Why Metric???

Friends,
Why are Chinese Units invariably translated into Metric Units? Why not Imperial Units? Imperial is better.
Yeah, I am one of the Biggest Haters of the Metric System Online…
But even if I weren't…
Man is the Measure of All Things—Inch, Foot, Yard, Cubit, Fathom, Hand, Span—were all originally based on parts of the Human Body.
Some Effete Frenchmen decided to create a system originally based on an Arbitrary Fraction of the Earth's Circumference…
Everyone with their own traditional units should have responded:
"Hey, who died and left you sissy boys in charge of the World's System of Measurement?"
Instead…
Is Decimal Units that Important? Even now that we have Computers and Calculators?
Ah well…

Saxon Violence

I HATE the Metric System!

Comments

• Are you freaking kidding me, right?

"Man is the measure of all things" Then why I would have to use the measures of some random guy and not MY foot, MY Inch, My Yard, etc?

Metric system is WAY more accurate than a Imperial system, even with calculators and computers.
  • Maybe because the Chinese use metric.
  • anonpuffs said:
    Maybe because the Chinese use metric.
    Bingo ;).  China uses the metric system.

You will notice that in DE, although we use the metric system, there is a technique named the 'Three-Foot Sword'; that's because in Chinese, the original was 三尺剑, Three-Chi Sword.  A 'Chi', in Chinese, is an old term that has been now standardized at being exactly 1/3 of a meter; hence, the most appropriate translation term is 'foot'.

You're a bit narcissistic if you think a translator should have to modify their translations just so you can be satisfied with the measuring system that's being used.
    That being said, I do support the Imperial system solely because I grew up with it, so it's more familiar.  Honestly though, who cares?  I seriously doubt most people care about the distances that are being depicted in light novels.

Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • Yeah,

I'm a bit fuzzy on the demographics but I think that at least a significant minority of the Translators are American. An American self-consciously translating Chinese Units into Metric seems to me to be bending over backwards to accommodate the Metric crowd.
    {Is most of the English-Speaking World Metric? Well they Shouldn't be. They're Wrong! One shouldn't encourage their delinquency…}
     Australia and New Zealand have gone Metric but it should have been recently enough that all right thinking Dudes in both countries should still be Angry and Resisting.
    Most Change should be fought tooth and nail—just because.
    One is free to Translate however he pleases. Every time that I see Metric Units though—just have the Abiding Question "Why?"
    My rants against the Metric System are a sideline that is a topic in and of itself.
    At least I haven't noticed any "Britishisms" like omitting the "The" and saying "To Hospital" or "To University." I see that in many translations of Japanese and Korean and it sets my teeth on Edge. American English is the proper language and British English should be considered a Quaint and Fusty Dialect.
    But I thoroughly enjoy the Stories.

Saxon Violence
  • edited April 2016
    TL:DR YOU are a minority. Noone will change it because a brainwashed American thinks world should change to fit THEIR obsolete useless units.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/2008/08/13/countries-that-dont-use-the-metric-system/

I have nothing against you people using it. But writing that WE should change because THREE countries in the WHOLE world use it is just stupid. Those "America>>>>World" people make whole world make fun of whole America and HATE you with passion. And those normal, open minded, intelligent Americans suffer because of it. Some americans are just like those cliched young masters in xianxia. "YOU KNOW WHAT MY COUNTRY IS? IT'S THE MOST POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!! MY FATHER WILL KILL YOU!". Weak themselves, can only talk big because of their background they've done nothing to gain. (did nothing? idk)

If you are not lazy:

Chinese use metric as Ren said. I use metric. My mom uses metric. My friend in Russia uses metric. My friend in Spain uses metric. Metric is better. Why? Because it's universal. Why is imperial better? Find me a person who has a foot that is one foot long. See? You can't. It's an abstract concept, just like a meter. It's not better than a meter. Meters are easy to count. 1/100, 10, 1000, 10000 etc. Like in physics. Imperial? 1/12, 3, 8? WTH?

Imperial system is a system that was invented ONLY because people COULDN'T measure distance properly and had to base it on something everyone had and could see. It's old, outdated and useless now that we have... rulers? That's why we invented BETTER units. Just look at Fahrenheit and Celsius. Fahrenheit also based his scale on human body. Time passed, it's obsolete and used only in one country that just can't let go. It's used by MINORITY. It's completely useless and stupid. Human body is not a constant so using it as a base is stupid. Unless you take a particular person and make him a model. But then, foot, inch etc is just as abstract as meter is. If you always use it, then use it. I'm not hating on people who use it, they got used to it, so they should keep on using it. Telling other countries that accepted the truth, that imperial units are useless, to use imperial? It's too much. It's sheer arrogance.

"American English is the proper language and British English should be considered a Quaint and Fusty Dialect."

English language is exactly that. ENGLISH. American is a nothing more than a dialect, little lazy butchered offspring.

@RWX: If it's exactly 1/3 of meter, it's literally One Meter Sword. Of course, "Three Chi" is lost then, but Chi is not Foot, and Three Chi is One Meter. Three Foot is more "climatic" for people that consider foot obsolete, it's the primitive world where people use animal furs after all. Don't mean to call people who use imperial "primitive" there.

