Do you enjoy the added CAPS LOCK and choice of words of Deathblade - a healthy discussion please

Hello there ,my comments are being deleted for just asking and presenting a good argument on why I think Deathblade 's translation is bad (for me and possibly others as well) ,because his choise of how he is translating /choice of words breaks the immersion in the story.

I say this because in ISSTH I found it too much with the all caps words/thoughts about or coming from Meng Hao in almost every single chapter which started like 600 chapter? Anyway , What Meng Hao does  and what happens or what his questions are , the CAPS LOCK presented into the sentence is immersion breaking ,because it really  sounds so fake. Chapter after chapter and it became the reason why I don't enjoy reading ISSTH anymore.

Now then with the new novel A Thought trough eternity or Wuxiaworld's choice - A Will Eternal ,deathblade is incorporating those CAPS LOCK  there as well - read the following sentences from both translations on first chapter :

Xianxiaworld.net version

“Don’t come out! Don’t even think about coming out! I’ve got axes and wooden knives! The incense stick in my hand can even produce thunderbolts and summon immortals to help me. If you dare to come out, you are doomed to die!”

Wuxiaworld version:

“Don’t even THINK about coming out! I’ve got axes AND machetes, and this incense can call lightning from the Heavens, and even summon Immortals! If you dare to show your face, you’re DEAD!”

Some of us know how Bai Xiaochun is already from the 100+ chapters translated and I find wuxiaworld version to be the worse choice.

Since "lolrd" deathblade can't present his own argument and is covered by "lolelord " ren with his actions against me ,I got a little bit upset.
 If I am wrong why don't you present your way of thinking?
Or will you just keep silencing me and not let other readers know why I don't want to enjoy such story translated like that?

Comments

• edited December 2016
    You guys are plain rude and can't write and present an argument.
    I just said in my first forum post why I find the translation silly and immersion breaking but you go as far to insult me over and over again. Why did I even write a healthy discussion? Yeah I said I got a little bit upset but it seems such insulting responses are tolerated by the moderators around here and a point I made which is not received well is worth the insults.

Yeah ,I was wrong not to realise some kids with such a hobby will attack me.

lail said:
    kr33d said:
    i thought it was healthy discussion, while here u jus start of badmouthing db translation..if this is wat u call healthy discussion, no wonder your post got deleted
    Heh, that's his standard for being a "healthy" discussion. You need to adapte and align yourself to his standards. If you do so you are even allowed to insult him, because that's his bottomline. And following the reason why you are allowed to insult him:
    lafiel11 said:
    Since "lolrd" deathblade can't present his own argument and is covered by "lolelord " ren with his actions against me ,I got a little bit upset.
    That's very PAFETIK! (Go ahead and corret me on this one)
    So any form of critcism on a translation is not worth a healthy discussion ?
     Like the last few chapters on Emperor of the Cosmos that feel like are ML translated and presented to us without edit I have pointed out on their site and it's actually only badmouthing to you as well I guess ? Any word against something you like without questioning is heresy?!? hushed 

Also I find it funny the second part of lail 's post can't catch my sarcasm on how people refer to DB and Ren ( hint: lord/sect leader and overlord)

Duniak said:
    Capslock is there to put an emphasis on words. He doesn't only have axes. He doesn't have only machetes. He has axes AND machetes. If you are retarded enough not to understand why capslock is there, you should stick to elementary school. You know, ABC-books and stuff. If it breaks your immersion you just "immerse" wrong. Capslock is in correct places, emphasis is on the correct words.

Look at your quote.

"Don’t come out! Don’t even think about coming out! "

Instead of writing the same thing twice, Deathblade decided to put an emphasis on "think" (that is how 99% of people would read it anyway). Then it's putting emphasis on certain words to make it more exaggerated. Dude was scaring off a freaking bush, he was exaggerating and wanted to sound as scary as possible. Deathblade worded it perfectly.

