ISSTH sucks

I figured there should be an official thread (in addition to this one) to say that ISSTH sucks. In the future, if anyone brings up this subject, you can just link to this thread.

Main reasons I've seen mentioned:
  • Fighting sucks
  • Meng Hao runs away a lot
  • Meng Hao has no friends
  • Meng Hao has no family
  • It's confusing

Comments

• Issth sucks because the translation isn't caught up to raws yet *cracks whip*

Also waiting for audio book chapters is interminableeeeeee
  • I did see a review somewhere that said the releases are slow.... I was like... really? I thought I was pretty fast....
  • no mtl is fast you are, good enough, MEH. when you can read as fast as you translate then your kinda fast. this is the leechers'  bench mark.
  • I don't know of any others that translate 2/day, lol
  • edited December 2015
    Top 3 fastest translators, chapter wise:

1- FlowerBridgeTwo: 2.5 chapters a day (17.4 chapters a week)
    2- RWX: 2 chapters a day (CD) + at the same time help others when needed
    3- DeathBlade: 2 chapters a day

This is by chapters, if it was by words count, i'm sure the ranking could be different. And also if you input the level of difficulty, ISSTH use a lot of ancient chinese stuff so the research must be challenging.
  • Fbt has been on a mini hiatus, though. But yeah normally mga is fast.
  • edited December 2015
    At first when I saw this thread. I was like who would dare after such great chapter, "great con". Then I recalled all the threads started about this subject. It's comparable quality of thread about subject to the great Harem vs NO Harem debate. It's interesting, because it's the only series that has such an dilemma. I don't think people necessary think the series sucks, but are instead frustrated that they don't like it.  It's not like  with MGA people can't seem  to find a reason to easily  walk away (ex  I don't like or support rape, so I don't read this) . They realize there might be something there, but they don't see it or don't agree with majority.

On that note there's aren't many reasons to not enjoy this novel, but there some legitimate reasons that I could understand, but not agree. The comic relief in this series can be offensive or dark depending on your perspective of the situation. If someone doesn't like the usage of animal abuse as pun then someone might hate at lot of moments that are meant to be comic relief. A person could easily see such points to be childish or immature ( I plead guilty to enjoying this part). On another note, If you think scamming people or usage of cunning wit is morally wrong then I don't think such a person will find this series very amusing. This series really does show some of dark sides of scholars, but they such situations do exist in real life though it really isn't that bad, but maybe I have been corrupted too. On a final note on the matter of comic relief, If you take offensive or are bothered when people call others fatty or women jade like then I will help you start a culture revolution, but it's not really worth avoiding this novel for that reason. Let people be human, and enjoy the series for other reasons.

Now if you loath disorganized fighting systems ( ex. Organized fighting system: profound truths of wind, profound truths of music) then I would move on right now as coiling dragon is one of a kind it's simple organization for it. Though I would hope that some would consider staying for the diversity in fighting that is defined more on wit than over powering. Then again maybe such a person might prefer material arts over magic as such I couldn't recommend this in good conscious. So it's best to move on at this point.

So if you haven't moved on yet then a person might enjoy the introversion type of character dynamics. The characters interact with the main character at least first by his thoughts. What I mean is the main character does a lot of thinking about the characters and how they affect his life. This allows for misunderstanding and complexity and the richness of the novel to develop. This can disordinating since the usual character dynamics is done by main character thinking about himself and understanding the world by what he does. The usual type of character take actions and faces the consequences, but that not our main character in ISSTH (Ignoring the point of  the parrot's corruption).

So for that same reason a person who likes characters who jump in to or go looking for fights will not find ISSTH interesting. As sometimes it's better just to run away. I mean why take an unnecessary risk of death in order to face an impossible future, when it's just smarter to take a more efficient action that guarantees your safety. Not every fight in life is necessary one in life as some are waste of time, energy, spirit stones, while also being dangerous. So it gives us the lesson of " learn to pick your battles."

If your looking for the traditional sense of a harem than it's not here for the main character, but instead the secondary one. In fact, it might be enough just stay around and watch how the secondary character lives the life of a stereotypical Xianxia main character. On the note of romance, you might want leave if your looking for something in depth or even superficial (Slaves, True Harems)  neither really exist in this novel. Now don't misunderstand it's decently written, but it's not romance genre ( well at least I hope not) so it's not the overall focus of the novel. The potential romance partner or partners are introduced as candidates in unique though cliche ways from each other.  (Ex  Themes are the following: warms ice queens heart, Love hate relationship, Political marriage, arranged marriage, and etc).  Continuing on with this point,the current stage of the romance in the novel is like courtship or friendship with little romantic-emotional depth.  There's no action so far on the romance field, so people might want leave. While I tried to give review on romance, I do realize and admit that it is possible that I am basis as a idealistic western world female, so a person should evaluate the evidence carefully on this one paragraph.

