Spoilers...

Comments

• There is something that has been bothering me while i am reading A will eternal. There is not one philosophical moment like other Ergen novels. Renegade immortal is loaded with them, issth has only few but they are good!

Then we have Will eternal, lot of plot armor jokes and cliched power ups, which i don't have a problem with. But not a single contemplative moment.

It feels like the author is not taking this story serious enough and just writing it for relaxation. 
    I want another snow in the winter simile.  

• edited December 2017
    kalyan89 said:
    There is something that has been bothering me while i am reading A will eternal. There is not one philosophical moment like other Ergen novels. Renegade immortal is loaded with them, issth has only few but they are good!

Then we have Will eternal, lot of plot armor jokes and cliched power ups, which i don't have a problem with. But not a single contemplative moment.

It feels like the author is not taking this story serious enough and just writing it for relaxation. 
    I want another snow in the winter simile.  

I might be wrong but the most probable reason for it might be Er Gen wants to become a people's author rather than remain a cult classic.
    If you read Er Gen earlier work they were plot based stories involving on characters interaction whereas his recent works are based on character interactions with plot involved.
    In RI and BTD the character interactions were there but they were mostly there for revealing a particular plot detail or in the form of basic interactions. His earlier work rarely had any humor in it and if there was some it was provided by a side character which helped in having a serious and hardworking MC.
    But his recent work ISSTH and AWE which have been his most successful work till now are with numerous character interactions and less complex plot which makes it easier to understand and gives a more gratifying feeling, which is why IET works are so widely renowned and novels like TDG and ATG though being predictable and somewhat cliche have such a vast fanbase.
    And In Asain countries, emotions and character interactions are one of the major parts of stories and favoured more than complex plot which is why their Dramas are generally character-based unlike plot based found in western countries.

• Is Zhou Xinqi a harem member?
  • nope, as far as I know, there are 4 of them HX, SJ, Boo and a red woman or something.
  • I see, I just got to the part where Zhou Xinqi was sitting together with Shangguan Tianyou at the river. Do they get together or something?
  • Karvo said:
    I see, I just got to the part where Zhou Xinqi was sitting together with Shangguan Tianyou at the river. Do they get together or something?
    He wanted to be together with her, but she dies while BXC is away during the Wilderness arc

• Thanks for the response! Does she stay that way or is there some process to revive her? Also, does she like Shangguan Tianyou back? I thought she was a potential harem member in the start
  • edited December 2017
    Ninetieth said:
    (Sry im using my phone so my post is a bit messed up) i have to disagree. The mc is indeed wants eternal life, but his thirst for power is mainly to protect the ppls of heavenspan world. Even kui sovereign in his heartbreaking death believe in the mc
    to protect their lineage
    So it just so happens that the power comes with eternal life? What you describe is just tribalism, and everyone acts like that, especially villians, seeing as most of these novels involve satisfying power fantasies vs young masters. Tribalism isn't a heroic trait; it's an anchor for society. And half of the stories are about how he wants to be treated better because he's so great, so xyz. Let's not paint it as some alturistic endeavor. The story is basicly reclying this basic low status to high status plotline. his inner monologues is a constant whine of his desired priveledge.

CFT said:
    Hayd189 wanting eternal life and cowardice are not evil traits. His cowardice has limits. He won't willingly put himself into danger unless suitably motivated to do so. He has put his life on the line for his sect brethren.
    But they are. Cowardice in itself a natural trait, and neutral; but as a narrative, it is a negative trait. Being a coward means you are ordinary; thus villains are often portrayed this way. He's a coward because he says and acts like one when possible, if danger is in front of him or people he knows directly, he would save them; otherwise this story would be boring and suck. He's not rushing off to danger to save the town/cities until it is in face and affects him directly. Even when he stops that war, he knew they weren't  going to kill him, he's got strong relationship with both sides.

As for eternal life, once again, it's netrual.. like if you were god, eternal life is natural and a natural property. But if you were just one rung down, like Lucifer, then his quest for eternal is a evil. Our moralities is one of the struggles we comes to term with, coming with answers like religions, nihilism, whatever. This makes the desire for eternal life, an attractive and neutral ideal, a Faustian deal. What is the cost? In most of these novels, it's tons and tons of innocent life, especially the young. Even in AWE, we have a reincarnation subplot about old wanting to rob the young. The MC of AWE is supposedly a pacifist, but is willing to steal and kill for his eternal life. Is this not an evil? What separates him from that old dude? Why does he deserve eternal life more than any other looking for it, but are weaker than him? He's willing to make that sacrifice, and the dead are painted as evil; but let's not confused the fact that there is a massive cost for etneral life, and the MC will inevitably pay, such as Lucifer and others choose to. Hence the desire of eternal life is an evil to the mortals(ie. US) who will be stomped on for that dream to be achieved; it ain't free like GOD got.

