Black Haired Mercenary Goes West (서부로 간 검은머리 용병)

Synopsis: 7 years as a South Korean special forces soldier, 7 years as a mercenary for hire. And he was reborn in the Wild West era.

“Why are Koreans here?”

Wild West. Gold rush. Cowboys. Outlaws. This is the chaotic West full of romance. Texas, USA in the mid-19th century.

[No Status Window / Slavery Issue / Civil War / Pinkerton / Buffalo Bill Cody / Billy the Kid / Rockefeller Gilded Age]

Why Translate? : This author's writing is very good. Also the subject is common knowledge for most readers. So it will be good to have it translated here. 603 chapters in RAWs, long chapters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, masterlonai said:

This title is on Munpia... Why are there so many recommendations to bring titles from NAVER?

I don't know, this novel was listed on Ridibooks so I posted it here. Didn't know it was NAVER.

Seem Naver has most of the mainstream KR webnovels, like Qidian has mainstream CN novels.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, masterlonai said:

After checking recommandation, I read this title but realized that it contains too many racial issues. It seems too ricky to lincese.

Why author, oh why?? Why you need to put racism on your novel :((

On 3/26/2024 at 8:49 AM, masterlonai said:

After checking recommandation, I read this title but realized that it contains too many racial issues. It seems too ricky to lincese.

Actually one of the reasons I recommended this novel for translation is due to the relative lack of racism.

I am not joking, this genre is called 'Alternate History' and since it deals with MC being inserted into actual historical background, there are always complaints of racism.

This novel takes place in Wild West Gold Rush age, pre US Civil War so the parties who are going to conflict are well known to everyone who studied American history in school. White American Settlers, Black Afro-Americans, Native Americans, other immigrants... As synopsis said, it is a chaotic era where morality and basic decency go to hell.

The MC doesn't support slavery, doesn't want to ruin America and has normal modern sensibilities. Trust me, that's rare even in English novels of this genre.

4 hours ago, Afaromay said:

Why author, oh why?? Why you need to put racism on your novel :((

TBH, if there is no racism then I would be recommending a shit novel. The racism is a historical truth, Afro-Americans were slaves and the abolishment of Slavery was the reason for US Civil War to take place.

This is one of the good Alternate History novels due to the historical accuracy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stellartranslations said:

Actually one of the reasons I recommended this novel for translation is due to the relative lack of racism.

I am not joking, this genre is called 'Alternate History' and since it deals with MC being inserted into actual historical background, there are always complaints of racism.

This novel takes place in Wild West Gold Rush age, pre US Civil War so the parties who are going to conflict are well known to everyone who studied American history in school. White American Settlers, Black Afro-Americans, Native Americans, other immigrants... As synopsis said, it is a chaotic era where morality and basic decency go to hell.

The MC doesn't support slavery, doesn't want to ruin America and has normal modern sensibilities. Trust me, that's rare even in English novels of this genre.

TBH, if there is no racism then I would be recommending a shit novel. The racism is a historical truth, Afro-Americans were slaves and the abolishment of Slavery was the reason for US Civil War to take place.

This is one of the good Alternate History novels due to the historical accuracy.

I agree with you. This novel is just reflecting the history of our world and the racism is not the fictional setting inserted by the author as it's the actual truth. I would love to read what the mc will do in this kind of setting but masterlonai's concern is also valid as some readers might not be comfortable with this kind of novel. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stellartranslations said:

Then it's actually more interesting than i thought, it's has more dept and not just 2 dimension characters in it like other low tier novel. And that many chapters mean it is popular there in Korea. Keep it up, keep recommending good quality novels 👍

Edited by Afaromay
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Afaromay said:

Then it's actually more interesting than i thought, it's has more dept and not just 2 dimension characters in it like other low tier novel. And that many chapters mean it is popular there in Korea. Keep it up, keep recommending good quality novels 👍

Almost every Alternate History genre novel has either MC go hyper racist, the historical characters start acting like idiots or the novel's writing is just boring. Even the rarely well-written novels take place in settings that I don't care about (Eg. Ancient Greece).

This novel is well-written and takes place pre-American Civil War, so that's why I recommended it.

• Like 2