Is the Conclave of Immortal Destiny flawed?

I was thinking that during the conclave, the higher immortals seemed to be primarily focused on the strength of the participants when choosing disciples. This means that the students they choose will be fiendgods. However, is there really a guarantee that a fiendgod practitioner will walk further on the immortal path than a ki refiner? After all, the ki refiners on the same stage might be weaker than their fiendgod counterparts but they might have a greater chance to become Pure Yang immortals than the fiendgod refiners have of becoming Empyrean gods. That is why it seemed to me that a competitition where strength is the greatest measuring tool. After all, only the top three were even shown to Crimsonbright and guaranteed entry into the Crimsonbright league. You might say since Lu Dongbin choose Yu Wei that this is not true, but I had a feeling that this was an exception since the Emperor did not care in the slightest about her. 

Comments

• To be honest, Ki Refiners are less powerful than Fiendgods, even after Ji Ning leaves Three-Realms to explore the universe, Fiendgods in the World Boundary level are far stronger than people at the Chaos Immortal level(Same level as World Boundary but for Ki Refiners). The generally aren't efficient in Close Combat and are frankly looked down upon and seen as lesser cultivators.

Ji Ning has a follower that is at the Chaos Immortal level and no one really sees her as their equal.
  • To be honest, Ki Refiners are less powerful than Fiendgods, even after Ji Ning leaves Three-Realms to explore the universe, Fiendgods in the World Boundary level are far stronger than people at the Chaos Immortal level(Same level as World Boundary but for Ki Refiners). The generally aren't efficient in Close Combat and are frankly looked down upon and seen as lesser cultivators.

Ji Ning has a follower that is at the Chaos Immortal level and no one really sees her as their equal.
    Well, to be fair to her, she came in when she was at Golden Immortal level and it's more that everyone they meet later are calibrated on Ji Ning's curve so she is always too weak to compare.

OTOH, when she is doing stuff alone/etc Chaos Immortals aren't considered that much weaker than World Gods.

Well... though TBH IET has really really big issues on the concept of range characters, so everything Melee always tend to be stronger for him.
  • I guess it's because you have a bigger chance of overcoming the tribulation when you are stronger.
  • edited June 2016
    Also, at World God/ Chaos Immortal level, cross training became quite easy. With effort, you can master both of those paths. It is also the good way to power up when you got to the limit but still not enough to become a dao lord so old culvicators would master both already
    Most of JN later opponents were talented/old enough to likely to have both.