A little question about the Lightning element in Chinese culture.

As some of you probably know, the chinese concept of the elements (Wu Xing) is somewhat different from the westerners' 4 elements, being composed of 5 elements, being respectively the Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water elements. This concept is often used in xianxia novels, such as ISSTH, World of Cultivation or The Nine Cauldrons, and although there are some slight differences each time, the core ideology of it is mostly the same.

Which brings us to the point: I've seen more than once Thunder and Lightning elements as being classified as under the Wood element, which puzzled me somewhat. I've made my own research, and although I've managed to discover a few bits and pieces of information, I don't fully understand why it is so yet. I'd be grateful if somebody would be kind enough to give me an answer, and I also don't mind if it is somewhat complicated, as long as I get my answer.

Thank you in advance, 
From a follow reader.
Tagged:

Comments

• Here is what I think: 
    According to generating Interaction (also begetting, engendering or mothering) of Five elements (Wu Xing). Metal generates water; water nourishes wood; wood feeds fire; fire creates earth; earth bears metal. If wood feeds the fire, then lightning is a form of fire? I guess that's why it is classified under the wood element. 

Hope this helps!
  • Fudiku said:
    Here is what I think: 
    According to generating Interaction (also begetting, engendering or mothering) of Five elements (Wu Xing). Metal generates water; water nourishes wood; wood feeds fire; fire creates earth; earth bears metal. If wood feeds the fire, then lightning is a form of fire? I guess that's why it is classified under the wood element. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I also had thoughts similar to that, but I wasn't sure about it. Wherever I looked never had any concrete exemples or definition, so it's much appreciated  :)

Also, if anybody else got any different views and opinions, feel free to post them, I'll read them all! 
  • The Book of Change said it, so it is. Even modern Chinese does not know the reason.
  • edited January 2017
    I don't know the answer to your question, but-- I think you'll be able to find more information on the matter in the Book of Changes also known as I Ching. Another good source would be anything about the Bagua triagrams. Respectively, these things are both called 易经 and 八卦 in Chinese.
  • edited January 2017

Basically, it is a matter of fitting square pegs into round holes.

In an attempt to match up the five agents of Wu Xing (wood, fire, earth, metal, and water) to the eight trigrams of the bagua (heaven, lake, fire, thunder, wind, water, mountain, and earth), some doubling up was inevitable, and the matches, ... well, ... seem rather odd.

The agents of Fire and Water  were readily matched to the trigrams of Fire and Water, respectively. The agent of Earth was double matched to both Mountain and Earth. Then the agent of Metal was matched with Heaven and Lake, for ...reasons... leaving the agent of Wood to be matched with Thunder and Wind.

It is a little more reasonable if you keep in mind that the agents of Wu Xing we conceived more as processes associated with the five visible planets, than as material substances of western alchemy.

• edited January 2017

copasi said:

The Book of Change said it, so it is. Even modern Chinese does not know the reason.

Really? Well that's sad. They don't even remember the true significance of some of their culture... :/

I don't know the answer to your question, but-- I think you'll be able to find more information on the matter in the Book of Changes also known as I Ching. Another good source would be anything about the Bagua triagrams. Respectively, these things are both called 易经 and 八卦 in Chinese.

Yeah, I also found out about I Ching, but they never really explained why in it. However, I never checked the Bagua trigrams, gotta do some more research on that... Thank you!  :)

Greyman said:

In an attempt to match up the five agents of Wu Xing (wood, fire, earth, metal, and water) to the eight trigrams of the bagua (heaven, lake, fire, thunder, wind, water, mountain, and earth), some doubling up was inevitable, and the matches, ... well, ... seem rather odd.

The agents of Fire and Water  were readily matched to the trigrams of Fire and Water, respectively. The agent of Earth was double matched to both Mountain and Earth. Then the agent of Metal was matched with Heaven and Lake, for ...reasons... leaving the agent of Wood to be matched with Thunder and Wind.

It is a little more reasonable if you keep in mind that the agents of Wu Xing we conceived more as processes associated with the five visible planets, than as material substances of western alchemy.

I just checked the Bagua trigrams before reading your comment after seeing Mexican Ninja mention them and I have to admit that you are probably right. Some of these couplings really make no sense (especially Metal with Heaven and Lake...). I've also kept in mind that they are more considered as concepts than material substances, but some of them make even less sense ^^' (ex: Metal and Heaven, the first is basically the concept of contractrion and withering, and the other that of boundless expansion.)

Although thinking of which, Wood is basically considered as the growing stage of matter, that of expansion in some sort, and is also Yang in nature, so it's possible that this is why Lightning was attributed to Wood, as they somewhat share these characteristics...
  • Aldhere said:

copasi said:

The Book of Change said it, so it is. Even modern Chinese does not know the reason.

