Manga thread

*ahem*, well i figure eventually there will be a manga discussion thread so why not start one right now. Now that im on the topic, has anyone completely read through the PAIR arc in toriko? That arc is weirder than weird. I swear the author is just trying to troll the readers like medaka box but much worse
Understand basic grammar:
Your vs You're
There vs Their vs They're
Defiantly vs Definitely
Loose vs Lose
Than vs Then
To vs Too
NO 'Should/Could of'

Comments

• I haven't even read Toriko yet. Is it good? I can't help but think that manga with cooking and fighting won't end up well so I always avoid it :D
  • edited July 2015
    i think toriko is really good it is kinda like one piece in that it has the normal world and then another world that is equivalent of new world in one piece but much harsher. It is entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. I suggest you give it a try it is pretty fun but read the manga because anime censors everything. Cooking and fighting mixes well in this manga because to capture the ingredients for cooking requires one to fight it and have enough strength to get it
    Your vs You're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• I like reading Shokugeki no soma (cooking manga) Magi the kingdom of magic ( one of my favorites ) and Katekyo Hitman Reborn ( finished. Has an anime. First 20 episodes are meh..it gets better..like REALLY better)
  • Since i started reading xianxia, i found that  reading manga was a chore instead of pleasure maybe because i like the world of xianxia with all the flashy technique and everything but i kind of lost interest except for some manga like Red Storm, Noblesse, basically very op MC keukeuhahaha
  • Is anyone into darker fantasy, like Berserk or Zetman?
  • afilalios said:

Since i started reading xianxia, i found that  reading manga was a chore instead of pleasure maybe because i like the world of xianxia with all the flashy technique and everything but i kind of lost interest except for some manga like Red Storm, Noblesse, basically very op MC keukeuhahaha

i hear you. i have so many mangas on to-read list but i just cant stop reading these chinese novels. they are so much better than most mangas storywise and especially MCwise. i do read a few such as one piece and shokugeki no soma and some others but it is kind of a drag starting a new one. 

Btw one of the best mangas ever you guys should read if you haven't is One-Punch Man. Read the new one not the original one seriously this MC is the most op MC you will ever find trust me
    Your vs You're
    Defiantly vs Definitely
    Loose vs Lose
    Than vs Then
    To vs Too
    NO 'Should/Could of'

• edited July 2015
    BookWorm said:

afilalios said:

Since i started reading xianxia, i found that  reading manga was a chore instead of pleasure maybe because i like the world of xianxia with all the flashy technique and everything but i kind of lost interest except for some manga like Red Storm, Noblesse, basically very op MC keukeuhahaha

i hear you. i have so many mangas on to-read list but i just cant stop reading these chinese novels. they are so much better than most mangas storywise and especially MCwise. i do read a few such as one piece and shokugeki no soma and some others but it is kind of a drag starting a new one. 

My thoughts exactly.
    I used to read manga like crazy, but after finding out about Xianxia, it just seems so boring and slow and full of unnecessary stuff (there are exceptions).
    Not to mention manhua. Some manhua are simply blasphemy compared to the novels it's suposed to be based on (like CD).
  • I love manga, I just hate having to wait on a weekly basis to read one chapter of like 15 pages y'know? When I read my mango I like it to be already over a hundred chapters in or already finished. I need to go back and finish one punch man. Or catch up at least.
  • I love manga, I just hate having to wait on a weekly basis to read one chapter of like 15 pages y'know? When I read my mango I like it to be already over a hundred chapters in or already finished. I need to go back and finish one punch man. Or catch up at least.

Yea, that's a real drag. However, translating a manga is much harder than just translating a novel. Redraw, translate, typeset, quality check, render, and if there's color then they have to add color. It really sucks that it takes so long. I'm just happy that they're at least being translated for us to read :D
  • ITOITO
    edited July 2015
    Since i started reading xianxia... It has almost killed my manga habit.

I am only reading a few now and get really annoyed in the slow story progression in manga as compared to novels. 
  • ITO said:

I am only reading a few now and get really annoyed in the slow story progression in manga as compared to novels. 
    Couldn't agree more. I've put most of my mangas on hiatus and will read them when they have atleast 20-30 chapters released. The only exception is one piece, I love it :D
  • Yeah my weekly Luffy fix is important.

• I also like that guys before I knew about xanxia/wuxia I read manga daily and read every manga with passion  but after I read CD in wuxiaworld ,  MGA in flowerbridgetoo site ,ATG in alyschu site and know about some of xx/wx novel I lost interest in manga I just read little of them like one piece and One punch man that's all, I just want to wait for the last arc of one piece 
  • btw, there is a lot of manga based on novels like CD,BTTH and so on. Is there any novel for Great Conqueror manga?
    sorry for my bad english!
  • These are in no particular order other than as they popped into my head.  I have read at least 3 dozen more than listed, but that's too damn many to try and recall.  Some I liked, some I didn't.  Some I've read and dropped.  All the ones I could recall right off to list I'm either currently reading as they come out, or are ones that are already complete but I really liked them.

