Mad Snail

So I noticed a lot of people think he drops novels frequently, and he has a horrid reputation for abandoning works that he starts for absolutely no reason. I for one was in agreement, as I read TDG, but I did a bit of research instead of simply jumping on that bandwagon immediately.

From what I found he has four stories that he has worked on, two of which are finished, and the other two are unfinished currently as things stand. I don't know if I just didn't find enough information about him, but unless this information is wrong I think the reputation might be a tiny bit undeserved? Granted dropping those two novels for an indefinite hiatus certainly sucks, but I mean 2 for 4 isn't a bad record if i'm being completely objective here.

So am I right with the information I found, or is there a few stories he worked on that I couldn't find?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    The only novel he finished was rebirth of the thief, as for the other three cult of runes had a very rushed ending as he started writing TDG like 50 chapters before he ended cult, you know the case of TDG, he started writing another novel which resulted in basically TDG being dropped and that newest novel after he finished the first volume has been on hiatus for about half a year now...
  • he put tdg on to 1 release a month ( not fully dropped unless some has seen something i've missed out on) due to him working on the manga of tdg as he's both writing and drawing it , but even the last 3 releases felt like fillers
  • Pizz001 said:
    he put tdg on to 1 release a month ( not fully dropped unless some has seen something i've missed out on) due to him working on the manga of tdg as he's both writing and drawing it , but even the last 3 releases felt like fillers
    I am aware of this but a "web novel" which has only 1k words per month release rate can be considered as dropped. 
  • Pizz001 said:
    he put tdg on to 1 release a month ( not fully dropped unless some has seen something i've missed out on) due to him working on the manga of tdg as he's both writing and drawing it , but even the last 3 releases felt like fillers
    He's effectively dropped TDG. He's only continuing to write it for potential last end revenues, and so he can finally be finished with the whole novel.

• Pizz001 said:
    I am aware of this but a "web novel" which has only 1k words per month release rate can be considered as dropped. 

yeah i can agree with that comment , but i was at the understanding once he getting the manga to the ln release he was going to restart it again but would as you say prob still be a 1 a month , i just hoping ( and praying) he will keep his word , but even i don't believe it a 100%
    Rewrite said:
    Pizz001 said:
    He's effectively dropped TDG. He's only continuing to write it for potential last end revenues, and so he can finally be finished with the whole novel.

yeah i can see this as well , but as i said i'm hoping ( and praying) that he'll restart it up when the manga gets near it , but that will be bloody age's so both your comments about it basically being dropped and just used for ad money i can believe :(

• nope, he has a bad reputation for a reason.... I am not sure if I wanna continue reading TDG, 99% will drop it for sure.... and not/will not read anything from this writer...
  • well hes released a new tgd i've just noticed on lnmtl #456 Training

• >he'll restart it up when the manga gets near it
    oh my sweet summer child..  Mad Snail will simply drop the manga to make the mangaversion of whatever he started to write when he dropped TDG. 

But the small amounts of his TDG manga that I have read.. it seems that he is stretching each LN chapter to 3-4 chapters at least.. And considering that his manga "chapters" are like.. 4-5 pages.. 

Mad Snails reputation is there for a reason. And I am certain that he originally wanted to go by "Mad" and the "Snail" part was given to him by the fans.

I hate him. I read TDG with each translated chapter, it was cliché but I enjoyed it. Then the translated chapters were getting caught up with the original chapters.. and original chapters were slowing down considerately.. 
    Now it is basically a race for Mad Snail to tie loose ends up as fast as he can so he can end it.  
    We might never get to know what other demons Nie Lie would merge with, never get to know what that little chicken could have become.. We probably won't hear more about that blackwinged dude whos name I have forgotten, Nie Lie and co. won't return and bring everyone into that sweet world with no demons.. 

Damn you Mad Snail
  • ^ he already started the manga version of the novel he started after he dropped TdG
  • oh well I guess we are getting some new manga by Mad Snail then
  • But still, it's amazing how simple yet engaging TDG was; from the beginning to where he dropped the novel. 
  • edited September 2017
    Yes, it was very engaging. It all seemed so grand and planned out and there were so many details and secrets. And as opposed to ED for example, where the author has no idea what he's doing and always calls his secrets 'that item' or 'that place' the stuff in TDG always had names and sometimes these secrets would even get solved a hundred chapters or so later

...it really is a shame...
  • It's too bad that the manga chapters are so short that even after binging the story still moves at authors nameske.
  • edited October 2017
    Pizz001 said:
    Let's not give him credit for what he's not doing at all. 

1. He is absolutely not the one drawing the TDG manga.
    2. He is also absolutely not writing the manga script. The manga is the novel, word for word. Of course it's another medium and due to the limitations some phrases are taken out, because they are explained by the drawings. What does get added in the panels is identical to what you will find in the novel and deciding what text needs to complement the panels is not his job. 

The guy simply sold the licensing rights to a random company and that company got editors and an artist (Jiang Guotai) to produce a manga inspired by that license. The only thing he is doing is to count the money and to sometimes work on writing novels.
  • @Daniel Dust up until a few weeks ago he was listed as the artist on here https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=125072 , it's only just been changed as I had it bookmarked trying to workout what the twit was up to as he's a pain in the bloody arse