English novels that are like...[insert novel here]...

Gasp!  Dare I say it??? I have read or am currently reading what feels like almost every wuxia, xianxia, or other Chinese, Japanese, and Korean novel out there.  I'm addicted!  I love them!  I hate waiting on new chapters!  I want to read something that I don't have to wait a day/week/month etc... with desperately bated breath for a new chapter to come out and satisfy my craving.  For 5 minutes.  

While I'm a fan of fantasy, romance, urban fantasy, etc...I just cannot seem to think of any english novels that fit the bill - that have the same feel as my favorite novels here.  There's some good ones, but they're often too pedantic.  I like my heroes often roguish, somewhat perverted and unashamed, and martial artist bad*sses.  Think Heavenly Jewel Change, ISSTH, Long Live Summons, Assassin Landlord & Beauty Tenants, UGW, and The Demonic King Chases His Wife.  The epic, cool story lines like Tales of Demons & Gods, True Martial World, SOTR, The Great Ruler, and Coiling Dragon.  Even the modern day/futuristic game stories like The Godly Hunter, My Beautiful Wife is a CEO, Zhan Long, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, and The King's Avatar.  There's just too many good ones to name.

So I have come to you fellow cultivators of the great dao of the translations reader to see if you have any english novels to suggest that might work (and which are published so that I don't have to wait on translations).  They don't have to be chinese style novels, just looking for suggestions of anything that fits the style.  

Comments

• There are several that I can think of for standard type fantasy - Name of the Wind and Deeds of Paksennarion of are a couple of my favorites.  But I can't really think of any that have the irreverant/perverted MC who is a bad*ss and usually ends up a with harem style.  
  • edited August 2016
    I'm the same, i was looking for the same thing as you sometime ago didn't find anything so i gave up i'm open to sugestions too xD the only thing that i read that came close to your tastes was Dejavu Ascendancy months ago... i don't really know what to call it book,novel,fiction whatever... if you can get pass the annoying sex scenes things get pretty interesting the mc does some things to his enemies that would make  some xianxia mcs blush and his powers are pretty damn interesting imo.
  • I dont think you will ever fing fantasy book with harem. But there are a lot of really good f books. For example Brant Weeks trillogy, Peter V Breet books. They have strong MC with really good story.  Also if you liked the game try The Witcher by Sapkowski, great book with mature(and funny) language and of Gerald is strong :D 
  • edited August 2016
    Aliuss said:
    I dont think you will ever fing fantasy book with harem. But there are a lot of really good f books. For example Brant Weeks trillogy, Peter V Breet books. They have strong MC with really good story.  Also if you liked the game try The Witcher by Sapkowski, great book with mature(and funny) language and of Gerald is strong D 
    The Wheel of time is a harem right ?? i didn't read it because open endings is one of the things i hate the most in my readings... 
  • edited August 2016
    RIIIcardo said:
    Aliuss said:
    I dont think you will ever fing fantasy book with harem. But there are a lot of really good f books. For example Brant Weeks trillogy, Peter V Breet books. They have strong MC with really good story.  Also if you liked the game try The Witcher by Sapkowski, great book with mature(and funny) language and of Gerald is strong D 
    The Wheel of time is a harem right ?? i didn't read it because open endings is one of the things i hate the most in my readings... 
    Yeah, i read WOT years ago.  Was like the first fantasy aside from Lord if the Rings that i read, so i loved it.  Pretty much have no desire to get back into it now though (plus i know how it ends, lol)

I've actually tried reading The Witcher but it was really hard to follow and disjointed. Hadn't realized it was going to be a bunch of short stories so i didn't get that far into it.  Been meaning to check out the Brent Weeks stuff and that De ja vu Ascendancy sounds interesting, will have to check that out.  

Still just so sad though that the wuxia/xianxia (though really, i think its the light novel format in general) format is so hard to find (if at all) in american fiction.  I keep thinking that there has to be something like it, but i just really can't think of anything and i've read a lot.  May come down to simply different formats and themes between asia and america, kind of like the asian drama format doesn't really exist here.  Aside from tv mini series, we just don't really have shows that are complete in 12 to 25 episodes and tell a full story.
  • And i don't have to have a harem story or anything, i just typically like the irreverant MCs that usually come withwith them, lol. 
  • Short stories are only the first volume in Witcher, next ones are like any other book. 
  • I like the Prince of Thorns trilogy. It doesn't have crazy magic or immortality or anything like that but it does have an edgy young main character who has to grow up and murder his way to the throne.
  • The best solution I can give is to learn chinese.