Jump to content

Midasthefloof, the Absolute Resonance translator!


Jaspaaar

Recommended Posts

At 5pm GMT on Saturday 27th (which is 9am PST, 12pm for EST, and 1am Sunday for GMT+8), Midas, translator of Absolute Resonance, will be hosting a question and answer session!

Feel free to post your questions now in advance, and they'll be responded to once the event starts. You might be interested to know why Midas started translating, what he likes about AR, or simply what his hobby is. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My man Midas, really appreciate the translation of absolute resonance. Reading it was like the little joy that i had in my daily life after the long tiring day of work. The thing that you look forward to daily. Thanks man!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a big ? First I appreciate everything u have done with translating but have also seen how far behind we are to other sites we used to do 2 a day like 2 years I think ago or so been a min but see that lu lu can possibly go up to 9 perl is there a way for us to get caught up like the other sites Trans are very very bad u guys are on point but can we get a mass release possibly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's your favourite detail of the cultivation system in Absolute Resonance?

Who's your favourite background character and why?

What's something annoying you've had to deal with while translating?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't wait to start answering the questions 😛 but will start with a few as a teaser!

For the first question, it was a bit of luck that I was fortunate enough to do this. I had just finished translating Heaven's Devourer and was looking for a new novel. Heavenly Silkworm Potato (HSP) had just released this novel and was keen to get wuxiaworld to get on it immediately and whilst the original team of yeow and aran were still doing Dragon Prince Yuan (DPY), I hopped in. 

That said, I was super keen because Battle Through The Heavens (BTTH) was the second novel I ever read on WW so i've always loved HSP's works.

Edited by Midasthefloof
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2024 at 9:51 AM, psurfer said:

How big do you expect this translation to be? 

Big as in what sort of media will be built around it? I do think AR is already quite huge! It has a manga, mobile game and has a devoted fanbase (in china) 😛

if you're talking about chapters, I'd expect this to go to around 2k chapters at least.

 

On 1/26/2024 at 10:07 AM, ChaoZ said:

Thanks for translating! How'd you get into it? And How'd you end up picking AR to translate ?

Thank you so much. So an interesting story... I started as a reader much like all of you and very very quickly got sucked into reading for hours after hours till the wee hours of the morning and this was around the point when wuxiaworld had around 8 novels or so. The novel release rate never felt enough and I started to check out the raws. At the same time, it seemed like a fun hobby and the community was so wonderful I decided I had to give back in some small way. 

I actually started off translating with Radiant Translations (If anyone actually remembers that) and my very very first work was Tempest of the Stellar War (I still really like the novel so give it a shot!) I followed the novel to webnovel for a while (Till Chapter 1000) before finally coming back full circle to the place that sucked me in, WW. Finished Heaven's Devourer and then went to AR and here I am. 

Edited by Midasthefloof
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2024 at 10:07 AM, Usuxmyballs said:

My man Midas, really appreciate the translation of absolute resonance. Reading it was like the little joy that i had in my daily life after the long tiring day of work. The thing that you look forward to daily. Thanks man!

Thank you my man!
 

On 1/26/2024 at 10:15 AM, nekobowling said:

Thank you for the translation.  With all the characters, would it be possible to get an index so we can jump to the previous chapters where the characters were written in?  Thank you 

I'll need to see how I can get this feasibly done... but it is a good idea!

On 1/26/2024 at 11:17 AM, Disquser said:

What's the best thing about Li Luo compared to other MCs?

What triggers you in AR?

Best thing about Li Luo? I like that he's a rich young master 😄 I mean most protagonists often have godly talent and like people always look at them like they are some sort of plebby weak dudes but its refreshing to see him skip the formulae occasionally and just face slap random enemies instead of having to do a contrived work around or something. That said there are some occasional times where he does get underestimated but hey, its all in a day of a chinese webnovel 😛

What triggers me? I think the most irritating thing in mind right now is how people always see him as an Outer Divine Continent peasant sorta thing. The dude has an epic background and has godly talent so having people still look down on him is a little frustrating at times. That said, things seem to be changing in the novel so lets see how that ends up...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2024 at 12:17 PM, Wang Wan said:

What's your experiences after all this time translating AR? Comparing with your previous translation?

 

Thank you

My second novel, Heaven's Devourer was a relatively early work of the author and you can clearly see how it was rough around the edges. The benefit of translating AR is that this is an author who has mastered the fast food genre of novels and so he knows how to hook readers in and how to push the plot along. HSP isn't an Er Gen but there are fun bits and often trying to translate these anecdotes effectively such that they convey the same meaning is always fun 🙂

On 1/26/2024 at 2:01 PM, Speeder said:

Have a big ? First I appreciate everything u have done with translating but have also seen how far behind we are to other sites we used to do 2 a day like 2 years I think ago or so been a min but see that lu lu can possibly go up to 9 perl is there a way for us to get caught up like the other sites Trans are very very bad u guys are on point but can we get a mass release possibly 

Thanks! Part of the reason why we don't do 2/day is because the author is only releasing 1/day. Even if we catch up to the raws, the author's pace is something we can't control. That said the small gap to the latest raws is part of my stash 🙂 Perhaps we might do a mini release some time down the road to close the gap alittle.

On 1/26/2024 at 2:30 PM, DanimalWilly said:

Thanks for the hard work, I really enjoy this series. What do you like that is different about this series from the rest? What do you perhaps dislike about it?