Really? Well that's sad. They don't even remember the true significance of some of their culture... :/

Yeah, I also found out about I Ching, but they never really explained why in it. However, I never checked the Bagua trigrams, gotta do some more research on that... Thank you!  :)

Greyman said:

I just checked the Bagua trigrams before reading your comment after seeing Mexican Ninja mention them and I have to admit that you are probably right. Some of these couplings really make no sense (especially Metal with Heaven and Lake...). I've also kept in mind that they are more considered as concepts than material substances, but some of them make even less sense ^^' (ex: Metal and Heaven, the first is basically the concept of contractrion and withering, and the other that of boundless expansion.)

Although thinking of which, Wood is basically considered as the growing stage of matter, that of expansion in some sort, and is also Yang in nature, so it's possible that this is why Lightning was attributed to Wood, as they somewhat share these characteristics... 这个是道家的五行学说。你可以简单地理解为类似西方认为世界是由风,火,雷,电几种东西组成的。
    道家认为,构成世界的物质分为金,木,水,火,土五种,并且互相依存又互相克制。并且五行并不是不变的,而是持续运动的。
    那么,在医学,地理,命运,天气之类学科中都有运用。
    其中中医就是依据五行理论治疗病人,比如有的人长期生活在潮湿的地方,或者经常与异性做床上运动导致肾虚,表示这个人身上火力不足,肾是主管火的,那么用拔罐的方法吸出这个人体内的水气,就能起到一定的强健身体的作用。又或者接触到冷气感冒了,就是这个人身上水入侵了,用刮痧的办法排出他体内的水,就可以治愈。还有一些类似腿疼,血管不通畅等病,可以用针灸的方式治疗。

地理方面么,就是看某个人祖先的坟墓位置好不好,祖先坟墓好能带给后代好运,反之则是倒霉甚至灾难!当然,修建房屋,或者你住在什么样的房屋里,也影响到你的运气,这些包括财运,婚姻,事业,健康等,都会受这些影响------现在相信这个的人已经不多了。

命运方面,主要看这个人的五官,耳垂大小代表是否会有钱,同时额头是否宽阔也有影响,眼睛,眉毛等主要影响婚姻,嘴巴形状主要影响健康之类。。。。。。这个早就已经是专门的一种学问了,有许多人研究这个,当然,现在人几乎已经不相信这个了,但仍有为数不少的人说这些东西是非常神奇的!
  • yjtabc said:
    Aldhere said:

copasi said:

Greyman said:

Although thinking of which, Wood is basically considered as the growing stage of matter, that of expansion in some sort, and is also Yang in nature, so it's possible that this is why Lightning was attributed to Wood, as they somewhat share these characteristics...
    这个是道家的五行学说。你可以简单地理解为类似西方认为世界是由风,火,雷,电几种东西组成的。
    其中中医就是依据五行理论治疗病人,比如有的人长期生活在潮湿的地方,或者经常与异性做床上运动导致肾虚,表示这个人身上火力不足,肾是主管火的,那么用拔罐的方法吸出这个人体内的水气,就能起到一定的强健身体的作用。又或者接触到冷气感冒了,就是这个人身上水入侵了,用刮痧的办法排出他体内的水,就可以治愈。还有一些类似腿疼,血管不通畅等病,可以用针灸的方式治疗。

地理方面么,就是看某个人祖先的坟墓位置好不好,祖先坟墓好能带给后代好运,反之则是倒霉甚至灾难!当然,修建房屋,或者你住在什么样的房屋里,也影响到你的运气,这些包括财运,婚姻,事业,健康等,都会受这些影响------现在相信这个的人已经不多了。

命运方面,主要看这个人的五官,耳垂大小代表是否会有钱,同时额头是否宽阔也有影响,眼睛,眉毛等主要影响婚姻,嘴巴形状主要影响健康之类。。。。。。这个早就已经是专门的一种学问了,有许多人研究这个,当然,现在人几乎已经不相信这个了,但仍有为数不少的人说这些东西是非常神奇的!

I'm very sorry, but I didn't understand what you just wrote, as I'm not very versed in Mandarin (although I'm planning to study it in the near future). Could you repeat in English please? ^^'

• edited January 2017
    yjtabc said:
    Aldhere said:

copasi said:

Really? Well that's sad. They don't even remember the true significance of some of their culture...

Yeah, I also found out about I Ching, but they never really explained why in it. However, I never checked the Bagua trigrams, gotta do some more research on that... Thank you! 

