Jump to content

Seth, the First Immortal of the Sword translator!


Jaspaaar

Recommended Posts

At 2am GMT on Sunday 21st (which is Saturday at 6pm for PST, 9pm for EST, and Sunday at 10am for GMT+8), Seth, translator of First Immortal of the Sword, will be hosting a question and answer session!

Feel free to post your questions now in advance, and they'll be responded to once the event starts. You might be interested to know why Seth started translating, what he likes about FIOTS, or simply what his hobby is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heya Seth! How many chapters will this novel have? Also when will Su Yi leave the wilds and go to the depths of starry skies? How did you end up choosing to translate this novel, was it its amazing rankings or the plot?

Thanks!

Edited by abcibimb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will Su Yi ever upgrade his bamboo wicker chair?

Will Su Yi continue to quote poetry?

Will we eventually find out Qing Wan's background?

What happened to the baby Jade-Eyed Crimson Flamebeast that Su Yi promised to keep by his side and train?

(Ch 162) Su Yi poked the little guy’s soft belly. “Its spirit bone is barely passable, but I’m not sure whether the trace of True Spirit lineage in its blood is pure or not. Out of consideration for your assistance in establishing my Dao, I can keep it by my side and train it up.”

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 8.19.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 8.25.13 PM.png

Edited by Erudite_Birdy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2024 at 11:18 AM, Thesenamestaken said:

Will we see more of Qing Wang or has she been forgotten?

PS Love to Seth-nim <3

I think it goes without saying that asking this means you don't mind spoilers, but for anyone else reading this.... avert your gazes if you're sensitive!

....

....

....

Yes, we will see Qing Wan again. Sooner than you might think, even. 

Also, thank you!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2024 at 7:18 PM, abcibimb said:

Heya Seth! How many chapters will this novel have? Also when will Su Yi leave the wilds and go to the depths of starry skies? How did you end up choosing to translate this novel, was it its amazing rankings or the plot?

Thanks!

1) FIOTS is ongoing, so that remains to be seen. It's currently at 3226 chapters, though, so I'll be busy with this novel for at least another three years.

2) Soon! SPOILER INCOMING. Specifically, he leaves the Wilds at the end of chapter 1231.

3) At the time I was hired, we were about to launch five new novels. One, another translator had already claimed, so I got to pick from the remaining four, all projects that launched around the same time as FIOTS. I read the first chapter of each, narrowed it down to two, read a bit further, then made my choice. I chose FIOTS over my second choice because it seemed both more up my alley and more up our readers' alley. Really strong start, and a confirmed hit of an author. I liked the bits of poetry and the deliberateness of Su Yi's reincarnation.

So I did choose this novel, but out of a very limited selection; I don't have any power over what novels WW chooses to take on.

I jumped right into translating before really reading much ahead. That's always risky, as I wasn't sure if FIOTS would continue to be interesting or if it'd fizzle out after a few hundred chapters. I'd hate to be stuck translating a dud! Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet. I'm definitely still enjoying it, and in some ways like it better than the earlier chapters. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Erudite_Birdy said:

Will Su Yi ever upgrade his bamboo wicker chair?

Will Su Yi continue to quote poetry?

Will we eventually find out Qing Wan's background?

What happened to the baby Jade-Eyed Crimson Flamebeast that Su Yi promised to keep by his side and train?

(Ch 162) Su Yi poked the little guy’s soft belly. “Its spirit bone is barely passable, but I’m not sure whether the trace of True Spirit lineage in its blood is pure or not. Out of consideration for your assistance in establishing my Dao, I can keep it by my side and train it up.”

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 8.19.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 8.25.13 PM.png

1) Will Su Yi ever upgrade his bamboo wicker chair?

Not anytime soon, alas. The novel's ongoing, and I'm not fully caught up, so it's possible it happens later, though.

2) Will Su Yi continue to quote poetry?

I've been seeing more quotes from the Dao De Jing and less poetry lately. That said, yes, you can expect to see poetry. The amount of it has definitely decreased, but it seems to vary arc by arc, and the author definitely enjoys sprinkling bits of classical poetry on the text for flavor.

Will we eventually find out Qing Wan's background?

Yes! Qing Wan hasn't been forgotten. She really was neglected for too long, right?? Especially since the author himself said she's his favorite girl (If I recall correctly), and i can tell that she's a fan favorite. Don't worry though; we'll see more of her.

What happened to the baby Jade-Eyed Crimson Flamebeast that Su Yi promised to keep by his side and train?

It's possible this could happen in later chapters, but I doubt it. I did a text search of the full 3000+ chapters, and saw no mention of Chini past chapter 400. =/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I deleted the first announcement when I made a second one. Not smart. Should have checked to see what questions people left there, as I know there were a few. Sigh. Anyway, I'm going to just translate for now, but I'll keep an eye on this over the next hour, and check in occasionally for the next few days. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Seth,

Want you to know I appreciate the translation and the footnotes so much 💕❤️💓

May I ask if you'll consider making a glossary of the characters and the different levels of cultivation? 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Erudite_Birdy said:

Thanks, Seth, for committing to translate this massive story. I look forward to reading it every day and your footnotes are fun and helpful!

My pleasure! It's definitely a big project, but it's been great so far! The footnotes are an unpaid labor of love, so always nice to hear they're appreciated. Thank you too for all your comments and additional info!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KenshinX said:

Hello Seth,

Want you to know I appreciate the translation and the footnotes so much 💕❤️💓

May I ask if you'll consider making a glossary of the characters and the different levels of cultivation? 

 

Thank you!

I keep meaning to update the glossary. It's like... a thousand chapters old at this point. Sigh.

Yes. I should give myself a deadline and just kinda... do it. It's way overdue, and I know that at this point, there are a LOT of names and terms to keep track of. I don't think it'll take me that long, either. 

