WTF is this sizes in novels??

So why is there so much senseless sizes in novels? why chinese authors like to oversize everything too much? for example : "The huge eye that was tens of thousands of miles wide" From True Martial World, WTF is this size> Earth diameter is like 12 800 KM, WTF is this size? how people can even see it? I am super annoyed by this tooo much sizes :D

Comments

• I am not the only one thinking about it then lol.
    Or the way some fights are described xD like : Super mega 200000 mile big whatever fighting against human sized enemy and getting obliterated in like an instant. It does not matter that the speed of light is like 186000 miles per second. Attack is faster than light cause it is so op. And the energy output of it would prob be enough to obliterate more than half of our solar system but well so be it cause again attack is op and does just kill some trees with a shock wave after finishing of enemy.

Desolate Era does kinda solve this better than most other stories cause Fiendgods may be huge but are as hard to kill cause big body = fuckton of energy and it is kinda harder to cut 10000 meters of steel than 1 cm lol.
  • edited June 2016
    Actually, something that is 1 one light year long moving won't be breaking speed of light, but that's not the point here... xD Anyway, yeah, Chinese authors tend to be Really poor with numbers, lol.
    If you'd like more chapters of ISSI or Tales send me a note on patreon!
  • blame IET 
  • Just a quick word: earth is a rather small planet, you know? It's plausible to create worlds tens of times bigger if not more
  • The thing is when you have people that are so OP that they can move insanely fast the distance has to be large or it literally take them 5s to circle earth. Also this give them wide area to work with, allowing for large wild area for people to farm in and also create isolation between area and allow the power level of people around the MC be determined by location.
  • A regular livable planet in these story probably well tens of times larger than our Sun. Can't have the main MC fly off to another planet that fast can we?
    Just imagine the gravity that's on some of these planets... even mortals in these story can have the strength of gods if they came to Earth...
  • Meh, eventually everything becomes conceptual nonsense and above that is world creation.  I mean if you're the universe creator, something the size of a planet is pretty much nothing.  It's like Dragon Ball Z, where by the end of the first arc you got people who can blow up planets and by the end of the series, they're at least a million times stronger but still manage to fight seriously without breaking the planet for some reason.  It's ridiculous.
  • I mean how can man see something that is like 3-4 earth size from distance of 1 km ? 
  • It's just the bad habit of Xianxia/Wuxia authors over exaggerating things in order to make them seem more profound/impressive/incomprehensibly powerful. So far, Terror Infinity is the only one that has managed to stay away from that kind of stuff. 
  • Everything is possible with fiction
  • Yeah It bugged me a little bit but I can understand because of the universe, power levels etc... I could rationalize it to continue the suspension of disbelief. Then I started reading Desolate Era and it straight up pissed me off. Now I just skip past and ignore whatever bologna number IET throws out there (maybe compensating for something?...) or if I'm generous divide everything by 10,000. To give an example the world is split into 3600 comanderies. At one point the MC travels 2 million KM to another point in this commanderie. So lets be generous here and estimate that the size of the commanderie is 4 million KM long and that the sizes are roughly the same the world over (generous considering the Wuxia trope dictates the starting zone is a tiny back woods and the next place is a million times bigger). With 3600 of these regions that makes a world that's 60x60 commanderies large. Discounting seas and oceans that means the circumference of this planet is no less than 240 million KM. To put that into perspective, that very conservative estimate, is approximately 1/4th the size of the largest known star in the universe. Unless it's made of pixie dust and unicorn farts the mass of the planet would have well over the mass required to form a black whole much less begin nuclear fusion. Forget cultivation and magic treasures, the real fantasy is how EIT's universe holds its self together. 
  • Well, known largest planets and stars by NASA are over billions kilometers, so sizes like shown on chinese novels are not crazy unrealistic. :smiley: 
  • edited March 2017
    Well, known largest planets and stars by NASA are over billions kilometers, so sizes like shown on chinese novels are not crazy unrealistic. smiley 
    stars maybe yes but for sure not planets. The largest planet discovered is 2,5x the size of Jupiter (~~200,000 km radius). The biggest star is 1~~ billion km radius. So planets in xianxia are too big thats for sure but universe is much smaller that the one we live in. Like "super smaller". 
  • Aliuss said:
    Well, known largest planets and stars by NASA are over billions kilometers, so sizes like shown on chinese novels are not crazy unrealistic. smiley 
    stars maybe yes but for sure not planets. The largest planet discovered is 2,5x the size of Jupiter (~~200,000 km radius). The biggest star is 1~~ billion km radius. So planets in xianxia are too big thats for sure but universe is much smaller that the one we live in. Like "super smaller". 
    Not only that but it's theoretically impossible to get a rocky planet the size of Jupiter+. Based on common estimates it would be very unlikely to discover one much more than 2x the radius of earth. The largest rocky planet every discovered is 2.35 (29,000Km). Anything larger than that are gas giants; as far as we have every discovered. 
  • Aliuss said:
    Not only that but it's theoretically impossible to get a rocky planet the size of Jupiter+. Based on common estimates it would be very unlikely to discover one much more than 2x the radius of earth. The largest rocky planet every discovered is 2.35 (29,000Km). Anything larger than that are gas giants; as far as we have every discovered. 
    How is that impossible? the universe is vast and endless it's just that our current technology is still not enough to discover them. peace :smiley: 
  • edited March 2017
    From what I understand, it's a chinese idiom (kinda like they'd ask "wtf is with Americans and it raining cats and dogs there...is that a thing?!). They refer to huge amounts as "tens of thousands." It's not to be taken literally, it just doesn't translate cleanly when you put it in english.

Source: http://www.davidpetersson.com/chinese-idioms/
    (look for "chéng qiān shàng wà")
  • edited March 2017
    Most novels just have big ass measurements so it's not too bad, the magus era annoyed me so bad when I was reading it with the way it was so unrealistic and inconsistent.. it's like someone could jump 400km but it took them 4 hours to run 200km when they were stronger..
  • totally agree, sometime some sizes are absolutely insane, unnecessarily huge....
  • edited March 2017
    That is what makes Chinese novels more impressive and majestic, just saying :P  
  • i dont mind that insane numbers but please make it somehow logic. Just like xaryte said, dont make him fight at the speed of sound or smth but travel 100x slower.