Did Wuxiaworld paid 400,000 RMB ($58,000 USD) for the 20 Qidian novels license?

There is a big discussion happening on Novelupdates Forum right now.  Google search for the thread "Here are some facts from working with Qidian (Noodletown)"

NoodleTown Translation:

1) 200 old chapters to 4000 American Kaching Kaching Qidian bought the 200 chapters the Galactic Dark Net (ik, its just an ok novel, im getting bored translating it now but dw i wont stop though, and i will negotiate with author for better ending of the novel). Anyways, they bought these 200 chapters for $4000 USD. Like why, I would honestly give it to them for free, but they said they want to thank us for our hardwork in the past. I think any translating groups can verify that Qidian even offered to pay for the old chapters to be used on their site.
2) USD$35-40 base rate pay per chapter Right now Qidian is paying me $40 per chapter. In the future, they will enable ads and share that revenue with translators and editors as well.

Ren:  

First of all, I'm happy for you that you apparently found a job that you like, even if even you yourself view your translation quality as being terrible. That being said, you should really reconsider spreading lies on behalf of Qidian. Wuxiaworld has paid very, very significant sums of money to Qidian for authorizations, and while I cannot disclose the exact amount due to NDA, I caj tell you that it is far more than ten times as much the amount you got for your old chapters.

rwxwuxiaworld

(noodletown translation did get $4,000 for his old translation, Ren commented that he said "far more than ten times" as much as the $4000 would mean Ren paid far more than $40,000 for the 20 novels.  Could it be less than $400,000?  since Ren didn't say that it is "far more than one hundred times as much the amount you got for your old chapters."

So Between $40,000 - $400,000?  according to my shitty detective work on reading between the lines)

Noodletown Translation: 

i never knew someone like u will resort to personal attacks. btw, you got 20 of qidian's best novels, each of their copyright is worth millions. u paid 400,000 rmb for all of them. woah, wat a good deal. SIGNIFICANT SUM. lol. oh btw how much do u pay ur translators? mr. professional.

Ren:

By the way, your claim that we paid 400.000 RMB is oddly specific. Is this another lie? Or did Qidian violate our NDA with them by telling their translators specific details of legally private contracts? Please tell me!

rwxwuxiaworld

Ren once again:

I'm going to keep asking you on each page. Where did you get the number 400,000 RMB from? That's an oddly specific number. Did Qidian violate the NDA terms of a private contract with Wuxiaworld in telling you, an unrelated third party? Or did you just make it up? I need an answer from you for legal reasons. Noodle?

rwxwuxiaworld

Ren once again:

I'm sending a lawyer's letter right now. Seriously.

Ren once again: 

Noodle, I really need an answer from you. From who or where did you hear that Wuxiaworld paid 400,000 RMB for copyrights? Is that a lie? If you say that you lied and made it up, I won't ask you any more. But if it's a violation of an NDA by Qidian, that's something that I need to take legal action on. Please tell me, which one is it?

Ren once again: 

Earth to Noodle, come in Noodle! I'll be asking you on every single page. Who told you that Wuxiaworld paid 400,000 RMB for copyright authorizations? Is this a lie you made up to libel Wuxiaworld, or did Qidian/Yuewen violate our NDA contract and inform you of the details? Inquiring minds need to know!

Are you a liar who is committing libel, or is Qidian in violation of its NDA and a contract-breaker?

Ren once again:

It's been 35 minutes, aka 2100 seconds, aka 2100 breaths, aka several joss candles worth of time, but you still haven't answered my question. Where did you get the 400,000 RMB number? Are you a liar committing libel (which is against the law and technically actionable), or did Qidian violate the NDA in its contract with Wuxiaworld by telling you this information? I need to know, this is actually a serious legal issue if Qidian has violated an NDA.

rwxwuxiaworld

Either Noodletown translation pulled that 400,000 RMB out of thin air or it could actually be what Wuxiaworld paid for the 20 novels.  If so, wow......if the 20 novels have 1000 chapters on average (20,000 chapters in total), $58,000 for 20,000 chapters is like paying $2.9 per chapter.

I'm surprised that Ren didn't just say "You are lying and you know it.  You pulled that number straight out of your ass" but keep repeating about NDA violation.  That would make some people suspicious.

Anyway, if Wuxiaworld end up paying just $58,000 for the 20 Qidian novels, then it's a big bargain.

But I am more inclined to believe that Noodletown Translation pulled that 400,000 RMB number out of his ass.  Though I could be wrong.  