Like his medicine making, he's aware and willing to cause the harm for the ends. I see a lot of this trait in him, so I classify him as evil; not in a mustache twirling way, but evil in his desires and methods. His actions have consequences and real cost. Whether you think torturing people for their secret treasures, or state sponsure seizures are evil acts, he's the same, siphoning wealth from others for his own betterman. I don't know how you justify his choices as not evil. that his pursuit of eternal life isn't at a huge cost.

I still don't know who is the villian in this novel, u say the kui soviegn is some noble firgure, but up to chapter 800, he ain't so far. And i remember some spoiler mentioning that everyonr with a weak cultivation gets insta kill later when the world is destroyed anyways?

• edited December 2017
    ok so i gotgtogchap 1100 and cancanswer some questions from earlier
    4. Gravedigger is the spirit of the world, also serves as the grim reaper. thats why he appeared in chap64 when MC was dying. His other duty is to make sure the world produces an inheritor of that KUI guys undying codex. Hes also known as netherworld sovereign in the wilderness, and he saved their ass from the heavanspan daosit way back then. The whole point of the novel up to leaving that heaveanspan world is the machination between him and heavan daoist. he realize it was impossible for a person to learn both the undying codex and the forever living codex with their shitty bloodline and resources. So he lied to the doaist guy, and manipulated him into training someone eith the living codex, ehile he did same with dying. The blood ancestor and snow ancestor was their first attempt. the monkey is the snow ancestor, and the rabbit the blood ancestor. he manipulated MC into reincarting both for this plot. anyways, heavanly daoist made his daughter the new living codex host, and was just gonna use the blood ancestor body for the other half. His plan was to make a pill and advance himself out of his daughter and other. the gravediggers plan was to use the daosit daughter, and all the souls in the whole world to sacrifice and build up to MC. vast marjority of world died, but they existed to make a new inheritor anyways, so haha.

5. Shes evil soveigns lakey, lost her arm in a fight over the heavanspan world, and tried to force her way in, but was trapped by the grave digger. made a deal with him to get her arm back, the arm being that little ghost girl, and help him deal with heavan daoist. She got her arm back and left the world, but didn't do anything to the daosit. took fatty and hou limung with her.
  • edited December 2017
    Hayd189 said:
    Ninetieth said:
    (Sry im using my phone so my post is a bit messed up) i have to disagree. The mc is indeed wants eternal life, but his thirst for power is mainly to protect the ppls of heavenspan world. Even kui sovereign in his heartbreaking death believe in the mc
    to protect their lineage
    So it just so happens that the power comes with eternal life? What you describe is just tribalism, and everyone acts like that, especially villians, seeing as most of these novels involve satisfying power fantasies vs young masters. Tribalism isn't a heroic trait; it's an anchor for society. And half of the stories are about how he wants to be treated better because he's so great, so xyz. Let's not paint it as some alturistic endeavor. The story is basicly reclying this basic low status to high status plotline. his inner monologues is a constant whine of his desired priveledge.

CFT said:
    Hayd189 wanting eternal life and cowardice are not evil traits. His cowardice has limits. He won't willingly put himself into danger unless suitably motivated to do so. He has put his life on the line for his sect brethren.
    But they are. Cowardice in itself a natural trait, and neutral; but as a narrative, it is a negative trait. Being a coward means you are ordinary; thus villains are often portrayed this way. He's a coward because he says and acts like one when possible, if danger is in front of him or people he knows directly, he would save them; otherwise this story would be boring and suck. He's not rushing off to danger to save the town/cities until it is in face and affects him directly. Even when he stops that war, he knew they weren't  going to kill him, he's got strong relationship with both sides.

