Where is Ren?

He hasn't posted anything in over twenty days. I miss him :(

Comments

  • edited June 2018
    We all do. Let's give him time. He did enough work for our sake to get a year off without notice. Not that I do wish for anything like that.

  • He posted in his patreon someone important to him passed away.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • The novel he was working on got canned do to translation rights issues where the publisher had forgotten they had assigned those rights to a game or animation company. Therefore they would need to negotiate with the other company before they feel they could safely allow Ren to translate without risk of lawsuit. From what it sounds like they put the issue of negotiating as low priority and so the novel is in limbo until they eventually resolve it, or they finally reach out and it is just permanently barred.

    Now Ren is starting with a new novel but I'm guessing because of issues with the person passing away, and seemed like some family health issues, his ability to translate is drastically reduced. It will probably be a couple months before he posts anything on WW as he seems to prefer doing a big initial post based on what he said in the 'teaser' last time. The new project is about at 9-10 chapters done and I think he would wait until he was near 50 chapters in before making releases on WW.
  • He clearly doesn't give a fuck about WW. If you want news you MUST pay him on patreon, otherwise you're not worth his time.
  • Yeah I do think that on Patreon he shouldn't restrict news like that to only subscribers and should allow the general population to read it as well. I have no idea why he does that as I've seen other patreon people who will give such updates to the general population and not just their patreons.

    Considering his pace at updating too I think he just needs to pause patreon until he can get things in order or at the very least find someone to help him actually put out content so people aren't paying for very little.
  • Evaansan said:
    He clearly doesn't give a fuck about WW. If you want news you MUST pay him on patreon, otherwise you're not worth his time.
    I expected him to go on a break after DE. It's kinda ridiculous that you are bashing a translator who has been a huge part of creating an environment where novels are translated for free. Him getting paid is well deserved. I see now that he is only updating stuff on patreon but considering everything he has done for us, there is no reason for such hostility.
  • So wait, people are attacking Ren for not showing up for a bit after a family member died? How dare he!...said no one with a heart, ever.

    Life happens. Ren is basically one of the Godfathers of English translated web novels and is the one who created this site and community. I for one would have never really gotten into web novels if not for Ren and his great translation of Coiling Dragon. For that he will always have my appreciation and respect.

    And there are people attacking him when he hasn't posted anything while he's grieving... 

    For Ren: Take all the time you need. We'll all be here to welcome you back when/if you are ready to get back to translating and thank you for introducing so many of us to the wonder and enjoyment of web novels. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    For the haters: I get that characters like Leylin Farlier of WMW are fun to read about in fiction, but sociopaths are not role models. Have empathy and patience in situations like this. Ren has given all of us a lot and he owes us nothing. You should really do or say something nice for Ren or anyone in need of it to balance out the negative Karma you've incurred for lashing out at a grieving man who has given you nothing but digital gifts every time you read something on this site.
  • edited June 2018
    If you find nothing wrong with the owner not posting a single new post on his very own website, his own business, while doing it regularly on his patreon that's your problem. I personally find this despicable because it clearly shows he doesn't care about WW.

    I don't care if he doesn't release any chapter for a year, or if he takes time off from everything. I just want the news he put on his patreon to be readable here so everyone can know what's going on.
  • Evaansan said:
    If you find nothing wrong with the owner not posting a single new post on his very own website, his own business, while doing it regularly on his patreon that's your problem. I personally find this despicable because it clearly shows he doesn't care about WW.

    I don't care if he doesn't release any chapter for a year, or if he takes time off from everything. I just want the news he put on his patreon to be readable here so everyone can know what's going on.
    The only thing despicable is attacking someone who is dealing with the loss of a loved one. Would I like him to post something on this site to let everyone know what's going on? Sure. Do I expect it of him? No.

    He owes us nothing and we owe him a lot. Maybe your anger is coming from a place of being concerned for Ren and hurt that he has "abandoned" you personally, but you need to put yourself in his shoes. Maybe you'd take the time to tell everyone on WW and keep updating people every month or so and stay on top of your work (maybe even as a coping mechanism). Or maybe you'd be so consumed with grief you can't remember to tie your shoes when you leave home or that you forgot to eat a meal today or yesterday. People handle grief and loss differently. A little compassion, a little care, that's all I'm asking for. If you are incapable of that then this discussion is meaningless b/c I'm hoping to reach people who have proper human emotions and empathy and posted something callous without thinking about how Ren is dealing with his personal problems.
  • Evaansan said:

    The only thing despicable is attacking someone who is dealing with the loss of a loved one. Would I like him to post something on this site to let everyone know what's going on? Sure. Do I expect it of him? No.