You must have problems with quotes like "If I want something, Heaven BETTER has it. If I don't want something, Heaven better NOT have it" and stuff, right? Sorry, you are just dumb. Capslock is in good places. You read too much shitty MTL of japanese lightnovels about waifus. Get used to the quality or just stfu, you're annoying.

I don't read too much shitty blablabla ... None at all. Maybe my opinion is right or not ,but all of you are like fanboys that will defend to death regardless of reason. 

The thread is even moved to ISSTH spoilers ... what? This is the place? Really? A discussion about a fault I find in a translator of a novel and it's moved in here? 
    Can't help but laugh ,honestly I won't post anymore in this thread since it's full of brain - dead fans.

"

Prayers to the Higher Realms

Post and discuss your requests, suggestions, problems, and anything else here for the admins to look at!

"

Maybe 

Translation/Language Discussion

Post any Chinese translation related questions, comments, discussions, or thoughts here!

was the better choice really ,but not ISSTH Spoilers lol

Deathblade himself only responds with "LOL" and you guys are even worse than him.
     After all the discussion is about him but he refuses to post seriously to present his thought on what I find wrong (and maybe convince me I am in the wrong) in his translation.
    Okay, whatever I don't care anymore since there was such a reaction from you lil' kids...
    Edit: I won't depend on insults to make my point seem right , you guys already got it ^_^ 
  • lafiel11 said:

Or will you just keep silencing me and not let other readers know why I DON'T want to enjoy such story translated like that?

Don't like it? Leave it!

Unsatisfied with my reply? Well, that's your issue!

But on an other note, I don't have any issues with Deathblade stressing certain words.
  • Capslock is there to put an emphasis on words. He doesn't only have axes. He doesn't have only machetes. He has axes AND machetes. If you are retarded enough not to understand why capslock is there, you should stick to elementary school. You know, ABC-books and stuff. If it breaks your immersion you just "immerse" wrong. Capslock is in correct places, emphasis is on the correct words.

Look at your quote.

"Don’t come out! Don’t even think about coming out! "

Instead of writing the same thing twice, Deathblade decided to put an emphasis on "think" (that is how 99% of people would read it anyway). Then it's putting emphasis on certain words to make it more exaggerated. Dude was scaring off a freaking bush, he was exaggerating and wanted to sound as scary as possible. Deathblade worded it perfectly.

You must have problems with quotes like "If I want something, Heaven BETTER has it. If I don't want something, Heaven better NOT have it" and stuff, right? Sorry, you are just dumb. Capslock is in good places. You read too much shitty MTL of japanese lightnovels about waifus. Get used to the quality or just stfu, you're annoying.
  • Duniak, you are being VERY rude!
  • lail said:
    Duniak, you are being VERY rude!
    Yeah, so? He's also rude. He was even worse in posts that got deleted. He's delusional.

Even if he wasn't rude, I'd be, because it's pure idiocy he spouts.
  • But he's got FEELINGS as well! Don't you feel BAD at all?

ah... whatever. I give up. My comment before was more or less a joke. I thought the caps locked "very" was hint enough
  • Not following the rules about the allowed topics. Moving to ISSTH subforum.
  • Also, maybe you are intersted in adding the HEALTHY things you wrote in the chapter comments in order to be able for us to appreaciate your sense of humor. Appart from being a liar, you are a coward and a hypocrite. Write the same words you used in those comments here in this thread to let people discover your concept of a healthy discussion.

"Hello there ,my comments are being deleted for just asking and presenting a good argument on why I think Deathblade 's translation is bad (for me and possibly others as well) ,because his choise of how he is translating /choice of words breaks the immersion in the story."
    "Since "lolrd" deathblade can't present his own argument and is covered by "lolelord " ren with his actions against me ,I got a little bit upset."

As for those statements, your comments were deleted because they were really offensive and had not a single bit of constructive criticism.

Cry me a river. 

