Isn't the middle of chapter 341 messy? (A bit Spoilerish)

This part: "
“Materialised spiritual force! A rank 2 Magus!”

The hawk-nosed old man made a strange sound. Despite bleeding profusely from his mouth and nose, the old man started to recall his spells, risking recoil in doing so while he retreated in haste.

It was a pity that this was all too late!

A pillar of silver light streaked across the sky and arrived at the top of the old man’s head.

“No!” The old man exclaimed in anger, and an incomplete protection ruin on his neck exploded, resulting in an inferno of crimson flames.

Following that, the old man stopped in his tracks for a moment and nearly fell to the ground.

He had obviously felt the peak elemental spiritual force residing in the flames being instantly destroyed by the silver materialised spiritual force when the two forces collided.

As the spiritual force being manipulated was dispelled, the inferno of crimson flames lost sight of its target and began spreading to the surroundings.

The silver spiritual force soon descended down on its target. It formed a silver cross-shaped sword after having elongated and pierced the old man in the chest.

*Drip! Drip!*

The old man was bleeding profusely and droplets of blood could be seen dripping onto the ground. He tried humming, but no energy particles were triggered.

The solidified spiritual force of a rank 2 Magus far surpassed the spiritual force of an converted Magus in terms of quality. The spiritual force residing inside the old man’s consciousness was no match for the silver spiritual force and was completely locked down with a single hit.

"

I reread this passage a lot of times, and while I understand the general idea (a solidified spiritual force sword locks him by impaling), I can't help but find it messy. For start, the old mage bleeds even though he was never hit.

Also, (unrelated) I think there is a mistake: "an incomplete protection ruin" shouldn't be "an incomplete protection rune"?

Comments

• " and pierced the old man in the chest." He was hit, right here.

I haven't read that chapter itself( I'm storing them to binge later) but this passage makes sense to me. What else do you find messy?
  • dionit said:
    " and pierced the old man in the chest." He was hit, right here.

I haven't read that chapter itself( I'm storing them to binge later) but this passage makes sense to me. What else do you find messy?
    I talked about the bleeding at the very beginning: "Despite bleeding profusely from his mouth and nose, the old man started to recall his spells, risking recoil in doing so while he retreated in haste." but the hit only happen later. Before that, it's not mentionned any wound, not even from simple pressure.

In the other thing that I find messy: the protection rune/ruin. Why is a sea of flame appearing? It's meant to protect, not to attack. I thought it was only because the spell was broken, but it's said later that it lost it's target, so the effect was intended.

Finally, the way it's written, it looks like there are two silver spiritual force attacks. The first blocking his spells and destroying his rune/ruin and the second impaling him. But after rereading, it seems there is only one attack.

Also, maybe another mistake: "The old man exclaimed in anger" has little sense. Why he is angry? He is more scared. So shouldn't it be "The old man exclaimed in Danger"
  • Oh sorry, didn't see that.

While fire is usually seen as a form of attack, why can't it be used for defense? It could very well be the "destroy the attack before it destroys you" type of defense.

As for the spiritual force attacks, it would seem there were either 2(and we don't see the second being cast) or the first one was dispersed and the old man lost track of it. Since we're seeing this scene from the point of view of the old man, it's natural he'd miss somethings.
  • I would have to go back and re-read the entire section, but I'm pretty sure some of his spells were destroyed before that, causing a backlash, thus the initial bleeding. As for the passage as a whole, I understood it as one attack that cut through the defenses before impaling him and locking his magic. Though I do agree that the section was not written in the clearest of manners. I don't know if it was just somewhat poorly explained in the original, or if it was just really hard to translate in a way that was easily understood, but it did seem a bit convoluted.
  • None of the spells were destroyed or anything. He was spilling blood out of the blue. We can assume though that it's a backlash to the radiation of a rank 2 Magus. (A bit like in ISSTH where everytime that a powerful expert appears, the weaker one cough blood under the pressure)