WMW- i almost thought IET was the author.

I just started WMW today, and immediately i noticed quite a few of the same names that appear in CD. Leylin, and beirut. Seriously what the hell lol, that seems a bit scummy to me. Am i mistake in believing that Wen Chao Gong took these names from IETs Coiling Dragon novel? i noticed the "Plagiarist" when describing him as an author.

Comments

• 1.  I think Wen Chao Gong or Plagiarist is just self-mockery.
    2.  Although Leylin(雷林) is similar to Linley(林雷), but somehow --maybe because they're transliterated into Chinese phonetically--they're just two normal names of foreigners which will not cause association for Chinese readers._(:зゝ∠)_
    3.  And considering that CD was finished in 2009 while WMW finished in 2016. For a Chinese reader, like me, there seems to be a century-long gap between them. The similarity of the names will not cause an association.

I'm sorry my English is poor but I hope I have made my opinions understood.
  • weeping said:
    1.  I think Wen Chao Gong or Plagiarist is just self-mockery.
    2.  Although Leylin(雷林) is similar to Linley(林雷), but somehow --maybe because they're transliterated into Chinese phonetically--they're just two normal names of foreigners which will not cause association for Chinese readers._(:зゝ∠)_
    3.  And considering that CD was finished in 2009 while WMW finished in 2016. For a Chinese reader, like me, there seems to be a century-long gap between them. The similarity of the names will not cause an association.

Your english isn't bad at all. Though when i mentioned Leylin, im referring to the point where linley temporarily takes the alias 'Leylin', also one of the other characters in CD takes on the name Leylin as well. Also there are a few other names like Beirut, and there is another one that starts with 'R' but i always forget the name. (in CD he plays one of Linleys main 4 friends. in WMW the name is used for a friend of the MC.)
  • weeping said:

Your english isn't bad at all. Though when i mentioned Leylin, im referring to the point where linley temporarily takes the alias 'Leylin', also one of the other characters in CD takes on the name Leylin as well. Also there are a few other names like Beirut, and there is another one that starts with 'R' but i always forget the name. (in CD he plays one of Linleys main 4 friends. in WMW the name is used for a friend of the MC.)
    Umm, I belive the R guy your looking for is called Reynolds, and is the leader of the White magus academy that Leylin goes to, cant remember the name of that right now. The Reynolds in Coiling dragon is the third brother of Linley (MC). But im not Chinese as you can tell by my username, so i dont understand any of the writing logic thing. <span>:blush:</span>
  • weeping said:

Both Linley and Leylin are characters in Coiling Dragon.  Leylin is more commonly known as Bluefire.

I just started WMW today, and immediately i noticed quite a few of the same names that appear in CD. Leylin, and beirut. Seriously what the hell lol, that seems a bit scummy to me. Am i mistake in believing that Wen Chao Gong took these names from IETs Coiling Dragon novel? i noticed the "Plagiarist" when describing him as an author.

You aren't mistaken.  As pointed out by weeping, it's a very common name so that's probably why no one cared about it.  He also had some other copied names that I can't remember right now.

Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • edited March 2018
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people" Alice remarked
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
  • Not saying they're shared universes like I did in that post, but they are definitely stolen names.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • Oh wow picking up a thread from 2016.

They're just names, guys. At most a jokey reference.