Lack of depth and laziness of the author.

I'm currently up to date with ATG's translation and I got to say I've lost faith in this novel. It started off great with the showcase of the MC's intelligence against that xiao clan guy and the branch sect later. The ferocity of YC when he cripples the first two main enemys (the kid from his own clan and later the kid in the 10th nascent stage) is shocking and refreshingly brutal. After getting to the phoenix empire arc I started noticing that the author was simply reusing his plotline again and again. Yun Che falls into danger, confronts danger, conveniently escapes and powers up and then has a convenient tournament with all his enemies, not forgetting the heavily repetitive shock and awe of the crowd the author feels the need to painstakingly describe to us. Because of this the novel has lost its sense of danger. I know that the author is going to write an escape route because heaven forfend YC actually has a setback that he can't resolve in a couple of chapters.

The Demon arc is in my opinion insulting. Once again the tournament setting is reused, pointlessly in this case as Yun Che has all the condemning evidence he needs to challenge the Duke without fighting at all. My problem with this arc is the sheer laziness. We experience endless build up, during and just after the tournament, and all YC does is spout info we already know about. Duke Huai (think that's his name) is described as a cunning schemer and yet despite it being obvious that YC has the upper hand and a bunch of hidden cards he never backs down until he is utterly humiliated and trapped, a real schemer would stop when he could see that YC was feeding off his arguments, thus taking away his momentum. It would have been far more interesting if the Duke immediately gave in, retreated and schemed and then was later exposed by YC through some cunning plan. YC father is also supposed to be the worthy opponent of Duke Huai and yet he doesn't find it the slightest bit suspious that an expert of incredible power, who was in a position of trust, could be responsibly for the deaths of the Demon royal family and conveniently the only people able to contend with him. It's completely ludicrous that not one of these patriarchs realises that some fishy is going on until YC points it out. If your going to have a clever MC then make him clever, don't make everyone else thick as sh*t.

Getting through that arc pretty much killed the story for me. Im only continuing to read in the hope that the author gets off his arse and stops relying on his Mc OPness to explain away badly thought out plot.

Right my rant is over, phew! Apologies.

Comments

• Yeah, sure the tournament setting has be reused but it's probably the best "stage" the author could set up for YC. It not "pointless" since YC wanted to rebuild the Yun Clan reputation esp. his Grandfather's. Most other settings would have been lacking or limited.

"YC spouts info we already know". I find this funny.
    YOU had the info, but did the people in IDR knew?
    What do you want the author to do? Summarize it like "YC explained everything to LDE and everyone present" ? o_O
    Are you sure you want to read a "novel" and not just "plot summaries/plot-lines"?

You say Duke Huai should have retreated? That indeed might have been wiser choice. But do you really expect him to admit defeat against a youngster who was only 22 years old? That is one of the biggest humiliation he could have received. Don't forget there were thousands of reputed people of IDR there. It's not surprising that he refused to give in. How in world could he have even imagine that YC was actually from Yun Clan? And had the Demon Seal and Yun Canghai's corspe?

Duke Ming not being suspected isn't that outrageous. He disappeared long before DE and his son died. He also had a very good reputation like that of a saint. Given that there was already a prime offender aka PSC for killing of DE-it's not unusual that none of the Patriarchs suspected him. Honestly, it is not that ludicrous as you try to claim it to be. You think it should've been obvious for Duke Ming to be suspected but it's only because the plot has been explained for you. This is just your "hindsight bias". It's very common. The author isn't making everyone thick as sh*t compared with YC.

• cliff notes pls
  • Also since the start of the novel YC always said once he had the power to act the way he wanted , he wouldnt have needed his schemes being so big.

今晚想跟我上床吗?