So lets evaluate the last point that I can understand, but most definitely disagree more than the other points mentioned is the series is confusing. Though, I can agree that series can be really confusing for nonnative speakers as the vocabulary can at times not be at standard levels. In fact,  even I had to look up a word or two through series. Of course, this is a normal event to improve ones reading level. Recall way back in the beginning, we used to do it all the time. It was back in the days when everything was good not great, wonderful, terrific or transcending the heavens and beyond stars into the forge of a well made legacy. Such events improves your creative and improves the richness of your world.  On that same token words aren't always what they appear to be. Words can lie, mislead, and even cause war. So people must take care to properly digest these words, meaning understand what they are trying convey in their context ( ex. Black can mean dark skinned people, non-visible sky, a shade of something, a type of coffee, spades and club in a suit of cards, or the simply color, but also represents the corruption within human heart).

So there, now that I've played the devil's advocate for the series that I highly recommend.

P.S No family or friends makes no logical sense since he has both. ( Recall he goes back home for a chapter and Fatty who he helps all the time)

Disclaimer: There's a subsection of the series which was relatively boring before the introduction to meat jelly. It is all 4.9/5 stars afterwards.  Also it's always a matter of preferences to what makes a series enjoyable. For example, I adore series where the main character has no common sense, but many and even me sometimes find this nonsensical and ridiculous . (You should recommend me one) 
  • LoL, this thread xD Did you get a little salty DB? We all love ISSTH despite the minor flaws is has - it can't suit everyone in 100%, no novel will ever be to everyone's tastes in 100% ^.^
    If you'd like more chapters of ISSI or Tales send me a note on patreon!
  • Caladbolg said:

LoL, this thread xD Did you get a little salty DB? We all love ISSTH despite the minor flaws is has - it can't suit everyone in 100%, no novel will ever be to everyone's tastes in 100% ^.^

Unless it brainwashes us. I am starting to want to covert to a new pseudo-religion. Today might be the day I have faith in a new lord. :P
  • Tasear said:

Caladbolg said:

LoL, this thread xD Did you get a little salty DB? We all love ISSTH despite the minor flaws is has - it can't suit everyone in 100%, no novel will ever be to everyone's tastes in 100% ^.^

Unless it brainwashes us. I am starting to want to covert to a new pseudo-religion. Today might be the day I have faith in a new lord. :P
    This lord is Meat Jelly rite? If not then it's immoral!
  • Eh..Deathblade

et tu brute?
  • Top 3 fastest translators, chapter wise:

This is by chapters, if it was by words count, i'm sure the ranking could be different. And also if you input the level of difficulty, ISSTH use a lot of ancient chinese stuff so the research must be challenging.

I don't want to insult anyone and I love ISSTH even though i've been stuck in a damn mirror for too long. But I just want to say the fastest translator is definitey Not Sane who is doing PMG. He did about 230 chapters in 3 months. The novel is not as good as ISSTH, but the translator is awesome.

Also, no offense to anyone, I think ISSTH is for people who like the story of a Xianxia. Er Gen makes Meng Hao act like a real human. No real person just barges in on some wedding and tries to fight people stronger than him. The real guys are the ones that beg for their life.
    Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!

Ren used to do 3 chapters per work-day and 4 chapters per day during the weekends for quite some months :P That's 23 chapters per week :)
  • Oh boy, that's some interesting facts guys. I like that. Let the trend of fast pace translation continue (^___^)

"The chapters must flow."
    "When the chapters flow stops, all eyes will turn to WuxiaWorld. The devoted and insatiable readers themselves will be forced to deal with us."

• edited December 2015
    I just saw this and went all Lord Fifth:
    “Are you crazy? Screw your sister, bitch!”
    “Screw your granny! Screw your aunt! Screw your other granny! Screw your uncle! Screw your grandkids! Screw your sister, bitch!”

Then again everyone has their own preferences. To each his own

Then I realized it was His Eminence Deathblade that wrote it and I was like "Huh?"

Then I actually read it.

I do dislike the fighting at times but that mostly cause everyone starts spitting blood every few seconds and I'm like "Really? Why are these people not dead from constant blood loss?"
    But otherwise every thing is great. Especially when Meng Hao goes all Lord Fifth and screws people

As for release pace: Its good considering it could be bad like some others.
    Its not the best like Peerless Martial God on her slave days
    Or The Great Ruler or MGA from back in the day (they both got slow now)

But 2 a day considering the word count is pretty amazing
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people" Alice remarked
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
  • Pretty amazing? It's absolutely crazy pace, wow. People sure got spoiled by some crazyines from a few transaltors who had a lot of time on their hands durng certain peroids and were willing to use it all to translate. Hehe...
  • It's a marathon, folks, a marathon...
  • edited December 2015
    ISSTH is one of the few novels on the site that I have to read the MOMENT I see it posted. With that being said, there is only a single thing that I feel could improve the novel.