As for eternal life, once again, it's netrual.. like if you were god, eternal life is natural and a natural property. But if you were just one rung down, like Lucifer, then his quest for eternal is a evil. Our moralities is one of the struggles we comes to term with, coming with answers like religions, nihilism, whatever. This makes the desire for eternal life, an attractive and neutral ideal, a Faustian deal. What is the cost? In most of these novels, it's tons and tons of innocent life, especially the young. Even in AWE, we have a reincarnation subplot about old wanting to rob the young. The MC of AWE is supposedly a pacifist, but is willing to steal and kill for his eternal life. Is this not an evil? What separates him from that old dude? Why does he deserve eternal life more than any other looking for it, but are weaker than him? He's willing to make that sacrifice, and the dead are painted as evil; but let's not confused the fact that there is a massive cost for etneral life, and the MC will inevitably pay, such as Lucifer and others choose to. Hence the desire of eternal life is an evil to the mortals(ie. US) who will be stomped on for that dream to be achieved; it ain't free like GOD got.

Like his medicine making, he's aware and willing to cause the harm for the ends. I see a lot of this trait in him, so I classify him as evil; not in a mustache twirling way, but evil in his desires and methods. His actions have consequences and real cost. Whether you think torturing people for their secret treasures, or state sponsure seizures are evil acts, he's the same, siphoning wealth from others for his own betterman. I don't know how you justify his choices as not evil. that his pursuit of eternal life isn't at a huge cost.

I still don't know who is the villian in this novel, u say the kui soviegn is some noble firgure, but up to chapter 800, he ain't so far. And i remember some spoiler mentioning that everyonr with a weak cultivation gets insta kill later when the world is destroyed anyways?

.....you speak as if the previous mcs of ergen's work HAVEN'T gone on mass murdering sprees.....doesn't matter for what reason you're accomplishing it, at the end of the day killing is still killing. meng hao literally massacred an entire sea's worth of creatures, multiple sects, multiple planets, and multiple fking realms. What makes you think he's any better? He did it because he had his own agenda, and BXC is like this due to his own agenda as well. Stop trying to sound like a reviewer.
  • I am not equating killing with evil, merely killing for the purpose of eternal life. revenge, to he no 1, for no reason are all fine reasons to kill in these novels. 

There might be little difference between life presevation, and eternal life, but I think there is a fine line there? 

Like for example, everyone enters a tomb to hunt treasure. But it turns out the tomb is a trap for a massive blood sacrifice to regenerate tomb owner. Isn't this an evil act? But isn't it also self preservation, so is it really evil? There's some kinda line imho. Like hunting for some flower that hives you 500+ years, killing for it, isn't evil because its part of the game, but using forbidden techniques to creat such a flower might be? 

Is that a strange logic? 

• Hayd189 said:
    I am not equating killing with evil, merely killing for the purpose of eternal life. revenge, to he no 1, for no reason are all fine reasons to kill in these novels. 

There might be little difference between life presevation, and eternal life, but I think there is a fine line there? 

Like for example, everyone enters a tomb to hunt treasure. But it turns out the tomb is a trap for a massive blood sacrifice to regenerate tomb owner. Isn't this an evil act? But isn't it also self preservation, so is it really evil? There's some kinda line imho. Like hunting for some flower that hives you 500+ years, killing for it, isn't evil because its part of the game, but using forbidden techniques to creat such a flower might be? 

Is that a strange logic? 

at the end of the day, it's still killing for self-benefit. killing an enemy because they kidnapped your wife, killing someone because they would kill you otherwise, killing someone because they murdered your family, and killing an enemy because you want to live forever, are all selfish reasons to kill at its very core. whether it be for revenge, for protection, to rescue someone, or to live forever, it's all because they would benefit you at the end. And that's literally what all the cn novels are.....doing things to further achieve the things you want to achieve. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong though, you're entitled to think that AWE is bad, but don't say its objectively bad, especially by using very opposable arguments
  • Hayd191 are you a very religious person? If all this killing bothering you. You might as well stick to shounen. So far AWE MC does the least evil things out of Er Gen's MC well the 3 novels I've read. Meng Hao tried to look hero like while mass killing. Wang Lin don't play not games. Also seem like you want him to be very hero like. You might as well stick to Marvel and some Japanese manga/anime. 
  • Who is Du Lingfei and has Bai met her again?
  • Nabcake said:
    Who is Du Lingfei and has Bai met her again?
    she's the daughter of patriarch limitless of blood stream sect, he meets her again a bit later
  • Prady said:
    Nabcake said:
    she's the daughter of patriarch limitless of blood stream sect, he meets her again a bit later
    Except we find out in the most recent translated chapter that the Du Lingfei BXC meets in the Profound Stream Sect isn't actually Du Xuemei from the Blood Stream Sect
  • edited December 2017
    Nabcake said:
    Spoiler from far chapter
    Spoiler:
    She's the daughter of Heavenspan Daoist and at some point she cultivated The Living Forever Codex
  • Can someone spoil the war against Sky River Court? How does the River Defying sect defeat them? 
  • Prady said:
    at the end of the day, it's still killing for self-benefit. killing an enemy because they kidnapped your wife, killing someone because they would kill you otherwise, killing someone because they murdered your family, and killing an enemy because you want to live forever, are all selfish reasons to kill at its very core. whether it be for revenge, for protection, to rescue someone, or to live forever, it's all because they would benefit you at the end. And that's literally what all the cn novels are.....doing things to further achieve the things you want to achieve. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong though, you're entitled to think that AWE is bad, but don't say its objectively bad, especially by using very opposable arguments
    I didn't say that AWE was bad, only that the hero was "evil." He's not evil in an obvious way, but from his characterization and actions, I judged that the author is hinting that he is the "evil" path of his CN series.. This is the first novel of his that I have read, but some of the spoilers talked about some 5 immortals of this world or something that all the author's novels are connected by, this is one of the reason I came to this thought, the world's "gods" needs someone that is the evil path no?