• edited December 2016
    I DO like the WAY it is, if you DON'T like it, GTFO and stop being a lil' B*TCH about it. No one is forcing you to read. Adding caps to some certain words makes the situation more understandable and even completely changes the way things happen in your imagination, the way things are meant to happen from Author's perspective, so it is a good deed done by DB for us and you sir, instead of appreciating it, are talking through your ass.

P.S.: You really need to work on your punctuation before raising your voice against others' style of writing, tard.
  • Azureus said:
    I DO like the WAY it is, if you DON'T like it, GTFO and stop being a lil' B*TCH about it. No one is forcing you to read. Adding caps to some certain words makes the situation more understandable and even completely changes the way things happen in your imagination, the way things are meant to happen from Author's perspective, so it is a good deed done by DB for us and you sir, instead of appreciating it, are talking through your ass.

P.S.: You really need to work on your punctuation before raising your voice against others' style of writing, tard.
    Wow, you are quite harsh in your wording! Ah, but the second part is spot on, very polite and to the Thread-Creator's standard! Well done. But saddly our hero in this little story did not reply yet.
  • i thought it was healthy discussion, while here u jus start of badmouthing db translation..if this is wat u call healthy discussion, no wonder your post got deleted
  • kr33d said:
    i thought it was healthy discussion, while here u jus start of badmouthing db translation..if this is wat u call healthy discussion, no wonder your post got deleted
    Heh, that's his standard for being a "healthy" discussion. You need to adapte and align yourself to his standards. If you do so you are even allowed to insult him, because that's his bottomline. And following the reason why you are allowed to insult him:
    lafiel11 said:
    That's very PAFETIK! (Go ahead and corret me on this one)
  • lol I didn't notice it really. I do think it is your choice to read the translation though. Nobody forcing you to... especially not DB
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes
  • Tbh, this guy was just stating his opinion. You could've just said 'nobody's forcing you to read it' or whatever but instead you try to make your points come through by adding insults which is pretty immature especially that Azureus user who thinks his grammar is above all others. I mean this is just a small argument he's presenting. And talking about punctuation, he's a user who's posting in this thread and DB is translating a novel. I think you get the difference. 

I, by no means am an English expert. I think DB is an excellent translator but he is not prefect. 90% of the readers may be satisfied by his translation skills but there's this 10% who might not be. They can voice their opinions and DB can take that into account and maybe increase the satisfaction rate from 90 to 95%.

And please, don't even bother posting if all you're going to do is boost your ego or add insults
  • edited December 2016
    Eat your heart(s) out. That is what you get for your trolling topic.
  • http://imgur.com/a/gwtvY

Your deleted comments you were asking for in the other thread. As you can see, soo much healthy discussion going on in them. No name calling, no disrespect towards anyone, what you would call the perfect gentleman's contructive criticism 101.

Prayers to the higher realms, appart from that description, has an stickied posts that explains the rules. You are the second person that uses the brief description to try to question when a thread is moveed (note that I only move them, while in the rules I state very crearly I'd delete them), and as I've explained previously, I can not fit the rules in the description. At the same time, the description is not a replacement for the rules. There is no contradiction there. The same way there is no contradiction in the law because a constitution says people are free but particular laws regulate those freedoms. On one hand, people likes to keep things simple but then question every choice made, and on the other there are users that like to have tons of rules they don't even read.

Also, it was moved to ISSTH spoilers because that's pretty much the only ISSTH category here, and your post was mentioning DB and ISSTH specifically. If you maybe didn't call it a bad translation, pointing to DB specifically, maybe I would have considered moving it to language discussion. But that was no the case. I can move it there anyways, if you think it's the proper place. For me it was just an opinion and had nothing to do with Chinese translations in particular.

About me taking part in this discussion, the main reason is that I hate hypocrites. And you wrote the comments that are shown in that link and some others, that show no respect at all and are only toxic, and then started a thread asking for a healthy discussion. 

Also, you are not doing a very big favor to yourself with those generalizations. But I guess it's up to you. Have a good day.

