ISSTH is boring. /rant

Oh My Dao, ISSTH is so boring.
I think the pacing is so slow.
I really do want to get into it. I've read everything here (barring 1-2 novels) before I picked this up. But I just can't get into ISSTH.

I'm only on Book 1 Chapter 34. I'll stick with it.
Please tell me it's worth sticking with it. That the pacing will really take off once soon.

I'm trying so hard... but this is just so boring.

Maybe it's just that I no longer find the master formula for xianxia/wuxia that exciting, so the beginning of the novel is going to seem boring.
MC is weak,
MC finds something that can make him strong/has memories/has ghost teacher/has secret stash of OP material up his ass,
MC is underestimated,
MC is courting death,
MC doesn't die (woo plot armor),
MC still acts like an arrogant prick even tho everything he has is due to coincidence/no reason at all/is a million years older than the oldest person there.
MC is now involved in a retarded spiral of revenge killing.
MC has 5 million one dimensional concubine loving women in love with him for no reason at all. (this irks me. even strong women turn into basically a robot).
MC shocks everyone and their dad in some tournament on a smaller stage, and then on a larger stage (clan -> empire -> continent -> interworld -> interuniverse -> vs pangu himself).

/rant

Just had to write that down somewhere and get my useless thoughts out into the world.

Comments

• If ISSTH is not for you, then don't read it. Everyone is born different, with different taste, with different want and like. You my friend, are different and there's no shame in that. Go and find your own dao.
  • I'm sorry if i'm being rude (there have been so many of these threads already) but have u not f'in read a single one of the countless threads about issth? Every thread about issth has at least one person tell you that this novel is slow the first 100 chapters after which it starts picking up and just gets more and more epic. Also, more than half of the cliches you wrote about MCs don't apply to meng hao and some of the ones like the MC being weak(why the f do you think this is a xianxia?). Granted there area exceptions (skyfire avenue) but they are 1 in a 100. Also, even if you have only read 34 chapters, how do you not understand already that meng hao is not your typical xianxia MC. If you want to stop then stop, no one is telling you to read it
    Understand basic grammar:
    Your vs You're
    There vs Their vs They're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• First of all, what you're reading as "xianxia/wuxia" is probably fan translations of chinese webnovels correct? They are meant to appeal to a wide audience, after all the authors usually make money PER chapter, resulting in pacing going out the window sometimes, and the need to keep attention.

The master formula is admittedly, what most webnovels follow, however for true xianxia/wuxia, there are many better, and clearly more genre defining than kiritoclonehere MC.

"Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre" is an excellent example of perhaps not classic, but very well written novel. The comparison between this book and webnovels is similar to your dime a dozen english teenage novels contrasting with Charles dickens (maybe not that drastically).

To address your formula being in ISSTH, I personally have to mostly disagree. The pacing is indeed slow, but even Deathblade himself stated the first book is more a prologue, an introduction into the world of ISSTH. The reliance sect as a whole represents the cultivation world, where you fight tooth and nail for what you want. Connections are everything, if you don't have a sect/powerful backers, you get nowhere, such as Meng Hao using Xu Qing's status to bully others, whereas before he was given a seemingly useless mirror.

MC is weak? What point are you trying to make? Most stories about rising power revolve around becoming strong from a weak background.
    MC has X? This is mostly a cop out by authors yes, but considering the scale of ISSTH's world, where sects are literally everywhere and offending one means offending all, having one small cheat item (up to where you read) which actually needs consumables seems balanced compared to inheriting an entire bloodline because you're "kind" (ignoring the millions killed beforehand).
    MC is considered X by others? Every story has this. Hubris is a very well known and used thing, especially in Chinese novels where respect/face is important. Consider it a culture thing instead of a problem with wuxia/xianxia. Also Meng is arrogant? He's probably the least arrogant MC I've seen. 9/10 in fights the MC will "sneer in derision". Meng takes it a virtue to remain low when possible, possibly having the most contingencies and caution compared to other MCs.
    Spiral of revenge killing? Only 500 chapters in, and hardly retarded.
    Women? Okay quite a few faults, most women are hardly characterized. However ISSTH's cultivation takes decades or centuries, at a normal pace. Many of the women MH meets are either in they're stuck together in similar shitty situations (usually because of the women), or literal years pass for anything to happen. Having feelings over such long times is normal.

