Seth, the First Immortal of the Sword translator!

Jaspaaar

4 minutes ago, KenshinX said:

Per Jaspaaar's suggestions 

So, what are your hobbies Seth? ☺️

This is probably not surprising, but I looooove language learning. In addition to Chinese/classical Chinese, I'm pretty good at Japanese (like, raw anime-watching) and decent at Korean. 

I also really like drawing. I'm into comics and zines, and printmaking... Art in general, I guess. I'll probably share my work with my readers at some point, but not yet.

I like cooking, too. And throwing dinner parties!

Just now, KenshinX said:

What other novels has this author, Xiao JinYu, written? 

Is he a popular author in China?

Talisman Emperor and the Prodigies War. IMO, FIOTS (his most recent work) is also his best. He's not the most popular author, but he's reasonably well known and his novels do well. He makes a living, but I don't think he's rich like, say, TJSS

Seth, you should use this opportunity to promote your social media and art 😛 . Seth is a very talented young man! Thank you for all the hard work you put into your translations! I get the newbies to check out your novel and tell them, "This is what you should aim for." 😉 

• Like 1

Hey Seth, it’s nice to meet you 🤗.

I have not caught up to the latest chapter yet, but i just wanna tickle your brain. If it’s spoilers, then don’t tell me. Regarding the Wilds, it was mentioned from Su Yi that the Wilds was a sort of prison and the ruins were there as some sort of seal. Is it safe to say that the Wilds is more of a treasure trove rather than a prison? The ruins are more like a protection formation against invaders. Tho this is questionable as well cause of the title “jailers.”

32 minutes ago, Albatross said:

This is probably not surprising, but I looooove language learning. In addition to Chinese/classical Chinese, I'm pretty good at Japanese (like, raw anime-watching) and decent at Korean. 

I also really like drawing. I'm into comics and zines, and printmaking... Art in general, I guess. I'll probably share my work with my readers at some point, but not yet.

I like cooking, too. And throwing dinner parties!

Talisman Emperor and the Prodigies War. IMO, FIOTS (his most recent work) is also his best. He's not the most popular author, but he's reasonably well known and his novels do well. He makes a living, but I don't think he's rich like, say, TJSS

안녕하세요 세트님

만나서 반갑습니다

저는 지금 한국어도 배우고 있어요.

Looking forward to seeing some of your artistic  🎨🖌️📸 and cooking 🍰🥘🍜🥟🍩 endeavours 👍

I read at least 1000 chapters of Talisman Emperor before I was forced to drop it due to real life intervening. Didn't realise it's by XJY; apart from Er Gen, I've hardly paid any attention to who the authors of the novels were. 🤦🏻

Shall have to do better 😔

Btw, who is TJSS?

😔

Edited by KenshinX
Add question

1 hour ago, AwesomeGrace said:

Seth, you should use this opportunity to promote your social media and art 😛 . Seth is a very talented young man! Thank you for all the hard work you put into your translations! I get the newbies to check out your novel and tell them, "This is what you should aim for." 😉 

Ah! Do you really?? Suddenly bashful. But flattered! Thank you, Grace!

I have vague plans to do a xianxia-inspired ~50 page comic in the near future, which I was planning to use to introduce my stuff to readers. Got the whole thing planned! I swear! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiscreteAsura said:

Hey Seth, it’s nice to meet you 🤗.

I have not caught up to the latest chapter yet, but i just wanna tickle your brain. If it’s spoilers, then don’t tell me. Regarding the Wilds, it was mentioned from Su Yi that the Wilds was a sort of prison and the ruins were there as some sort of seal. Is it safe to say that the Wilds is more of a treasure trove rather than a prison? The ruins are more like a protection formation against invaders. Tho this is questionable as well cause of the title “jailers.”

Gonna answer these both at once, then close this tab and translate until bedtime.

Hard to answer this while avoiding spoiler without knowing where you are in the novel. I'll try my best. 

There's a lot we don't know about the relationship between the various star ruins and the Nine Heavens Pavilion, but I think it's fair to say that the worlds they target are more treasure trove than prison. We do know that the Jailers, after destroying the worlds associated with (but still quite far away from) the Wilds will try to collect their world seeds and use their cultivators as medicine, so you could argue that the "prison" thing is just a pretext. Is there more to it than that? We don't know yet!

The Nine Heavens Pavilion hasn't attacked the Wilds with anything like the Prohibition of Ancient Darkness, but they do definitely want things that can be found there. So yes, arguably more treasure trove than prison.

I don't think I can say much more than that without spoiling anything. It's still a mystery!

49 minutes ago, KenshinX said:

안녕하세요 세트님

만나서 반갑습니다

저는 지금 한국어도 배우고 있어요.

Looking forward to seeing some of your artistic  🎨🖌️📸 and cooking 🍰🥘🍜🥟🍩 endeavours 👍

I read at least 1000 chapters of Talisman Emperor before I was forced to drop it due to real life intervening. Didn't realise it's by XJY; apart from Er Gen, I've hardly paid any attention to who the authors of the novels were. 🤦🏻

Shall have to do better 😔

Btw, who is TJSS?

😔

Ah, I want to type a response, but I only have a Korean keyboard installed on my phone. Nice to meet a fellow language learner, though!

No shame in that, especially since the names can be hard to remember in English. Looks like you figured it out already, but TJSS is the author of the Soul Land/Douluo Dalu series, among others. That guy makes bank! Whereas Xiao Jinyu seems to get by, but he's always begging for monthly tickets in the author notes. 

But like, a professional author is a professional author! 

Ah, the downsides of stockpiling chapters, didn't see the note about a Q&A until just now haha. 
I too wanted to say I very much appreciate the footnotes (and of course the solid translation!)

I recently caught up with Beyond the Timescape, and I think I may like it better than AWE. Definitely worth your checking out if you find the time. 

Don't really have any novel related questions that haven't already been answered, so if you come back to the thread and feel like answering another question, how about how many places have you lived, and what was your favorite location to live and why?

Cheers!

22 hours ago, DreamweaverMirar said:

Ah, the downsides of stockpiling chapters, didn't see the note about a Q&A until just now haha. 
I too wanted to say I very much appreciate the footnotes (and of course the solid translation!)

I recently caught up with Beyond the Timescape, and I think I may like it better than AWE. Definitely worth your checking out if you find the time. 

Don't really have any novel related questions that haven't already been answered, so if you come back to the thread and feel like answering another question, how about how many places have you lived, and what was your favorite location to live and why?

Cheers!

It's similar to how when the experts of a sect go into seclusion, they miss out on important developments! It's an unfortunate but inevitable consequence of going into seclusion.

Thank you! Yeah, I can definitely find the time. Gotta get to it! 

I've lived in... a small town in Pennsylvania, New York City, Princeton, Saint Paul, Iowa, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Lanzhou (in China's Gansu province), and Sandorfalva, Hungary. That's nine places in total. I think that's all of them? Honestly, I definitely like Saint Paul the best. Minnesota isn't like... special or anything? But it's got most of the advantages of a big city without all the stress and expense, the people are relatively chill, and I've built a really nice life for myself here. I liked Lanzhou, the place I studied abroad, too, but I would choose a different city if I went back to China. The big American cities I lived in are great to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there even if I could afford it.