Comments

• [quote]I'm surprised that Ren didn't just say "You are lying and you know it.  You pulled that number straight out of your ass" but keep repeating about NDA violation.  That would make some people suspicious. [/quote]

if ren made any statements as you said that would be his side of the breach of NDA hence when they would go to court, he would be on the losing side for breaching the contract agreement.
  • Maybe it was really, really close to the original sum so that's why Ren was saying that. Also it seems quite suspicious that he said he put one more zero accidentally, when he clearly put comma there.
  • I knew it.  It looks like Noodletown Translation pulled that 400,000 RMB out of thin air or his guess based on Ren's reply of "far more than ten times" the $4000 Noodletown got the old chapters.

Noodletown's Reply

5) correction: the email was from Gravity. not Wuxiaworld. And no i didnt insist on it for so long Vicious. but my point is, i dont think wuxiaworld would take any risk (in terms of monetary investment) to support translator as much as qidian did. even for the old chapters
    6) Qidian has been nice to me. put urself in my shoes. Started translating, didnt go with any big groups, ad-rev went down so i couldnt make minimum wage but still insisted to continue translating cuz it felt like my responsibility for starting a novel. Now QIdian came along and hired me, gave me flexible quota. What bad can i say bout them? 
    7) RWXWUXIAWORLD: IM SORRY I LIED BOUT U INVITING ME. All u big sites r the same too me, so i just remembered someone inviting me and forgot to scroll through all the emails to confirm. Thanks for attacking me personally on the bad quality, and getting so fixed on the fact that i lied rather than telling everyone what you r paying your translators besides ad-revenue (risk free for u) Btw, so what did you pay for the authorization to translate these books? more or less than 400,000 rmb? It could be my guess based on your claim of how much the books should've costed. Did i guess correctly? is that why you are getting so hyped up over the NDA cuz u dont want to get embarassed by how little u paid for the copyright of these million-rmb worth novels? 

• ohh yeah he switched the currency as well.

• Ren wrote this in the Noodletown's Reply:

Now the real question is, where do you magically come up with the number 400,000 RMB? Please be advised that if this goes to court, I -will- subpoena all contact between you and Qidian International in order to prove that QI violated our NDA... unless, of course you completely made up that figure.

You ask me what I paid for the authorization? Guess what? I can't tell you. It's under NDA. I respect that, unlike others.

-----------------------------

It's under NDA.  I respect that, unlike others.  Does this mean Qidian broke the NDA and the actual figure is truly 400,000 RMB?  If so, wow, that's like $2.9 per chapter.  (assuming the 20 novels have 1000 chapters on average for a total of 20,000 chapters).  $58,000 / 20,000 chapters = $2.9 per chapter
  • gamesmaniac posted:

He said that it was a guess.

Ren replied: 

Honestly, do you believe that?

• and the guy answered that he doesn't believe that it was only a guess.
  • edited May 2017
    TrussiaLink wrote:

I personally disagree that the contract (that i saw here on NUF anyways) is a "soul selling contract" or "slave labour". my dads a lawyer, adn when i showed it to him, he said it's a pretty typical business contract. Now, what that means for our community is another thing, and whether or not somebody was able to get by on donations alone is also another thing. All I know is that I don't think the contract is as big a deal as it's been made out to me.
  • Rimge said:
    and the guy answered that he doesn't believe that it was only a guess.

So Ren doesn't believe that it was a guess.

So it's actually true?
  • Ren wrote:

Believe it or not, I'm not being defensive. We will be in an actual LAWSUIT against Qidian, a company which is worth nearly a billion dollars, and I need every scrap of evidence that I can find to prove how horribly they acted and how they violated our agreements. Now, they apparently broke NDA with a translator, then sent him out to tell EVERYONE on NUF what might be privileged details between private contracts between Wuxiaworld and Qidian. If you think I'm going to let up until we get the truth, you are crazy. It's hard enough proving a billion-dollar company is lying!

So I guess Ren just confirmed that 400,000 RMB figure by saying Qidian broke the NDA with a translator
  • Ren didn't say anything about whether it's true or false. There are too many facts involved with that sum.

1)Currency was changed.
    2)Sum was changed.
    3)Comma displaced.
    How can there be so many mistakes in one answer, it's too unbelievable. then he also said. 
    4)"u paid 400,000 rmb for all of them." which did not sound like guessing at all. Who guesses by formulating such sentence. He obviously, "STATED" not guessed. 
    5) when someone guesses something one uses words such as, "Like, around, somewhere, around that much etc etc."
  • MikeR said:
    Ren wrote:

Believe it or not, I'm not being defensive. We will be in an actual LAWSUIT against Qidian, a company which is worth nearly a billion dollars, and I need every scrap of evidence that I can find to prove how horribly they acted and how they violated our agreements. Now, they apparently broke NDA with a translator, then sent him out to tell EVERYONE on NUF what might be privileged details between private contracts between Wuxiaworld and Qidian. If you think I'm going to let up until we get the truth, you are crazy. It's hard enough proving a billion-dollar company is lying!