One Piece
    Bleach
    Naruto (hated the last ark)
    Noblesse
    Soul Cartel
    God of High School
    The Gamer
    Toriko
    Dou Po Cang Qiong
    Zui Wu Dao
    Fairy Tale
    Nanatsu no Taizai
    UQ Holder
    Mahou Sensei Negima
    Breaker: New waves
    Hunter X Hunter
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn
    Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken
    Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    Rave Master
    Shaman King
  • now u talk about manga..

Action Manga that I read
    - Shaman King
    - FMA brotherhood
    - Shokugeki no Soma
    - Flame of Recca
    - Kenshin (Samurai X)
    - Katekyo Hitman Reborn
    - Hajime No Ippo
    - Hunter X Hunter
    -  Histories strongest disciple Kenichi
    - Naruto
    - Bleach (droped)
    - Fairy tail (bored)
     - Nanatsu no Taizai (haven't read the new Arc)
    - Gamaran (recomended)
    - TORIKO (haven't read it again, last i read is about Toriko n co win aganist 4 moster king)
    etc
  • edited October 2015
    ITO said:

ikr, I got spoiled by having daily chapters in LN, manga is just so slow!

Personally I like historic/war/mystery manga the most but I read most genres. I'm currently reading:

tower of god,
    noblesse,
    Kingdom,
    the ravages of time,
    vinland,
    historie,
    ad astra,
    shana oh yoshitsune,
    godly bells,
    black haze,
    the new gate,
    estancia 2,
    world of law and order,
    the gate
    kokushi no shima

My faves are the ravages of time (reading), monster (finished) and 20th century boys (finished)
  • edited October 2015

Is anyone into darker fantasy, like Berserk or Zetman?

Those are some of best works that I have read. There is much to offered within the darker fantasy genre. It gives one intellectual nourishment. I like the fact that it gets you a different perspective on the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There used to be a need to check manga database sites once or thrice a day, but now I feel that we moved onto light novels. Off the top of my head, the ones that I currently enjoy are Black Haze, genjuu no seiza, RPG Hero, Dr. Duo and various light novel adaptations. Series that I haven't forgotten over time are Red River, Bloody Monday, and Wild Life (Veterinary Series)

• Since we are talking about mangas, is it just me or is there anyone else who hates Tokyo ghoul? I mean the mc just killed it for me. Kaneki ken is the most indecisive mc that i have ever seen. First he doesn't want to accept himself becoming a ghoul, now he isn't ready to accept his former self. it feels like the author is dragging it too much.

Besides that i still love rereading one outs, liar game, death note, FMA. they will be my alltime favourite 
  • Since we are talking about mangas, is it just me or is there anyone else who hates Tokyo ghoul? I mean the mc just killed it for me. Kaneki ken is the most indecisive mc that i have ever seen. First he doesn't want to accept himself becoming a ghoul, now he isn't ready to accept his former self. it feels like the author is dragging it too much.

Besides that i still love rereading one outs, liar game, death note, FMA. they will be my alltime favourite 

I think Tokyo ghoul is interesting for points that you mentioned. It's about a identity crisis for the main character. It's is that interesting concept that surely attracted most of it's reader base. It's enjoyable at least for awhile, but I did lose interest along the way. I tend to stick with cultured series(crafting, farming, blacksmith, alchemy) since I have a need to create things. Also I enjoy medical or healers series since I like to help or fix people. Well, I admit that I like broken character that give me desire to protect them. The exceptions are darker series where I feel like I gain something that I won't elsewhere. On regards to fighting series, I simply like their passion or strong ambitions towards their goals of achieving greatest.

ohh, one outs was very good, the mc was really cool.

Sorry , i love TG, i've  been following it since it started to be translated , and it really has grown on me , i think the writing is superb (although maybe the fandom exaggerates a little) , the foreshadowing is just great , the characters actually feel like human beings (even if they are not cough ghouls cough) , Kaneki as pussy (crazy) as he is (sometimes) is still one of my favorite characters ever , he's also in my list of characters who had suffered the most xD through their series (with guts in 1st place (this is a fact) , wang lin in 2nd place (xian ni) , kaneki in 3rd haha)
    That being said i still respect your opinion , if u don't like it ,then u don't like it , as easy as that , lots of people gets personal when people criticize their favorites series
    I also like One outs, DN and FMA, is liar game as good as One outs??

