The Dao of the Bizarre Immortal team!

Jaspaaar

9 minutes ago, ChaCha95 said:

I think it got censored a bit. I read the MTL chapters and it seems more brutal. The version we received was probably edited so it's not that offputting.

Huh... if the version we have now is censored, then I wanna read just how Bizarre and Bonkers the original version being translated would be...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Erudite_Birdy said:

I just want to thank all of you, Chacha, Char, and Darkhound, for an... interesting story. 

Thisiscertainlydifferent.png.f89c791ade59124c838c68fa98ce3fef.png

I'm looking forward to all those future chapters!

Knowing that you are one of the readers, I am both excited and dreading it a bit... Excited for the art that we will get in the comments, as well as the amazing discussion, and dreading (but also excited by the possible learning opportunities for me) the corrections I will be expecting... I have seen you go ham with those...

Just now, retired penguin said:

How many different nightmares has this novel given you and how many recurrent ones? 😄😄

Surprisingly, not that many... Compared to the visual horror provided by the images, I am more interested by the way our MC's mental state is slowly devolving... That slow descent into true madness is in my opinion the true horror of this story.

5 minutes ago, retired penguin said:

How many different nightmares has this novel given you and how many recurrent ones? 😄😄

It's actually not as bad as expected for myself, until I see the images of the well-drawn fan-art to give a sense of illustration what the characters might look like.

Other than that, I try not to think about what I read too much, or I might not be able to sleep well at night 😂

1 minute ago, AwesomeGrace said:

So as of right now, the MC doesn't know which world he's in, right? Is he more powerful in the ancient world or the modern world? Does the MC make a lot of enemies in the novel? Basically, how does he stay alive if he's so nuts?

So far, the MC has primarily been in the ancient/cultivation world. But, the catch is, any action he takes here, there's an equivalent in the modern world or vice versa... So him disembowelling himself here gets a similar thing happen to his modern world self. Or the scene where he gets shot in the modern world, but has an equivalent injury on the other side... And, the MC is not really nuts in my opinion. He is still logical. Its just that, he doesn't know which side to trust or believe and prioritize. 

6 minutes ago, ChaCha95 said:

Quite a lot. Mostly when I read it for the first time and then refer to the fanart haha

10 minutes ago, Chocobird said:

It's actually not as bad as expected for myself, until I see the images of the well-drawn fan-art to give a sense of illustration what the characters might look like.

Other than that, I try not to think about what I read too much, or I might not be able to sleep well at night 😂

Hearing you both say this, I wonder whether I am the abnormal one? I don't really mind the fanart... enjoy it to a certain extent too... to me, i don't really get affected by much of anything visually speaking. 

Am I weird? *insert "I don't need sleep, I need answers" meme

Edited by DarkHound

7 minutes ago, AwesomeGrace said:

So as of right now, the MC doesn't know which world he's in, right? Is he more powerful in the ancient world or the modern world? Does the MC make a lot of enemies in the novel? Basically, how does he stay alive if he's so nuts?

He has decided which world is real and seems to come up with reasons to explain that to himself. But as his actions also cause some reaction in the other world, it's remaining rather ambigious for now.

He's just a normal person in the modern world, so more powerful for sure in the ancient one!

He doesn't go around making enemies by himself, but there are many people targeting him due to various reasons. The world is also not very friendly in general, and it seems to be more of an exception if people help others out of goodwill.

The MC is actually quite logical and does plan ahead to keep him and his group alive and well. His mental state only affects him when he slips into those hallucinations, but otherwise he is pretty functional

4 minutes ago, DarkHound said:

Hearing you both say this, I wonder whether I am the abnormal one? I don't really mind the fanart... enjoy it to a certain extent too... to me, i don't really get affected by much of anything visually speaking. 

Am I weird?

I'm sure we're all affected differently by what we see/read/understand haha. So maybe we're more of visual learners while you might lean towards another aspect?

This story, so far, made me think of The Teachings of Don Juan Series by Carlos Castaneda. 
Here's the blurb for the series > Beginning with "The Teachings of Don Juan" in 1968 and ending with "The Active Side of Infinity" in 1998, Carlos Castaneda wrote a series of books that described his arduous training and associated awareness-expanding experiences under the guidance of Juan Matus and Genaro Flores from 1960 to 1973. 

In "Dao of the Bizarre Immortal" Li Huowang is having a difficult time dealing with the consequences of his consciousness undergoing a drastic change of perspective.

If I remember correctly, the seventh book, "The Fire from Within" has Don Juan go through a similar change of perspective (not the exact same one, just similar).

