What's up with Keyboard Immortal's updates recently?

Up through January of this year, Keyboard Immortal had a pretty regular release schedule. At some point it shifted to 1 chapter on weekdays and 2 chapters on weekends (if I'm remembering correctly), but there was always, at minimum, 1 chapter per day and at least 9 chapters per week.

Things started going wrong in the first full week of February, when WW released 3 chapters on Thursday and none on Saturday. This was weird, but it still worked out to the same # of chapters overall, so I didn't think much of it.

Then things quickly got out of hand. The very next week there were three days when no chapters were released, and only 5 were released in total. Every single week afterwards has had at least 2 days where no chapters came out. Additionally, none of the weeks since then have ever released more than 7 chapters.

I'd understand if there were difficulties leading to slower releases - but what's even more bizarre is how inconsistent it is. Here's a table of how many chapters were released each day for February and March:

Su M Tu W Th F Sa
~ ~ ~ ~ 1 1 2
2 1 1 1 3 1 0
1 2 0 0 1 1 0
0 0 3 1 1 1 1
0 1 0 1 1 0 1
1 0 2 1 1 0 2
2 0 1 0 2 2 0
1 0 1 2 0 1 1
0 1 1 1 0 2 1
0 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Notice any pattern? Because I sure can't. Sundays and Mondays tend to be the worst, but again, there's no real pattern here.

Does anyone know what's up with Keyboard Immortal?

I've assumed it's because we're now caught up with the original Chinese language publication (novelupdates says the source is ongoing at Chapter 2081), and so there's no already translated back-stash to smooth out the release schedule.  We're at the mercy of the schedule of all three of the original writer, translator, and original publisher.

Given the choice between getting chapters as soon as possible or going on a slower, smoother release schedule, I'd rather have the chapters now.

• Like 2

Read the translator announcements. Pika has caught up with the raws. He said that in a translator announcement 2 months ago: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcements/keyboard-immortal/caught-up-to-the-author

Hi everyone, Pika here.

We've now pretty much caught up to the author with the series and there will no longer be a set schedule. The series will be released roughly in line with when the author releases. I will check in the mornings if there is a new chapter and work on it if there is one.

Going forward, there will be no chapters published on Monday as I will be taking one day off a week.

Thank you so much for your support for Keyboard Immortal all this time!

The author has not been posting a chapter every day, so there can't be a release every day.

Also Pika had this announcement: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcements/keyboard-immortal/current-release-schedule-information

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your continued support of Keyboard Immortal!

I just wanted to take a bit of time to explain the current release process and why it might be a bit unpredictable. The author will typically write one chapter per day, and sometimes, he will write two. When I have time set aside for work, I will check to see if there are new chapters, and when I see that there is an update, I will then work on the chapter! Then, it will take one day for my proofreader to take a look at it. (shoutout to my bro sovereignzane) Then, the next day, I will publish the chapter.

Unfortunately, this does mean that sometimes, there will be days without chapters, and other days, there might be more releases than expected. I also try to take at least one day off a week, which is usually Sunday wherever I currently am.

Thank you again for all of your patience and understanding!

Edited by Wuxia Wanderings
  • Like 3