Can't continue on ISSTH..... Please enlighten...

Hello. I am kinda new here. I first start at Tales of Demons and Gods, but the translation is very slow... Then i read Against the Gods and this novel is killing it. Nice story line and i feel that the translation is really good. The way the author describe everything is really well conveyed in English. For me, this novel trully deserve 10/10. 

Then i came across I Shall Seal the Heavens. I am not sure about this, many people said it is the best novel out there. But i have read it until chapter 110 and i am not sure about this. Maybe it is just my preference on the genre but i feel that this doesn't get me hooked as bad as when i started ATG. I feel like the main character doesnt have any special skill or art but he is just kinda strong after cultivating. Some people say that it gets better later, but i am not sure if it will get better since i have read till chapter 110. Maybe i havent reach a good arc yet...?

Then i started reading Martial God Asura. This one feel similar to ATG but still not there yet. The way the author describe things in MGA is not as good as ATG. The fight scene just pale in comparison to ATG. I feel that MGA is also kind of rushed... I am reading until chapter 250 now. 

Should i continue on MGA or go back to ISSTH? Seniors out there please enlighten this junior. 

Comments

• edited February 2017
    The first 130 chapters is pretty much just a slow start,it starts getting better after that.
  • ISSTH is mostly garbage until around 2nd arc, even then it's lots of crafting, so up to taste. It does get better, yet it's bit too one-dimensional, MC just cultivates like a robot, it's 99% about improving cultivation. Even occasional comedy is linked to cultivation through his cheat. If one really liked ATG, it's doubtful ISSTH will cut it, they are kind of targeted at different audience. MGA is without a doubt even worse, classic PMG grind. When there's so many CN translated, there's little reason to stick to something just because someone said it's the best, or because it's there. Different people find different things best for them. If you're asking for wuxia themed advice. I'll say "Don't be like a frog in a well. Beyond the well of ISSTH and MGA lies entire universe of CN".

If you liked ATG, why not try Chaotic Lightning Cultivation, Great Demon King, Heavenly Jewel Change, Long Live Summons! or Transcending the Nine Heavens. While there's of course no way to tell if you'll like them, but there's at least some reason to give them higher priority over MGA.

• if you think AGT is 10/10, then don't bother with ISSTH, it is out of your league.. read some soft novels.... like AGT...

ISSTH stands at the pinnacle of the xianxia genre...

• You are really similar to me, at least based on your first post. I also kinda gave up on ISSH at chapter 110 but they say it gets awesome after book 2 (chapter 205 or so) and i just started book 3 so I can't tell you if that\s true or not, but i will continue it :smile: 

I novel that will probably get you hooked is Sovereign of the Three Realms. I am recommending this based on my personal taste which seems similar to yours :smiley: 

• edited February 2017
    Okay. This is what I feel.
    Book 1 of ISSTH is super boring.
    Book 2 is better.
    Book 3 is where it starts getting really interesting. Here ISSTH became my favourite novel.
    I personally didn't really enjoy first half of book 4.
    Now, from second half of book 4 to the end, it is super awesome and never loses it's epicness!

So I would recommend you to continue. Totally worth it.
  • ATG and ISSTH have very different styles.
    Don't count MGA (it's a fun read but not as good as ATG or ISSTH imo)
    Pretty much all the Xanxia I have read here has been about an over powered protagonist stomping through the world.
    ISSTH is more of a struggle.  It's very well written and very well translated, but it is not as obviously world stompy as some of the others.
    Nobody yell at me! Yes I KNOW it gets very world stompy later on.  Even when it does, there's still lots of struggle.
    Another huge difference between ISSTH and ATG is the girls.  ATG is a harem story where he does actually get several of the girls.  ISSTH looks sorta like a harem, but our hero is completely and utterly loyal to one girl (at least so far).

Personally my favs are : ISSTH, ATG, Coiling Dragon(in no particular order).  They are all fairly different, but highly enjoyable.

