QUESTION: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN; NOVEL, LIGHT NOVEL AND WEB NOVEL

Hi, as the title states, what are the clear difference between the 3?
How would you classify the chinese stories on wuxiaworld? - I know they were released as chapter by chapter, but many of them also exist in book format.
Is there any clear signs that you can use to find differences, so that you look at the the book or chapters to know;this is from a light novel or a web novel.
I would appreciate any reply

Comments

• Novel is a broad term referring to self-contained prose released in "book" format ("" because it's not necessarily physical book), that encompasses both LN and WN.

LN is Japanese-originating subtype of novel, that you could think of as novel released in manga-like way - it's released in cheap booklets, or posted piece by piece in cheap magazines, either way it often carries undertone of mass production - I'm not referring to volume of sales, but author's productivity. LN authors are expected to either continue soon, or release something new, even at the cost of quality. Closest western equivalent would be pulp novel, but it's important to note manga influence.

WN is just a novel that is published on net. Period. However, typically when someone around here uses the term, they are typically referring to web release in bite-sized chunks, perfectly sized for a blog entry. This is not textbook definition, but the shoe fits, and no one cares.

• On wuxiaworld, most of works are taken from Qidian, a chinese web novel publisher.

• In the Japanese terms a web novel is something that authors create to perhaps be scouted by a publisher; if they do get a contract their webnovel which was something that people liked would be edited, usually grammar as well as points that didn't make sense when they were written due to author not checking the chapters before uploading them online, after that it's goes to publishing where it would be printed in paper...

as for novel, that's hard to define, actually... but simply put, a novel is usually 1 off and doesn't have a series, but if it does it will put emphasis on characters and the story more heavily will be more descriptive than interactive like web and light novels...

wuxiaworld is a webnovel translation group but in china the webnovels also receive printed versions of their webnovels... you can check on amazon.cn for confirmation 
  • i think the difference between light novels and web novels that light novel is for web novels that are made into physical book and web novel are novel that are in the internet with no physical book
  • i think the difference between light novels and web novels that light novel is for web novels that are made into physical book and web novel are novel that are in the internet with no physical book
  • Put it simply LN is the final/polished form of the novel in most cases after being looked over by editors and proof readers while WN is basically author's own work without the editing and etc
  • If you want a better explanation, ask grandpa Google