Uff, took 6 edits.

• Its also more work to convert from metric to imperial. 

• American English is the proper language and British English should be considered a Quaint and Fusty Dialect.

Saxon Violence

This couldn't be more ironic considering that the American system is not called Imperial. That's what the British use (in part). The American system is called US customary.

Here you are, trying to proclaim the superiority of the American system over the British system... and you don't even know which one is which. I must applaud.
  • edited April 2016
    Hiyono said:
    American English is the proper language and British English should be considered a Quaint and Fusty Dialect.

Saxon Violence

This couldn't be more ironic considering that the American system is not called Imperial. That's what the British use (in part). The American system is called US customary.

Here you are, trying to proclaim the superiority of the American system over the British system... and you don't even know which one is which. I must applaud.
    you sure? I would've sworn the system is called Imperial
    Edit: Just googled it, interesting.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • Hiyono said:
    American English is the proper language and British English should be considered a Quaint and Fusty Dialect.

Saxon Violence

you sure? I would've sworn the system is called Imperial
    Only if you're talking about the original British one as it comes from British empire units to Imperial units so pretty sure Americans call them Imperial units but official is definitely not Imperial in the US.

The system of imperial units or the imperial system (also known as British Imperial[1]) is the system of units first defined in the British Weights and Measures Act of 1824, which was later refined and reduced. The system came into official use across the British Empire. By the late 20th century, most nations of the former empire had officially adopted the metric system as their main system of measurement; however some imperial units are still used in the United Kingdom, Canada and other countries formerly part of the British Empire. The imperial system developed from what were first known as English units, as did the separate system of United States customary units.

• edited April 2016

Its also more work to convert from metric to imperial. 

lolwat.
    Edit: Oh.  I thought you meant converting metric to imperial is more work than converting imperial to metric.
  • Didn't do thorough research earlier. Soooo, basically, the country that invented the whole thing (and gave birth to US customary) uses metric now, huh? Yeah, imperial must be good if even its creators abandoned it.
  • Duniak said:
    Didn't do thorough research earlier. Soooo, basically, the country that invented the whole thing (and gave birth to US customary) uses metric now, huh? Yeah, imperial must be good if even its creators abandoned it.
    Yep that's science bro
  • Why does it matter, if you're bothered by it so much get an extension that makes the conversion for you.
  • because 
  • athlonkmf said:
    because 
    athlonkmf said:
    because 
    YES,AMERICA IS ARRODANT

• Actually to me whether it is metric or imperial doesn't matter because I am quite knowledgeable with both however it really is difficult to get around the terms such as zhang I see it quite often and I would always never bother calculating it because it's time consuming and because of that usually don't have an idea what the actual size they are mentioning is... Wouldn't it be easier instead of saying e.g 10 zhang saying roughly 30 metres or equivalent of feet in size... At least I know that Li is 0.5kg or that would be even more confusing...
  • Duniak said:
    TL:DR YOU are a minority. Noone will change it because a brainwashed American thinks world should change to fit THEIR obsolete useless units.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/2008/08/13/countries-that-dont-use-the-metric-system/

I have nothing against you people using it. But writing that WE should change because THREE countries in the WHOLE world use it is just stupid. Those "America>>>>World" people make whole world make fun of whole America and HATE you with passion. And those normal, open minded, intelligent Americans suffer because of it. Some americans are just like those cliched young masters in xianxia. "YOU KNOW WHAT MY COUNTRY IS? IT'S THE MOST POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!! MY FATHER WILL KILL YOU!". Weak themselves, can only talk big because of their background they've done nothing to gain. (did nothing? idk)

If you are not lazy:

Chinese use metric as Ren said. I use metric. My mom uses metric. My friend in Russia uses metric. My friend in Spain uses metric. Metric is better. Why? Because it's universal. Why is imperial better? Find me a person who has a foot that is one foot long. See? You can't. It's an abstract concept, just like a meter. It's not better than a meter. Meters are easy to count. 1/100, 10, 1000, 10000 etc. Like in physics. Imperial? 1/12, 3, 8? WTH?

Imperial system is a system that was invented ONLY because people COULDN'T measure distance properly and had to base it on something everyone had and could see. It's old, outdated and useless now that we have... rulers? That's why we invented BETTER units. Just look at Fahrenheit and Celsius. Fahrenheit also based his scale on human body. Time passed, it's obsolete and used only in one country that just can't let go. It's used by MINORITY. It's completely useless and stupid. Human body is not a constant so using it as a base is stupid. Unless you take a particular person and make him a model. But then, foot, inch etc is just as abstract as meter is. If you always use it, then use it. I'm not hating on people who use it, they got used to it, so they should keep on using it. Telling other countries that accepted the truth, that imperial units are useless, to use imperial? It's too much. It's sheer arrogance.

"American English is the proper language and British English should be considered a Quaint and Fusty Dialect."

English language is exactly that. ENGLISH. American is a nothing more than a dialect, little lazy butchered offspring.

Someone give this man a medal.
    This is all so true, especially the xianxia young master comparison US idiots nearly always have.
  • well...  we Chinese once used our traditional Imperial System but that's another totally different system from all other systems... are u sure u would like to understand a new one?