M E M O R I Z E

Korean name: 메모라이즈

publisher link: https://www.joara.com/book/714701

Reason to license:

It’s from the same author who did second coming of gluttony and to hell with being a hero and they seem to be in a shared universe and this is one of his earlier works which was one point of interest for me. It’s a pretty interesting regression novel with a similar vibe to novel like reincarnated or king of the battlefield, though compared to these there’s more focus on side characters I think. Overall, with all the different translators picking it up in the past, its translation is inconsistent and kinda a mess so I hope someone can do it justice and I can finally get a chance to read it proper.

• Like 2

Well, bad news for you. Many people have already recommended this to be licensed but the Wuxiaworld team has said that the publishers Joara don't want an official translation and are not willing to give the licence. So it's better to not keep any hope of this novel ever getting a proper translation. 

• Like 1

yeah, it's one of the more disappointing developments for people who liked the other novels in the same worldview.  Joara being difficult seems ridiculous since the author is obviously for the translations considering his other works have been license and translated here.  Oh well, here's hoping that the author is able to finally get some movement with Joara if we continue to show interest.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 12:01 AM, masterlonai said:

It looks like Joara holds the exclusive rights to Memorize. I hope they start showing some interest in the English-speaking market.

Do they not see how the translations for the authors other works have helped? Meaning much like when a book gets an anime, or a game, it in turn boosts sales or reintroduces interest in the original product?  Also it becomes a revenue stream that they otherwise would not have access to, or at least wouldn't be taking advantage of.  I mean even if they decided to do it on their own, they wouldn't have the built in systems or user base to take as much advantage of it.  Seems crazy that any business wouldn't want to take advantage of additional income without having to do much/any work and getting that passive income.  Does the author not have any leverage or sway with the publisher? He's not with them anymore correct? Is there a period of time he has until he gets the rights back?  Sorry for all the questions, I just find this particular case to be interesting, especially since I want to read the book since he has tied his other projects into characters from it.  Can't imagine not getting to read  Er Gen's other  books after meeting characters from his other books throughout or more often towards the end of each book.  Thanks again Lonai.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Exempt said:

Do they not see how the translations for the authors other works have helped?

Disclaimer: I am not Korean and not up-to-date with KR news.

But AFAIK, it is more Joara's fault than the author's. Joara as a novel platform had a steep downfall.

Joara was originally a fanfic site but they blew up and ventured into becoming a more legit and paid novel platform (Kakao, Naver etc) around 2012. Lots of authors started releasing on it.

Post 2017, bubble burst, Joara gained rep for being hub of BL and rofan novels, and most authors who started with it switched to other platforms. MEMORIZE author switched publishers as well.

7 hours ago, stellartranslations said:

But AFAIK, it is more Joara's fault than the author's. Joara as a novel platform had a steep downfall.

Post 2017, bubble burst, Joara gained rep for being hub of BL and rofan novels, and most authors who started with it switched to other platforms. MEMORIZE author switched publishers as well.

As far as I know, the contracts that the authors signed with publisher's around that time period, gave them the rights to publish it in novel/webnovel/LN/epub form for a certain period of time after which it would revert back to the original author.  So unless the re-up the contract with the author it should be up to him after a certain point.  Would be nice to know if that is the current situation and when that date would be if Joara is going to maintain their current stance of not wanting the English translation profit percentages.

Edited by Exempt