What's Up With Spoiler Chapter Titles?

I see these in so many novels, what's the deal? Why would these authors spoil the punchline of the chapter so often? Is this common in Chinese literature, or is just a web novel thing? 

It's particularly bad when the ONLY part of the chapter that has anything to do with the chapter title is in the last paragraph or two. The chapter title will be something like "Tournament of the Ages!", but literally nothing in the chapter has anything to do with this tournament, until the final line when some patriarch says "That's why we're sending you to the Tournament of the Ages!" Why would you even do that? 90% of the time it would be much more appropriate to give the chapter title to the NEXT chapter, because that's the chapter that actually deals with the reveal.

Does anybody have any insight into why this is done? I can't imagine they get many complaints about it in the original Chinese or I'd doubt so many authors would continue to do it, so I imagine this is a cultural thing I just don't understand.

Comments

• I finish a chapter and I'm super psyched for the following one, but when I see the chapter title I'm like... Oh, so that's what's gonna happen....cool... :/
  • I think they do it just to ensure people don't not wanna read. But it's counterproductive
  • I have no idea. 

The Almighty Froppy
  • edited April 2018
    Titles hinting, or even revealing, what will happen is common for all types of books, not just Chinese novels, I mean look at an English fantasy book. And imo, I think its meant to create anticipation. After reading a title you may have  a guess of what happens, but now your excited to find out HOW its going to happen. 
  • Ethris said:
    Titles hinting, or even revealing, what will happen is common for all types of books, not just Chinese novels, I mean look at an English fantasy book. And imo, I think its meant to create anticipation. After reading a title you may have  a guess of what happens, but now your excited to find out HOW its going to happen. 
    The titles are usually much more vague.  With Chinese novels, the title will be: "<Character Name> Dies" and that's it.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • edited April 2018
    Kinda hilarious to see when chapter title goes "X dies!" and then next one is "Nah, he faked it".