Good novel recomendations.

FreedomDao

Disclaimer: I am very salty due to the low level of almost all new novels releasing currently

I have read almost all of the OG ww novels, since I've been here since around 2019ish. I'm looking for a novel that is

A) Not sex focused or whatever keyboard immortal and that one with the phoenix 12 tower cock or something like that are. I am not against harem per se, but most authors think that having a harem has to be all the plot in the novel for some reason(against the gods is an example of this, so is keyboard immortal, spirit vessel(i dont remember this one all that well) and maaany others I've read here.) 

B) With writing that makes cultivation actually sound like they're actually having to understand the laws(looking at Desolate Era) or even cultivating beyond "i am ultra genius so I cultivate for one second" or "I ate a fruit now I understand the laws of life" or something like that. I want to understand the power levels beyond cool names.
or 
C) With actual depth in the power system.
or
D) with actual plot other than wow vengeance or wow I have to kill big bad or wow I dont wanna be the good guy(proceeds to be the good guy)

most novels that are currently released are just some samey power system that works mostly the same: Eat pill get strong become weak against someone stronger eat pill, with no depth to the power system other than "i can cut a mountain now" or "wow now I have to understand laws(novel proceeds to not talk directly about this at all(first immortal of the sword, the sovereings acension and many others fit right here)" . I cant take this anymore, as these are pretty much 90% of what's been releasing these last 2 years(with rare exceptions).

I want a novel that is depth heavy, like Unsheathed for ex, or something that is completely different in at least some way, like coiling dragon for ex that did it's own thing.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2023 at 10:57 PM, FreedomDao said:

furthermore, almost all novels I have in fact spent time reading in totality started being translated in the old ww days, long before new ui. I cannot understand why there has been such a drop in overall quality/depth. Did ww actually go through all good authors?

It could also be that you consumed so much novels that the well kinda dried up and/or you're so used to them that only higher-quality novels will fit your taste. Kind of like if you tried this new culture's food and loved it, you don't care that much for quality until time passes, then your expectations keep going up and up. Similar to how some gamers may find every game boring cause they play too much games, esp a specific type of games. Maybe a break that ventures into completely different territory (genres) that you aren't used to/you may think you dislike may help freshen things up for you?

But I agree with the points you made. It's definitely not the "quality has decreased", that's similar to saying "music has gone down hill!!!" it's more so that there's just a huge influx of novels coming out and the one that has quality to them are shooting out at a slow pace and being shadowed by the crappier ones.

• Like 1

Unsheathed is one of my favourites. CP is a captivating little guy that is unexpected as MC. The entire novel is not the norm per say even though it is a cultivation novel. As much an ensemble cast as you can get without removing the MC.

Beyond the Timescape has a refreshing approach and the world building while not unique has much that is original. An Er Gen novel, you cannot go wrong. Translated by DeathBlade gives you more information than you could ask for to truly help understand. 

A mortals Journey to Immortality reads as a cultivation novel but the MC Han Li is what drives it. He is methodical, highly intelligent, ruthless when needed and a workaholic. There are no short cuts, no miraculous powers up every second chapter. He started with nothing and clawed his way up. Loosing his cultivation more than once and having to near start over. The sequel is currently being translated as well.

Yama rising. A hilarious short novel with an MC that most times you want to put over your knee and spank. Highly intelligent, self centered with a penchant for being a bit of a coward. 

These would be my picks for you to take a gander at..

I've am/was reading all of those.

I got pissed at yama risings ending a bit

Han Li loses me at chapter 1596. It just gets too repetitive at some point.

as for CP... I am still midway beetween liking and hating him. He's too much of a pushover. But I do love his novel

Beyond the Timescape and everything ergen does is good so I don't really have much to say abt that.

• Like 1

Have you checked out Subterranean Seascape? It's really different from a lot of the Chinese novels on here. You may really enjoy the novelty of it. I know I sure do. 

I also recommend Star Odyssey for the same reason. And Lu Yin is just like you described, he has to understand the world. Honestly his biggest strength is "street smarts". Also he only loves one woman, similar to Meng Hao.

If you want to talk about someone who isn't a hero and relies on understanding of the world than Warlock of Magus world is great. If you make it to chapter 300 the book really takes off.