Also, I would like to request people to be a bit more reserved with the insults, because in this case some of them are clearly against the rules. Still, since I contributed to the rerailment of the thread, partially, I have little reason to really warn you. But let's try to keep things down a notch or two. 
  • alright first argument, ur arguments r not healthy
    second, anyone in favor of db is being objected by you with
    "So any form of criticism on a translation is not worth a healthy discussion ?
     Like the last few chapters on Emperor of the Cosmos that feel like are ML translated and presented to us without edit I have pointed out on their site and it's actually only badmouthing to you as well I guess ? Any word against something you like without questioning is heresy?!? "
    thirdly, u say that u dont like it, u never presented y u didnt like it..ur point on presenting all the lines with caps only showed that u jus dont like caps, in general.
    fourth, db is really enthusiastic abt translations..he doesnt use machine translation..more than that, in many cases a different language have words which have same meaning in english and but different intensity eg - ore boku watashi..now if he uses caps to jus make it reach ppl then not his fault..
  • OP needs to read more novels. Not just translated novels, actual hard copy novels from a bookshop.

Maybe its time to exit your mum's basement and explore the world a bit lad.
  • edited December 2016
    hmblad said:
    OP needs to read more novels. Not just translated novels, actual hard copy novels from a bookshop.

Maybe its time to exit your mum's basement and explore the world a bit lad.
    True, I have read a couple of hardcover books, I wouldn't say many but it's been around 200-300 and I read stories I think might spark my interest from time to time. Well, even there you will find words written in capital letters or italic letters whatnot. I don't know why he's opposed to Deathblade's stressing of certain words.

kr33d said:
    alright first argument, ur arguments r not healthy
    second, anyone in favor of db is being objected by you with
    "So any form of criticism on a translation is not worth a healthy discussion ?
     Like the last few chapters on Emperor of the Cosmos that feel like are ML translated and presented to us without edit I have pointed out on their site and it's actually only badmouthing to you as well I guess ? Any word against something you like without questioning is heresy?!? "
    thirdly, u say that u dont like it, u never presented y u didnt like it..ur point on presenting all the lines with caps only showed that u jus dont like caps, in general.
    fourth, db is really enthusiastic abt translations..he doesnt use machine translation..more than that, in many cases a different language have words which have same meaning in english and but different intensity eg - ore boku watashi..now if he uses caps to jus make it reach ppl then not his fault..
    To be fair, we are slightly biased towards Deathblade's translation, but there is a good reason for that. Looking at it objectivley, Deathblade's translations really aren't bad. 

But to be on topic
    lafiel11 said:

Also I find it funny the second part of lail 's post can't catch my sarcasm on how people refer to DB and Ren ( hint: lord/sect leader and overlord)

...*
    So wait, is your comment also funny because you didn't catch my blatant sarcasm? I mean how PAFETIK does someone need to be to not catch that one?

But no, to be absolutely honest, you don't know how to write constructive criticism at all. Because the only thing I can see in your post is your wishes and desires. That's not how it works. But don't worry, because I'm very bored, have no life and don't know what to do with myself I will point out the flaws I see in your post. Maybe you will be able write proper feedbacks int the future:

lafiel11 said:
    Hello there ,my comments are being deleted for just asking and presenting a good argument on why I think Deathblade 's translation is bad (for me and possibly others as well) ,because his choise of how he is translating /choice of words breaks the immersion in the story.
    Where's your backing for that accusation? You can not say it breaks the immersion of the story without proper reasoning. You are simply stating something without backing it. And no, you disliking it is no valid reason. 

lafiel11 said:
    I say this because in ISSTH I found it too much with the all caps words/thoughts about or coming from Meng Hao in almost every single chapter which started like 600 chapter? Anyway , What Meng Hao does  and what happens or what his questions are , the CAPS LOCK presented into the sentence is immersion breaking ,because it really  sounds so fake. Chapter after chapter and it became the reason why I don't enjoy reading ISSTH anymore.
    It's the same as above, you are simply repeating yourself without stating with facts that he's breaking the immersion of the story. Do you have some superior knowledge over us concerning ISSTH? 

lafiel11 said:
    Now then with the new novel A Thought trough eternity or Wuxiaworld's choice - A Will Eternal ,deathblade is incorporating those CAPS LOCK  there as well - read the following sentences from both translations on first chapter :

Xianxiaworld.net version

“Don’t come out! Don’t even think about coming out! I’ve got axes and wooden knives! The incense stick in my hand can even produce thunderbolts and summon immortals to help me. If you dare to come out, you are doomed to die!”

