Looking for something else to read to wait

Hey guys,

So I'm new to LN/WN reads, I just finished ATG, I already read Long Live Summons before.

I'm looking for something alike to start reading.
Anyone got any good recommendations?

I've seen a lot about Desolate Era, Martial God Asura etc, but I also read some bad points on MGA so I'd like some advice ^^
Thank you

Comments

• Try Heavenly Jewel Change, Battle Through The Heaven, Tales of Demon And Gods, Otherworldly Evil Monarch, Transcending the Nine Heavens, Release That Witch.
    They arent as brain dead like MGA and the likes, but they have the same premise of "BAMF MC started of as trash but rises in power quick and OP and gets the chicks" so its basically the same type as ATG
  • Thanks, I'll take a look at those then
  • edited January 27
    I've just started reading 108 Maidens of Destiny, reached chapter 80. Seems better than Most CN's till now.

If you've not read Coiling Dragon go read that. No stupid sect masters sons, tournaments, illogical enemies etc. People in novel behave far more logically than most. the first half of the novel is really good. Avoid MGA at all cost. 80% of the novel is filler. And it follows the typical MC enter AREA-> offend young sect master-> train-> beat sect-> enter new area. This cycle has repeated more than 15 times in MGA already.
  • Suryansh said:
    I've just started reading 108 Maidens of Destiny, reached chapter 80. Seems better than Most CN's till now.

If you've not read Coiling Dragon go read that. No stupid sect masters sons, tournaments, illogical enemies etc. People in novel behave far more logically than most. the first half of the novel is really good. Avoid MGA at all cost. 80% of the novel is filler. And it follows the typical MC enter AREA-> offend young sect master-> train-> beat sect-> enter new area. This cycle has repeated more than 15 times in MGA already.
    Thanks I'll check Coiling Dragon then ^^
  • edited January 27
    Also another tip, My prefernce is always to read only completed novels. These authors are awfully fond of cliffhangers. for eg i found ATG chaps were YC is "dead" and running from the eternal cockroach incredibly frustrating to read.
  • Suryansh said:
    Also another tip, My prefernce is always to read only completed novels. These authors are awfully fond of cliffhangers. for eg i found ATG chaps were YC is "dead" and running from the eternal cockroach incredibly frustrating to read.

I seriously agree, I usually take my time reading peacefully but on several arcs I actually speed read because I was annoyed by the "he's dead" thing.

Like Cang Yue wanted to die several times, she almost committed suicide when she was betrothed to that burning clan boy, then she almost died during the war and was ready for it.
    Xue'er also said that if he didn't come out from the udumbara flower zone, she would stay there and wait for him.

It's hard to read those chapters.

So I kinda understand, it's not a bad idea too.

I would like to have the next 1000 chapters for ATG but it will take 3 more years for them and I can't wait for them without reading them ^^
    I finished catching up 3 days ago so I'm still in the middle of the "I miss reading it" period
  • Martial World, then True Martial World, A Thought Through Eternity (A Will Eternal) ,I Shall Seal the Heavens,Renegade Immortal , Ancient Strengthening Technique, World Defying Dan God, Lord of All Realms, Long Live Summons, Warlock of the Magus World, Ancient Godly Monarch. Many of them harem, if you like you can read gl B)
  • Damn dat's gonna take me a year to read through all that... not a bad idea though, would let me stack a lot of ATG xD
  • To add to the already listed you can try Mars's other works: Shura's Wrath, Evil Dragon Against the Heaven, Heavenly star. And since BTTH was already mentioned then I'll add Wu Dong Qian Kun. Oh, and Emperor's Domination, can't forget that one. Though if you do read it be prepared for a rather sizeable amount of repetition and filler later on.
  • edited January 28
    So many xianxia novels have almost the exact same plot, I can't even remember the title or the plot after I read it. Here are the ones I thought were actually memerable:
    • Transcending the Nine Heavens
    • Heavenly Jewel Change
    • Way of Choices
    • Tales of Demons and Gods
    • Charm of Soul Pets
    The option is always open to re-read ATG. LOL. Also, avoid Martial God Asura at all costs, it will kill your brain cells.

• To add to the already listed you can try Mars's other works: Shura's Wrath, Evil Dragon Against the Heaven, Heavenly star. And since BTTH was already mentioned then I'll add Wu Dong Qian Kun. Oh, and Emperor's Domination, can't forget that one. Though if you do read it be prepared for a rather sizeable amount of repetition and filler later on.

I could go for the older Mars' LN, I'm getting quite the list to read =)

Bluekirby said:
    So many xianxia novels have almost the exact same plot, I can't even remember the title or the plot after I read it. Here are the ones I thought were actually memerable:
    • Transcending the Nine Heavens
    • Heavenly Jewel Change
    • Way of Choices
    • Tales of Demons and Gods
    • Charm of Soul Pets
    The option is always open to re-read ATG. LOL. Also, avoid Martial God Asura at all costs, it will kill your brain cells.

I can't re-read it, I hate re-reading something from scratch, I can go look for some specific info but re-reading everything is not that interesting to me.