bonifide said:
    Hayd191 are you a very religious person? If all this killing bothering you. You might as well stick to shounen. So far AWE MC does the least evil things out of Er Gen's MC well the 3 novels I've read. Meng Hao tried to look hero like while mass killing. Wang Lin don't play not games. Also seem like you want him to be very hero like. You might as well stick to Marvel and some Japanese manga/anime. 
    Nah, I like the slaughter. One of my favorite at the moment is Emporer's Dominion, simply because of the slaughter.  Again it's not the damage the hero causes, it's how and why that makes him look "evil." I already mentioned this drug making, his drug dealing, his seizure of property, using his office to make address grievances. I mean, these are all young master type behaviors that are the usual villains in these tails. Then his personality of cowardice, his desire for fame and titles(he chased around that one girl just so she had to call him uncle), and his desire for forever life. I can't even remember now examples of evil villains with this goal, it's so obvious that it's not memorable. There are tons in emporer's dominion, this novel had that one dude i mentioned, I think martial peak had that once place with the time guy who lured everyone to his tomb to suck their life so he could revive, western vampire lores. I mean where is an example of wanting forever life is a good triat?
    Winters said:
    Can someone spoil the war against Sky River Court? How does the River Defying sect defeat them? 
    The Profound and snow sect rode up the river on their boats, the blood sect walked their on the body of the blood ancestor(giant hand dude that life on). They wait a few days outside SRC to see if any smaller sects wanted in, then rolled up. They're ambushed by SRC(which is an assasin sect btw) and start fighting. SRC has this giant tree that they sacrifice tons of blood to every year, and the blood ancestor fights that tree and just pulls it down the sea and lays on top of it, taking both out of the fight. SRC retreat backs to their sect, and there is a chase down. The MC saw that elder with the phoenix gets killed, and gets mad and fights the killer. He kills her, but her bf sees and comes after him. The bf is at profound core, whom had their own battlefield, so this was breaking protocol. The MC gets bashed kinda but then breaks through to profound core. Everyone stops fighting watching him breakthrough.

While all this is going on, the SRC ancestor is watching from some cabin, with a higher realm guy taunting him. This is apparently his punishment from the higher realm. Some insect thing gets revived and everyone is scared, but the snow sec revives their spirit soul thing and she one shots the insect. The higher realm guy wanted to see more so he sacrificed all the SRC disciples to revive that tree, but the spirit goes away. The SRC ancestor is all sad now cause everyone is truly dead now, and he too sacrifices himself for the tree and asks that the tree be spared. Now the tree and blood ancestor protects their new sect.
  • Hayd189 said:
    Prady said:
    I didn't say that AWE was bad, only that the hero was "evil." He's not evil in an obvious way, but from his characterization and actions, I judged that the author is hinting that he is the "evil" path of his CN series.. This is the first novel of his that I have read, but some of the spoilers talked about some 5 immortals of this world or something that all the author's novels are connected by, this is one of the reason I came to this thought, the world's "gods" needs someone that is the evil path no?

No.

In I Shall Seal The Heavens, the over arching Big Bad is Allheaven. After extreme periods of time, his body decayed and transformed until all that remained were an eye and Five Fingers. The Fingers represented Five Paths of Cultivation; the Immortal, the God, the Ghost, the Devil, and the Demon. Allheaven gradually fell into something akin to a slumber for many ages.