• edited December 2016
    Not excusing Mars, but it could be worse. RITF has what you're describing in ATG, but far worse. Most authors suffer from laziness and usually forget about things they wrote here and there. I'm just glad the way Mars has been doing it is tolerable to some extent, although I'm not sure what he has in store for the future.
  • I do wanna see more smart schemes from Yun che the pretending to be a famous doctor and scamming that outer xaio sect was the best
  • Smooth Che during his initial meetings with Cang Yue and the doctor scene were the best for me. Those were the "wow this is a novel I can't stop reading" moments for me.
  • You dont know a repetitive plot and story until you read Wu Dong Qian Kun.. You can literally change the enemy name, place and the treasure/inheritance that people are fighting for and its all the same..
  • I'm currently up to date with ATG's translation and I got to say I've lost faith in this novel. It started off great with the showcase of the MC's intelligence against that xiao clan guy and the branch sect later. The ferocity of YC when he cripples the first two main enemys (the kid from his own clan and later the kid in the 10th nascent stage) is shocking and refreshingly brutal. After getting to the phoenix empire arc I started noticing that the author was simply reusing his plotline again and again. Yun Che falls into danger, confronts danger, conveniently escapes and powers up and then has a convenient tournament with all his enemies, not forgetting the heavily repetitive shock and awe of the crowd the author feels the need to painstakingly describe to us. Because of this the novel has lost its sense of danger. I know that the author is going to write an escape route because heaven forfend YC actually has a setback that he can't resolve in a couple of chapters.

The Demon arc is in my opinion insulting. Once again the tournament setting is reused, pointlessly in this case as Yun Che has all the condemning evidence he needs to challenge the Duke without fighting at all. My problem with this arc is the sheer laziness. We experience endless build up, during and just after the tournament, and all YC does is spout info we already know about. Duke Huai (think that's his name) is described as a cunning schemer and yet despite it being obvious that YC has the upper hand and a bunch of hidden cards he never backs down until he is utterly humiliated and trapped, a real schemer would stop when he could see that YC was feeding off his arguments, thus taking away his momentum. It would have been far more interesting if the Duke immediately gave in, retreated and schemed and then was later exposed by YC through some cunning plan. YC father is also supposed to be the worthy opponent of Duke Huai and yet he doesn't find it the slightest bit suspious that an expert of incredible power, who was in a position of trust, could be responsibly for the deaths of the Demon royal family and conveniently the only people able to contend with him. It's completely ludicrous that not one of these patriarchs realises that some fishy is going on until YC points it out. If your going to have a clever MC then make him clever, don't make everyone else thick as sh*t.

Getting through that arc pretty much killed the story for me. Im only continuing to read in the hope that the author gets off his arse and stops relying on his Mc OPness to explain away badly thought out plot.