I think you should probably do one of 2 things.
    1:give ISSTH another few hundred chapters before kicking it to the curb.
    2:change your question.  Ask the community what good novels are similar to ATG (some people above have already suggested some).
  • I guess it really is just different target groups, because I think ATG is miles better than ISSTH, from beginning to end. I didn't read all of ISSTH though, dropped it at ch. 445. Still, I'm always baffled by people like matricah who say ISSTH is the pinnacle of xianxia - always with no reasons stated, of course. 

ISSTH is basically (once you get past the very slow prologue) all about Meng Hao's unique cultivation journey that goes against the heavens and the tsunami of BS he has to deal with in response to that (primarily peoples greed for the things he has). My primary issue with it was that all of that unique cultivation amounts to almost nothing; he can never bridge the gap to fight someone two steps higher than him, or one step into a higher realm. Cultivation levels completely trump the nigh infinite avalanche of unique items/legacies/abilities he picks up (most of which are casually forgotten or disregarded as the story progresses anyway), so I regard the bulk of the story as basically filler about him acquiring things he will never actually use, or spending gratuitous amounts of time and effort in order to cultivate in a way that barely grants him any advantages over the average person. Granted, someone told me that he does get super overpowered later on, but considering I dropped the story 445 chapters in and this was still a putrid problem, then evidently that's one has to wait for. 

By contrast ATG has very consistent power-ups, and Yun Che as a MC is just generally more likeable to me. He is probably my favourite xianxia protagonist, overall, and part of the reason for that is because he's the opposite of Meng Hao; for one, he has a functioning libido and doesn't feel ashamed to be a man. I feel like a lot of xianxia stories have these sexually repressed authors who don't know how to deal with women, but still have those desires, so you wind up with ISSTH romance - a lot of beautiful women falling in love with the MC, and the MC not knowing how to deal with it so they just ignore them for the entire story. For me at least, that shit is annoying to read - ISSTH is the only xianxia story I've read where I actually felt pity for the women falling in love with the MC, because you eventually realise Meng Hao hasn't so much as had one erection in his entire life.

Asides from that, unlike ISSTH all of the abilities Yun Che picks up throughout ATG are cumulative and not forgotten - even some of his earliest abilities are still completely relevant in the latest translated chapters, and the hundreds of chapters of power ups and opportunities actually amount to concrete gains in terms of the MC's strength - which provides a sense of real progression, unlike the pure arbitrariness of ISSTH where nothing he gains really matters and his strength never really waves from 'king of his generation but still garbage before an elder'. 
  • edited February 2017
    Rubble, stomping on assholes that provoke MCs for retarded reasons, pointless tournaments, and exploration of multi-millenia restricted instances that conveniently open as soon as MC gets close to them, is pretty much what the genre is about. Still, there are some stories that try to add some spice to that MSG (crafting, taming, politics, believable romance). There are even some xianxia that try to almost completely avoid stinky3, focusing instead on characters. Examples include SBM (comedy, scheming, politics, shamelessnes), ZTJ, (comedy, politics, tragedy, introspection) or Zhu Xian (mostly tragedy). Of course, the price of avoiding brainless action fix is glacial pace, I'd even go as far as saying they are only readable when one gets bored with usual asshole grind and omnipresent sneerahhhing crowds.
  • vire70 said:
    I guess it really is just different target groups, because I think ATG is miles better than ISSTH, from beginning to end. I didn't read all of ISSTH though, dropped it at ch. 445. Still, I'm always baffled by people like matricah who say ISSTH is the pinnacle of xianxia - always with no reasons stated, of course. 

ISSTH is basically (once you get past the very slow prologue) all about Meng Hao's unique cultivation journey that goes against the heavens and the tsunami of BS he has to deal with in response to that (primarily peoples greed for the things he has). My primary issue with it was that all of that unique cultivation amounts to almost nothing; he can never bridge the gap to fight someone two steps higher than him, or one step into a higher realm. Cultivation levels completely trump the nigh infinite avalanche of unique items/legacies/abilities he picks up (most of which are casually forgotten or disregarded as the story progresses anyway), so I regard the bulk of the story as basically filler about him acquiring things he will never actually use, or spending gratuitous amounts of time and effort in order to cultivate in a way that barely grants him any advantages over the average person. Granted, someone told me that he does get super overpowered later on, but considering I dropped the story 445 chapters in and this was still a putrid problem, then evidently that's one has to wait for. 

