Immortality is eternal life, the ability to live forever. But why Immortal Characters die?

Always Saying Immortal here and Immortal there. But still, all those Immortals can be killed.

They even use false and true immortal but they both seem to die.

Why do they use the word immortal when in the end, the characters still dies?

Comments

• Only people who is above dao realm have eternal life.
  • cezarjont said:
    Always Saying Immortal here and Immortal there. But still, all those Immortals can be killed.

They even use false and true immortal but they both seem to die.

Why do they use the word immortal when in the end, the characters still dies?
    It's just extended longevity... probably as a true immortal you have let's say 1 million years  (probably exaggerated let's say 100k) to break into the next realms to just turn into dust because their hearts can no longer walk the dao... if they breakthrough then it extends and so on... 
  • The term immortal here is different with western culture. Immortal here is more about a path or species and a level name. Unlike in western culture where immortal is well, eternal like you said
  • Immortality meaning eternity or eternal life is just an English word to describe living forever but in other cultures it means all powerful like per say Christianity's god is so-called "immortal" and describe his eternity its origin is English so immortal different from other cultures "immortal" basically what the guy above me said.
  • they are called immortals because the higher your cultivation the longer your lifespan so as long as you keep making breakthroughs and advancing your cultivation you won't die unless someone kills you
  • Immortality is also a view that you do not die from aging, but can still be killed, such as your head chopped off or heart pierced. This is a view from such as vampires and such.
  • I've been meaning to ask this question too. Except a little differently, immortality regardless of what culture it is, eastern or Western, as defined in the dictionary is eternal life. Now like Boots said, just because you can live forever doesn't mean you can't be killed. But in ISSTH, it doesn't mean that, which urks the crap out of me because it makes no sense. They call themselves immortal, yet still die of old age, when immortals are meant to live forever uless otherwise killed. passing away in meditation, makes no sense when they are immortals or higher. 
  • i thought immortals used to live eternally until Lord Li fcked it up
  • yhatsz09 said:
    i thought immortals used to live eternally until Lord Li fcked it up
    lol, Heaven wouldn't allow for immortals to exists.
  • Even if Lord Li did something it would still not make sense why cultivators from the other 8 mountains could not be eternal either, since Lord Li only had power within the Ninth Mountain.
  • Lord of 4th Mountain is said to be as old as heavens themselves, in this case,since the start/early days of 9MS plane ...
  • Yes, but that is not eternal, he has just lived for a long time. You can live for thousands of years at Dao Realm.
  • Near the end of the novel, the lvl 9 dao realm rulers of boundless sect that went to meng hao on a punitive expedition, lived for almost million year before dying.
  • iirc even Dao Seeking(mortals) have a lifespan of 100,000 years. Should be in translations. That means above stages might have a limit as well, but the number is so large that they can basically ignore it and say eternal. Otherwise nothing is eternal - even his eternal something which heals his injuries becomes obsolete later and had to first recover that eternal healing so it can continue its functions. They can also die early if they use their "life force/vitality" which is the reason of their long life - like in case of Daddy Ke ( he also mentioned he should have lived a long almost eternal life but cannot do that due to ceiling by Lord Li)
  • I thought it was 10,000 yrs. As that's what made pill demon have to create his clone? Could be wrong though
  • edited November 2016
    Their bodies start decaying after a very long period of time even if they are Paragon lvl 9 I guess.
    Spoiler about ending of the novel below.
    Even MH's body starts decaying after millions of years with a cultivation above Ancestor realm till only a single eye and 4 fingers are left.
  • I think the only xianxia novel that really have eternal life is from IET xianxia novels, they meditate there for several trillion years like it's nothing. :)
  • edited November 2016
    I think the only xianxia novel that really have eternal life is from IET xianxia novels, they meditate there for several trillion years like it's nothing.
    Yea. First UC guy has lived for over a thousand grand kalpas in ST lol. 1 grand kalpa = 6 Quadrillion years iirc. 1 Quadrillion = 1,000,000,000,000,000 :expressionless: 
  • edited November 2016
    even HC only had an eye and 4(?) fingers left ... It might be because EG wanted to hint that either there's no actual immortality in this novel, or that we are yet to see more of those cultivation realms after which u can gain true immortality ...

Age limit depends on author themselves, what they want to believe.

Or rather, someone tell me how can they even work w/o their brains, with just fingers and an eye ... Even during Planet East Victory arc when he came in contact with the sun, MH was only left with one of eye and then his ES kicked in and healed him ..

• I thought there was something like a Nascent Soul or something similar for higher cultivation realms? As long as you still have that, not having a physical body shouldn't be a problem.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong lol. I don't pay attention too much to the specific cultivation details
  • Azureus said:
    Their bodies start decaying after a very long period of time even if they are Paragon lvl 9 I guess.
    Even MH's body starts decaying after millions of years with a cultivation above Ancestor realm till only a single eye and 4 fingers are left.
    Actually I think the part of story when meng hao body started to rot is meng hao put himself in Allheaven position through Allheaven memories/some remain as in the end he thought to himself that it was dangerous and he almost became allheaven himself. However, I also not quite sure as I only read via bing translator

I thought there was something like a Nascent Soul or something similar for higher cultivation realms? As long as you still have that, not having a physical body shouldn't be a problem.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong lol. I don't pay attention too much to the specific cultivation details
    There is it was called Yuan Shen or as Deathblade translated it, Nascent divinity which basically like a second soul that represent your cultivation. However, it's not eternal either as like I said it was representing your cultivation and without proper body you couldn't replenish the energy in it
  • I think the only xianxia novel that really have eternal life is from IET xianxia novels, they meditate there for several trillion years like it's nothing. :)
    In Coiling Dragon everyone that is Saint or above ( Deity+ ) is immortal and can live for bilions+ years
  • as an immortal you dont die through mortal means
  • Azureus said:
    That is cause MC became new Luo Tian and later generation 4th realm cultivators do the same as previous ones did to Luo Tian (defy him and break through 4th realm and cause his decay) he continues this until nothing left of him, to break Luo Tian's curse (everyone he knows loses immortality and die faster than normal life span and cant be reincarnated). After that he reverts back to his normal self after eons(millions or trillions ?? years)and brings Xu Qing out of Freeze and goes to central part of universe. After 4th realm they are true immortals i think they are harder to kill than their part of universe itself