[Suggestion] Wuxiaworld app?

I love reading these novels and caught up with every wuxia novel on the site. I even recommended them to my friends. The problem is that sometimes we often go to places where our Internet is not the greatest, #tmobile. So I was wondering if there will be a wuxia app where we can download the chapters.

Comments

• Yes! I second that? The most important would be to be able to download the chapters for offline reading.

Though it would surely need a lot of coding i suppose. 
    There are plenty of example in chinese app version tho.

Prey~
  • It would require a godly amount of coding considering you need to code two different apps both for IOS and Android. The easiest way is to code some automated pdf or epub generator. You can download it easily then. As far as I remember, baka-tsuki has something similar.

https://ln.m-chan.org/v3/
  • edited January 2016
    I've actually been planning to do this! Been mulling over a few ideas in my head for layout and such.

I could make it for everyone if RWX is interested. I work as a programmer (mainly ASP.NET / C# / C++ ), and I've also developed for both iOS and Android. The biggest hurdle I see is getting it to integrate with wordpress seamlessly, and would want to setup some API to avoid any nasty SQL injection when getting info from the database.

If you are up for it RWX, PM me and I think you have my email for my account, feel free to contact me there as well.
  • This question has already asked so often...

I have to agree that a WW app would be great. While the mobile site is usually great there are times when you either need special features (e.g.: an offline reader) or the ads are causing trouble (again).
    I see two possible solutions to get this working.

The first would be to extract all the necessary informations from the html code. While getting the text should be relatively easy (all stored in a div) keeping the chapters and volumes organized could turn out challenging due to the different chapternames between different WNs. And while this system should be able to automatically detect new Projects (the top-menu is a simple list with ids) it will have trouble keeping everything else synced. The first time it is used it not only would have to find the first chapter based on the project index/description but also have to loop through all the chaps and check every time if a chapter has enough content to be a full chapter before it "clicks" the "next chapter" button. (chapter indexes on the description page are often not up to date.) This process could take quite a while. (CD... :D)
    And to stay up to date the app would have to reload the last released chapter it knows of and than check if there is a newer chapter. Waaay more network consuming than simply refreshing the main page in your browser.
    This is a hacky solution that is bound to fail sooner or later and definitely nothing that should be used for a public app.
    (Aaaand it could be really server heavy if every app-user refreshes his favourite books automatically at set intervals.)

Option two would be what angerthosenear suggested, to use an api that gives us access to the database. If the posts are  sorted based on their Novels this could work really well, but I doubt that anyone has the necessary time (and permissions) to write such an api.

However, without an official statement from RWX neither of this two options can be made a reality. Just stick with the mobile version and reset your browser if some ads are causing trouble.
  • Ansraer said:

This question has already asked so often...

I have to agree that a WW app would be great. While the mobile site is usually great there are times when you either need special features (e.g.: an offline reader) or the ads are causing trouble (again).
    I see two possible solutions to get this working.

The first would be to extract all the necessary informations from the html code. While getting the text should be relatively easy (all stored in a div) keeping the chapters and volumes organized could turn out challenging due to the different chapternames between different WNs. And while this system should be able to automatically detect new Projects (the top-menu is a simple list with ids) it will have trouble keeping everything else synced. The first time it is used it not only would have to find the first chapter based on the project index/description but also have to loop through all the chaps and check every time if a chapter has enough content to be a full chapter before it "clicks" the "next chapter" button. (chapter indexes on the description page are often not up to date.) This process could take quite a while. (CD... :D)
    And to stay up to date the app would have to reload the last released chapter it knows of and than check if there is a newer chapter. Waaay more network consuming than simply refreshing the main page in your browser.
    This is a hacky solution that is bound to fail sooner or later and definitely nothing that should be used for a public app.
    (Aaaand it could be really server heavy if every app-user refreshes his favourite books automatically at set intervals.)

Option two would be what angerthosenear suggested, to use an api that gives us access to the database. If the posts are  sorted based on their Novels this could work really well, but I doubt that anyone has the necessary time (and permissions) to write such an api.

However, without an official statement from RWX neither of this two options can be made a reality. Just stick with the mobile version and reset your browser if some ads are causing trouble.
    Exactly,

The first option is just a super hacky way to get a clunky interface together, and is no way a professional way of making this form of reader application. And is very very very prone to breaking.

The second option is faster, better, easier, and safer. It does take a bit of time to setup (since it is a separate program), but very worth the time. Allows for expansion in the future. Can also have a form of bookmark / subscription / notification system for those F5 sect members.

And certainly, it is up to RWX. Plus, I would have to work with him to get the API and application together in a why he deems acceptable and in-line with the site.
  • edited January 2016
    Actually, it might even be possible without an extra plugin.
    Just googled it for a moment and it turned out that wordpress uses MySQL.
    Usually the following tables are created: 
    • wp_commentmeta
    • wp_comments
    • wp_links
    • wp_options
    • wp_postmeta
    • wp_posts
    • wp_terms
    • wp_term_relationships
    • wp_term_taxonomy
    • wp_usermeta
    • wp_users

IF nobody changed the system so that every project has an own post & postmeta table (which would be even better for us developers because we wouldn't have to write code that analyzes to which book a post belongs) we could have an extra account that can only read wp_posts and wp_postmeta.
    I am a bit rusty but "CREATE USER 'publicUser'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';" and " "GRANT SELECT ON database.wp_posts TO 'publicUser'@'%';" should do the job.

