Wu Xia films: aesthetics, ethics, intensity

Guest Fu Hong Xue

Guest Fu Hong Xue

For me Wu Xia films are all about aesthetics, ethics & intensity. The video essay I am sharing below goes through those three aspects; throughout the video we will also discover among othe things why famous Shaw Brothers director Chor Yuen used insanely fake looking movie sets to shoot some of the best Wu Xia films ever, what ethical values Wu Xia characters encapsulate and how Patrick Tam Ka-Ming & Ching Siu-Tung single-handedly changed sword fight choreography in 1980.

7 hours ago, meeno said:

Not a critic by any means, so just going to add, that I watched and learned much. Well done. 

Thank you for the kind words 🙂 I am just a hardcore film fan, not a critic either 😛  glad you enjoyed the video 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, freewheeler said:

It is unfortunate that the essay has been removed.  Summary or mirror? 

Hi! It will be uploaded again on YouTube tomorrow on Hong Kong Film Vibes. Have to edit a little detail 🙂 Thank for checking out the post, hope you will enjoy the video essay when it's available again tomorrow 🙂

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 10:14 PM, Guest Fu Hong Xue said:

For me Wu Xia films are all about aesthetics, ethics & intensity. The video essay I am sharing below goes through those three aspects; throughout the video we will also discover among othe things why famous Shaw Brothers director Chor Yuen used insanely fake looking movie sets to shoot some of the best Wu Xia films ever, what ethical values Wu Xia characters encapsulate and how Patrick Tam Ka-Ming & Ching Siu-Tung single-handedly changed sword fight choreography in 1980.

The video was edited, so here is the link to the new version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQOHiLNXm68&t=124s

• Like 2