Sorry if my english is poor , not a native speaker.
  • edited October 2015
    Uhh...I read tons of different manga/manhwa/manhua etc.
    But can say for sure that The Breaker is amongs the best things I read, then there are great things like Berserker, Bleach, Grappler Baki, Tower of God, The Gamer, Kingdom, Noblesse.

Wanted to ask, I found 'Douluo Dalu II - Jueshui Tangmen' on mangafox, is it remake from another artist? Should I consider reading it(I've seen first one)? 
    Ahh, no, not remake ... hmm, dunno what it is 0_o
  • edited October 2015
    Ravelord said:

Uhh...I read tons of different manga/manhwa/manhua etc.

But can say for sure that The Breaker is amongs the best things I read, then there are great things like Berserker, Bleach, Grappler Baki, Tower of God, The Gamer, Kingdom, Noblesse.

Wanted to ask, I found 'Douluo Dalu II - Jueshui Tangmen' on mangafox, is it remake from another artist? Should I consider reading it(I've seen first one)? 
    Ahh, no, not remake ... hmm, dunno what it is 0_o
    Breaker was really good, especially the ending of 2nd season. Now i just hope that the mc will try to kill nine arts dragon otherwise if the author still make the mc retain his former views of trying to change his master then i will go batshit crazy and send assassins to kill the author . Coz that wud mean the death of jinni's grandpa was in vain and he was one of my favourite characters.

Sorry , i love TG, i've  been following it since it started to be translated , and it really has grown on me , i think the writing is superb (although maybe the fandom exaggerates a little) , the foreshadowing is just great , the characters actually feel like human beings (even if they are not cough ghouls cough) , Kaneki as pussy (crazy) as he is (sometimes) is still one of my favorite characters ever , he's also in my list of characters who had suffered the most xD through their series (with guts in 1st place (this is a fact) , wang lin in 2nd place (xian ni) , kaneki in 3rd haha)
    That being said i still respect your opinion , if u don't like it ,then u don't like it , as easy as that , lots of people gets personal when people criticize their favorites series

Yeah liar game is one of the best(if not the best) mangas out there. I dropped berserk after a 100 chaps coz i think the author will die before completing it. If he successfully completes it then i will read it someday.

On a completely different note, does anyone know what happened to iris zero?
  • edited October 2015
    The only manga I read right now is UQ Holder and Boku no Hero Academia.
  • I have at least 20 bookmarked now :D

no, its not as good as one outs, but it's not bad either.
  • edited January 2016

I am mostly in action/martial arts
    these are a must read

Nurarihyon No Mago
    Gantz
    Mahou Sensei Negima
    The Breaker
    The Breaker: New waves
    Red Storm
    Gamaran
    Claymore
    D.Gray-Man
    God of High School
    Hero Waltz(season 1 is only 40)
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo

and other series i like

Naruto
    One Piece
    UQ Holder
    Histories strongest disciple Kenichi(although it got too big for the Mangaka to handle in the second half)
    Fairy tail (and derived series)
    World Trigger
    Combat Continent
    One Punch Man
    Psyren
    Code Breaker
    Blood and Steel
    Freezing (and derived series)
    Area D
    Combat Continent
    Battle Through The Heavens
    Onepunch-Man
    Unbalance x Unbalance

Tokyo Ghoul
  • edited January 2016
    mkashakh said:

I am mostly in action/martial arts
    these are a must read

Nurarihyon No Mago
    Gantz
    Mahou Sensei Negima
    The Breaker
    The Breaker: New waves
    Red Storm
    Gamaran
    Claymore
    D.Gray-Man
    God of High School
    Hero Waltz(season 1 is only 40)
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo

and other series i like

Naruto
    One Piece
    UQ Holder
    Histories strongest disciple Kenichi(although it got too big for the Mangaka to handle in the second half)
    Fairy tail (and derived series)
    World Trigger
    Combat Continent
    One Punch Man
    Psyren
    Code Breaker
    Blood and Steel
    Freezing (and derived series)
    Area D
    Combat Continent
    Battle Through The Heavens
    Onepunch-Man
    Unbalance x Unbalance

Tokyo Ghoul

My favourite genre too.

I would add the following to the list:

- Hokuto no Ken

- Shura no Mon

- The Ruler of The Land <-------This manhwa has great character development 

- Yongbi

- Mujang

- Lone Wolf and Cub <---------A classic that should be on everyones list

The one manhua that best resembles xianxia is Feng Shen Ji.

The manhua that best resembles the style of One Piece is Zui Wu Dao and is pretty good.

I am glad that people have mentioned Kingdom in this thread.

• Add this to the list

Dear Boy

i just binge read all available chapters and it's awesome. Good old revenge and the MC isn't stopping halfways. those punks are ripping what they sow.