Wuxiaworld version:

“Don’t even THINK about coming out! I’ve got axes AND machetes, and this incense can call lightning from the Heavens, and even summon Immortals! If you dare to show your face, you’re DEAD!”

Some of us know how Bai Xiaochun is already from the 100+ chapters translated and I find wuxiaworld version to be the worse choice.
    I can't quite follow you on that one, because I haven't read AWE yet and won't do it in a log time. So it's very out of context and I can't judge it solely on this objectively, but if I'm forced to do so I would say that think should not be in capital letters and neither should be that and, because axes and machetes don't sound to me as being something that special. While dead doesn't sound bad. But what am I saying, I'm straying from my point!

lafiel11
     said:
     If I am wrong why don't you present your way of thinking?
    Or will you just keep silencing me and not let other readers know why I don't want to enjoy such story translated like that?
    Now to the last part. Sarcasm in critics is the worst, just like sarcasm in newspapers. It's beyond stupid and nowadays practically everyone does it. Sarcasm can be fun, but please, if you wish to sound serious about something, don't touch sarcasm. Do you know the definition of sarcasm? I guess you do, otherwise you wouldn't state that I'm incapable of spotting your sarcasm.

I don't really need to elaborate on why I think you are wrong. A simply reason would be, Ergen is satisfied with Deathblade's translations. So I guess you've got to deal with it.

• Hey everyone, sorry to interrupt. I just want to say that, I am selling popcorn and some drinks in-case you need some while reading this drama :smile: 
  • Hey everyone, sorry to interrupt. I just want to say that, I am selling popcorn and some drinks in-case you need some while reading this drama :smile: 
    Oh nice, thanks dude I needed some of this. Also best movie of 2016 10/10
  • Lafiel gave up. Most replies weren't very friendly and it is in a way understandable.

I think this thread can be closed. Lafiel himself wroten in another thread he won't be posting in this thread anymore so it,s pointless to habe it open.
  • Personally, I don't mind the translation at all. The quality is really good but I like the sound of "A Thought Through Eternity" better than "A Will Eternal". If given a choice between novels named AWE and ATTE I would pick ATTE as it sounds kinda deep and cool.
  • Ergen prefers AWE over ATTE
  • Well that's the thing everyone has his own preferences, but anyways that won't stop me from reading AWE as Deathblade is the one translating and its written by Ergen.
  • i dont know preference as such in case of er gen..i feel that eternal has some connection to eternal stratum in issth..and "a will eternal" can be deduced as someone's wish or legacy which is still present...on the other hand "ATTE" is more like it sounds..so meaning over sounding cool anyday
  • "A Will Eternal" is a more accurate translation.
    “The final end of Eternity, and the beginning of Infinity.”
  • db and rwx spoke to er gen who decided on "a will eternal"
  • lucky1988 said:

I think all translations should be made by professionals to increase the satisfaction from reading a novel or playing a game. I use https://www.translateshark.com/arabic.html if I need any translation to be done. They are professionals. I have used their service to translate an essay from English into Arabic. 

It depends on your finances then, if you're able to read/enjoy any novels at all ...

As an example(napkin math):
    ISSTH last chapter(1202) has  3418 characters in its original text that converts to 11876 characters in DB's translation.
    So that chapter would cost you roughly $100 or $350 (depending on the translator counting characters from the source text or final translation for the price calculation).
    So you'll need "some" spare money in your petty cash to enjoy the whole book ...