While ISSTH may not be comparable to true blue xianxia written by professionals with hardcovers, it's a hell of a lot better than others. For one it actually is XianXia, Immortal Heroes. People are actively trying to be Immortal, not some incremental power spikes to infinity. Also it stays true to what is actually says. Very early on it clearly states why Meng Hao fights a lot more, and why he is more cold blooded than seeing one murder and going, 'right time to kill thousands cus I'm mad'.

TL;DR Read more of it past the first volume, pace picks up. Read some actual wuxia/xianxia, turn a blind eye to tropes since the webnovel genre needs to to keep readers. Also ATG is garbage storytelling, at least in making the MC logical in any sense.

• ISSTH and OEM are the only xianxia that raise the bar IMO.. Rest is pretty much copy/ paste trash.

That being said I didn't give a fcuk about western desert ark and pretty much skipped that..
  • ISSTH is slow at the start.

Enter a certain 'meat jelly' and the series will explode and you shall exorcise all those evil thoughts by yourself !
  • edited April 2016
    Hi d4sh!
    Glad to see you're ISSTH a shot, I personally think it's one of my favorite web-novels.

The pacing does really pick up as it goes on, so give it a shot!

I remember I couldn't stand reading it from the early sections, but I gave it a second chance after ~120 chapters were released. I still wasn't at all into it until I read past a certain point in book 1. Maybe you'll feel the same way and change your opinion!

What really stands out to me is that even non-combat, non-cultivation chapters are often interesting.

it sounds to me like you're describing distaste for a general pattern there... don't worry, ISSTH doesn't completely fit.

Formulaic things that kind of happen-
    1. MC is weak,
    2. MC finds something that can make him strong/has memories/has ghost teacher/has secret stash of OP material up his ass,
    3. MC is underestimated
    4. MC doesn't die (woo plot armor)
    Although thing number 2 doesn't happen in quite the way you're imagining, something to that effect does happen.
    It's not without consequences.

As for thing 4... it usually only comes up in non-combat situations.

Formulaic things that don't really happen
    1. MC is courting death,
    2. MC still acts like an arrogant prick even tho everything he has is due to coincidence/no reason at all/is a million years older than the oldest person there.
    3. MC is now involved in a retarded spiral of revenge killing.
    4. MC has 5 million one dimensional concubine loving women in love with him for no reason at all. (this irks me. even strong women turn into basically a robot).
    5. MC shocks everyone and their dad in some tournament on a smaller stage, and then on a larger stage (clan -> empire -> continent -> interworld -> interuniverse -> vs pangu himself).

Particularly of note to your complaint... the MC is usually not stupidly arrogant, and he's aware of it when he's challenging people stronger/older than him.

• It's better than Xian Ni. I don't what happened to xian ni but the story went crazy.
  • u need to keep read it until book 2, and u will see the different
  • I know... Upto chapter 60 something, ISSTH is really really boring. After that Meng Hao starts conning people and stuff and it gets really really interesting and addicting.

Drag upto chapter 60~ and you won't regret it.
  • edited April 2016
    You're not wrong. Even the action/fight sequences get really really tiring. Stretches things out more than DBZ, One Piece, etc. Even the most recent fight right now he is fighting a guy that he can supposedly kill pretty easily now, but the author stretched it out to 3+ chapters for one minor character and has the MC irrationally stretch out his little dumb powerup system when clearly the smartest thing to do would be for him to kill the dude as quickly as possible by entering his highest state since he's supposed to be keeping watch over this chick. It also has dumb stuff with how he acts with women. Don't read this novel if you hate the phrase "he spit blood and fled". 
  • You think 3 chapters for a fight is long? In Ze Tian Ji, the last fight of the tournament required 10 boring chapters. No dialogues, just useless descriptions. Prior to that, the rest of the tournament was actually well written though.
  • Here is why ISSTH is one of the best xianxias being translated right now -

1.MC is not underestimated
    2.MC doesn't court death.
    3.MC doesn't act arrogant.
    4.In 600 chapters you will find only 1 arrogant young master character.
    5.No endless circle of revenge shit.
    6.The tournaments are very creative. Not your average one on one duels.
    7.MC is one of the most logical MCs you will ever find in any Xianxia.
    8.Harem? MC want no hoe interfering with his cultivation.
    9.MC too lucky? excessive plot armor? Its all karma bitch.
    10.OP ghost teacher? Lord fifth will sell out meng hao for the love of life.
    Do I still need to continue?

