What tech excites you the most? (Including upcoming/future tech!)

KTLChamber

A tech section! My favorite.

Personally, I'm a huge tech geek, so I get very excited when new tech products are announced.

What kind of tech makes you the most excited? It can be something that's coming in the future.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to on-device AI capabilities, which seems to be the new big thing in all chipmakers.
Though, with how the Pixel 8/8 Pro's allegedly 'on-device' AI turned out lately... I'll be holding my judgement.

Imagine the possibilities! ChatGPT(I know, it won't be as powerful) on your phone! Artificial image generation (lewds) on your phone!

...ehem.

Back to the question. What technology makes you "Oh, that sounds cool, I want that"? And why?

On 11/8/2023 at 11:39 PM, KTLChamber said:

Artificial image generation (lewds) on your phone!

...ehem.

Haha, that's always an interesting field lol!
I think one thing that I'm interested in personally is how audio can transform. Like right now we can add reverb and things live, but I'd find it really nice if I could get an eletric violin and play it extremely similar to an acoustic (there's a huge difference in terms of sound production and electrics are kinda like chopping off an arm cause the bow kinda becomes useless due to only having a consistent volume/pressure of sound...). We're already seeing lots of improvements but hopefully we can get to a point where you only need to pay like a few hundred for a mic/speakers that'll emit a desired sound you want, and eventually one can just have a single electric violin that can switch between acoustic and w.e. other sounds. But that seems incredibly far off so for right now, I'm just hoping for lots of advances in the music space that makes it more accessible and cooler!

On 11/11/2023 at 5:52 AM, dragomon2 said:

Haha, that's always an interesting field lol!
I think one thing that I'm interested in personally is how audio can transform. Like right now we can add reverb and things live, but I'd find it really nice if I could get an eletric violin and play it extremely similar to an acoustic (there's a huge difference in terms of sound production and electrics are kinda like chopping off an arm cause the bow kinda becomes useless due to only having a consistent volume/pressure of sound...). We're already seeing lots of improvements but hopefully we can get to a point where you only need to pay like a few hundred for a mic/speakers that'll emit a desired sound you want, and eventually one can just have a single electric violin that can switch between acoustic and w.e. other sounds. But that seems incredibly far off so for right now, I'm just hoping for lots of advances in the music space that makes it more accessible and cooler!

Sounds very interesting. You're right, we can already do this with digital pianos and (maybe) electric guitars, so I don't see what's stopping "digital violins(strings)" with the same set of features from existing.

And like you say, I'm always open to more accessibility!

6 hours ago, GenericUser837 said:

About the question, I've recently been seeing advertisements for WiFi 7 using the 6 GHz band, along with 2.4 and 5 GHz, so it's rather interesting to see how that will be implemented, what with WiFi 6 also being relatively new for mainstream consumers.

From what I've seen Wi-Fi 6 and 6E routers/access points weren't really consumer friendly in terms of price. Hopefully, the advent of Wi-Fi 7 will make the older tech cheaper...

Edited by KTLChamber

On 11/12/2023 at 2:54 PM, GenericUser837 said:

Audiophile detected lol.

Not in any shape or form lmao. I don't know much about audio. The only reason I "know a lot" is because I'm a violinist lol.

21 hours ago, KTLChamber said:

with the same set of features from existing.

Main issue for violins is that it's like intonation with a guitar. Most guitars have frets so in that good bit of space, an A4 will always be an A4. With the absolute tiny bit of movement on a violin, even 0.1mm of movement, the pitch is completely "ruined". The same could be applied to the bow, Idk how electrics pick up violin strings in detail, but it certainly isn't picking up even the tiniest of pressure, placement, speed, etc. I feel like from an audio stand point, violins (and strings) are just disgustingly painful to get kek. Though pianos and guitars also have their own trouble of making it sound natural compared to the soundfont/synths we will hear.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in how VR/AR plays together with AI for physics simulation moving forward. Esp once we get better forms of haptic feedback and the ability to simulate weight. I'm equal parts excited and concerned though, there will be a ton of social consequences to our reliance on incoming technology. I don't see us handling it very responsibly, so unemployment is probably going to shoot up, and we'll likely see a lot more people that are useless without consulting AI...

I'm also very very concerned about AI companionship due to an uptick in loneliness 

I'm looking forward to advances in 3D construction printing.  If you ever built a house, you know it is more than a ton of work.  Imagine the day our descendants just click and "drop" a house.  It would also be interesting for space. 

On 1/1/2024 at 12:33 AM, lionphoenix1995 said:

the thing i'm hype for is the latest gen sequensing especially if they can make it  even more precise. The latest version is small enough to be basicly a usb and can sequence whole fungi genomes

This, I have no idea what it could be useful for... but cool! Hopefully, humankind can crack the DNA code fully one day.

17 hours ago, Tyizor said:

I'm interested in how VR/AR plays together with AI for physics simulation moving forward. Esp once we get better forms of haptic feedback and the ability to simulate weight. I'm equal parts excited and concerned though, there will be a ton of social consequences to our reliance on incoming technology. I don't see us handling it very responsibly, so unemployment is probably going to shoot up, and we'll likely see a lot more people that are useless without consulting AI...

I'm also very very concerned about AI companionship due to an uptick in loneliness 

Oh gosh, I smell a rule 34 with all that tech involved...

loneliness has been a problem already, if anything, I think AI could help us become more sociable.

3 hours ago, freewheeler said:

I'm looking forward to advances in 3D construction printing.  If you ever built a house, you know it is more than a ton of work.  Imagine the day our descendants just click and "drop" a house.  It would also be interesting for space. 

I've always wandered something about 3D construction printing. If they ever intend to build taller and taller buildings, how are they going to solve the problem of structural integrity? I'm pretty sure 3D printing steel beams into a house is not a good idea...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KTLChamber said:

Oh gosh, I smell a rule 34 with all that tech involved...
loneliness has been a problem already, if anything, I think AI could help us become more sociable.

I'd disagree unfortunately (with the making us more sociable part) :(. Part of the issue with lonliness imo is that there are way too many short term & low effort ways to "not feel lonely" which aren't sustainable. I'd say some of the biggest culprits right now are things like: chatting with someone random on the internet that you don't establish a resilient connection with (prone to an internet friend abandoning an account or quitting a game/community), watching streamers you never actually get to know, and getting that next dopamine hit from the quick-paced nature of the internet.
There are healthy ways to balance all the tech's above with your day to day life, but I don't trust most people to do that... I feel like AI is just going to make all of the above much easier to indulge in while shoring up any concerns about sustainability (since it's literally programmed not to leave and be available 24/7...)

The biggest positive I'd say though is that AI/Haptic feedback will allow for more "real" interactions with people across the world in VR. This way you can hug and interact with family from a country apart or even meet randos at very little risk to yourself. 

• Like 1