By contrast ATG has very consistent power-ups, and Yun Che as a MC is just generally more likeable to me. He is probably my favourite xianxia protagonist, overall, and part of the reason for that is because he's the opposite of Meng Hao; for one, he has a functioning libido and doesn't feel ashamed to be a man. I feel like a lot of xianxia stories have these sexually repressed authors who don't know how to deal with women, but still have those desires, so you wind up with ISSTH romance - a lot of beautiful women falling in love with the MC, and the MC not knowing how to deal with it so they just ignore them for the entire story. For me at least, that shit is annoying to read - ISSTH is the only xianxia story I've read where I actually felt pity for the women falling in love with the MC, because you eventually realise Meng Hao hasn't so much as had one erection in his entire life.

Asides from that, unlike ISSTH all of the abilities Yun Che picks up throughout ATG are cumulative and not forgotten - even some of his earliest abilities are still completely relevant in the latest translated chapters, and the hundreds of chapters of power ups and opportunities actually amount to concrete gains in terms of the MC's strength - which provides a sense of real progression, unlike the pure arbitrariness of ISSTH where nothing he gains really matters and his strength never really waves from 'king of his generation but still garbage before an elder'. 
    You haven't read ISSTH far enough.  Meng Hao totally fights out of his weight class with stunning effect later on.  The series goes through stages.  As for still using old things.  Meng Hao pretty much outgrows the starter stuff, BUT where we are currently (hmm..how to make it not spoilery) he's actually teaching some of that early stuff to others.  As for women and Meng Hao, yeah, he takes fidelity to the extreme.  Although there's a hint that something he's doing currently may result in him picking up a second girl.  It's only a hint/suggestion we had but damn I hope it pans out.  If you want to see Meng Hao punching out the senior generation, keep reading.  But that was my previous comment.  ISSTH is a STRUGGLE, which makes it very different than most of the Xanxia on here.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about ATG.  I like it a lot.  I've only read 2 xanxia with 'harem' tags that actually catch more than 1 girl.  ATG and MGA.  Mind you MGA really needs to learn how to bring them WITH him.  It's hard to have regular nookie when you keep leaving your girls 3 countries back.
  • Valheran said:
    Rubble, stomping on assholes that provoke MCs for retarded reasons, pointless tournaments, and exploration of multi-millenia restricted instances that conveniently open as soon as MC gets close to them, is pretty much what the genre is about. Still, there are some stories that try to add some spice to that MSG (crafting, taming, politics, believable romance). There are even some xianxia that try to almost completely avoid stinky3, focusing instead on characters. Examples include SBM (comedy, scheming, politics, shamelessnes), ZTJ, (comedy, politics, tragedy, introspection) or Zhu Xian (mostly tragedy). Of course, the price of avoiding brainless action fix is glacial pace, I'd even go as far as saying they are only readable when one gets bored with usual asshole grind and omnipresent sneerahhhing crowds.
    I agree.  I love the genre.  I especially like the long ones.  I got hooked into this genre by Coiling Dragon(which is still my favorite).  Was reading the Manhua and it ran out.  No updates for 6 weeks, so I went looking for the LN and found Wuxiaworld.  Such a happy thing to happen.  I've been chewing through stuff here ever since.
    I like the well detailed fight scenes as well as the next Xanxia reader.  I happen to also like some romance and character development.  Anyway, the point is, I wasn't trying to express an opinion, but highlight the differences for BZillas.
  • Dont get me wrong i really like ISSTH. I got interested from chapter 1. But dont tell ppl to keep reading becouse it gets better after chapter 300 or smth. 300 chapters is a lot, so if someone doesnt really like it its pointless to try more. If novel doesnt hype you till the begining, probablly it is not a novel for you (also cant be so good if there is so many ppl that drop it before that "entertaning arcs"). 
  • edited February 2017
    Aliuss said:
    Dont get me wrong i really like ISSTH. I got interested from chapter 1. But dont tell ppl to keep reading becouse it gets better after chapter 300 or smth. 300 chapters is a lot, so if someone doesnt really like it its pointless to try more. If novel doesnt hype you till the begining, probablly it is not a novel for you (also cant be so good if there is so many ppl that drop it before that "entertaning arcs"). 
    pretty much this.
    the first book is utter trash, the second book only very slightly better, etc etc.
    everyone keeps defending the series with "it gets better at ch 300" "oh you read that far? well it really only gets good at ch500." - repeat ad infinitum.
    the writing gets better at extremely slow pace, and even then, the whole series isn't anything exceptional.