So I guess Ren just confirmed that 400,000 RMB figure by saying Qidian broke the NDA with a translator
    he said, "might be"

• edited May 2017
    toticky said: 

I'm pretty sure he got the 400k number from in one of your posts in the other thread you said "I caj tell you that it is far more than ten times as much the amount you got for your old chapters." and he just ran with that

rwxwuxiaworld replied to the above quote:

Really? He said he got paid $4000, I said I paid far more than ten times that amount (which is $40,000), and he then converted it to RMB, then rounded it up to 400,000 RMB? He even switched the currency? Doesn't that sound odd to you?

--------------------

It is very likely that the 400,000 RMB figure is true otherwise Ren would just say that he lied big time instead of implying that Qidian broke the NDA.  Just my personal opinion.  
  • If it's true, WOW, is this biggest bargain for web novel ever?

$58,000 / 20 novels = $2900 for each novel

And these are some of Qidian most popular novels too like I Shall Seal the Heavens, Desolate Era, A Will Eternal, Coiling Dragon, Perfect World, Heavenly Jewel Change, Renegade Immortal, Battle Through the Heavens etc..

If true, no wonder Qidian want more money to license True Martial World, Martial World, I'm Really A Superstar etc....And negotiation broke down 1-2 weeks ago since the two sides can't come to terms.  
  • Not really I knew someone translating novels for 2000$ each novel.
  • Rimge said:
    Not really I knew someone translating novels for 2000$ each novel.
    It's not translating though.  It's a license for a novel that have 1200+ chapters.  And some of the most popular Qidian novels to boot.  

1200+ chapters is enough to make 30+ books if each book is about 40 chapters.

For example, I Shall Seal the Heaven can easily have 40 ebooks sold on Amazon.  

Basically, if the $58,000 is true, that is like paying about $2.9 per chapter.

People have been saying Qidian isn't paying translators enough.  And Qidian is paying translators $35-40 per chapter.  

If True, Wuxiaworld is paying $2.9 per chapter for the 20 novels.  Which would be WOW.  WOW.  WOW.  (if true).

• MikeR said:
    Rimge said:
    Not really I knew someone translating novels for 2000$ each novel.
    It's not translating though.  It's a license for a novel that have 1200+ chapters.  And some of the most popular Qidian novels to boot.  

1200+ chapters is enough to make 30+ books if each book is about 40 chapters.

For example, I Shall Seal the Heaven can easily have 40 ebooks sold on Amazon.  

Basically, if the $58,000 is true, that is like paying about $2.9 per chapter.

People have been saying Qidian isn't paying translators enough.  And Qidian is paying translators $35-40 per chapter.  

If True, Wuxiaworld is paying $2.9 per chapter for the 20 novels.  Which would be WOW.  WOW.  WOW.  (if true).

Even if that's the case, that's how much WW is paying Qidian, not the translators.

I'll be real, QI's probably paying low-end translators better than they'd get from donations, it's just that the contracts are incredibly sketch. But I seriously doubt WW-level translators are getting less $ that.

idk, this whole situation is depressing as hell. We could have had it all, with QI effectively putting a lower bound on translator income.
  • There is no fixed lower bound on translator income since Qidian allow translators to earn money from Patreon

Translators get paid $35-40 per chapter + Patreon money.

Readers who want to support the translators can always donate on Patreon.

• Really dude i dont even care if he paid even less is a contract both parties agree with it doesn't matter how much you bitch about it later it was agree doesn't matter if you sell gold to me now at 1 dollar a pound that later when i get rich because of stocks doesn't makes you right this is why contract exist...

anyway i'm against this because of crunchyroll in my country it was all good translators could go there with their project get their ad etc exactly like qidian is doing but because it was paid and many people doesn't want to pay to just follow one of two animes(my case) the boom of anime in 2012 in my country just dissapears and more than half of the translators have lost their 'income' and stopped translating crunchyroll did what every company do since it was a paid job he cut the low animes and paid less making more than half of the translators look elsewhere or piracy it in their own site while the boom of anime because of it just lost... now is exactly like was before people know it but dont hate or like they just know and the boom of anime was lost with all the money they could have gathered of course they still gain money otherwise they would stop translating all together to us but this is less than the money they could have own....