    He owes us nothing and we owe him a lot. Maybe your anger is coming from a place of being concerned for Ren and hurt that he has "abandoned" you personally, but you need to put yourself in his shoes. Maybe you'd take the time to tell everyone on WW and keep updating people every month or so and stay on top of your work (maybe even as a coping mechanism). Or maybe you'd be so consumed with grief you can't remember to tie your shoes when you leave home or that you forgot to eat a meal today or yesterday. People handle grief and loss differently. A little compassion, a little care, that's all I'm asking for. If you are incapable of that then this discussion is meaningless b/c I'm hoping to reach people who have proper human emotions and empathy and posted something callous without thinking about how Ren is dealing with his personal problems.
    While I do offer Ren my sincere apologies and hope he pulls himself out of this, grief does not preclude him from his responsibilities. Common courtesy would dictate that you give your readers a date when you expect to return. 

    Your argument about having a "little compassion" would have some basis if this were not already afforded to him. In the real world (out there) many of us would not be offered 2 months paid leave to grieve. And though this may sound callous, it is necessary to make my point, Ren does not "create" anything. He translates. It implies a more technical and mechanical process. Persons in roles such as these are afforded even less "time off".

    An even more underhanded practice, which makes this even harder excuse is that he provides updates on his situation to his paying readers but not his free subscribers? Does this not bother you, even a little? A large proportion of his readers who share a loyalty to him and his work don't even know he lost a loved one. They simply don't hear anything, because they don't pay. Do you think it is ok to treat your readership this way? Do you excuse this behavior?

    Had Ren taken the time to type two sentences saying that he is going through a tough time in his personal life, so he will be away for a few months or will only translate a fraction of his usual, people would understand. 

    While Ren's Patreon readers have been treated courteously and have no real reason to complain, he has completely invalidated the worth of his free readers to him. In my opinion, this is upsetting/disappointing to anyone who was subject to this so they should be allowed to vent without being called "insensitive".

    Interested to hear your thoughts.

  • edited June 2018
    kalitnrun said:
    Evaansan said:

    The only thing despicable is attacking someone who is dealing with the loss of a loved one. Would I like him to post something on this site to let everyone know what's going on? Sure. Do I expect it of him? No.

    He owes us nothing and we owe him a lot. Maybe your anger is coming from a place of being concerned for Ren and hurt that he has "abandoned" you personally, but you need to put yourself in his shoes. Maybe you'd take the time to tell everyone on WW and keep updating people every month or so and stay on top of your work (maybe even as a coping mechanism). Or maybe you'd be so consumed with grief you can't remember to tie your shoes when you leave home or that you forgot to eat a meal today or yesterday. People handle grief and loss differently. A little compassion, a little care, that's all I'm asking for. If you are incapable of that then this discussion is meaningless b/c I'm hoping to reach people who have proper human emotions and empathy and posted something callous without thinking about how Ren is dealing with his personal problems.
    While I do offer Ren my sincere apologies and hope he pulls himself out of this, grief does not preclude him from his responsibilities. Common courtesy would dictate that you give your readers a date when you expect to return. 

    Your argument about having a "little compassion" would have some basis if this were not already afforded to him. In the real world (out there) many of us would not be offered 2 months paid leave to grieve. And though this may sound callous, it is necessary to make my point, Ren does not "create" anything. He translates. It implies a more technical and mechanical process. Persons in roles such as these are afforded even less "time off".

    An even more underhanded practice, which makes this even harder excuse is that he provides updates on his situation to his paying readers but not his free subscribers? Does this not bother you, even a little? A large proportion of his readers who share a loyalty to him and his work don't even know he lost a loved one. They simply don't hear anything, because they don't pay. Do you think it is ok to treat your readership this way? Do you excuse this behavior?

    Had Ren taken the time to type two sentences saying that he is going through a tough time in his personal life, so he will be away for a few months or will only translate a fraction of his usual, people would understand. 

    While Ren's Patreon readers have been treated courteously and have no real reason to complain, he has completely invalidated the worth of his free readers to him. In my opinion, this is upsetting/disappointing to anyone who was subject to this so they should be allowed to vent without being called "insensitive".

    Interested to hear your thoughts.

    I don't agree personally b/c I think people get a pass when it involves grief and the death of a loved one and we aren't always in our right minds when this happens, but it would be nice to have an update to see how he is doing.

    My only point is that no one should verbally attack Ren during this time. To feel slighted or want him to touch base on the main site is of course understandable. There are ways to do that without saying negative things about Ren.

    In the end, that's my two cents. I understand not everyone is going to feel the same way.

    All I can say is I just came here to stick up for Ren when he's going through this difficult time. If I said anything too harsh to anyone clearly angry because they care, I do apologize.

