the unspoken rules of a xianxia

1- beside the sword thou shall no use others weapon. the sword is king, there is only sword intent (big prop to MW author for making the MC a spear user, hope one day i can see a battle axe user as the MC)
2-there is no ugly woman,they can all cause the downfall of a nation
3-women beauty is related with the whiteness of the skin (i always roll my eyes when i read ATG author describing girls )
4-cheng wang defeats the invader
5-there shall always be that playboy who wanna kill MC because he saw him with a beauty
6-Human beings die in pursuit of wealth, and birds die in pursuit of food
7-the MC is a loner,there shall not be consistant and developped supporting characters (big prop to CD author for bebe )
8-the chickens and dogs does not remains (those who read MTL translation will understand lol )
9-when the author can't find a plot, there shall be a good 50 chapters about looking for treasures and exploring 

what did i forget?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    - There is always an auction where the MC will :
     a) anger a young master who will try to kill him in the next chapter
     b) buy something powerful and no one knows it
     c) increase the bid in a ridiculous way, multiple times, for no reason. I'm looking at you, IET / Er Gen / Mars Gravity / so many others

- Also, you bet there is a teacher / source of knowledge in that ring
  • I agree with everything lol but for no 7, you could have used a much better example because iet can barely develop MC much less the support cast. I think DD has a really good support cast ( i haven't read it but many ppl have said so)
    Understand basic grammar:
    Your vs You're
    There vs Their vs They're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• edited August 2016
    any beauty that her look is described more than a paragraph would
    1) become harem
    2) become one of the greatest enemy of mc and will never die and continue  to 1 or 4
    3) bunch of useless followers bother the F out of MC and continue to 2
    4) won't die and be forgotten at one point...
  • Aspyranah said:
    - There is always an auction where the MC will :
     a) anger a young master who will try to kill him in the next chapter
     b) buy something powerful and no one knows it
     c) increase the bid in a ridiculous way, multiple times, for no reason. I'm looking at you, IET / Er Gen / Mars Gravity / so many others

- Also, you bet there is a teacher / source of knowledge in that ring
    ah that's true, i forgot auction always follow the same pattern. Only ISSH is an exception with Meng hao robbing at the auction lol
  • Any character with the surname Murong is an enemy.
  • BookWorm said:
    I agree with everything lol but for no 7, you could have used a much better example because iet can barely develop MC much less the support cast. I think DD has a really good support cast ( i haven't read it but many ppl have said so)
    you're right. DD have a pretty good supportive cast, i kinda forgot DD because it's a very unconventional xianxia. The  fighting system is different from others xianxia, the MC use a lot of strategies to fight and rely on one set of special ability and hidden weapon. Also there is not the never ending looking for treasures or exploring ruins, treasure are barely existant in DD and mostly consist of bones acquired after killing spirit beast. As for the archenemy can say from the beginning to the end there is only one faction and it all happen in a single world ( no plane, higher world and stuff), there is no harem, no rape and yin yang nonsense.  So yeah it's very unconventional, but that's a refreshing read. you should give it a try one day if you're looking for something different.
  • edited August 2016
    1. "Junior, you dare?!"
    2. "There is no medicine for regrets"
    3. "You're courting death!"
    4. "I am xx of XX sect/church/etc."
    5. "Prideful Air/Look/Etc."
    6. "Has eyes but cannot see Mt. Tai"
    7. "He/She can't defeat xx"
    .... 7.1: "They did it (or some variation)"
    8. "If you kill me, you'll be making an enemy of xx"

• -stuff that only happens in ancient times/legends, but then the mc will encounter
    -description about a certain plave that no one can go, but the mc will be brought there by some plot twist conveniently
    -flying swords?lol
    -lucky items for our mc
    -some op teacher
    -mc on the run
    -offending some bigshots with malicious personalities
    -enemies caught red handed but will still piss our mc anyway
    -still trying to remember others..haha
  • - MC kills someone important causing a powerful group to hunt him.  MC becomes stronger, beats the group, then kills another important person starting the cycle over again.  
  • edited October 2016
    - Coughing a mouthful of blood
    - Blood spraying from mouth
    - Although it took time to describe it, but the actual event happened in the blink of an eye.
    - When MC kills some small fries, it will most likely lead to their senior avenging them but then gets killed. Then the senior's senior avenging the senior... The list goes on.
  • Meng Hao doesn't only use swords either. He loves to use spears as well.
  • edited November 2016
    Whenever the author describes the woman has skin as lustrous as jade, I'm reminded of She-Hulk... Which of course, crashed my suspension of disbelief DLL system file...
  • - Coughing a mouthful of blood
    - Blood spraying from mouth
    - Although it took time to describe it, but the actual event happened in the blink of an eye.
    - When MC kills some small fries, it will most likely lead to their senior avenging them but then gets killed. Then the senior's senior avenging the senior... The list goes on.
    HAHAHHAHA
    - This junior/ This senior
    - &$@#**!!!
    - Give me some face
  • Friends,
    Don't forget:
    "Play the pig to trap a Tiger."
    "Give wings to a Tiger."
    I've yet to encounter my favorite yet in a Xianxia:
    "Give an Oni a Kanabo."
    What would be the proper Mandarin term for "Oni"and "Kanabo"?

