How does a daomerge actually work?

Hey, I'm kind of curious about how exactly the daomerge works in DE. I mean hegemon Wuye is only interested in formations and I would assume formations are his primary dao and yet he did his daomerge for the dao of fire. This leads me to my actual question what stops people from completing their daomerge in a simpler dao, and than going back to focusing on their stronger dao? I get the daomerge provides enlightenment which improves the dao you do the daomerge with, but the pillsaint achieved hegemony after becoming an emperor, and the autarchs raised multiple daos to hegemon level while being a hegemon, and I would assume the are slowly trying to get other daos the Autarchy, so there doesn't seem to be some sort of limitation placed on the daos you didn't use in the daomerge. 

Comments

• Hey, I'm kind of curious about how exactly the daomerge works in DE. I mean hegemon Wuye is only interested in formations and I would assume formations are his primary dao and yet he did his daomerge for the dao of fire. This leads me to my actual question what stops people from completing their daomerge in a simpler dao, and than going back to focusing on their stronger dao? I get the daomerge provides enlightenment which improves the dao you do the daomerge with, but the pillsaint achieved hegemony after becoming an emperor, and the autarchs raised multiple daos to hegemon level while being a hegemon, and I would assume the are slowly trying to get other daos the Autarchy, so there doesn't seem to be some sort of limitation placed on the daos you didn't use in the daomerge. 
    Even during Ning's daomerge the process itself is never explained in detail, anyways i am sure that somewhere in the earlier books it is stated that the road of a cultivator is essentially locked after he/she becomes a daolord (the choice happens at the world level actually). Daolords refine their main daos 4 times to reach the apex of the daolord level, as we already know the power of a daolord is decided by the level of his dao (common, supreme, multiple supreme fused, omega). Daomerge is not all that different from one of the 4 breakthroughs of the daolord level, the only difference is that to daomerge the cultivator must guess the proper road for his dao during the actual breakthrough in a limited time (the 4 breakthroughs of the daolord level can be prepeared in advance as we saw with Ning). The other daos aside from the main one are only auxiliary ones, they can't be used to daomerge (they can only provide more insight rising the chances of a successful daomerge). Later they are needed for daobirth, which is the name for the process of breakthrough to autarch level. Actually the word daobirth is translated as one dao births 1000 daos or something like that in mtl. Basically it means fusing daos in your main one to make it more powerful, everything revolves around the cultivator's main dao. But I guess that after the cultivator daomerges successfully he can also train other daos as their main one because there is one autarch that reaches autarch level in a second dao during the later books. It is never explained in detail so i don't have a proper answer.
  • to give a simplistic answer the dao lord step is like forging a weapon at the world level you decide your dao in other words the type of weapon you want to forge the different steps of dao lord level can be considered different steps in the forging process with the dao merge being the final step which finishes the weapon however if you have made a mistake at any point like in forging, the weapon will be flawed and break except in this scenario what break is the cultivator true soul
  • The daolord chooses his dao during the world level, if his dao is correct he goes on to become a daolord. As a daolord he gathers insights and develops his dao, once they feel that their insights are sufficient enough they become a daolord of the next step, untill you reach the fourth step. As a daolord of the fourth step you consolidate your dao and perfect it to as much you can, finally reaching the verge level of the fourth step. Once you are confident you can stimulate your daomerge, where you pour in all your knowledge of your dao into a forming flower of eternity, as you pour in your insights the flower continues to bloom, one mistake causes failure. and if your dao is insufficient then you also fail. The daomerge is harder than crossing other steps because you put all your cards on the table, everything that you have ever learned about the dao you have followed, and if there is a single mistake, a minute discrepancy will make you fail. Everyone also has a 9 year time limit.

I also have this theory that if Ning had actually had comprehended the eternal omega dao completely before the daomerge, he would have succeeded easily. The daomerge puts you in a concentrated state at all times and is perfect for meditation. and the omega sword dao is the perfect sword dao with no mistakes. If he had comprehended it before he would most definitely have made it.
  • Cheers tombec94 and Paragon, but this still leaves me with existing issues. I mean Flamefairy seemingly treated fire as her primary dao while at world level but broke through to daolord using illusions, and I get that could just mean that your dao only truly gets locked in at daolord level but that still leaves me with the issue of  Hegemon Wuye. who even as a daolord was focused on formations but broke through using fire. Now I get that he could have chosen fire when he first broke through to daolord level but that leaves me with the question of how your primary dao is chosen, is it automatic with your most understood dao becoming your primary when you break through to daolord or is it just the dao you choose to break through to daolord with. Because if it is a choice I don't see a compelling detriment to not locking in an easier dao (besides missing out on the whole prajna state during daomerge) but if it isn't a choice I don't get how the universe selects which dao gets locked in, is it your most complete dao or is it your strongest dao. I get that most people would only have one real dao so that is more an issue for people who study daos that clearly require other daos (like alchemy, forging and formations, which all seem to have a strong connection to being able to use fire). Also how the hell would the daomerge work for heartforce, it's not like heart force has multiple daos to fuse to reach hegemon level, so I could guess that it tests the stability of a cultivators heartworld, but given how heartforce has been described the stronger a heartforce wielder is the more stable their heartworld would likely be, so that doesn't really explain why there are archon level heartforce wielders but becoming a hegemon for heartforce is apparently so much harder. 