The Korean novels have a much faster pace and can be a good palete cleanser when the Chinese novels slow down. Praise the Orc and Seoul Stations Necromancer are mindless fun. 

Absolute Resonance is a pretty traditional and high quality Chinese novel, with the twist that the main character has 0 arrogance and will immediately back out of a losing battle.

You might like Fields of Gold to read something different and re-sensitize your nerves.

The Grandmaster Strategist is incredibly deep and intellectual.  You might like that.

• Like 2

@FreedomDao

Thanks for posting this topic. Good questions. 

To summarize:

In my own words, my understanding of what you want:

• high quality
  • no harem
  • cultivation: takes you on the journey with them, so you also see the "Dao" with them
  • cultivation system that makes sense
  • proper plot

Long answer:

What novels have you read, so that I/we on this thread, may not recommend them? 

I have made a list of novels on WuxiaWorld, as of today, and posted it in the Math love thread (as it seemed to belong there, what, with recording and all). 

Short answer:

These are my general 

image.png.7a107b346f6563a30d5d511f43013150.png

Caution:

• The Nebula's Civilization (TNC) is still in serialization. I am a big fan of it; I am an editor for the fandom wiki.
  • The Grandmaster Strategist - if you can get past the MC being a Gary Stu - too smart - really interesting novel. Good writing.
  • I did not finish Etranger, per se. I read perhaps the first 50% and skipped to the end. The first 50% was mind-blowing, mind you. It just got a bit boring towards the middle. Really describes the power system well. Really, really good. 
  • Genius Detective - I dropped this novel unfortunately about, I dunno, 40/140 chapters in. It got too scary.
  • The Second Coming of Gluttony - for power systems, awesome. Reason the rating is so low (still an S-class), is because of the side stories. Don't read them.
  • The Charm of Soul Pets - read a few, dropped. Good as it was for the few chaps.
  • I Have a Sword -ONLY, ONLY read the first 20 chapters or so, the first small arc. The humor was refreshing then.
  • Fortunately, I Met You - didn't finish. Dropped. Psychological novel. Got a bit intense for me. But really well written.
  • The Novel's Extra - Gary Stu main character, though, entertaining. Don't read the last 50 chapters or so. I didn't read the side stories.
  • 1st Floor Boss - I dropped this for some reason, but it was quite interesting in the beginning. I might have dropped it because of time.

Webnovel:

For deep power systems. Supreme Magus on webnovel, I think is the best. Caution: I stopped reading after Chapter 2000 though, got too expensive. Unfortunately that's the thing on webnovel.

The Way of Choices (webnovel) - excellent novel. Makes you think. The writing style was just awesome. But then it got canned - so stop reading about 50 chapters before the end. 

Hope this helps!!

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

green means I like it/recommend it
orange means dropped( usually read until 80% and then the author did not know how to end his story, or after some huge quality drop early on)
bright yellow means hiatus but I'd read it 

dark yellow means shitty ending but decent novel

red means horrible ending or harem.

grey means it's too fast paced to the point I couldn't get past 100 chapters.

image.thumb.png.0e0c95d997d94f2b15904d7858feeebe.png

WuxiaWorld Novel Rankings (2023-12-05).xlsx

• Like 1

now its better: 
image.thumb.png.8bbc1eb930c3098d2c17a5798f18d8dc.png

bright green(like nebulas green. I am bad at describing colors) means it's reallllly good.

green means I recommend it but it's mid
orange means dropped( usually read until 80% and then the author did not know how to end his story, or after some huge quality drop early on)
bright yellow means hiatus but I'd read it 

dark yellow(etranger) means shitty ending but decent novel

red means horrible ending or harem.

grey means it's too fast paced to the point I couldn't get past 100 chapters.

WuxiaWorld Novel Rankings (2023-12-05).xlsx

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KenWright said:

@FreedomDao

Thanks for posting this topic. Good questions. 

To summarize:

In my own words, my understanding of what you want:

• high quality
  • no harem
  • cultivation: takes you on the journey with them, so you also see the "Dao" with them
  • cultivation system that makes sense
  • proper plot

Long answer:

What novels have you read, so that I/we on this thread, may not recommend them? 

I have made a list of novels on WuxiaWorld, as of today, and posted it in the Math love thread (as it seemed to belong there, what, with recording and all). 