Right my rant is over, phew! Apologies.
    You could just stop reading atg if you hate it  problem solve
  • Only part I hope the author stops is the tournament then the death lol 3 times was enough.
    I do have to say the Duke huai and king ming parts were both pretty good as far as scheming villains go they were. The best ones yet. 
    And that whole arc was well done as opposed to the pheonix sect one, that was pretty disappointing. When he was at each profound level he fought off peak thrones. Now that he is emporor profound they should have known he could wipe the floor with there tyrant elders just by the fact he wiped out there 700,000 army and killed the floating cloud elder like he was an ant. 
    I hoped the pheonix sect wasn't so retarded for such a powerful sect lol
  • So far all the antagonists shown except Duke Huai and Ming are retarded.
    "What fun would it be to become the king of the Tower? Tell Zahard to keep his boring seat. I will get out of the Tower." - Urek Mazino
    You could just stop reading atg if you hate it  problem solve
    I kind of agree. Him complaining about ATG here wouldn't change anything. It's more like venting. (pointless)
  • Akashura said:
    So far all the antagonists shown except Duke Huai and Ming are retarded.
    Rape Han seems fairly smart he hatched a scheme that would have worked if Yun che wasn't around, and didn't fly off by himself to kill Yun che like so many other idiots do lol
    Although I still hope he dies a pitiful juecheng like death
  • wgra5 said:
    Akashura said:
    Rape Han seems fairly smart he hatched a scheme that would have worked if Yun che wasn't around, and didn't fly off by himself to kill Yun che like so many other idiots do lol
    Regardless he's still a dickhead who thinks with his penis.
    "What fun would it be to become the king of the Tower? Tell Zahard to keep his boring seat. I will get out of the Tower." - Urek Mazino
  • Akashura said:
    wgra5 said:
    Akashura said:
    Compared to Rape chan, Ling Kun is more troublesome.
  • Arawn said:
    Akashura said:
    wgra5 said:
    Akashura said:
    Though he hasn't gotten much screentime.
  • Akashura said:
    Arawn said:
    Akashura said:
    wgra5 said:
    Akashura said:
    Though he hasn't gotten much screentime.
    Which is actually worrisome. We have no idea what he is up to.
  • Overly "intelligent" MCs hiding their strength and plotting overly complicated and impossible scenarios are more annoying IMO e.g. LLS TTNH etc. Straight up fighting novels like MGA PMG or anything with "martial" in the title can become taxing to read as well. ATG is somewhere in between. So if it's not your cup of tea, might need to move to another novel  :p
  • edited December 2016
    Someone please contact mod to delete this thread... we don't need another stupid and useless Thread like this.. or someone's stupid rant...
  • Well, even though there's delay and stuff, I personally think Mars still did better than most of the authors. Especially better than Mad snail, who just compress the whole possible 1~2 arc into 1~2 chapters.
  • glad to see plot finally moving forward after hundreds of meaningless chapters.
  • No disrespect to the OP but I think the Mod should delete this baseless thread....IDR is one of tha best arc where not only was Duke Huai a schemer, his father was a perfect schemer & funny enough nobody including YC suspected anything from Ming esp inviting the PSC enemy
    Blessed are those who ain't xpectin 4 surely they shall never ever be disappointed>>>Mars Snail

2 much ANALYSIS "may" likely lead to PARALYSIS...
  • edited January 2017
    Things can get much worse...
    Another novel, the Portal of Wonderland just time-skips instead of providing us with the "painstaking" details... ~1 to 5 years skipped most of the time.

We are lucky Mars doesn't do that !

Free Your Mind
  • Everything will be okay as long as Jasmine end up giving birth to junior yun ches
     B) 
  • lol why so many people are complaining about this thread. The guys just wanted to vent/share his complaints. Nothing wrong about that. 

Yun Che dying and coming back alive is something that I like and I really don't care about how many times it happens. I just think that the latest ones were all different from the recent one in a lot of aspects and this make me not feel bad about the repetition. Mars always do things like this to make Yun Che have important meetings while making people close to him have some development of themselves alone or at least have a development of their situation while Yun Che isn't there to resolve all these. Also, Yun Che always get a lot of enemies stronger than him and they always want to kill him. This thing of "dying and returning" is needed to make Yun Che's current life to be different from the last. If he didn't die so many times, his life would be summarized to run and getting his relatives hunted down and killed or used to coerce him. Just by "dying" a lot of problems are solved, and is amusing to see him returning, no matter how many times it happens.

In Xianxias' world, power is the most important thing. There are always sects and clans striving for power and influence, getting the respect and the awe of the masses. When these sects and clans want to reveal their strength, they will obviously use their younger generation, in order to keep their hidden cards without reveal that much about their actual current strength. In ATG, what they use to show their strength is tournaments, so it's reasonable that there will be lots of tournaments happening, and Yun Che will participate in a lot of them, winning all of them, making people surprised due to his apparent low cultivation level. No reason to complain about it.

Anyway, to me, calling things like this "repetitive plots" is the same as saying that Yun Che making breakthroughs in his cultivation a lot of times is a repetitive plot.

It's not that people in Illusory Demon Realm are stupid. Yun Che had a better idea about Duke Ming's secret plots because he came from Profound Sky Continent, and learned from Yun Canghai things that people in Illusory Demon Realm didn't know, like the fact that Yun Canghai had been trapped right after he arrived at Profound Sky Continent. There were people like Yun Qinghong that had their suspicion but were helpless.