Daos in ISSTH

so as i'm reading other novels like DE, CD, Xian Ni, TDG and more, in order to get stronger you need to learn the Daos like the Dao of water, sword, time etc..., but in ISSTH  they have their own Daos like Meng hao's is something with freedom and immortal tribulation is to test their daos, and meng hao never actually meditate on actual dao like water, fire, space(except when he created his totems) but he meditate on magic art and stuff like that, but one time his father showed him the Dao of the sword, so i wanted to know exactly how the Daos works in ISSTH? like only when they become immortals they can meditate on them? or they have only Dao hearts(is that what its called?)? maybe i missed something and thats why i'm so confused, so please someone clear it up for me >_<

Comments

• I think in novels like CD or DE, the Dao is more like a natural law that is there and that you can attune to and learn to use and so on. One example is how in CD (considering that you've gotten to the part where you have seen all of these I'm guessing you're far into CD) Linley takes the pulsing law of the earth element and uses it to shape his ability (it's been a long time since I read CD). On the other hand in ISSTH or even Xian Ni it seems more like the Dao can be anything as long as it conforms to the Daoist's beliefs. So we can think about Chen Fan and how he initially liked being in the sword sect because he felt it confirmed to his belief of righteousness although that might have changed now. We can also think of Pill Demon and how his Dao was the Dao of alchemy and how much he was engrossed in alchemy and we also have Meng Hao who was constantly chased and owed money when he was young and essentially his Dao has to do with his wish to be free of all of that and have control of his life. So essentially in ISSTH a Dao may be anything as long as it confirms with the persons true heart, and that's why to become a true immortal you have to create or have your own Dao while if you use someone else's you won't reach the top and will be stuck as a false immortal.

So to Recap, DE and CD are more about understanding the laws around them and gaining mastery over them. ISSTH is more about creating your own and following it.
  • I can't tell how much the Daos of ISSTH and CD differ but I think what kevther said is quite correct and why don't you read the ancient demon immortal sect arc where he bows to the 3 mountains and one of the mountain asks what is the Dao and he explains it.You should read that chapter, it might clear your doubts.I am not sure about the chapter number but I think its around 620 or something
  • I can't tell how much the Daos of ISSTH and CD differ but I think what kevther said is quite correct and why don't you read the ancient demon immortal sect arc where he bows to the 3 mountains and one of the mountain asks what is the Dao and he explains it.You should read that chapter, it might clear your doubts.I am not sure about the chapter number but I think its around 620 or something
    i did, but what confused me is that his dad showed him the DAO of the sword, and in the immortal rites(is that what its called?) when bunch of chosens came to plant south heaven to compete for the good fortune, meng hao used one of the sword moves and they said something about him being sword cultivator or how can he have insights in the DAO of the sword if he's such a bad person? (tbh i barely remember what they said but it was something like that, correct me if i was wrong) and there was the thing with the totems too, so i got little bit confused(specialy when i'm reading multiple novels at the same time >_<, don't advice me otherwise, because i wont listen :blush: ).
  • Dao is the way.  The path to enlightenment.

There are all sorts of Dao.  The Dao of the Sword, the Dao of Alchemy, the Dao of Poisons, the Dao of Totems, and so on.  All are paths many cultivators may pursue as they advance.

Then there's the Dao of Immortality; a thing in itself.  To become a true immortal one must discover their own personal path; false immortals merely imitate.

• edited August 2016
    I always believed a Dao to be a personal understanding of a certain Dao, the more they understand it and it's nature they get more proficient at using it, of course if you understand it incorrectly it might just hamper you the further you cultivate, to break through.
  • Well, because Dao can literally mean "path" or "way" Meng Hao's "Dao" can be interpreted as his own path. However, when the word Dao comes up at other times, such as Dao of Poisons, Totems, etc. it can mean the way of the totem. So basically when he's being shown other Daos, what he is actually doing is like learning about Poisons, Totems or things like that.