Short answer:

These are my general 

image.png.7a107b346f6563a30d5d511f43013150.png

Caution:

• The Nebula's Civilization (TNC) is still in serialization. I am a big fan of it; I am an editor for the fandom wiki.
  • The Grandmaster Strategist - if you can get past the MC being a Gary Stu - too smart - really interesting novel. Good writing.
  • I did not finish Etranger, per se. I read perhaps the first 50% and skipped to the end. The first 50% was mind-blowing, mind you. It just got a bit boring towards the middle. Really describes the power system well. Really, really good. 
  • Genius Detective - I dropped this novel unfortunately about, I dunno, 40/140 chapters in. It got too scary.
  • The Second Coming of Gluttony - for power systems, awesome. Reason the rating is so low (still an S-class), is because of the side stories. Don't read them.
  • The Charm of Soul Pets - read a few, dropped. Good as it was for the few chaps.
  • I Have a Sword -ONLY, ONLY read the first 20 chapters or so, the first small arc. The humor was refreshing then.
  • Fortunately, I Met You - didn't finish. Dropped. Psychological novel. Got a bit intense for me. But really well written.
  • The Novel's Extra - Gary Stu main character, though, entertaining. Don't read the last 50 chapters or so. I didn't read the side stories.
  • 1st Floor Boss - I dropped this for some reason, but it was quite interesting in the beginning. I might have dropped it because of time.

Webnovel:

For deep power systems. Supreme Magus on webnovel, I think is the best. Caution: I stopped reading after Chapter 2000 though, got too expensive. Unfortunately that's the thing on webnovel.

The Way of Choices (webnovel) - excellent novel. Makes you think. The writing style was just awesome. But then it got canned - so stop reading about 50 chapters before the end. 

Hope this helps!!

What are your thoughts?

thanks for the spreadsheet once again. Above is how I'd look at it. Instead of I recommend/I dont even if I dropped it, I decided to categorize the novels in whether they are worth a full read(tones of green) or not(everything else, although for different reasons)

• Like 1

Hmm, so I summarized your coloring (just sorting in Excel):

Bright green (definitely recommend):

image.png.fc155059b8ffe8580683702bceece4ea.png

Sorta recommend:

image.png.1b137d6df786b51ff9792a466b4ae806.png

After removing these, and then selecting the remainder that I would have recommended:

image.png.f5c77f9ca44ce94813f6bc3d605c2da7.png

Which leaves three novels, which you had not rated:

image.png.0880d805b96673f6e6e37c066accbe8f.png

I think the results are clear (lol). 

Praise the Orc! is definitely one of my favorite novels. I would say, definitely give it a whirl. 

Become a Star, I actually completed. It is not an action-fighting novel, but is more slice-of-lifey.

Fortunately, I Met You, was well-written, though I only read a few dozen chapters I think. I stopped as I got busy, and then later, it was a bit too psychological, so I did not continue reading. 

I don't think I've seen Tribulation of Myriad Races mentioned yet. Bit of a slow burn and still relatively new but there should be more than enough chapters out to see if youre hooked or not. Good comedy, good translation, and it's just now starting to take off more fight-wise. Idk if you can see the sneak peeks but Star Gate by the same author has just started to come out with chapters and seems promising as well. 

eh ok I'll admit maybe I was unfair to this one. I thought it was going to be insta bad like shrouded seascape and dao of the bizarre immortal but so far it's decently paced. Will update and rewiew it when needed. I wonder if I should make a novel quality thread and end this one.

- Immortal Devil Transformation. Note:  great novel but the ending feels rushed

- Renegade Immortal

- Beyond the timescape

- Yama rising: great novel but rushed ending

- Demon Hunter: i remember its quiet good, idk why i dropped it tho, n already forget at what chapter i drop it. all that i remember is the kid in chapter 1 already grow big enough n she is in the middle of fighting a girl. both of them (the kid and the girl know MC)

- Monarch of evernight: quiet good but dropped it around the arc where mc become soldier(?) to a big family (i think it was his family?). He was then deployed to battlefield n act alone

-Archfiend: On Hiatus. Already read till the last chapter available. A shame since the last arc where the translator droped this, is the best arc in the novel imo, but i do understand why WW stop translating this novel.

- wayvayer is good too.