Greyman said:

I'm very sorry, but I didn't understand what you just wrote, as I'm not very versed in Mandarin (although I'm planning to study it in the near future). Could you repeat in English please? ^^' ***[edit: What the...? My comment went double? x) )

• As near as I can make out, yjtabc appears to be rambling on about how awesome feng shui and acupuncture are.
  • Greyman said:
    As near as I can make out, yjtabc appears to be rambling on about how awesome feng shui and acupuncture are.
    Oh... thank you for the summary, although I do not know why he would talk about acupuncture in this case x).
  • Because Lightning sometime looks like a wood

Case 1.
    Flip vertical this picture, and it will looks like a wood. Add some leaf decoration, and it become tree  :D

Case 2.
    The lightning that really looks like Tree Branches

• edited January 2017
    Kind of unrelated but could probably be of use to you. I've noticed 2 peculiar things about lightning/thunder in the novels we all read and love:

• they are the natural enemy of anything undead or surrounded by death and decay
    • they are often interpreted as heaven's weapon of choice when it comes to divine retribution

Thought I'd share! By the way, Spirit Realm's MC cultivates lightning, so you might find that novel fun to read. :)
  • Woah, sorry, I didn't notice you guys had answered as I didn't check the forums for a while and was satisfied with the answers... Thank you still, although late. Indeed, it does seem like a tree upside down! Also, Mexican Ninja, you're right about those two facts, I just didn't account for them. Thanks for the recommendation, altough I've already read it (Makes me want to read it again though, I've stopped at around 200 because of too many cliffhangers until more chapters came out.)
  • leoleo
    edited March 2017
    about the Lightning element in Chinese culture,it is a complex problem,u need some  knowledge with wuxing---the five elements (metal, wood, water, fire and earth, held by the ancients to compose the physical universe)and bagua---the Eight Diagrams (eight combinations of three whole or broken lines formerly used in divination)。
    in bagua,Lightning element is a place or position,it is said as Oriental belongs to the wood,Shake hexagrams is in Oriental,Oriental "shock", for ray, five lines of wood, this is the hexagrams about a property.it not means the Lightning element belongs to wood,it is means the Lightning element in the wood place or position.
    in wuxing,the Lightning element belongs to fire.How about lightning five lines of attributes, lightning is a fire.
    Knowledge of these ordinary people also is not clear, want to learn the Knowledge  U need to read this book-<周易>.
    Set about thunder and lightning, different have different definition in the book.
    China's thunder and lightning is a kind of positive energy properties of elements, a bit like the combination of light and electricity.
  • Aldhere said:
    yjtabc said:
    Aldhere said:

copasi said:

Really? Well that's sad. They don't even remember the true significance of some of their culture...

Yeah, I also found out about I Ching, but they never really explained why in it. However, I never checked the Bagua trigrams, gotta do some more research on that... Thank you! 

Greyman said:

I'm very sorry, but I didn't understand what you just wrote, as I'm not very versed in Mandarin (although I'm planning to study it in the near future). Could you repeat in English please? ^^' ***[edit: What the...? My comment went double? x) )

Native Mandarin speaker here. Basically yjt recapitulated the theory of Wu Xing and tried to explain some connections between Wu Xing, Ba Gua, the Chinese perspective of fate, Feng Shui, etc. I don't really think that answers the question about lightning though...

I barely read Xianxia or anything similar, but personally I agree with Greyman, i.e. it's just a somewhat random fitting of the two systems. And I have to admit that some of you guys know more about Wu Xing and Ba Gua than I do...
  • Aldhere said:
    yjtabc said:
    Aldhere said:

copasi said:

Greyman said:

Native Mandarin speaker here. Basically yjt recapitulated the theory of Wu Xing and tried to explain some connections between Wu Xing, Ba Gua, the Chinese perspective of fate, Feng Shui, etc. I don't really think that answers the question about lightning though...

I barely read Xianxia or anything similar, but personally I agree with Greyman, i.e. it's just a somewhat random fitting of the two systems. And I have to admit that some of you guys know more about Wu Xing and Ba Gua than I do...
  • leo said:
    about the Lightning element in Chinese culture,it is a complex problem,u need some  knowledge with wuxing---the five elements (metal, wood, water, fire and earth, held by the ancients to compose the physical universe)and bagua---the Eight Diagrams (eight combinations of three whole or broken lines formerly used in divination)。
    in bagua,Lightning element is a place or position,it is said as Oriental belongs to the wood,Shake hexagrams is in Oriental,Oriental "shock", for ray, five lines of wood, this is the hexagrams about a property.it not means the Lightning element belongs to wood,it is means the Lightning element in the wood place or position.
    in wuxing,the Lightning element belongs to fire.How about lightning five lines of attributes, lightning is a fire.
    Knowledge of these ordinary people also is not clear, want to learn the Knowledge  U need to read this book-<周易>.
    Set about thunder and lightning, different have different definition in the book.
    China's thunder and lightning is a kind of positive energy properties of elements, a bit like the combination of light and electricity.
    I didn't understand everything (like 5 lines of wood) but I can roughly see your point, thank you.
    psrb said:
    Aldhere said:
    yjtabc said:
    Aldhere said:

copasi said:

Greyman said:

I barely read Xianxia or anything similar, but personally I agree with Greyman, i.e. it's just a somewhat random fitting of the two systems. And I have to admit that some of you guys know more about Wu Xing and Ba Gua than I do... So that's what he was saying? I'd like to read it but too bad it's in Mandarin ^^' and yeah, my current understanding of it is also like Greyman's, it makes sense in my opinion.