As people achieved Transcendence in accordance with a Path, Allheaven attacked them unconsciously. In response, those who Transcended fought back and severed the Finger that represented their paths. The pain of this eventually shocked Allheaven into waking, upon which he realized that he had only the Immortal and the Demon Fingers left. He then set into motion a plan to restore himself by seeding the Vast Expanse with his bloodline, manipulating the people who inherited his blood into getting half a step into Transcendence along the Demon Path, and then harvesting them.

Towards the end, various other facts about Allheaven are revealed, including the fact that the Vast Expanse that events take place in(all three of the previous novels) is just one of a vast number of "wheels of stars" with Meng Hao(and the others who achieved Transcendence) ending the novel by venturing out to explore them.

Now, whether or not A Will Eternal even takes place in the same overarching setting as Er Gen's previous novels, much less the Vast Expanse itself, is a matter of considerable debate.

• Er Gen himself has confirmed that this novel has no connection whatsoever to the universe in which all his previous novels have been held. IDK anything about the author hinting at Bai Xiaochun going some kind of evil god route though.
  • Who’s going to be the River Defying Sects Deva Patriarch?

• 1: I was told that Bai Xiaochun has 4 women in the harem and 3 potential ... Can someone give me their names and the situation? 2: Can anyone tell me about Du lingfei?
    3: Are two Mc women raped?
  • Hayd189 said:
    Winters said:
    Can someone spoil the war against Sky River Court? How does the River Defying sect defeat them? 
    The Profound and snow sect rode up the river on their boats, the blood sect walked their on the body of the blood ancestor(giant hand dude that life on). They wait a few days outside SRC to see if any smaller sects wanted in, then rolled up. They're ambushed by SRC(which is an assasin sect btw) and start fighting. SRC has this giant tree that they sacrifice tons of blood to every year, and the blood ancestor fights that tree and just pulls it down the sea and lays on top of it, taking both out of the fight. SRC retreat backs to their sect, and there is a chase down. The MC saw that elder with the phoenix gets killed, and gets mad and fights the killer. He kills her, but her bf sees and comes after him. The bf is at profound core, whom had their own battlefield, so this was breaking protocol. The MC gets bashed kinda but then breaks through to profound core. Everyone stops fighting watching him breakthrough.

While all this is going on, the SRC ancestor is watching from some cabin, with a higher realm guy taunting him. This is apparently his punishment from the higher realm. Some insect thing gets revived and everyone is scared, but the snow sec revives their spirit soul thing and she one shots the insect. The higher realm guy wanted to see more so he sacrificed all the SRC disciples to revive that tree, but the spirit goes away. The SRC ancestor is all sad now cause everyone is truly dead now, and he too sacrifices himself for the tree and asks that the tree be spared. Now the tree and blood ancestor protects their new sect.
    Thank you! 
    Can you spoil the next saga/part for us please! 
  • Anyone notice how even though everyone is saying that AWE isn’t about Patriarch Vast Expanse the Ghost but there’s a lot of stuff hinting towards it. Example he ogre turtles he calls himself Lord Turtle one of his greatest treasures is a Turtle Wok and a talking turtle follows him around and now there’s this cooper mirror of his capable of sealing souls inside it he did it to Nightcrypt like how Patriarch Vast Expanse did it to Lord Fifth. So everything’s just fishy to me.
  • Wasn't there a comment by Er Gen himself that literally says AWE is not connected to the universe of his other novels or something?

Also, can anyone go into a bit of detail on Du Lingfei and her having cultivated the Live Forever codex? My assumption has been that all the stuff I've read her doing in these past 350ish chapters is her basically trying to get the Undying Codex so that she can cultivate both and join them together. Does this mean she's at the peak of cultivation in the Heavenspan Realm already or something? And just how far has she cultivated the Live Forever codex? I assume at least close to completion.
  • People who are up to date with raws, Is the story becoming darker with each passing arc compared to its earlier tone and is it foreshadowing a drastic change in MC personality.
  • xaryte said:
    Does mc stay so narcissistic throughout the whole novel? I'm at where he just became the junior brother of the sect leader and really can't take it..
    Anyone?
  • I've just read Chapter 360 and knows that he's going to compete with the other sects in this arc for seals. I want to know when this arc ends because I want to save up chapters and read it in one go 
  • The seal competition isn't an arc more like an introduction to a big arc.