Xianxia cliches, a list, reactions, and general venting

1235»

Comments

• Ovnidemon said:
    Did he not exchanged his mind with his counterpart? I read it a bit long ago, so I don't remember it well.
    No, they both have different minds and bodies. There's no exchange.

The one novel that I can remember the MC exchanging his mind with his counterpart is the "Simple Life of Killing Demons", but not LLS.
    "A person only dies when they are forgotten" - Dr. Hiluluk
  • I haven't read as much as some but here is what I have come across.

Ridiculously Gary Stu
    Ridiculously OP MC
    Deus ex machina
    Plot Armor
    Woman in the Refrigerator
    One Dimensional Characters - MC and or others/Lack of Character Arcs
    Too Many Characters
    Telling and not Showing
    Contrived, inconsistent, too many, and story/scene-breaking Rankings, Magic, and Power ups
    Using Physical and or Mental inadequacies/disabilities as a punch line
    Rape. Treating it as a punchline, too often used as motivation, trying to justify it, etc.
    Hypocritical and contradictory philosophies
    Repetition in ..just about any aspect
    Information Dumps alongside too much, too soon.
    Forced Exposition, forced dialogue, unnatural dialogue, impossible dialogue
    Nonsensical, inconsistent, and immersion breaking aspects regarding time, size, space, etc.
    Irrelevant Premise
    Lack of and poorly done world building

There's plenty more I'm sure, but I'm tired at the moment. I don't mind many of the tropes of the genre since that's obviously what brought me here in the first place. It's more about how many if not all of these novels I come across, seem to lack very basic fundamentals of writing. Some of the tropes and even the list of aspects above such as viewpoints on rape, pedophilia, fallacy in philosophies, even some of the forced dialogue...I can just chalk that up to cultural differences. Those.. I just roll with the punches or ignore them completely...to some extent at any rate.
  • edited October 2016
    Ophis said:
    BUT, what I abhor the most is the FREAKING FLYING SWORDS. Gosh, how I hate that shit. Swords are meant to be wielded by your damn hands and be used alongside swordsmanship to fight, NOT TO BE VOMITED AT THE OPPONENT. If you wanted a damn throwing weapon use shurikens or a freaking bow, but not swords.
    I've read a xianxia where the cultivators practically stayed put in the same place while vomiting their flying swords at one another, and the fight was basically a midair clash of flying swords where the loser would puke blood.
    Flying Swords has to be one of the lamest shits I ever had the displeasure of reading about.

I see your "flying swords", and raise you "sword light". That is the light flashing off a sword stroke which then flies off to become a ranged attack (as seen in anime or video games). Not the sword, the light. This is sometimes released without an actual sword being present; just the cultivator's "sword intent".

• edited October 2016
    The MC having ridiculous fortune bugs me a bit.  Everywhere they go they encounter and capture rare treasures.  If they have some good explanation about why this happens it's ok, but most of the time it isn't explained at all.  Why are they so much luckier then everyone else?  One supper lucky destiny changing event at the start is great.  Two such events is a bit much. After three or more it gets hard to swallow.   
  • edited October 2016
    Greyman said:
    Ophis said:
    BUT, what I abhor the most is the FREAKING FLYING SWORDS. Gosh, how I hate that shit. Swords are meant to be wielded by your damn hands and be used alongside swordsmanship to fight, NOT TO BE VOMITED AT THE OPPONENT. If you wanted a damn throwing weapon use shurikens or a freaking bow, but not swords.
    I've read a xianxia where the cultivators practically stayed put in the same place while vomiting their flying swords at one another, and the fight was basically a midair clash of flying swords where the loser would puke blood.
    Flying Swords has to be one of the lamest shits I ever had the displeasure of reading about.

I see your "flying swords", and raise you "sword light". That is the light flashing off a sword stroke which then flies off to become a ranged attack (as seen in anime or video games). Not the sword, the light. This is sometimes released without an actual sword being present; just the cultivator's "sword intent".

@Ophis: Think of such cultivators as sword mages instead of melee weapon users if this will help you feel better.

@Greyman:
    "Sword light" is more than what you described to be. Perhaps the limitations of translation and cultural unfamiliarity lead you to this conclusion?

As an analogy, when using English to translate the Chinese word CHI. one would have to use words like gas or breath, sign of life, energy etc in different context. However, in a different language like Hebrew translating CHI into RUACH would cover everything.

• @Ophis: Think of such cultivators as sword mages instead of melee weapon users if this will help you feel better.

Actually, that doesn't make it better at all. If you're a mage, throw your damn magic at the opponent not swords. Besides, the problem here is that they are not mages who specialize in controlling weapons through magic but melee fighters, and the flying thing is a property of the sword itself not an ability from the user.