Saxon Violence
  • I have always wondered how sects or schools managed to stay intact for so long when all it takes is 1 childish fight that leads them to ruins. I concluded that the seed of stupidity/arrogance is planted by the higher gods in the wombs of all mother's in the universe, several generation ahead of MC's time, in order for the stupid index of the people drop significantly enough to ensure MC's task of population control becomes "heroic".
  • mga...  hidden dragons crouching tigers
    you read that every damn chapter

and "i belong to .... dont you dare kill me"
  • I agree. And that's the reason why many Chinese readers don't like this kind of xianxia novels. Many of them follow similar plot development. This is especially the case for BATTLE THROUGH THE HEAVENS and WU DONG QIAN KUN, which were written by the same author. However, there are indeed some web novels that I think are obviously excel others.
    I personally recommend 《昆仑》, 《亵渎》, 《英雄志》, 《雪中悍刀行》,《搜神记》,《蛮荒记》。I hope in the future these books can be translated for English-speaking readers.
    As to novels already posted in the wuxiaworld, I only read a few of them, but I think books written by Jinyong or Gulong always won't let you down. Besides, TERROR INFINITY and RENEGADE IMMORTAL also have a good feedback among Chinese readers.
  • edited December 2016
    I think your note No.4 "cheng wang defeats the invader" refers to the Chinese idiom 成王败寇. By literal translation it would be: "the winner becomes the king, the loser becomes the adversary." It means regardless of good or evil, whoever wins gets the right to write history book and claim themselves to be just and legal, and their foe malicious and illegal.
  • @neilchang621 but why is there so many of novels like that !? most of them are up 1000 chapters ,there most be a lot  of people giving them "recommendation tickets".

-mc is always weaker than his adversary (lvl wise).
  • @souldz25  I think that's because people who like this kind of novels are even more than those who don't, much more in fact. After all, this kind of novels can make you feel excited. After reading some novels of the same pattern (the number of books varies from person to person), some of them get bored and becomes more selective about the plot, diction and other factors that distinguish talented writers from average ones. However, there will always be new readers who are satisfied with this kind of novels and some just never get bored about it.
  • Let the Chinese PPL explain below

1- beside the sword thou shall no use others weapon. the sword is king, there is only sword intent (big prop to MW author for making the MC a spear user, hope one day i can see a battle axe user as the MC)  "Wrong, sometimes even fist can beat everything, because it's a part of your body and faster than anything which does not belong your body."
    you always see sword may because it can be ...."Cool" when you carry it.

2-there is no ugly woman,they can all cause the downfall of a nation(mostly ture...but sometimes ugly woman also welcomes)
    3-women beauty is related with the whiteness of the skin (i always roll my eyes when i read ATG author describing girls )
    (different culture, in acient time of china, only noble or rich people no need to work out side and can keep them away from the sunshine)( yeah, i know you guys like bronze skine...)
    4-cheng wang defeats the invader(history approves)
    5-there shall always be that playboy who wanna kill MC because he saw him with a beauty(.....we don't like this kind of story any more)
    6-Human beings die in pursuit of wealth, and birds die in pursuit of food( ture...worldwide)
    7-the MC is a loner,there shall not be consistant and developped supporting characters (big prop to CD author for bebe )
    8-the chickens and dogs does not remains (those who read MTL translation will understand lol )(which means you kill and destingushi everything in your eyesight)
    9-when the author can't find a plot, there shall be a good 50 chapters about looking for treasures and exploring (ROFL...so ture)
  • falcon said:
    1- beside the sword thou shall no use others weapon. the sword is king, there is only sword intent (big prop to MW author for making the MC a spear user, hope one day i can see a battle axe user as the MC)
    2-there is no ugly woman,they can all cause the downfall of a nation
    4-cheng wang defeats the invader
    5-there shall always be that playboy who wanna kill MC because he saw him with a beauty
    6-Human beings die in pursuit of wealth, and birds die in pursuit of food
    8-the chickens and dogs does not remains (those who read MTL translation will understand lol )
    9-when the author can't find a plot, there shall be a good 50 chapters about looking for treasures and exploring 

what did i forget?

2) There's actually history in china whereby women did cause the downfall of a nation. Similar to Helen of Troy.

3) As for beauty, most chinese find fair skin to be esthetically more beautiful. For BOTH men and women.

My sort-of racist chinese boss actually told me this once... "white people are the superior race/nations, followed by the chinese and followed by the darker skinned people"

My wife used to both loved & hated it when i had fairer skin than her. Now that i've gotten more tanned, she complains to me that i look better with fairer skin. :neutral: 

6) I believe that this is a common saying in china, or an idiom of some sort

8) same as 6

• Do not forget our super powered attack that crushes the enemy into either a stain a meat patty or annihilates him completely so that not even dust remains. 

Also do not forget our chaste pure maidens who blush at the thought of getting kissed or get beet red if there is a situation where the MC is forced to touch them for treatment or whatever. Probably even a white sheet of paper would be darker than the minds of these girls / women xD.
  • MC must always have that insert "characteristic here "  - Spirit animal/Pet/spirit guide/ghost - that will help them in every way possible from cultivations to impossible escapes they never leave home without finding one
  • I have only read 3 Wuxia novels so far....Yet I cannot agree with this more than I do now ROFL. This kind of reminds me of when I started watching anime and noticed all the overly used cliche xD
    "What is the Eight-fold Dao..?"

~To read 8,000 chapters~
  • Eyes going red from extreme emotion (anger). Don't know how its not mentioned yet lol. I always wondered how this looked.. do their eyes just glow? Is it a reddish tint? Or do they mean it as a figure of speach, as in bloodshot eyes or some such.