I started Heavely Jewel Change but I really don't like the MC's character, he's a bastard... He just raped a girl and he teases her and bitches about it like.... GRRRR I really hate this kind of act.
    I don't even want to continue this, this MC is too horrible, he doesn't feel that guilty, and that poor girl is a pure jewel seeing how she reacts to it, and he still wants to take advantage of the situation and doesn't take responsibility or really apologizes while really meaning it.
  • HJC gets abit better later on...but its not that much better, try Tales of Demon and God next...pretty good.
  • I'd recommend douluo dalu same author as heavenly jewel change but i think  its much better than hjc. i would aslo say tales of demons and god really good plot however the author only release 1 chapter a month for some reason, also the Btth and wu dong qian kun as well as the great ruler which includes both mc and their families from btth and wu dong qian kun
  • AkaiRyuu said:
    HJC gets abit better later on...but its not that much better, try Tales of Demon and God next...pretty good.

I read the manga so if I read it, I'll be later on, for now I'd like not to double read something

fugi123 said:
    I'd recommend douluo dalu same author as heavenly jewel change but i think  its much better than hjc. i would aslo say tales of demons and god really good plot however the author only release 1 chapter a month for some reason, also the Btth and wu dong qian kun as well as the great ruler which includes both mc and their families from btth and wu dong qian kun

Same as above, already read it as far as possible in the manga

I'll give Release that Witch a go for now ^^
  • Tales of Demons and Gods is a novel i don't recommend anyone reading. Unless you want to catch up and wait every month just for an update. 
  • Tales of Demons and Gods is a novel i don't recommend anyone reading. Unless you want to catch up and wait every month just for an update. 
    Tales of Demons shit +++, why? Because author idiot, and people who read ongoing know about this. ^_^
  • I'm reading the manga, I also checked the novel because I was interested but when I saw the release rate and found out that the author half dropped it to work on another project I immediately decided to not read it
  • What about God of slaughter ?? Is it good ??
  • ozro said:
    What about God of slaughter ?? Is it good ??
    A bit better than average I would say.
    Frinix said:
    Hey guys,

So I'm new to LN/WN reads, I just finished ATG, I already read Long Live Summons before.

I'm looking for something alike to start reading.
    Anyone got any good recommendations?

I've seen a lot about Desolate Era, Martial God Asura etc, but I also read some bad points on MGA so I'd like some advice ^^
    Thank you

Since you are new I will give you a brief introduction to LNs/WNs overall. I remember when I started, this information would have helped me greatly.

First LNs/WNs can be split into 3 groups based on source:
    1. Japanese LNs/WNs. Most of WNs is absolute garbage. To summarize plot of 90%+ of all WNs is dumb guy died and reincarnated/or was transferred to game-like world. They are simply bad. I know you didn't ask for this, but from my personal experience there are times when you want to read something new, different, because Chinese novels gets very repetitive over time. Due to this, I will recommend a few Japanese novels if you wanted to read something different for a change: Hakomari, The Lazy King, Rokka no Yuusha, Oregairu, Rakuin no Monshou or Fate/Zero.
    2. Korean novels - most of them are about dungeons in modern world or gaming. Overall quality is much better than Japanese stories. Though most stories I recommend do not belong to this dungeons group. A few examples: Dungeon's Defense, Everyone Else if Returnee or Breakers.
    3. Chinese cultivation novels. Most people here have already recommended a lot and you have experience with them already. Just a few of my thoughts: 1st - might people will recommend such stuff as Emperor's Domination, Sovereign of 9 Realms or MGA. Don't bother with them. Also I suggest to ignore Tales of Demons and Gods. I feel sorry for everyone still reading it. They are ether pure fillers or repetitive to much (even for cliche) or even author himself no longer cares about it. Most novels have 2k+ chapters are are not even close to being completed. The best choice would be Warlock of the Magus World or I Shall Seal the Heaven. From the completed group, Stellar Transformation and Coiling Dragon are decent choices for a beginner. From incomplete group - Great Demon King, Transcending the Nine Heavens and Otherworldly Evil Monarch are good suggestions. 
  • Thanks for the info, right now I'm in a bit of a bind, I decided to start "108 Maidens of Destiny" but I finished reading the translated material, it is finished and completely out but the remaining 500+ chapters are only available on LNMTL.

I've been trying to read them there but it's really hard.
    When I saw that it's being released at 1 chapter / 3 days I actually felt bad, it would take over 4 years to finish translating it.

Quick question, after about 30 chapters on LNMTL I still have trouble reading it, so far there has been 2 chapters where I really felt lost and actually missed a few things in the "translation", does it get easier?

I'm currently wondering if I should finish reading it before starting another read or simply just go for something else.

I'm also reading Shadow Hack currently but the rate of release is very fast so I don't mind at all waiting patiently for these.

I really feel like in the future I will watch for the rate of release as the first major deciding factor for me.
    I know it must be a huge workload to release chapters.

I may go for already completed series with full translation.