• Draco said:
    You're not wrong. Even the action/fight sequences get really really tiring. Stretches things out more than DBZ, One Piece, etc. Even the most recent fight right now he is fighting a guy that he can supposedly kill pretty easily now, but the author stretched it out to 3+ chapters for one minor character and has the MC irrationally stretch out his little dumb powerup system when clearly the smartest thing to do would be for him to kill the dude as quickly as possible by entering his highest state since he's supposed to be keeping watch over this chick. It also has dumb stuff with how he acts with women. Don't read this novel if you hate the phrase "he spit blood and fled". 
    you think 3 chapter fight is long? and that dude is not a minor character per say. he is the first true antagonist of the ss stage that meng hao has to overcome. And the reason meng hao is dragging the fight out is so that he can properly measure the new power that he has now. Also, maybe it's just me but comparing this "long" issth fight to a long fight in say atg or mga, is the difference b/w heaven and earth. The fights is issth are way more epic imho
    Your vs You're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• OP I undestand you, at first I too thought like that (I was a beginner at reading wuxia/xianxia).
    You shouldn't think like this, how many chapters at has a web wuxia/xianxia novel? give or take usual around 1500, then if read just 30 chapters you didnt read even 5% of the novel so is too early  to get the big picture even more if you never read a previous work from the same author. Because of this I recomend you to stick till 100 chapters or to the end of vol. 1.
  • BookWorm said:
    Draco said:
    you think 3 chapter fight is long? and that dude is not a minor character per say. he is the first true antagonist of the ss stage that meng hao has to overcome. And the reason meng hao is dragging the fight out is so that he can properly measure the new power that he has now. Also, maybe it's just me but comparing this "long" issth fight to a long fight in say atg or mga, is the difference b/w heaven and earth. The fights is issth are way more epic imho
    Yes, especially considering he has already fought him before and knows all that the dude is capable of and is supposedly far superior to him now. There was no need for 3 stretched out and boringly repetitive chapters to finish that confrontation. That was simply filler and to fill a quota (I actually don't completely blame the author for this kind of stuff as the media in which his story is presented all but requires him to do that in order to get paid). But then I read something like TTNH which is almost devoid of that and actually has interesting characters and situations with different ways to dispatch stuff. That just makes the stretched out stuff in ISSTH appear all the more annoying.
  • Draco said:
    BookWorm said:
    Draco said:
    Yes, especially considering he has already fought him before and knows all that the dude is capable of and is supposedly far superior to him now. There was no need for 3 stretched out and boringly repetitive chapters to finish that confrontation. That was simply filler and to fill a quota (I actually don't completely blame the author for this kind of stuff as the media in which his story is presented all but requires him to do that in order to get paid). But then I read something like TTNH which is almost devoid of that and actually has interesting characters and situations with different ways to dispatch stuff. That just makes the stretched out stuff in ISSTH appear all the more annoying.
    it was not as much about the fight as it was showing off meng hao's new power. Also, the previous time they fought, meng hao had to do everything to even fight fairly against that huyan and this time, it allowed the readers to enjoy seeing huyan get trampled on. But anyway, we are getting off the topic of this thread so we will agree to disagree
    Your vs You're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• Just drop it if it doesn't suit your taste.I also droped ISSTH a while ago after he took his time cultivate in purple sea cuz for me it's too boring with no ramance (im romance lover).But I have to admit that ISSTH is really great and exciting in the first three hundreds chapters though.
  • I think you better give up on this site and go read manga and watch anime coz ISSTH  is one of the best out there and the story has no discrepancy. I've read about stuff mentioned at the beginning and being use only hundreds of chapters after that, so you can see that the author has a good hold of the story not like ATG where the author keep forcing things out of nowhere into the story, and I pretty like the fact that the MC don't go falling in love every now and then, this MC is very sincere with his feeling and don't get flabbergasted at the view of physical beauty. And the water takes time to heat up, simmer and then boil so that's pretty retarded to think that a story will be super excited at the very beginning and if it is, it would be either short or very boring at the end.
  • Randomfan said:
    I think you better give up on this site and go read manga and watch anime coz ISSTH  is one of the best out there and the story has no discrepancy. I've read about stuff mentioned at the beginning and being use only hundreds of chapters after that, so you can see that the author has a good hold of the story not like ATG where the author keep forcing things out of nowhere into the story, and I pretty like the fact that the MC don't go falling in love every now and then, this MC is very sincere with his feeling and don't get flabbergasted at the view of physical beauty. And the water takes time to heat up, simmer and then boil so that's pretty retarded to think that a story will be super excited at the very beginning and if it is, it would be either short or very boring at the end.
    I think everyone have their own thought and taste of novel.Well, his words and title are a bit harsh though.
  • Yeh. I'm up to chp 200+ . The general formula of "oh no he's going to kill me so I need to get stronger"->gets stronger kills bad guy "oh no, his brother wants revenge on me and is going to kill me I need to get stronger" -> gets stronger kills brother
    "Oh no, i offended his brothers  dog, it wants to kill me i need to get stronger" etc.
    Stays pretty much the same. I'd say skip the novel if it isn't working out for you at this point.
  • Keep it up, 5 vol. is where the real deal starts, much more real deal than it was ever before 5 vol. xD
    Occasionally yeah, pace might seem quite slow, but action sure worth it
    Maybe I'm the one
    Maybe I'm the one
    Who is .. the schizophrenic psycho, yeah
  • Well yes, I've read till chapter 650 of ISSTH and it's pretty boring because there are almost no feelings involved in the story (the only arc that I enjoyed was that with the Mastiff). Meng Hao wants to get stronger but for what reason? Just to get stronger meh. It's almost like more he gets stronger more he loses a part of his humanity and that's why it's becoming more and more boring...hope things change at some point

