The paywall has started at Qidian

So i just went to check some novels i read at Qidian like release the witch, and guess what, you need currency to unlock chapters which costs money to buy or log in for 9 spirit stones(the currency) per day. So that means at most you can have 9 spirit stones per day and one chapter costs atleast 7 or 8 spirit stones to unlock. Or you can wait for a few days for that chapter to unlock. So meh. Paywall started the conspiracy has become reality.

Comments

• Oh boy. Exactly as everybody saw coming.

Next step: lootboxes, spend 1 of those daily stones to unlock fresh chapter of random novel.
  • and just as Shadow Hack was starting to get good bloody pricks the only options i have are to watch an advert or pay currency to continue so fuck em i have the chapter number written down and so i will wait for some other translator to get it however far along in the future that is
  • This is nothing new. Deathblade releases a set number of chapters each day publicly, but requires monthly patreon donations to read ahead. Translators deserve to be paid. If you can just wait to unlock every single chapter, then whats the big problem?
  • Ccflier said:
    This is nothing new. Deathblade releases a set number of chapters each day publicly, but requires monthly patreon donations to read ahead. Translators deserve to be paid. If you can just wait to unlock every single chapter, then whats the big problem?
    The problem is that the translators on qidian already have patreons that they get supported from.  Also, a large majority of the chapters that you read from patreon are unedited, being released as they're translated, you essentially get access to the reserve that translators have.  These chapters being blocked on qidian are fully edited chapters.
    Absolute Choice is the first novel that I've read on Wuxiaworld that I genuinely do not like.
  • edited February 2018
    Also it is a question of how much of the paywall cash goes for the translators and how much is taken by QI.
  • @Ccflier I agree with you for translating is really a very hard work, especially for Chinese wuxia and xianxia novels. I intended to translate a book that I've finished reading Chinese version 11 years ago, but I found it so hard and gave up this crazy thought immediately. I would rather wait for the high quality translation than get a defective product
    Life is like a book. Every day is a new page, every month is a new chapter, and every year is a new series.
  • QI has now pulled a bunch of the novels it was dual hosting at Gravity. Thankfully for me only one i cared for there but sucks for them
  • edited March 2018
    Pulled in what sense, removing them from Gravity Tales and hosting on QI only? I don't see any newspost on GT about it and I haven't followed any novels there to see it myself.

Edit: Oh wait there it is, I was just blind.

Hah, "to allow less popular novels to flourish", riiight.
    Though I'm not sure if it's GT taking the money and booting off the translators, or translators taking the money and moving out.
  • Yeah RXN choice has been proven to be correct
  • Adannor said:
    Pulled in what sense, removing them from Gravity Tales and hosting on QI only? I don't see any newspost on GT about it and I haven't followed any novels there to see it myself.

Edit: Oh wait there it is, I was just blind.

Hah, "to allow less popular novels to flourish", riiight.
    Though I'm not sure if it's GT taking the money and booting off the translators, or translators taking the money and moving out.

You don't seem to know that GT is owned by QI.
  • Oh yep I didn't.

So they're just consolidating assets onto one site.