i can see it in the translators side but this is just dumb for then too... what if qidian own and paywall this and lets put a little amount of 30% people who pay stop all together paying if we're talking about 1k would be 300$ the money they would be expecting to come would not come in full and where do you think they would fix it? increase the $ to see the novels or cut the novels who arent getting good revenue? this is way more complex and while qidian could work out somehow because of crunchyroll i do not like this type of business... crunchyroll even used some piracy translation on their website for some animes here in my country because they doesn't want to pay someone to do it.... what the guy could do? nothing if he charge then he would lose because why the fuck he is sharing a copyright content? even as exclusive content like crunchyroll have here so they just stay silent and both of then win with this....
  • Really dude i dont even care if he paid even less is a contract both parties agree with it doesn't matter how much you bitch about it later it was agree doesn't matter if you sell gold to me now at 1 dollar a pound that later when i get rich because of stocks doesn't makes you right this is why contract exist...

anyway i'm against this because of crunchyroll in my country it was all good translators could go there with their project get their ad etc exactly like qidian is doing but because it was paid and many people doesn't want to pay to just follow one of two animes(my case) the boom of anime in 2012 in my country just dissapears and more than half of the translators have lost their 'income' and stopped translating crunchyroll did what every company do since it was a paid job he cut the low animes and paid less making more than half of the translators look elsewhere or piracy it in their own site while the boom of anime because of it just lost... now is exactly like was before people know it but dont hate or like they just know and the boom of anime was lost with all the money they could have gathered of course they still gain money otherwise they would stop translating all together to us but this is less than the money they could have own....

i can see it in the translators side but this is just dumb for then too... what if qidian own and paywall this and lets put a little amount of 30% people who pay stop all together paying if we're talking about 1k would be 300$ the money they would be expecting to come would not come in full and where do you think they would fix it? increase the $ to see the novels or cut the novels who arent getting good revenue? this is way more complex and while qidian could work out somehow because of crunchyroll i do not like this type of business... crunchyroll even used some piracy translation on their website for some animes here in my country because they doesn't want to pay someone to do it.... what the guy could do? nothing if he charge then he would lose because why the fuck he is sharing a copyright content? even as exclusive content like crunchyroll have here so they just stay silent and both of then win with this....
    What Burningman just said is the future if we let Qidian come in with that bs, a future none of us want!
    "If Qidian is a God slay God! If Qidian is a Buddha, slay Buddha!"

I'm just saying that Wuxiaworld got a really good deal. 

• Ren didn't even say that it's 400,000RMB stop making assumptions.
  • Rimge said:
    Ren didn't even say that it's 400,000RMB stop making assumptions.
    Ren did say this:  I caj tell you that it is far more than ten times as much the amount you got for your old chapters. 

Which mean it is far more than $40,000.  

• LOL I knew it.  Noodletown Translation pulled it out of thin air (or his guess based on Ren's reply that it is "far more than 10 times" the $4000 he got for the older chapters.  

http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/noodletowns-reply.37876/

5) correction: the email was from Gravity. not Wuxiaworld. And no i didnt insist on it for so long Vicious. but my point is, i dont think wuxiaworld would take any risk (in terms of monetary investment) to support translator as much as qidian did. even for the old chapters

6) Qidian has been nice to me. put urself in my shoes. Started translating, didnt go with any big groups, ad-rev went down so i couldnt make minimum wage but still insisted to continue translating cuz it felt like my responsibility for starting a novel. Now QIdian came along and hired me, gave me flexible quota. What bad can i say bout them? 

7) RWXWUXIAWORLD: IM SORRY I LIED BOUT U INVITING ME. All u big sites r the same too me, so i just remembered someone inviting me and forgot to scroll through all the emails to confirm. Thanks for attacking me personally on the bad quality, and getting so fixed on the fact that i lied rather than telling everyone what you r paying your translators besides ad-revenue (risk free for u) Btw, so what did you pay for the authorization to translate these books? more or less than 400,000 rmb? It could be my guess based on your claim of how much the books should've costed. Did i guess correctly? is that why you are getting so hyped up over the NDA cuz u dont want to get embarassed by how little u paid for the copyright of these million-rmb worth novels? 
  • LOL I knew it.  Noodletown Translation pulled it out of thin air (or his guess based on Ren's reply that it is "far more than 10 times" the $4000 he got for the older chapters.  

http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/noodletowns-reply.37876/

• did a Moderator went into my account and pose as me and post the TWO ABOVE ?

because I didn't post them....