    Hope Ren gets back on his feet and everyone can feel happy when he returns to the fold.


  • The novel he was working on got canned do to translation rights issues where the publisher had forgotten they had assigned those rights to a game or animation company. Therefore they would need to negotiate with the other company before they feel they could safely allow Ren to translate without risk of lawsuit. From what it sounds like they put the issue of negotiating as low priority and so the novel is in limbo until they eventually resolve it, or they finally reach out and it is just permanently barred.

    Now Ren is starting with a new novel but I'm guessing because of issues with the person passing away, and seemed like some family health issues, his ability to translate is drastically reduced. It will probably be a couple months before he posts anything on WW as he seems to prefer doing a big initial post based on what he said in the 'teaser' last time. The new project is about at 9-10 chapters done and I think he would wait until he was near 50 chapters in before making releases on WW.
    The novel he was working on got canned do to translation rights issues where the publisher had forgotten they had assigned those rights to a game or animation company. Therefore they would need to negotiate with the other company before they feel they could safely allow Ren to translate without risk of lawsuit. From what it sounds like they put the issue of negotiating as low priority and so the novel is in limbo until they eventually resolve it, or they finally reach out and it is just permanently barred.

    Now Ren is starting with a new novel but I'm guessing because of issues with the person passing away, and seemed like some family health issues, his ability to translate is drastically reduced. It will probably be a couple months before he posts anything on WW as he seems to prefer doing a big initial post based on what he said in the 'teaser' last time. The new project is about at 9-10 chapters done and I think he would wait until he was near 50 chapters in before making releases on WW.
    What novel got canned?
  • Suran said:
    The novel he was working on got canned do to translation rights issues where the publisher had forgotten they had assigned those rights to a game or animation company. Therefore they would need to negotiate with the other company before they feel they could safely allow Ren to translate without risk of lawsuit. From what it sounds like they put the issue of negotiating as low priority and so the novel is in limbo until they eventually resolve it, or they finally reach out and it is just permanently barred.

    Now Ren is starting with a new novel but I'm guessing because of issues with the person passing away, and seemed like some family health issues, his ability to translate is drastically reduced. It will probably be a couple months before he posts anything on WW as he seems to prefer doing a big initial post based on what he said in the 'teaser' last time. The new project is about at 9-10 chapters done and I think he would wait until he was near 50 chapters in before making releases on WW.
    The novel he was working on got canned do to translation rights issues where the publisher had forgotten they had assigned those rights to a game or animation company. Therefore they would need to negotiate with the other company before they feel they could safely allow Ren to translate without risk of lawsuit. From what it sounds like they put the issue of negotiating as low priority and so the novel is in limbo until they eventually resolve it, or they finally reach out and it is just permanently barred.

    Now Ren is starting with a new novel but I'm guessing because of issues with the person passing away, and seemed like some family health issues, his ability to translate is drastically reduced. It will probably be a couple months before he posts anything on WW as he seems to prefer doing a big initial post based on what he said in the 'teaser' last time. The new project is about at 9-10 chapters done and I think he would wait until he was near 50 chapters in before making releases on WW.
    What novel got canned?
    No novel was dropped. I think they were referring to The Godsfall Chronicles, but Ren will continue it when he returns to regular updates.
  • Frankly, this thread amuses me.  The fact that I provided many readers with years of free entertainment does not somehow obligate me to report my whereabouts or on my life to anyone.  My 'job' is to run my website, Wuxiaworld; being a translator is (sadly) just a side gig, and while I take that seriously when I have a personal project on Wuxiaworld and have made promises to readers about it, that is not the case right now

    In addition, while I'm flattered to think that people are willing to pay to get news about me, I highly doubt that's the case. Many of the people who are supporting me on Patreon right now are superfans and friends who just want to be supportive and are getting very little for that support; for example, the past month I went over twenty days between posts. In turn, I'll talk with them a bit more about my life and unconfirmed plans than I would put to the general public.  Guess what?  I also talk much more to my personal friends, translators, my staff members, my family members, my girlfriend (yay!), our licensing partners, the superfan(s) who are helping us out at Comic-Con, and more.  This is the nature of life.

    To put it simply - If and when I'm personally doing a translation on Wuxiaworld, then I'll do my best to be rock steady on that translation and give explanations when I'm not.  At present, however, my one and only responsibility is to run Wuxiaworld.  So long as Wuxiaworld is operating, licenses are still being handed out, payroll is still being done, then I'm doing my job and do not 'owe' anyone an explanation.  If I do give one, be it to my family, friends, donors, translators, or others, that's my choice and my sole prerogative.
Sign In or Register to comment.