Now I was never crazy enough to try it in C and never really had a reason to do it in C#, but I know that in java i was able to build myself a small class with the most importan tools that are required to access a database in less than an hour without any extra library. Shouldn't be too different in C++.

But yeah, in the end it all still depends on RWX...

EDIT:

This should be moved to: 

"Life, the Universe, and Everything Besides!"

the official answer to app requests so far has been no, and I doubt that that will change.

If someone wants to attempt an android app he should start a new post.
    (While I do have a mac lapotop I have absolutely no idea about Xcode and never tried to use multi-os engine or libgdx to port an android project to ios. I also kinda get bored fast when it comes to layout and screen-size problems. Should someone however give it a try I would love to hear if and how it is working.)
  • Ansraer said:

Actually, it might even be possible without an extra plugin.

Just googled it for a moment and it turned out that wordpress uses MySQL.
    Usually the following tables are created: 
    • wp_commentmeta
    • wp_comments
    • wp_links
    • wp_options
    • wp_postmeta
    • wp_posts
    • wp_terms
    • wp_term_relationships
    • wp_term_taxonomy
    • wp_usermeta
    • wp_users

IF nobody changed the system so that every project has an own post & postmeta table (which would be even better for us developers because we wouldn't have to write code that analyzes to which book a post belongs) we could have an extra account that can only read wp_posts and wp_postmeta.
    I am a bit rusty but "CREATE USER 'publicUser'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';" and " "GRANT SELECT ON database.wp_posts TO 'publicUser'@'%';" should do the job.

Now I was never crazy enough to try it in C and never really had a reason to do it in C#, but I know that in java i was able to build myself a small class with the most importan tools that are required to access a database in less than an hour without any extra library. Shouldn't be too different in C++.

But yeah, in the end it all still depends on RWX...
    Yes, I know it uses MySQL, but still, you do NOT want to just run commands from a public location straight to the database, it's hard to upgrade and change things, and you are open to SQL injection - thus the need for an API.

Don't have to do anything too fancy. I work with databases (MS SQL), APIs, and web stuff daily. xD
  • edited January 2016
    Damn. Is SQL injection still a problem? Thought there were security fixes for that. (never used MySQL after I finished my last big project.)
    And does it really matter if an account that has only read permissions for a few tables sends extra commands?
    EDIT: Just googled it, apparently it is possible. Never thougth that it was this much of a problem. My fault. Ok, we do need an api.
  • Ansraer said:

Damn. Is SQL injection still a problem? Thought there were security fixes for that. (never used MySQL after I finished my last big project.)

And does it really matter if an account that has only read permissions for a few tables sends extra commands?
    EDIT: Just googled it, apparently it is possible. Never thougth that it was this much of a problem. My fault. Ok, we do need an api.
    Yeah sadly. Pretty much best to assume bad things are always possible.
  • On the to-do list, but for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is not wanting to get into a cluster of issues re copyrights with Apple/Google, fairly low on that list.  If you want it for offline reading, just download and create PDF files for self use.  This is a yes in the future, no for now.  Thanks.
  • RWX said:

On the to-do list, but for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is not wanting to get into a cluster of issues re copyrights with Apple/Google, fairly low on that list.  If you want it for offline reading, just download and create PDF files for self use.  This is a yes in the future, no for now.  Thanks.

Sure thing. Feel free to hit me up in the future when ready.
  • Hello,

I'm reopening this thread hope you guys don't mind.

I also like to have a wuxiaworld app. Refreshing the browser everytime is a drag. I would like to have an app where we could subscribe and get notified with new chapters, much like Mang Master app, MangReader app, etc.

I can probably build one both for android and ios. But, I need some sort of api endpoints wuxiaworld is using, I haven't done enough research yet, dropping in here seems like easier as you guys has been here the longest and might already have the right answers. I don't mind scraping wuxiaworld to get updates but that doesn't seem like very efficient.

I'll make the project open source so anyone can contribute.

Thanks!
  • edited August 2018
    yev said:
    Hello,

I'm reopening this thread hope you guys don't mind.

I also like to have a wuxiaworld app. Refreshing the browser everytime is a drag. I would like to have an app where we could subscribe and get notified with new chapters, much like Mang Master app, MangReader app, etc.

I can probably build one both for android and ios. But, I need some sort of api endpoints wuxiaworld is using, I haven't done enough research yet, dropping in here seems like easier as you guys has been here the longest and might already have the right answers. I don't mind scraping wuxiaworld to get updates but that doesn't seem like very efficient.

I'll make the project open source so anyone can contribute.

Thanks!
    I know little about the way wuxia world works, but it seems the staff is pretty busy was I see a lot of unanswered posts, maybe you should go by doing it by yourself at an open source project, if you are interested we can build a "crawler" in Python to fetch the site's updates to a database so you can use in the app.

Also, it seems you will obtain more success talking about this in Discord:

• I'd also join the people that awaits a wuxia world reader. I am an Android and iOS app developer and would be glad to help as much as I can. As long there a good backend with necessarily APIs and a server to send push notifications, the app itself is very very easy to build. 

We can make a cross platform app with something like Cordova. I believe a small team can make it under one month if the backend is not terrible. I hope the new site problems are over soon.
  • Hi, 
    I am no longer a coding person... (Last I did some coding was 10 years ago while I was studying) so I can't go it tech details ....
    All I want to say is... If we can have an app like webnovel one... I would love that. About the details I already said I m no expert .... Just that... The way their app works is pretty good.
  • There are a couple of wuxia websites out there and some have apps. Some apps are bad, some websites are bad, for now I have ended up here but an app would really improve my enjoyment :-)