Let's say I'll have an updated glossary in place by the end of the month. It won't have ~everything~ but I can at least give you Su Yi's weapons, Laws, disciples, friends, the major sects of the starry skies, and the known cultivation levels. 

Edited by Albatross
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not an urgent need Seth, please don't pressure yourself to get it up by the end of the month. Today's already the 21st of the month !

It's just something nice to have and be able to refer to when one has no idea who this/that character is when he suddenly pops up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will the story remain as interesting as it is now as it progresses towards the later end of chapters or get even more interesting? Hopefully it won't feel stretched.

Thanks!

Edited by abcibimb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, abcibimb said:

Will the story remain as interesting as it is now as it progresses towards the later end of chapters or get even more interesting? Hopefully it won't feel stretched.

Your mileage may vary, as we all have different tastes. Personally? I'm still actively enjoying the novel. The next few hundred chapters have like... a few bits and pieces that don't quite work? But I'm really enjoying learning about Su Yi's past lives, and the worldbuilding is increasingly interesting. I am not all the way caught up, nor do I know how long the novel will last, as it's still ongoing. It might go downhill at some point, but IMO it hasn't yet.

There's so much interesting stuff going on that I think the author struggles with juggling it all, aha. Some things get dropped for too long (like Qing Wan) or forgotten (like Chi Ni). But I'm still having fun!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, KenshinX said:

It's not an urgent need Seth, please don't pressure yourself to get it up by the end of the month. Today's already the 21st of the month !

It's just something nice to have and be able to refer to when one has no idea who this/that character is when he suddenly pops up. 

I appreciate the understanding, but I think I can manage to at least like... get the ball rolling again. Ideally I'd update it once a month or so to prevent it from ever becoming overwhelming. And that's totally understandable; I often perform text searches on the novel for that exact reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Albatross said:

I appreciate the understanding, but I think I can manage to at least like... get the ball rolling again. Ideally I'd update it once a month or so to prevent it from ever becoming overwhelming. And that's totally understandable; I often perform text searches on the novel for that exact reason

Re glossary

I respectfully request that the Chinese characters be included for the names (people, weapons, cultivation, places, beasts etc) and the chapter (+ link if possible) where the character/ thing first appears in the novel.

 

And,  chapter (+links, if possible) where the character pops up again but only if it's an important juncture of the story. Eg not dual cultivation parts 🙄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KenshinX said:

Re glossary

I respectfully request that the Chinese characters be included for the names (people, weapons, cultivation, places, beasts etc) and the chapter (+ link if possible) where the character/ thing first appears in the novel.

 

And,  chapter (+links, if possible) where the character pops up again but only if it's an important juncture of the story. Eg not dual cultivation parts 🙄

Sure. A relatively small percentage of readers know enough Chinese for that to be useful, but those who appreciate will really appreciate it, and it never hurts. 

As for chapter links, I'll see what I can manage. Definitely not every appearance, but including first appearances and such is a good idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The footnotes are an unpaid labor of love.."

I - same as many, if not all readers, enjoy the footnotes so much. They greatly enhance my enjoyment of the novel 💘.

Your labour of love is reciprocated with truckloads of love! ♥️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🤎😘🥰😍

And tq for introducing Paul Rouzer ; I have got a copy of the primer book but have only read a few chapters so far.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AwesomeGrace said:

Seth! How did you discover Wuxiaworld and what's your favourite novel on our site? 😉 Also, any tips for readers who want to learn Chinese? Teach them how to be hardcore and pro like you! 

Hey! I know you!

I am (not so secretly) a weeb, and I spent much of my teenage years reading manga on pirate sites. After stumbling upon the Tales of Demons and Gods manhua on one such pirate site, I was hooked! But I ran out of chapters quickly. Did a bit of googling and found out that there was a novel, and the rest was history! 

I really like Er Gen (and Deathblade's) work. A common answer, I know, but like, they're popular for a reason! I liked AWE a bit better than ISSTH, but I loved them both. Haven't gotten around to reading the new one yet, but it's definitely on my list. Really gotta find time to read more in English.

If you wanna learn Chinese... Honestly, I could write a whole essay about this. I think the big thing is to a) take responsibility for your own learning (as opposed to relying on school/a partner/your environment) and to take advantage of the internet. Private tutoring is cheaper than in-person classes (at least in the states) and you can find tons of resources and native speakers for free. Don't cripple yourself by clinging to outdated methods that people only resorted to in the pre-internet era because it was that or moving abroad.

If you're not getting lots of one-on-one time with native speakers, you're doing it wrong. If you're a native/proficient English speaker, there's no excuse!! Get out there and talk to people! Chinese people are (usually) really helpful and friendly!

I am not /anti/ classroom learning. It's good for those who like structure and community. But it's not necessary, and if you do take that approach, remember that your goal is to learn the language, not to get a good grade. Make sure you supplement with speaking practice, and don't do the whole "cram before a test, then forget everything" thing because you like... need to know those words. Don't get so caught up with your assignments and tests that you forget what your actual goal is.

(If you're after specific resources, Italki, skritter, fluentu, and the Chairman's Bao are great.) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, KenshinX said:

"The footnotes are an unpaid labor of love.."

I - same as many, if not all readers, enjoy the footnotes so much. They greatly enhance my enjoyment of the novel 💘.

Your labour of love is reciprocated with truckloads of love! ♥️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🤎😘🥰😍

And tq for introducing Paul Rouzer ; I have got a copy of the primer book but have only read a few chapters so far.

 

 

 

!!! Nice, that's exciting! That's my favorite professor!

I worked through half the book in class, and the remaining half with a friend. I particularly loved the stories about assassins; they're totally bonkers. I strongly recommend making it at least that far!

And thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...