also just a side question: How powerful were Ji Nings auxillary daos prior to breaking through? and were they technincally already at eternal level? I mean the strongest daolord besides Ji Ning could barely match an Archon with a universe treasure and yet Ji Ning's auxillary daos are described to be at archon level and actually matched and defeated Archons, multiple fused supreme daos could hardly match Archons at all and reaching eternal level with fused supreme is sufficient to become a Hegemon, so are Ji Nings auxillary daos already at eternal level or are they beyond multiple fused supreme daos 
    Cheers
  • Cheers tombec94 and Paragon, but this still leaves me with existing issues. I mean Flamefairy seemingly treated fire as her primary dao while at world level but broke through to daolord using illusions, and I get that could just mean that your dao only truly gets locked in at daolord level but that still leaves me with the issue of  Hegemon Wuye. who even as a daolord was focused on formations but broke through using fire. Now I get that he could have chosen fire when he first broke through to daolord level but that leaves me with the question of how your primary dao is chosen, is it automatic with your most understood dao becoming your primary when you break through to daolord or is it just the dao you choose to break through to daolord with. Because if it is a choice I don't see a compelling detriment to not locking in an easier dao (besides missing out on the whole prajna state during daomerge) but if it isn't a choice I don't get how the universe selects which dao gets locked in, is it your most complete dao or is it your strongest dao. I get that most people would only have one real dao so that is more an issue for people who study daos that clearly require other daos (like alchemy, forging and formations, which all seem to have a strong connection to being able to use fire). Also how the hell would the daomerge work for heartforce, it's not like heart force has multiple daos to fuse to reach hegemon level, so I could guess that it tests the stability of a cultivators heartworld, but given how heartforce has been described the stronger a heartforce wielder is the more stable their heartworld would likely be, so that doesn't really explain why there are archon level heartforce wielders but becoming a hegemon for heartforce is apparently so much harder. 

also just a side question: How powerful were Ji Nings auxillary daos prior to breaking through? and were they technincally already at eternal level? I mean the strongest daolord besides Ji Ning could barely match an Archon with a universe treasure and yet Ji Ning's auxillary daos are described to be at archon level and actually matched and defeated Archons, multiple fused supreme daos could hardly match Archons at all and reaching eternal level with fused supreme is sufficient to become a Hegemon, so are Ji Nings auxillary daos already at eternal level or are they beyond multiple fused supreme daos 
    Cheers
    Lot of insightful questions, but I'm pretty sure IET doesn't really answer any of them in the rest of the story.

We never get any further explanation of how Daolords and their Daos work, or how heartforce focused cultivators work. So we can really only speculate.
  • edited January 22
    Cheers tombec94 and Paragon, but this still leaves me with existing issues. I mean Flamefairy seemingly treated fire as her primary dao while at world level but broke through to daolord using illusions, and I get that could just mean that your dao only truly gets locked in at daolord level but that still leaves me with the issue of  Hegemon Wuye. who even as a daolord was focused on formations but broke through using fire. Now I get that he could have chosen fire when he first broke through to daolord level but that leaves me with the question of how your primary dao is chosen, is it automatic with your most understood dao becoming your primary when you break through to daolord or is it just the dao you choose to break through to daolord with. Because if it is a choice I don't see a compelling detriment to not locking in an easier dao (besides missing out on the whole prajna state during daomerge) but if it isn't a choice I don't get how the universe selects which dao gets locked in, is it your most complete dao or is it your strongest dao. I get that most people would only have one real dao so that is more an issue for people who study daos that clearly require other daos (like alchemy, forging and formations, which all seem to have a strong connection to being able to use fire). Also how the hell would the daomerge work for heartforce, it's not like heart force has multiple daos to fuse to reach hegemon level, so I could guess that it tests the stability of a cultivators heartworld, but given how heartforce has been described the stronger a heartforce wielder is the more stable their heartworld would likely be, so that doesn't really explain why there are archon level heartforce wielders but becoming a hegemon for heartforce is apparently so much harder. 

