DE, ISSTH, TMW, or other?

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out what to read next. If I rank what I've read so far, it would be
1) ST   2) CD   3) TDG   4) DD   5) BTTH   6) MGA   7) ATG   8) CSG

I was leaning towards DE since it's another IET novel but I tend to like the later books in his works and also the tragedy tag makes me reluctant. I've heard a lot about ISSTH and it seems to a very slow but consistent paced novel that's well written. I don't know much about TMW but it looks like it's the sequel to MW. Do I need to read MW before TMW or is it like a ST - CD kind of thing?

Which of these do you guys think is the most enjoyable to binge read? Any other recs are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Considering that...

• you're not new to novels
    • you want to binge read

... then I'd suggest ISSTH. 600 chapters and counting, it'll leave your panties wet. Once you're done with that go check out DE and TMW. :P 
  • You don't have to read MW first b4 reading TMW, TMW is a much more refined, complete work compared to MW, it's as you say, more of a ST-CD kind.

On ISSTH, you must be a bit patient because for me, and some people, only when it enters chp 200+ where it gets very interesting and addicting.

The tragedy on DE isn't that big for people to avoid it and if you like CD, you would have a good chance of liking DE.
  • I've read MW and TMW, and I've yet to encounter any relations between them, so I guess it's okay to read MW, I actually recommend you to try it.
    But you probably should first read CD, main reason is it's completely translated, so it's good to read it while other novels stack up some more chapters
    Maybe I'm the one
    Maybe I'm the one
    Who is .. the schizophrenic psycho, yeah
  • the tragedy level of DE is on the same level of that in CD... actualy... they are pratically the exacts same tragedies (can't go more in details without spoilering ^^') so if youe were fine and even liked a lot DC and ST than it will surely be a good reading

TMW is a good read... but if you like to read story that are already fully developed than i suggest to wait... it is still in its early phase and since the translation as also reached the most recent released ch you won't get any spoiler...

ISSTH is one of the best xanxia novel I've seen so far... it is also translated at quite the breackneak speed (thx to our estimed deathbalde)... it is a little different compared to many other xanxia since it has several chapter that are completely devoid of combat or even cultivation... (there is actualy an entire book where the MC don't lift a finger and only do moderate progress in his cultivation.... but presonally I consider that arc as one of the most interesting)... it also feature one of the actualy smratest MC in Xanxia... where the MC is not smart because the author say he is (this is actualy one of the most annoying thins for me in xanxia... where MC are smart or intelligent because the author say so but act often end up acting as idiots...)... but due to what he actualy does... there is also a moderate amount of humor in it... it doesn't break the flow of the epic plot but will still have you rolling on the floor from time to time...

with this make your choice (I've not spent a lot on talking about DE because you seem to already have a good knowledge of IET words... and while it can't be said that "read one read all"... they still have several similitude even when the STORY is different but the style is the same)
  • the tragedy level of DE is on the same level of that in CD... actualy... they are pratically the exacts same tragedies (can't go more in details without spoilering ^^') so if youe were fine and even liked a lot DC and ST than it will surely be a good reading

TMW is a good read... but if you like to read story that are already fully developed than i suggest to wait... it is still in its early phase and since the translation as also reached the most recent released ch you won't get any spoiler...

ISSTH is one of the best xanxia novel I've seen so far... it is also translated at quite the breackneak speed (thx to our estimed deathbalde)... it is a little different compared to many other xanxia since it has several chapter that are completely devoid of combat or even cultivation... (there is actualy an entire book where the MC don't lift a finger and only do moderate progress in his cultivation.... but presonally I consider that arc as one of the most interesting)... it also feature one of the actualy smratest MC in Xanxia... where the MC is not smart because the author say he is (this is actualy one of the most annoying thins for me in xanxia... where MC are smart or intelligent because the author say so but act often end up acting as idiots...)... but due to what he actualy does... there is also a moderate amount of humor in it... it doesn't break the flow of the epic plot but will still have you rolling on the floor from time to time...

with this make your choice (I've not spent a lot on talking about DE because you seem to already have a good knowledge of IET words... and while it can't be said that "read one read all"... they still have several similitude even when the STORY is different but the style is the same)
    The tradegy in DE isn't only in the start of the novel so I'm not sure I agree. Also DE is in a starved world where people are fighting and greedy to stay at the top so for me CD and ST where much more happy go lucky and DE "dark" in comparison.
  • I suggest DE, has some of the same sensibilities of IET's other works but added layer of maturity (not sex and gore more along the lines morality, relationships and hardships). I haven't read far enough in DE so I've yet to see the major tragedy people keep freaking about but judging from IET's writing for the series so far, it's not going to be gratuitous tragedy. I don't mind tragedy because it's a facet of reality and I find DE to be pretty realistic (aside from the magic and stuff) with how the characters behave and how diverse they are. 
  • it depends on what kind of tragedy you are talking about. The kind of tragedy i hate is the Shakespeare kind (romeo + juliet). Then there is xianxia tragedy where if someone close to MC dies, MC can just bring them back once he becomes powerful enough (especially in IET (not spoilers because it's obvious)).
    Also it's obvious you should read CD first since it it completed and then wait a bit or start another novel to let ST pile up chapters since it is gonna end soon and then just binge read ST from start to end...
    Understand basic grammar:
    Your vs You're
    There vs Their vs They're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• If you guys talk about tragedy, DE is the worst, at least in CD u only lose grandpa doehring, in ST u never lose anyone, but in DE someone really close die . . . and only alive in last book . . .

big big big big different, i will read DE when ren already translate until volume 20++, maybe it will make me forget the tragedy and i will start to read it.

• Clyne said:
    If you guys talk about tragedy, DE is the worst, at least in CD u only lose grandpa doehring, in ST u never lose anyone, but in DE someone really close die . . . and only alive in last book . . .

big big big big different, i will read DE when ren already translate until volume 20++, maybe it will make me forget the tragedy and i will start to read it.

i know who you are talking about (accidentally spoiled myself). I think they died because iet does not know how to develop any character other than MC and it's kind of a cop out because it gives a reason for MC to become the strongest and so on 
    Understand basic grammar:
    Your vs You're
    There vs Their vs They're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• Try also csg, it's really good, over 1800+ chapters on lnmtl and quite understandable machine translated. :)
  • I'll probably hold DE off until more chapters are translated and just hope that the tragedy is the "xianxia kind". I decided to start reading ISSTH and I've actually enjoyed reading the first 50 or so chapters. From what I've heard, it's only uphill from here so it should be a fun read.

Anyone have a recommendation from Tang Jia San Shao's novels? I had a pretty good impression of Douluo Dalu and want to see what else he's got.
  • Transcending the Nine Heavens is the best novel out there. Great pacing that doesn't feel like super stretched out sequences (that's a huge problem with some of these other xianxias like ISSTH, CSG, PMG, just super repetitive fillers that you can do without or super stretched out powerups). MC who actually uses his head to deal with stuff. Comedy that actually is in character and doesn't feel entirely out of place like. It's the most well written novel and best story out of all of the ones I've read so far (that includes all on this site). If you want to wait for more chapters you can though, but it's a really good story so far and judging from what people have said who have read the raws, it remains solid throughout and doesn't really ever dip in quality.