Why Not Translate Novels With More Evil Mc's

Slowestbirthday

12 hours ago, VincentAtd said:

Because there are only small percentage of people who wants to read it.

It's about whether the stories will have more audiences.

That may or may not be management's perception, but idk if it's correct. At one point, the #1 story on this site (and on NovelUpdates at the time, I believe) was Warlock of the Magus world. Leylin isn't the most evil MC by any means, but he's still pretty god damned evil. Having an evil MC doesn't preclude popularity.

That said, of the 3 novels named in the OP, two appear to be shitty system novels, and the last is good but has run afoul of CN censors in the past. Not wanting to license them is pretty understandable.

1 hour ago, Slowestbirthday said:

All those novels I mentioned are among some of the most popular novels in nu. But ethics ig

if a novel isn’t translated, it’s not gonna be because the company’s ethics are so strong that they’ll refuse to publish it for having an “evil main character”, especially if it’s popular on places like novelupdates. it’s gonna be for practical reasons, like being unable to get the license or there being too much competition with illegal translations.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, Slowestbirthday said:

To get this forum up and running I want to ask something ig. I am genuinely curious on why some novels like

Why not? Is it because it is controversial or something? I am genuinely curious

I Am the Fated Villain - we actually considered this one a few months ago. But it already has 600+ chapters translated unofficially, meaning that it'd effectively take us a year to get to the starting line.

Ascending the Heavens - similar situation, and the unofficial translation is only slightly more than 100 chapters away from the end, which devalues it even more.

Reverend Insanity - already has a full translation, and the Chinese version is on hiatus right? 

We're not generally averse to evil protagonists as long as their motivations and actions make sense within the story. 

• Like 1

I'm not management so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think publishers don't translate books with evil mc because of ethics. It's just that there aren't a lot of these books around. I'm a big fan of Warlock of the Magus World and Reverend Insanity. And I have been looking for similar books for a couple of years now (including untranslated books) but I haven't been able to find any.

20 hours ago, pokka said:

I'm not management so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think publishers don't translate books with evil mc because of ethics. It's just that there aren't a lot of these books around. I'm a big fan of Warlock of the Magus World and Reverend Insanity. And I have been looking for similar books for a couple of years now (including untranslated books) but I haven't been able to find any.

I agree with this. Morals and Ethics are something to ponder on and it may potentially be easy to cross a line and anger/turn away readers. But I do hope for more... neutral MCs. One that do help those close to them while not pretending to be a good guy while also just killing people if needed. I think that's why I like ED/FIOTS, besides the fact that both MCs are op and old, they both are pretty neutral. They help if they feel like it or related to them but if you were getting killed and MC has absolutely no relations to you, they'd just keep walking. Only time they'll really step and put in effort is when someone is trying to sacrifice millions of people or do some extreme horrendous plan. 

On 10/21/2023 at 10:53 AM, JadeBeautiesInYourArea said:

That may or may not be management's perception, but idk if it's correct. At one point, the #1 story on this site (and on NovelUpdates at the time, I believe) was Warlock of the Magus world. Leylin isn't the most evil MC by any means, but he's still pretty god damned evil. Having an evil MC doesn't preclude popularity.

That said, of the 3 novels named in the OP, two appear to be shitty system novels, and the last is good but has run afoul of CN censors in the past. Not wanting to license them is pretty understandable.

I LOVE WMW.

Leylin was not evil for any emotional reason, he was terrifyingly evil solely in the pursuit of power, rather than a sadistic urge.

I absolutely want more evil mc translations, I hope some people who agree with me and have some novels in mind put them as translation suggestions.

1 hour ago, Penguinos said:

I LOVE WMW.

Leylin was not evil for any emotional reason, he was terrifyingly evil solely in the pursuit of power, rather than a sadistic urge.

I absolutely want more evil mc translations, I hope some people who agree with me and have some novels in mind put them as translation suggestions.

honestly leylin wasn’t really that evil at all until the part where he became a bioterrorist

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, Jaspaaar said:

I Am the Fated Villain - we actually considered this one a few months ago. But it already has 600+ chapters translated unofficially, meaning that it'd effectively take us a year to get to the starting line.

Ascending the Heavens - similar situation, and the unofficial translation is only slightly more than 100 chapters away from the end, which devalues it even more.

Reverend Insanity - already has a full translation, and the Chinese version is on hiatus right? 

We're not generally averse to evil protagonists as long as their motivations and actions make sense within the story. 

My Longevity Simulation

Can you translate this one? High quality novel and I think WW is the best place for it to get translated

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 11:24 PM, Slowestbirthday said:

To get this forum up and running I want to ask something ig. I am genuinely curious on why some novels like

Why not? Is it because it is controversial or something? I am genuinely curious

i think most of readers  do not like evil mc until or unless the evil mc is unique like fang yuan. most of author failed in this . they only make mc do evil things which make the story boring sooner or later. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are several characters in novels that kill without remorse. While not downright evil, they are quite often perceived as evil by others. There's also a new trend about people reincarnated as the villain in the story, or even minor stepping stone villains for the original novel MC,  and the things they do to escape that. 

And while not really evil, some characters would be characterized as Psychotic kind of amoral, and doing what's best for them. Put that into our society and that's evil. In the society of the book, it might border evil sometimes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good and Bad I think is just a matter of perspective, in fact most Chinese MC is not good.

Years ago, Transcending Vision MC, Xia Lei the protagonist, he's very patriotic towards his country so it's good right?, perhaps Chinese audience love it.

well it doesn't sit well with some people here in wuxiaworld and people view his patriotism as a bad thing. It is a matter of perspective 

Another example in literature is in OG Karate Kid, Daniel LaRusso is the protagonist who learned karate to defend himself from bullies..

Years later people perception changes, especially after Kobra Kai series premiere where people more inclined to believe LaRusso started the fight first and Johnny Lawrence was justified in his retaliation albeit might be a bit excessive.

LaRusso destroyed Lawrence's Radio

LaRusso make a move on Lawrence girl (they just recently break up back then, in a cool down period)

LaRusso dumped water on Lawrence in the toilet during Halloween party etc.

Like that one cultivation novel, yeah he's now crippled his cultivation

His fiancée family wants to dissolve/ annul the engagement (which I think yeah it's reasonable it's political marriage afterall)

MC vows to get back to them (as in destroy them) coz of this humiliation

THAT'S JUST PETTY AND EVIL🙈 Just be reasonable and move on man

• 2 weeks later...