Here's a bit from a review of The Fire from Within.

"Seeing is a euphemism for moving the assemblage point."
"I have given you a detailed account of the two forces that aid our assemblage points to move: the earth's boost and the rolling force; plus the three techniques worked out by the new seers stalking, intent, and dreaming—and their effects on the movement of the assemblage point."

That movement is life-changing, but it's easy to see that it could easily go in an unfortunate direction, like Li Huowang in "Dao of the Bizarre Immortal."

There are zillions of printings so copies of the entire series should be easy to find in the Internet Archives, a free online library.

10 minutes ago, DarkHound said:

Am I weird?

I only like cute fanart lol. But if it was a magic trick, like if a woman came out of a vase, I would be more fascinated about that than scared. But if it looks scary in the picture, I would be more scared than fascinated. Haha

Just now, AwesomeGrace said:

So is there a clear end goal he's trying to achieve? Or we don't know. Ex. Some ppl aim to be the strongest and rule the world. 

For now, the MC is just trying to survive. His current goal is to get rid of his "hallucinations" and be able to survive in this world or whichever world is real... He doesn't care for power or authority or anything else... well, more like he doesn't yet have the ability to think about those things, which is realistic. If your life is in constant danger, you won't really think about becoming the ruler of the world or stuff.

28 minutes ago, AwesomeGrace said:

Well he's more powerful in the ancient world that's for sure, with all his powers and stuff. And the MC does have a lot of enemies in the novel but he also has a lot of allies. He's just living with his sheer willpower at this point tbh haha

3 minutes ago, AwesomeGrace said:

I only like cute fanart lol. But if it was a magic trick, like if a woman came out of a vase, I would be more fascinated about that than scared. But if it looks scary in the picture, I would be more scared than fascinated. Haha

ah yes... the infamous girl in the vase image... The image itself wouldn't be that disturbing if not accompanied by the description that was given in the novel when it was first introduced, and then how those vases are made later on... And I can see why people would find it scary, but to me, its weird look into a different genre I haven't experienced before.

• Like 1

Just now, AwesomeGrace said:

Do you guys know what is motivating him to keep going? Most people would probably just give up at this point, right? Does he have a love interest he's trying to return to?

So, the MC has a girlfriend in the Modern world as well as his parents, and on the flip side, has a lover in the cultivation world. He has reached close to his breaking point and nearly committed suicide at least a couple of times... But, the man is tenacious. And for now, he just wants to live a peaceful life. Another motivator for him right now is, taking his companions back to their homes. He feels responsible for them and their safety and wants to at least have all of them reach home safely before he kicks the bucket...

10 minutes ago, Erudite_Birdy said:

This story, so far, made me think of The Teachings of Don Juan Series by Carlos Castaneda. 
Here's the blurb for the series > Beginning with "The Teachings of Don Juan" in 1968 and ending with "The Active Side of Infinity" in 1998, Carlos Castaneda wrote a series of books that described his arduous training and associated awareness-expanding experiences under the guidance of Juan Matus and Genaro Flores from 1960 to 1973. 

In "Dao of the Bizarre Immortal" Li Huowang is having a difficult time dealing with the consequences of his consciousness undergoing a drastic change of perspective.

If I remember correctly, the seventh book, "The Fire from Within" has Don Juan go through a similar change of perspective (not the exact same one, just similar).

Here's a bit from a review of The Fire from Within.

"Seeing is a euphemism for moving the assemblage point."
"I have given you a detailed account of the two forces that aid our assemblage points to move: the earth's boost and the rolling force; plus the three techniques worked out by the new seers stalking, intent, and dreaming—and their effects on the movement of the assemblage point."

That movement is life-changing, but it's easy to see that it could easily go in an unfortunate direction, like Li Huowang in "Dao of the Bizarre Immortal."

There are zillions of printings so copies of the entire series should be easy to find in the Internet Archives, a free online library.

Sometimes, I am truly left in awe of just how well read you are or how you are able to find so much stuff... 

Anyway, glad to have a fellow Gourmet Gaming reader here, and look forward to your comments in the novel!

25 minutes ago, AwesomeGrace said:

Do you guys know what is motivating him to keep going? Most people would probably just give up at this point, right? Does he have a love interest he's trying to return to?

It's mostly the people he care about, or him finding out there might be a clue to cure his current predicarment. He definitely does have a love interest, Yang Na, but so far he's thinking that she's just an illusion but the author haven't written anything about whether she's real or not