Romance. 

As Tasear pointed out, it's basically non-existent. I'm not asking or a harem like MGA or ATG, even the tiny bit of romance we got in CD would be satisfactory. But, 334 chapters and all we get is 3 somewhat romantic moments, not even a kiss... (2 with Xu Qing and sort of 1 with Chu Yuyan.) Meng Hao is getting older and has had plenty of opportunities throughout his life, I have to wonder if Er Gen is ever going to give him what he deserves... 

The fact that I still look forward to reading this even more then most of the other novels on the site speaks volumes to how well it's written. (And translated!!!)

I don't want to insult anyone and I love ISSTH even though i've been stuck in a damn mirror for too long. But I just want to say the fastest translator is definitey Not Sane who is doing PMG. He did about 230 chapters in 3 months. The novel is not as good as ISSTH, but the translator is awesome.

Also, no offense to anyone, I think ISSTH is for people who like the story of a Xianxia. Er Gen makes Meng Hao act like a real human. No real person just barges in on some wedding and tries to fight people stronger than him. The real guys are the ones that beg for their life.
    Not Sane is a she not a he... 
    And yeah Her realease speed is amazing, but as so DeathBlade, if you think about the authors styles, PMG is easier to TL than ISSTH, and whats more? NotSane TL for living so her skills/speed is at professional level, if you remember when DB started TL ISSTH, the speed wasn't what is now, I feel that he improveed a lot.
  • I've to say that I disagree.. I rather like ISSTH because of the battles and when you follow the MC's thoughts.. With that being said, it's no where near MGA or CD in quality (imo), for two reasons:
    1) I hate the constant "spid out blood".. When you spit out blood, you're seriously injured & most likely going into a coma if you continue fighting (as they are).
    2) It's suuuper boring reading about all the side characters. They're as of late taking up more place than the MC, specially with all the "omg, he is so amazing"..

I still have to say it by far surpasses the quality of the likes of TDG, which is basically like reading a telegram from my grandma.. 
  • Zero said:

Top 3 fastest translators, chapter wise:

Not Sane is a she not a he... 
    And yeah Her realease speed is amazing, but as so DeathBlade, if you think about the authors styles, PMG is easier to TL than ISSTH, and whats more? NotSane TL for living so her skills/speed is at professional level, if you remember when DB started TL ISSTH, the speed wasn't what is now, I feel that he improveed a lot.

Nope it's a guy dude. Also, you may be right, but still, it takes hard work to release 8 chapters in one day.
    Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
  • True, if you consider that it takes roughly 2 hours to translate a chapters. Add the research times required for some stuff, and it's an amazing feast to see these guys pushing 2 or more chapters per day (0_0).
  • 2h? You must be kidding me. It might take 2h when you are used to the author and there are no new terms or unclear idioms/sentences to be trnaslated. It most likely takes from 3 to 4h on average for the most experienced transaltors, for a chapter of average length.
  • 3-4h were when they started, and at that point they didn't push 2+ chapters a day. To push 2 chapters or more per day, if it still took them 3-4h hours, I don't think it would be possible to see 2 or more chapters.
  • edited December 2015
    Ren did exactly that for many months while working full-time job, though ;)
  • edited December 2015

1) I hate the constant "spid out blood".. When you spit out blood, you're seriously injured & most likely going into a coma if you continue fighting (as they are).

Spitting blood is use to show they received an internal injury. Remember that these cultivators practice internal energy, and the only way to demonstrate an internal injury, which is not visible because it's internal, is by having them cough out blood, or bad blood or black blood. You can train your body muscle, but it's hard to train your internal organs, hence the occurance of internal injuries.

And just for a side note, they need to lose 40% of their blood to die of blood loss. About going into coma, as cultivators, they have or must have reached some degree of mental strength or will or spiritual force or something, so i'm pretty sure they can hold longer than mere mortals. Anyways, when you watch war movies, you see some soldiers bleeding almost to death, but they still kept going. Is it unbelievable? And how do you explain that? It's because of the adrenaline.
  • Barely any internal injuries would result in 'coughing blood' in reality, unless your lungs or throat/stomach itself was damaged. Imho Er Gen is just being too lazy here to describe it properly in more than 1, easy way of 'coughing up blood' ~~ Well, it's still better than writing whole paragraps about how hurt one's internal organs are, heh. So i guess he chose the lesser evil :P
  • Yeah, in reality it probably wouldn't be to such extend, but other than making them cough blood, I hardly see any other way to physically demonstrate them receiving an internal injuries. Internal injuries and coughing blood is similar to sword fight receiving a cut.
  • Not really, but whatever...
  • Haha, if you don't have any more arguments, silence is the best. To respect the person you've been exchanging point of view with, and also to respect yourself.