Thank you for all the recommendations
  • @Frinix
    LNMTL is downright terrible for some novels and passable for other novels. Its hit or miss, I don't really know if they any special algorithm or if they are just stealing Google translate. Reading LNMTL is a lot better for ATG when you just have to struggle through 1 or 2 chapters per day, trying to read hundreds or even thousands of chapters in LNTML is pointless imo, better just spend the time reading another novel or learn Chinese :D.

@Sparteh
    TDG sucks because the author doesn't update, the story starts out great and only goes downhill a bit around chapter 350, but it is still miles better than actual xianxia garbage like Martial God Asura.

On the other hand, I find novels by I Eat Tomatoes to be really bland and boring. Cultivation for the sake of being the strongest is boring as hell. Cultivation as the main plot device is boring as hell. I don't want to keep reading 3000 word chapters over and over again about a dude and his chi veins and gathering energy from the stars or some crap like that. Its repetitive and pointless. This is why imo ATG stands above the rest because it is plot driven, not cultivation driven. Cultivation, after you've read a bunch of these novels is all the same. Even "unique" ones are still the same. When you boil down all these different cultivation types, and all these cheats the MCs have, its all pointless. What makes a story memorable is still the plot.

• @Bluekirby,
    I know TDG. I have read it before. It really started good, but from my point of view the quality dropped alongside release speed. 

I Eat Tomatoes written stories might be cultivation based, but they aren't that bad. Anyway, most novels just reuse same arcs over and over again. It doesn't really matter who is the author. For example, idiot young master wants your waifu>train to beat him>rescue waifu at the last moment arc, auction arc, alchemy arc etc. Mars is the same. Don't get me wrong. I love Mars. I am up to date with translations of 1, following raws of 1 of his works and completed 3. He reuse same stuff as well. Even ATG, how many auction arcs it has? How many save waifu arcs? I think 3 with at least 1 still incoming. What about Little Fairy and MX stories?  Practically a repetition of the same thing. Though the best aspect about Mars is that he keeps arcs short and stays away from fillers. 
    I am really interested in what you consider "plot" novels besides Mars works

/
  • Mars have plenty of filler imo
    Also novels with plot you can try release that witch or defense dungeon
  • Let's revive a dead thread with recommendations that aren't the same as everyone else on every site.

Perfect World - one of the few stories set in a primal world that actually conveys that concept. The MC is not reincarnated or a trash character until the story starts. Interesting backstory and MC pathos/growth. Also, and this is probably the one place where most CNs screw up the most, the MC is not the only person in the series that can jump the ranks. I haven't read too far ahead in the mtl, but everything has been good thus far.

Invincible/Invincible Conqueror - this is probably the best novel when it comes to a characters abilities/foundation. The things the MC can do in chapter 2000 all have an origin from all the way back to the first chapters/arc/world. If you're interested in romance and not in the ever continuing journey to the peak of martial arts then this is not for you. 

Talisman Emperor - the MC has the worst parents, EVER. For a CN this is saying something since most main characters are also terrible parents. While this is a trope heavy story I still personally recommend this as I think for the most part the tropes are done well enough that I don't mind them as much as in other stories. P.s. the MC follows his parents in being a bad parent, but this is partially not all on him.

Evil Dragon Against the Heavens - this should be required reading for everyone reading ATG to understand the basic concepts that Mars uses in ATG. I'm pretty sure the beginning and ending of this story were the first things Mars had clearly laid out before he thought about the setting and the type of story it would be. The only real padding is in the "game world". I want to spoil things about this story because I think this is one novel where discussion should happen, but I'll contain myself. There is no big bad at the end, which is a refreshing change of pace. The main story takes a while to get started, but then again everything the characters do is main story, if I sound confused it actually makes sense once you read it and put everything together.

I'll just recommend these 4 for now.
  • Sparteh said:
    Since you are new I will give you a brief introduction to LNs/WNs overall. I remember when I started, this information would have helped me greatly.

First LNs/WNs can be split into 3 groups based on source:
    1. Japanese LNs/WNs. Most of WNs is absolute garbage. To summarize plot of 90%+ of all WNs is dumb guy died and reincarnated/or was transferred to game-like world. They are simply bad. I know you didn't ask for this, but from my personal experience there are times when you want to read something new, different, because Chinese novels gets very repetitive over time. Due to this, I will recommend a few Japanese novels if you wanted to read something different for a change: Hakomari, The Lazy King, Rokka no Yuusha, Oregairu, Rakuin no Monshou or Fate/Zero.
    I disagree with your assessment of JP novels. Most anime that you see comes from one of two places, manga or light novels. There was a time where the only real isekai was Zero no Tsukaima which is a light novel and anime. ToraDora! Is also a light novel that became an anime that has nothing to do with isekai tropes. Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Ghost Stories. All Japanese light novels that became anime with no isekai tropes. When you say 90% are isekai series it shows that you don't really know what you're talking about and that you just started reading these. Even your recommendations show that you are a newer reader. Well, I for one am counting down the days until To Aru Majutsu no Index season 3 comes out. Yes, that is also another anime based on a light novel series.
  • i searched a lot for what to read and i think i may read ISSTH since it's completed too
  •  Magus of the warlock world is insanely good, there are only few chapters of fillers in whole story and there is no stupid crowd, no stupid or arrogant mc.