• d4sh said:
    Oh My Dao, ISSTH is so boring.
    I think the pacing is so slow.
    I really do want to get into it. I've read everything here (barring 1-2 novels) before I picked this up. But I just can't get into ISSTH.

I'm only on Book 1 Chapter 34. I'll stick with it.
    Please tell me it's worth sticking with it. That the pacing will really take off once soon.

I'm trying so hard... but this is just so boring.

Maybe it's just that I no longer find the master formula for xianxia/wuxia that exciting, so the beginning of the novel is going to seem boring.
    MC is weak,
    MC finds something that can make him strong/has memories/has ghost teacher/has secret stash of OP material up his ass,
    MC is underestimated,
    MC is courting death,
    MC doesn't die (woo plot armor),
    MC still acts like an arrogant prick even tho everything he has is due to coincidence/no reason at all/is a million years older than the oldest person there.
    MC is now involved in a retarded spiral of revenge killing.
    MC has 5 million one dimensional concubine loving women in love with him for no reason at all. (this irks me. even strong women turn into basically a robot).
    MC shocks everyone and their dad in some tournament on a smaller stage, and then on a larger stage (clan -> empire -> continent -> interworld -> interuniverse -> vs pangu himself).

/rant

Just had to write that down somewhere and get my useless thoughts out into the world.
    Why don't You go and read Middle part of the novel ahead or late part of novel, and make your brain think "oh cool, they fighting like super saiyan or WOW?"
    What WOW?? when you don't give a damn in started novel

You are too much reading novel. Get a life dude.

• The only way I enjoy ISSTH when I read 100-200 chapters in a row. I can tolerate most series to not stockpile but ISSTH just rubs me the wrong way if I don't do it.
  • edited June 2016
    It's pretty bad right now. The hell was the point of letting the character die and lose his foundation only to bring him back again? The death has zero impact on the reader because you know some bs plot device is gonna bring the MC back stronger than before somehow. Just a pointless stalling device that does nothing for the novel except for piling up more useless chapters with repetitive crap from the author.

If he is gonna kill the MC then he should just kill him and let him stay dead, replace him with someone better. A character that actually has a personality.
  • All the thing this guy mentioned only apply to ATG and CD that's why i dropped them too. Before you make a retarded thread like this, read at least 200 chapters of the novel then we can talk. Otherwise whether you are right or not you are just talking rubbish.
  • Dilios said:
    Well yes, I've read till chapter 650 of ISSTH and it's pretty boring because there are almost no feelings involved in the story (the only arc that I enjoyed was that with the Mastiff). Meng Hao wants to get stronger but for what reason? Just to get stronger meh. It's almost like more he gets stronger more he loses a part of his humanity and that's why it's becoming more and more boring...hope things change at some point
    That has to do with him being a demonsealer his temperament will change once he sever the devilish will of the league of demonsealers.
  • edited June 2016
    Author used the exact same crap death device in Xian Ni, just a bit later in the story than he did in Xian Ni and with a lot more useless chapters.
  • Draco said:
    Author used the exact same crap death device in Xian Ni, just a bit later in the story than he did in Xian Ni and with a lot more useless chapters.
    First up, thanks for the spoiler, and second, I get it, you don't like ISSTH, and frankly, it wouldn't matter what happens in the story, you still won't like it.
    I don't get why you're posting about it... you don't see me going around posting about how TDG sucks... so let sleeping dogs lie
  • Haters gonna hate?