Learning chinese

is it important to learn Chinese but still it is considered as one of the hardest language to learn ?

Comments

• I don't think Chinese is too difficult but it is one of those languages which take time and can't be done quick. English is pretty easy as long as people don't use flowery language and Chinese kinda same as long as people don't make references and talk in riddles it is not super difficult but to read articles you need to know about HKE level of 3-4k words.
  • From personal experience, I believe it is not a matter of difficulty but instead the willingness and motivation to learn. It is amazing how much you can achieve with dedication and not just learning on a whim. Actually study every day and not just glance at some websites online, flip through a few textbook pages every now and then, and call that studying. Chinese (Japanese too) is not THAT much harder, so the difficulty disparity between languages is not an excuse.

So I guess the point is, if it is important enough to you, you will get there. Would be nice if more people learned Chinese, but usually the muttering of studying is just blowing hot air.
  • The most hardest language is foreign language,just like English is difficult for me
  • Chinese writing is difficult. Chinese speaking is not that difficult.
  • You shouldn't worry about those things.

No matter how hard others consider it to be, learning chinese, as well as any other foreign language (including asian languages) will always depend on your motivation and amount of exposure.

I speak portuguese natively, my english is self taught, I can say for sure that you can never learn a language just because you want it, sure you can open a book and memorize words to improve your vocabulary, or try to understand grammar rules, but if you truly want to learn a language, your brain must feel you need it as a communication method.

If your objective is learning chinese, make chinese a part of your daily life, get a QQ/Wechat account, make chinese friends, try to translate something every now and then, listen to chinese music, and find the learning methods that suit you best. Of course, cultural exposure is also extremely helpful.

I have been studying chinese for some time now, and I hope we will both be able to read (and maybe translate too?) proficiently one day. :smile: 
  • I'm learning English and some of Japanese. I believe the procedure of learning a Languange is bacially the same. Try to remember the basical elements, for English it is letters and the words, for Japanese it is the Fifty tone graph and words, for Chinese it is the strokes and again, the words. And then try to use them frequently so you will better understand the meaning and get used to it. Grammar can be learnt during the usage.
  • Chinese is difficult in a word can have more than one meaning
    The same meaning different words
    The same word has different meanings
    电子邮件:[email protected] :D 
  • In China, to see the novel, they have the opportunity to write a good novel
  • ZaiHuo said:
    You shouldn't worry about those things.

No matter how hard others consider it to be, learning chinese, as well as any other foreign language (including asian languages) will always depend on your motivation and amount of exposure.

I speak portuguese natively, my english is self taught, I can say for sure that you can never learn a language just because you want it, sure you can open a book and memorize words to improve your vocabulary, or try to understand grammar rules, but if you truly want to learn a language, your brain must feel you need it as a communication method.

If your objective is learning chinese, make chinese a part of your daily life, get a QQ/Wechat account, make chinese friends, try to translate something every now and then, listen to chinese music, and find the learning methods that suit you best. Of course, cultural exposure is also extremely helpful.

I have been studying chinese for some time now, and I hope we will both be able to read (and maybe translate too?) proficiently one day. :smile: 
    Very impressive. Would love to be a friend with you via QQ or Wechat. ;)
  • edited December 2016
    Chinese is difficult in a word can have more than one meaning
    So do other languages. In English, "line" can mean 'family' as in "our line has always ruled with wisdom and strength"(a quote from WOW). This usage confused me when I first read it.
  • Alth said:
    ZaiHuo said:
    You shouldn't worry about those things.

Very impressive. Would love to be a friend with you via QQ or Wechat. ;)
    Sure thing, I sent you my QQ number, please check your messages. :smile: 
  • yxwh said:
    Chinese is difficult in a word can have more than one meaning
    So do other languages. In English, "line" can mean 'family' as in "our line has always ruled with wisdom and strength"(a quote from WOW). This usage confused me when I first read it.
     :D It's also interesting to think about the languages of countries
  • i was born in mainland china and spent 5+ years in new york. I think it is fair to say that i know both chinese and english to some extent.
    i do not think chinese is as difficult as english for a non-native speaker--way less grammar rules and more flexible combinations of phrases..
    However, the learning curve of chinese is indeed much steeper at the beginning... you just have to endure the initial pain to reach the comfort zone..
  • Olivia said:
    Chinese is getting more and more popular. It’s really cool to learn Chinese, but it’s difficult for us. I find it easier to learn Chinese by reading novel. You can find a novel like “Heroic Creed”, it has both English version and Chinese version. So it will be easy for you to understand the Chinese version as well as memorizing the phrases in Chinese better.
    Unfortunately, the Chinese and English versions have too few novels