Who else has enough of the non-classical isekai/tensei?

Something that start to get me on my nerves is when the hero goes in another world (isekai)/reincarnate(tensei), he think it's like novels but theya re completely wrong. What irks me is not that it's different from a simple yuusha (hero) style story. What irks me is that they always think that they are a yuusha like in a novel, WHEN 70% OF THE NOVELS DON'T HAVE A YUUSHA STYLE PROTAGONIST IN CASE OF ISEKAI/TENSEI. It's a bit like in the zombie movie were nobody knows what a zombie is, when the zombie is well known in pop culture.
I mean, seriously, in most of the novel, when a protatgonist from EARTH is in a fantasy world, he is either a monster, hyper weak, or is not the Divine Hero.

PS: I prefer using the term Yuusha, Isekai and Tensei because they are shorter than english, better representative than english and are relatively well-known.

Yuusha: hero going to save the world, acclaimed by the people. One of the best example is the heroes from Dragon Quest. No drama, powerful, ...
Tensei: Reincarnation (often used when the protagonist (from Earth) died and is reincarnate in another world)
Isekai: Another world (often used when a protagonist (from Earth) goes into another world)

Comments

• So basically, these tropes/sub-genre(s) such as "Reincarnation" and "Portal Fantasies", were typically coupled with "The Chosen One" and "The Hero's Journey." The protagonist has been chosen as if by divine intervention and or finds themselves in another world, embodying traits such as heroism and selflessness, and is tasked to journey across the realm righting wrongs, upholding justice, battling evil, and potentially saving the world.

However, you are annoyed because although pretty much every novel on this site uses the same setup, the protagonists are far more likely than not to be self centered, self serving, arrogant, petty, vindictive anti-heroes and villains, simply out to accomplish their owns goals while occasionally doing some good along the way. Am I correct in this assumption?   

If that's the case, than my opinion is yes and no. No because these are tropes and plot devices and neither are good nor bad, but simply tools to help a writer accomplish their goals. They can be modified, switched, turned upside down, inside out, coupled with this or with that and it's a good. Reading the same thing time and time again can be extremely boring and many western counterparts have become fairly generic in my opinion.

Yes because as i stated before, reading the same thing time and time again can be extremely boring. The real issue however has far less to do with the actual tropes themselves than it does with bad choices and writing practices made by the authors. That's the case in all things no matter where you are, but it's particularly pronounced (from my perspective anyways) in this sub-genre and with these authors than I initially imagined and hope to truly understand.

I personally prefer this direction. I just wish it was better executed.

• Tbaism said:

However, you are annoyed because although pretty much every novel on this site uses the same setup, the protagonists are far more likely than not to be self centered, self serving, arrogant, petty, vindictive anti-heroes and villains, simply out to accomplish their owns goals while occasionally doing some good along the way. Am I correct in this assumption?   

Not really that. What I am annoyed is that the hero comes to another world and directly assumes/thinks/monolgues he is the chosen one like in a novel. But surprise, nothing goes like he was expecting. He is reincarnate in a monster, is weak...

What I am annoyed is that the hero assumes he is a "chosen one like in a novel" in most of the "unconventional" "Portal Fantasies" story. I compare this to how in the zombie stories, the heroes never knows what a zombie is even though it's pretty much anchored in the pop culture. I find this part very annoying, the whole "Ahahahahah, it's going an awesome life in this world", then "Oh no, nothing goes like I expected *depressed*".

PS: sorry for the long delay, made a pause with wuxiaworld.

• Lol.... my problem is different but i dont care anymore, they come from earth or another world but their previously knowledge is lost or just recalled when plot device deem necessary, this irk me so much but when i read it i just dont care now.
  • Another thing irking: the oblivious protagonist. He can't understand that a girl love him (though, it's for all types of stories) or that he has an heaven defying power. It is okay to run the joke for 2-3 chapters, but after that it's just show an hero stupid as his feet and repeat the same joke again and again.