Downloading ebooks fails (freezes)

I have several ebooks I've purchased both in the past and recently.  I can't download them - the process gets stuck on "Preparing Download".  It not only freezes the tab but the entire chrome window including other tabs (suggesting it is tickling a chrome bug.)  I can minimize entire window but can't change focus within window.

Running current Google Chrome - Version 122.0.6261.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)  on a linux PC - Mint 20.3 (old but fully updated).

Tried both newly purchased ebook (Field of Gold) and old ebook that I have successfully downloaded in the past (A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality). Tried both epub and pdf formats.

Edited by CrispyCritter
more info

On 3/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, CrispyCritter said:

I have several ebooks I've purchased both in the past and recently.  I can't download them - the process gets stuck on "Preparing Download".  It not only freezes the tab but the entire chrome window including other tabs (suggesting it is tickling a chrome bug.)  I can minimize entire window but can't change focus within window.

Running current Google Chrome - Version 122.0.6261.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)  on a linux PC - Mint 20.3 (old but fully updated).

Tried both newly purchased ebook (Field of Gold) and old ebook that I have successfully downloaded in the past (A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality). Tried both epub and pdf formats.

Could you try a different browser and see if it still happens?

11 hours ago, Jaspaaar said:

Could you try a different browser and see if it still happens?

I succeeded in downloading _Fields of Gold_ using Firefox, no problems at all, almost instantaneous. I then tried again with Chrome but got the same frozen window.