Learn mandarin to read Chinese novels.

Hello I’m taking a gap year before uni and would like to at least to some extent learn to read mandarin and carry on after as well. Which would be the easiest way to learn mandarin so maybe at some point I will be able to read off a Chinese novel site. Do I need to learn the characters or just pinyin. This will probably look stupid to someone who knows what they are talking about but thank you in advance for any help given. 
Tagged:

Comments

• airfilter said:
    Hello I’m taking a gap year before uni and would like to at least to some extent learn to read mandarin and carry on after as well. Which would be the easiest way to learn mandarin so maybe at some point I will be able to read off a Chinese novel site. Do I need to learn the characters or just pinyin. This will probably look stupid to someone who knows what they are talking about but thank you in advance for any help given. 
    Deathblade has written a really good introductory guide which you can find here:
    https://www.wuxiaworld.com/page/deathblade-learning-chinese-faq

And check if your uni offers language courses. In the UK at least, some let you study a language module as part of your degree.