Thank you too! I personally like the power system in this novel. It's a breath of fresh air instead of the usual standard leveling system which doesnt tell you much other than higher rank = better than lower rank. Each tier in the power system has its own little quirk and unique power and its clear HSP has spent some time making it interesting. 

What do I dislike? It's good and bad it has a typical sort of story but things have been pretty vanilla so far (crappy starting continent -> moved to more advanced continent -> ???) I'm hoping to see some massive shakeup in the story hopefully. It be cool if all the continents exploded uncontrollably and Li Luo now needs to figure out a way to restore stuff idk im dreaming here 😛

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2024 at 5:57 PM, xax said:

Thanks for the work, In your opinion what is the most used idiom/descriptive phrase used in this novel?

You know how Li Luo is always looked down upon because he's from the Outer Divine Continent but yknow he's got triple resonances? If only he had more time he'd be so much stronger...

16 hours ago, Osa said:

Thanks for the hardwork Midas!

My question is, will HSP ever return to increasing his output so that we can return to 2 chapters a day?

Thanks once again!

Great question! I think the odds aren't super likely because HSP is spending alot of his effort into turning his works into an entire world of media, including dramas, mangas etc etc. that said I do think a drama/anime for AR might be coming... we will see if that does happen 🙂

 

14 hours ago, W0lf said:

What's your favourite detail of the cultivation system in Absolute Resonance?

Who's your favourite background character and why?

What's something annoying you've had to deal with while translating?

My favourite detail? I really like the resonance system. I've always liked how Douluo Dalu had the spirit beast rings and stuff that gave interesting affinities to their characters. Similarly, I do like the variety of resonances and how they give people a sort of reason as to why some are better at combat/healing etc. I also like the gradual leveling process of the system. Each tier builds up to the next rather organically (e.g. Fiend palace involves tempering resonance palaces, then you upgrade the body, then you absorb energy to bolster yourself before you go to the next tier and form pearls which help you absorb more energy from the world to power you up etc etc.) and I like how its not just a simple number go up system.    

Favourite background character? I'm a Yu Lang fan. It's always fun to translate his interactions with the crew. I hope he comes back soon 🙂 

Something annoying? Just like you guys, I find it really annoying when the author keeps repeating the same points over 3 lines to say the same thing. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Slowestbirthday said:

Can you rank all of the Heavenly Silkworm Potato's books?

Personally? Unfortunately I didn't read TGR so I can't gauge it.

BTTH > AR > DPY > WDQK

BTTH only wins because it has a special place in my heart, it was the first HSP novel I read. AR is objectively better in most ways. DPY is great, it reminds me a little of AR but the cheatcode known as the female MC took away a little of the suspense in the novel. WDQK was alright, but the rest were better 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I considered reading AR, but I was afraid that it would turn out like GR where the MC is usually dealing with sect and social politics and never travels apart from a group or not as part of a school or organization. WDQK had some of these issues though it was still relatively minor, it was only in GR that this really became pronounced, MC almost NEVER traveled alone ( or at least with a group of peers that aren't a part of some larger organization). Whenever the guy went out he went out as part of a school or sect contingent and as a member or representative of that organization he was in, and this was like nearly 90% of the time. It was only a bit around the beginning and at the end that he did travel alone and even then he didn't do much traveling. Most of the time he was entangled with his sect and could't get away from them.

 

Yuanzun had the same problems, he was either travelling with his OP waifu or else with his sect or as part of his sect. It's not really a cultivation novel unless the MC does some travelling and training in the wilds alone dammit! (grandpas in rings don't count as they are there for guidance and moral support for the most part, along with the occasional leg up). BTTH was the only one of Potato's works where I felt like the MC (Xiao Yan) was actually going on a cultivation journey. Although he did travel with other companions apart from Grandpa Yao Chen, they simply felt

 

If AR's cultivation system is as interesting as it's made out to be and Potato did not go this route where the MC is mostly holding hands with bigger organizations wherever he goes, I might give AR a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:25 PM, Daoist_Badguy said:

I considered reading AR, but I was afraid that it would turn out like GR where the MC is usually dealing with sect and social politics and never travels apart from a group or not as part of a school or organization. WDQK had some of these issues though it was still relatively minor, it was only in GR that this really became pronounced, MC almost NEVER traveled alone ( or at least with a group of peers that aren't a part of some larger organization). Whenever the guy went out he went out as part of a school or sect contingent and as a member or representative of that organization he was in, and this was like nearly 90% of the time. It was only a bit around the beginning and at the end that he did travel alone and even then he didn't do much traveling. Most of the time he was entangled with his sect and could't get away from them.

 

Yuanzun had the same problems, he was either travelling with his OP waifu or else with his sect or as part of his sect. It's not really a cultivation novel unless the MC does some travelling and training in the wilds alone dammit! (grandpas in rings don't count as they are there for guidance and moral support for the most part, along with the occasional leg up). BTTH was the only one of Potato's works where I felt like the MC (Xiao Yan) was actually going on a cultivation journey. Although he did travel with other companions apart from Grandpa Yao Chen, they simply felt

 

If AR's cultivation system is as interesting as it's made out to be and Potato did not go this route where the MC is mostly holding hands with bigger organizations wherever he goes, I might give AR a try.

 If you put it that way, there's a bit of both. But even then, its less overt when compared to say DPY. First continent definitely has more "self sufficiency" built into it. The second continent is a change of pace and has that bit too. It's no Er Gen novel but its good fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...