Cheers
    1. I went back to look for information on how the main dao is chosen: basically after the cultivator reaches the level of full mastery in the world level he must choose a dao and reach trascendental world level, at this point the cultivator can already become a daolord, obviously the stronger world level cultivators choose to pursue higher leveled daos(supreme, more than 1 fused supreme, omega in Ning case). Training the main dao (which is therefore chosen by the cultivator) is from now on the only way to breakthrough (4 steps in daolord level and daomerge), the dao tree grows from a dao seed formed during elder god/ancestral immortal level(after aquiring a level 5 force), godgems are formed from the essence of the dao one chooses. You can't use other daos or switch between them, for example the "auxiliary" daos that Ning trains to the archon level can't be used for daomerge, they are instead used for daobirth to reach autarch level (the auxiliary daos must be at the hegemon level for daobirth to happen).

2.Flamefairy used fire as her primary dao until she found that legacy after leaving the astral islands in brightshore empire. At that point she was still a chaos immortal and she decided to use that legacy, based on illusions, to breakthrough to daolord level. It is stated that a cultivator can have more than one dao tree, the level of insight in that dao must be high enough to first develop a dao seed.

3.Hegemon Wuye's main dao is obviosly fire, him being obsessed with constructs doesn't mean anything, he is probably interested in it but very skilled in fire, in fact it is stated that his daomerge was very easy for him.

4.Daomerge for heartforce cultivators is never explained but neither IET goes into much detail for heartforce. I personally think that heartforce is somehow related to the illusion dao. Even Ning calls the archon technique based on hertforce he created as an illusion technique, later where he explains the daos he mastered he talks about illusions not heartforce. IET never goes too much into details.

5.Right now Ning's auxiliary daos are all at the archon level. Later, before and after daomerging, he rises them up to the hegemon level, he needed to do so in order to become an autarch. Also when he becomes the chaosverse controller he becomes able to draw power from all eternal omega daos. The autarch level omega sword dao he gains by daobirthing becomes the "soul/consciousness" of the desolate chaosverse, meaning that by becoming the first omega autarch of his chaosverse Ning let it evolve. 

If there is something i didn't say it's because IET didn't go into the details.
  • Flamefairy was always a Fire+Charm cultivator, even at Ancestral Immortal and World God levels. In general case, illusions are skills that applied through other daos - fire illusions, water illusions, etc. Heartforce is an especially potent force to use with illusions, but it still also exists without illusions and  illusions without it. For instance, we never saw Youji break through to creating a Heartworld proper.
  • Well about how they choose their Dao is really easy question

When they are in the lower cultivation stages like empyrean god, pure yang true immortal,etc
    They are required to use a dao to use as the core of a new body and then then next dao should be stronger but not contradictory to the previous dao.

This should be something like this at WG level they choose a dao and reform their bodies using that dao as the core so the new body is better suited to that dao.

Answering the question about why they cannot choose a simpler dao to have a simpler daomerge is also easy

Since that weaker dao is used to do the new body the amount of power that that body can draw from the chaosverse is also lower so they are sacrificing power for the sake of a easier daomerge

About why they don't just use a weaker dao and the train to hegemon level like pill saint is easy too
    Latter in the books is mentioned that she is the only one in history that managed to do that and latter there's the answer
    When you reach a certain level with some dao that dao will interfere with the other ones so is actually very hard to develop a new dao to hegemonic level like she did another person managed to do something simillar 

SPOILER
    Is an autarch that managed to have 2 daobirth essences and is the first so probably she managed to do just that but to the emperor level so if only 2 people managed to do that there's why no one does that
  • Its more clear now

The world level is like a threshold, you have to choose a dao to be primary in, but that doesnt mean that you cant be sufficient in other daos. For example emperor waveshifts primary dao isnt numerancy but he is at the hegemonic level, while he himself is at the archon level. You are allowed to train in other daos but the primary one, ie: the one you chose at the world level, is the one which fuels your body, it determines your primary source of strength. This is why Ning is so strong, his primary dao, the omega sword dao, is extremely OP. But it is strenghthend by the other daos that he trains in. The Primary dao he chooses just determines his base power not his full potential. Obviously though his sword dao is really OP and a base dao basically determines the strength youll be at for a long time. But you can still improve with other auxially daos, it just takes longer because, as REN said, its harder to train in those other daos becasue youre primary dao interferes with the training, but when you actually train in those other daos you get stronger. Case in point. The mistress, she trained from archon to hegemon, its never stated how, but I assume its because she trained her auxially daos to a new level. Another Case is that when "Emperor Darknorth" trains in other daos to an eternal sword level he gets stronger, because his primary dao is strenghthend by it. Remember Hegemon is a power class, not a rank, the Daomerge only helps you skip the training if you choose a stong enough dao, but you can continue to strenghthen that dao as an emperor. Or, as in Autarch Bolins case, even an Autarch