Since it's the sword's ability to begin with, anyone and everybody will have that shit. Look at Xian Ni for example, that story is full of "sword mages".
    "A person only dies when they are forgotten" - Dr. Hiluluk
  • 1 - the strong girls are beauties. the stronger the girl, the prettier she is. apparently, in the cultivation world, ugly women are lowlife forms incapable of being strong.
    2 - beautiful girl = white skin. very beautiful girl = very white skin.
    3 - the girls' feelings are irrelevant. if there is a strong guy, he thinks he automatically has the right of having that beauty. ask her opinion? of course no!
    4 - the MC will attract the attention of the beauty, but some other guy, who has a huge backing, already "loves" that girl (in xianxia, love her = thinks she is hot and wants to have sex with her, but probably never even talks to her). because of this, the villain will try to kill the MC so he can have the girl (again, why ask the girls who she prefers? her opinion is irrelevant!). now the MC has to fight an entire sect/clan to acquire ownership over the girl. and of course she will love the MC after that. he is strong, badass and fought for her. how dare she not act like and object and not love the winner?
    5 - all the important events that might benefit the MC will happen exactly when/where he needs it. he just arrives in a city and guess what??? there is a tournament that happens only once every 10.000 years, restricted to his exact level of cultivation, which prizes an amazing treasure that is exactly what he is looking for, going to happen next week! wow! what a lucky guy! 
  • Okay, we get it, the females are beautiful, graceful and have nice curves. We understood with the first description. There is no need to constantly remind us how pretty a person is. I could not get past ATG because of this crap. I was literally gritting my teeth with the constant paragraphs dedicated to describing female beauty and I'm at the point of thinking, there are a lot of repressed men writing Wuxia which explains why I cannot get through a lot of them. I started reading Wuxia a month ago and it's been five novels but I am already completely worn out. Also, I absolutely abhor the harem genre. It's lazy, tiresome, overdone and downright silly. 

I think this may be a cultural thing but like every beauty makes everyone jealous of the MC like they have nothing better to do. I mean really, It's something that every time I see it, I get a culture shock. Also, every male who looks at this beauty looks at her with lusty eyes. It's just so ridiculous. 

Sometimes, it's just borderline creepy especially the way these females are like 13. I get that these are set in a more "ancient" background but that just gives me the creeps. Like in ATG, he peeked at one of the female character's vagina and even commented on it and my pedo senses reared like nothing else. Some people say it's fiction and they are okay with loli. I won't judge, I have my fair share of kinks but I tend to like the middle aged type so loli just gives me the freaking creeps.
  • edited October 2016
    The problem isn't the cliche itself, but a poor developed cliche which tires the reader.

These are few of the cliches I really hate:

-Good for nothing MC:
    He can't think, he can't fight, he can't kill, he can't talk to women, but he gets an asspull and wins all the times without understanding how.
    He keeps dumb coachroach villains alive that will try to rape his friends, and after he defeats them (without killing them obviously), they will come back after 100+ chapters randomly overpowered.
    Almost all the japanese stuff, and novels I dropped in the toilet had this crap

-Never-ending retarded villains:
    It doesn't matter how many villains will be killed, because in the next chapter other 10 villains will appear for no reason. There's not a "rest" in the story.
    ATG was boring me due to this shit

-MC will remain virgin even after 10.000 years:
    MC has a "belover", but they don't fuck nor else. Plain sexless beings.
    This was something that in ISSTH could be developed better to make it perfect.
    No need for explicit sex scenes, just "they passed days and nights together" without mentioning the "virgin" matter could have been enough.

In ATG it was acceptable at the very least.

-Anything else that would cause a bad and poor developed story plot.

• The problem isn't the cliche itself, but a poor developed cliche which tires the reader.

These are few of the cliches I really hate:

-Good for nothing MC:
    He can't think, he can't fight, he can't kill, he can't talk to women, but he gets an asspull and wins all the times without understanding how.
    He keeps dumb coachroach villains alive that will try to rape his friends, and after he defeats them (without killing them obviously), they will come back after 100+ chapters randomly overpowered.
    Almost all the japanese stuff, and novels I dropped in the toilet had this crap

-Never-ending retarded villains:
    It doesn't matter how many villains will be killed, because in the next chapter other 10 villains will appear for no reason. There's not a "rest" in the story.
    ATG was boring me due to this shit

-MC will remain virgin even after 10.000 years:
    MC has a "belover", but they don't fuck nor else. Plain sexless beings.
    This was something that in ISSTH could be developed better to make it perfect.
    No need for explicit sex scenes, just "they passed days and nights together" without mentioning the "virgin" matter could have been enough.

In ATG it was acceptable at the very least.

-Anything else that would cause a bad and poor developed story plot.

you are probably talking about japanese stories, no? because in most chinese LN the MC is the most badass, invincible, smartest, awesome person of all history. and they are not virgins too.