Rec me?

Hey guys, Lately I've just been randomly picking up stuff and reading it through and it isn't quite working out for me as there's a lot to sort through. So let me give you a list of what I've read to give you guys an idea of what kind of stuff I liked:

I loved/liked it:
God and Devil world
Martial World
True Martial World
The trembling world
demons diary
A record of a mortal's journey to immortality
Apocalypse cockroach
USAW
SOTR

It's decent/okay:
World of Cultivation
ISSTH
Against the gods
Xian ni

Meh:
PMG
MGA
close combat mage
CD
BTTH
TGR
WDQK
RPG WORLD
DISCIPLE
CCM
Zhan Long
TDG

I generally like stuff with

1) Good training arcs/interesting cultivation methods. I like it when authors mix in a lot of more traditional physical tempering methods as well as more spiritual ones. If it's nothing but meditation/lotus stance for 10000 years then it's boring and the writing feels lazy to me.
2) Good fights that aren't repetitive (and there can't be too many of them either because it gets in the way of 1). Fights should feel impactful and relevant and not just be filler. In other words I should be looking forward to them. WDQK/BTTH/TGR is a really bad example of this. MC has to have a 1-2 chapter fight with a random cronie after every small little upgrade he receives.
3) Interesting plot. Intrigue? Mystery? Good cliff-hangers, etc. a bad example of this would be MGA. MGA is just  the same repetitive thing over and over, want something new and interesting.
4) Good world-building. A bad example of this would be Zhan long. The game world that they constructed feels so incredibly amateurish that I could imagine  a young teenager coming up with something better.
5) if there is harem, it should be done well or not much time should be spent on developing it, romance/sexy girls/etc is just a perk for me and not a necessity. A bad example of this would be ATG. Yun Che spends over half his time nowadays just chasing skirts rather than focusing on what's important. It just so happens that the author legitimizes the skirt chasing by making the skirts he chase incredibly important to the plot, and this is just patchwork writing in my eyes. Author uses the ends to pursue the means rather than the other way around. Talk about putting the horse before the carriage. PS, harem is never done well I feel.
6) Good pacing. Not too slow not too fast. Bad examples of this: ATG, Zhan long, etc. Too much filler, and half-chapters talking about the same things over and over ruin the pacing and break the immersive experience.

I can elaborate more if you want.

Oh, I almost forgot one of the most important:

7) A good MC. Usually not a problem in most works. What I hate though is when the protagonist is too bull-headed/arrogant/or just outright stupid. Examples: TDG, ATG. Protagonists I do like: TMW, DD, SOTR, TTW

I'd appreciate it if you guys read my list before reccing something. I'm pretty worn out from all the binge reading I've done lately and it doesn't help that I didn't like most of what I read.

Comments

• I think you may like Ze Tian Ji, and MW is from the same author as TMW so you may possibly enjoy it. I can't really get anything from your list, so mind describing?
  • Like what you disliked about the novels you said were meh, and what you liked about the novels that were loveable
  • Hm? what do you mean? You want me to explain why I liked/disliked this stuff? Martial world is already on my list. I like it.
  • pandaBee said:
    Hm? what do you mean? You want me to explain why I liked/disliked this stuff? Martial world is already on my list. I like it.
    Yeah, I can't really give you novels without having a criteria of some sort.
  • well since you liked RMJI and demons diary style you might also like The Portal of Wonderland which is from same author and i guess is pretty good. you seem to like game style novels too. now i dunno if you tried any but some of the jap novels are like that and not at all bad (dunno why they mostly write game style novels though xD). you may like PMG(peerless martial god) .
  • edited April 2016
    I generally like stuff with

1) Good training arcs/interesting cultivation methods. I like it when authors mix in a lot of more traditional physical tempering methods as well as more spiritual ones. If it's nothing but meditation/lotus stance for 10000 years then it's boring and the writing feels lazy to me.
    2) Good fights that aren't repetitive (and there can't be too many of them either because it gets in the way of 1). Fights should feel impactful and relevant and not just be filler. In other words I should be looking forward to them. WDQK/BTTH/TGR is a really bad example of this. MC has to have a 1-2 chapter fight with a random cronie after every small little upgrade he receives.
    3) Interesting plot. Intrigue? Mystery? Good cliff-hangers, etc. a bad example of this would be MGA. MGA is just  the same repetitive thing over and over, want something new and interesting.
    4) Good world-building. A bad example of this would be Zhan long. The game world that they constructed feels so incredibly amateurish that I could imagine  a young teenager coming up with something better.
    5) if there is harem, it should be done well or not much time should be spent on developing it, romance/sexy girls/etc is just a perk for me and not a necessity. A bad example of this would be ATG. Yun Che spends over half his time nowadays just chasing skirts rather than focusing on what's important. It just so happens that the author legitimizes the skirt chasing by making the skirts he chase incredibly important to the plot, and this is just patchwork writing in my eyes. Author uses the ends to pursue the means rather than the other way around. Talk about putting the horse before the carriage. PS, harem is never done well I feel.
    6) Good pacing. Not too slow not too fast. Bad examples of this: ATG, Zhan long, etc. Too much filler, and half-chapters talking about the same things over and over ruin the pacing and break the immersive experience.

I can elaborate more if you want.

Oh, I almost forgot one of the most important:

7) A good MC. Usually not a problem in most works. What I hate though is when the protagonist is too bull-headed/arrogant/or just outright stupid. Examples: TDG, ATG. Protagonists I do like: TMW, DD, SOTR, TTW
  • @pandaBee Warlock of the Magus World will fit your perfectly. You’ll defiantly come to love it. :) I also suggest you checking out Long Live Summons and King Shura! ;) 

• edited April 2016
    I think you would like A Portal to Wonderland, The Magus Era and Conquest, some you might like are:
    Heavenly Jewel Change, Douluo Dalu, Long Live Summons!, Shen Yin Wang Zuo, Transcending the Nine Heavens, Otherworldly Evil Monarch, Ze Tian Ji, Murdering Heaven Edge.

I mean it is quite hard to say what you like besides IET and Tian Can Tu Dou novels so I recommended everything else that I know are successful novels from popular authors.
  • Long live summons sounds like haremshit though and I hate haremshit. Why should I read it?
  • pandaBee said:
    Long live summons sounds like haremshit though and I hate haremshit. Why should I read it?

Cause it's good characters, cultivation system and unique style with lots of humour but if you don't like it after 30chapters you won't like it later either unless the lies are the problem.

• @balinor I'll try it. However I detest PMG. It's incredibly repetitive, even more than MGA.
    @Nordic Alright if you say so I'll give it a try, though from the synopsis I'm skeptical.
  • Well, Ze Tian Ji has literally almost 0 fighting for the first 70ish chapters. But it's an interesting and unqiue novel. He gains his power in the 100s I think, and there is a fight at around chapter 80.

I'd recommend TDE, but it's an original novel. Maybe even blue phoenix? That's also an original novel.

Otherworldly Evil Monarch?