as for recommendations, since you liked ATG i would recommend Ancient Godly Monarch. it's kind of a slow start but gets better.
    You might like Spirit Realm as well, but past ch ~200 it has gotten pretty bad.
    also SOTR is mediocre but gets quite horrible at ~250 or so.
  • To be honest, why I like ISSTH is because of the world building.
    There are very few web novels that have such an amazing world building. This is why I generally recommend ISSTH to people despite it having such a slow and boring start.
  • edited February 2017
    You need to keep read ISSTH, i guarantee you will like it later

No doubt about it

ATG is also good, but not as good as ISSTH

The storyline in ATG is really predictable, we already know it even before the author wrote it

But in ISSTH, the storyline is unpredictable, you will know if you keep reading. Epic storyline.

You will not find 1 man massacre in ISSTH, but you will find big scale war in ISSTH

And the most important thing, ISSTH has more humour, far better than ATG.
  • Aliuss said:
    Dont get me wrong i really like ISSTH. I got interested from chapter 1. But dont tell ppl to keep reading becouse it gets better after chapter 300 or smth. 300 chapters is a lot, so if someone doesnt really like it its pointless to try more. If novel doesnt hype you till the begining, probablly it is not a novel for you (also cant be so good if there is so many ppl that drop it before that "entertaning arcs"). 
    If novel doesn't hype you in the beginning, probably it's not a novel for you

<<<<< Read ISSTH, not hype, decide to drop, later pick up again, I WILL REGRET IF I DON'T PICK IT UP..... IT A FREAKING AWESOME

<<<<< Read ATG, HYPE, decide binge read, DROP IT, REGRET TO READ IT...... What a fucking GARBAGE

Don't know why..... Really hate issth when first reading, don't like the fighting system and boring. But later fucking love it.

But it contradictive with atg, love it at first, but hate it later

• Yeah most people say issth picks up after 100 though personally I loved the start of it! So keep on with it and it will serve you well! ATG I got into the 300-400s when I quit as I found it being the opposite instead of getting better with time it getting worse! 
  • Clyne said:

No doubt about it

The storyline in ATG is really predictable, we already know it even before the author wrote it

But in ISSTH, the storyline is unpredictable, you will know if you keep reading. Epic storyline.

You will not find 1 man massacre in ISSTH, but you will find big scale war in ISSTH

Only replying to 1 line of this.  You will not find 1 man massacre in ISSTH...Really!?!?
    Were you not watching when our hero destroyed an entire major sect by himself in the 8th mountain/sea?
  • Rubble said:
    Clyne said:

No doubt about it

Only replying to 1 line of this.  You will not find 1 man massacre in ISSTH...Really!?!?
    Were you not watching when our hero destroyed an entire major sect by himself in the 8th mountain/sea?
    i think that's justifiable.. given its after 1200+ chapters when he destroyed an entire major sect right?
  • That's not the only one... MH definitely did more massacres than YC. Some of them were war massacres, such as Northern Reaches or Western Desert, but not all of them (ie. Black Sieve sect).