SSS급 자살헌터 / SSS급 죽어야 사는 헌터 (SSS-Class Suicide Hunter)

megaautist

(i think they changed the korean title at some point, maybe it got so popular that having the word 'suicide' in the title gave one of the publishers a bad look or something)

original publisher websites: https://novel.munpia.com/130581 https://page.kakao.com/content/52822434 https://ridibooks.com/books/2065022020 https://series.naver.com/novel/detail.series?productNo=3962389 (as far as i can tell, these are all legal, novelupdates says the original publisher of the novel is J Plus Media)

status in COO: according to novelupdates, it's completed with 400 chapters

why i think it should be licensed: idk, i've been reading the illegal translations and liking them. it would be cool to read a legal translation and support the author. it seems really popular too, novelupdates puts it in the top 200 of all time by 'activity stats', whatever that means. as far as i can tell, it doesn't have any english publisher, yet it was popular enough to get serialized as a webtoon on kakao. and it seems like the novel doesn't have any kind of exclusivity rights since it's published on both kakao and naver. i'm not great at actually summarizing stories, it has a setting similar to return of the frozen player in that it has hunters and a tower and skills and stuff. we all know the setting and hook aren't what's actually important when it comes to how good a story is, they just dictate who decides to click on it. i think it has good storytelling and characterization, definitely at least as good as most of the other novels i've read on this website. there's a slight parallel to the second coming of gluttony in that the main character has a lot of mental problems that seem to go away when they start being able to kill monsters real good but has to confront them later in the story. also, i think this is one of the few 'male-oriented' novels that actually has a healthy romantic relationship develop instead of either nothing or a harem. seriously, i legitimately think the relationship the main character ends up in is healthier than most romance novels. hell, it's probably healthier than most real-life relationships. and trust me, you're not gonna expect who the girl is until right when it happens. it seriously considers the dynamics that can form when you have an MC-level powerful guy who has the ability to literally go back in time and what's necessary to have a guy like that get into a relationship without there being a massive power imbalance. anyway, i'm a big fan of the novel, i'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of action-fantasy genre. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jaspaaar said:

We considered it a while ago, but unfortunately its unofficial translation has progressed so far that it wouldn't really be viable.

I wouldn't mind re-reading it from the first chapter. It's one of the best novels I have read. But it might not be the case with other readers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jaspaaar said:

We considered it a while ago, but unfortunately its unofficial translation has progressed so far that it wouldn't really be viable.

their release rate is something like 1/week or 1 every 2 weeks and they have like 100 chapters left, so if they were released on ww at a rate of 1/day (like most of the korean series on here), you'd outpace them well before they finished. plus, i'm pretty sure they're one of the groups that charge money for their latest chapters, which would definitely make their site much easier to take down (and if their translation was stopped and the official translation was announced it's reasonably likely that it wouldn't be picked up by another big group to fill the gap). but it makes sense if you and the rest of ww management has decided it wouldn't be worthwhile even taking all of that into account. still, like the other guy said, i'd read it from the beginning, if only to read it with a better translation quality.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, MarieAndHerDogs said:

I love this novel! I'll always remember it for making me so emotional while reading it. Like I have never cried so hard reading certain scenes. I would love to see it on wuxiaworld and definitely wouldn't mind rereading from the beginning.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you. This is one such novel that could be re-read multiple times. Every arc is so beautifully written.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LewdBoi said:

I remember reading this when it came out on woospread, but the translation was so slow I just lost interest. I'd be interested to see it on here with a smooth and stable translation.

Yeah. I too was reading the fan translation but eventually stopped it. I'm hoping for WW to pick it up. So, this novel would get the official and quality translation that it deserves.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...