I am the only one whose the fifth gate bothers?

edited November 2016 in ISSTH Spoilers

There is something that really illogical. Each time he reach a top 100, the scenery change. But it’s a top, not a serie of trial. The first 53 could be very close in points and there could be a huge margin between the 123rd and the 124th. It gives people a position based on how well they did compared to others, not how far they went.
If the ninth was like that, it could be said that reaching the last guy gives acces to the top 10. But there is only 7 guys who reached it -> there would be blank positions in the top. Inversely, if 200 people reached the third step, they would all be classed between 800 and 900. It makes 200 people for 100 position.

Also, an other thing: once somebody understood the trial, wouldn’t it be very easy? I know that you are influenced, but still.

Comments

• edited November 2016
    the positions are based on everyone that ever took the test since it's creation so if no one ever does as well as the first person that took it their name would always be at the top. The 7 reaching the top 10 referred to the current generation in sects like this if the current generation can't surpass the previous the sect would be in decline. The way the tests are built every time someone gets a good position like the top ten the test gets a bit harder because to reach the top 10 you have to surpass the previous position holder so since meng hao is the fifth to get top 10 in all steles he is better than the previous 4 because his tests were harder and the sixth person to get top 10 in all the tests will be better than meng hao because their tests will be harder
  • the positions are based on everyone that ever took the test since it's creation so if no one ever does as well as the first person that took it their name would always be at the top. The 7 reaching the top 10 referred to the current generation in sects like this if the current generation can't surpass the previous the sect would be in decline. The way the tests are built every time someone gets a good position like the top ten the test gets a bit harder because to reach the top 10 you have to surpass the previous position holder so since meng hao is the fifth to get top 10 in all steles he is better than the previous 4 because his tests were harder and the sixth person to get top 10 in all the tests will be better than meng hao because their tests will be harder
    Not that the test will be harder its like first you need to lets say, do math, 2+2, then later it is 2+2+2, then later it is 2+2x2, so its not that the test get harder but that for you to surpass the older generation you need to be better than then, the way i understand reading your post is like you're saying the stone test is getting harder and harder and not that because the one before did it in level x the others in the future need to do better than the older generation to get better ranking.
  • the positions are based on everyone that ever took the test since it's creation so if no one ever does as well as the first person that took it their name would always be at the top. The 7 reaching the top 10 referred to the current generation in sects like this if the current generation can't surpass the previous the sect would be in decline. The way the tests are built every time someone gets a good position like the top ten the test gets a bit harder because to reach the top 10 you have to surpass the previous position holder so since meng hao is the fifth to get top 10 in all steles he is better than the previous 4 because his tests were harder and the sixth person to get top 10 in all the tests will be better than meng hao because their tests will be harder
    Not that the test will be harder its like first you need to lets say, do math, 2+2, then later it is 2+2+2, then later it is 2+2x2, so its not that the test get harder but that for you to surpass the older generation you need to be better than then, the way i understand reading your post is like you're saying the stone test is getting harder and harder and not that because the one before did it in level x the others in the future need to do better than the older generation to get better ranking.
    yes and no these are physical tests so they do get harder instead of math consider it like holding your breath the first guy held for 10 seconds so the next guy needs to hold his for 11 then 12 and so on another example would be weight lifting the first lifted 200kg the next 250 and the next 300 the tests get harder because they need to physically surpass the ones before the more times the top ranking changes the harder it gets to place in the top 10 meng hao got to the old man by beating the multiplying mooks that test could get harder by increasing how many mooks you have to fight before reaching the old man and if you reach the old man at this increased difficulty he increases the strength he puts into his 3 blows thus getting into the top 10 in that test becomes harder as more people reach the old man. these tests are designed that the higher you climb the more you change the difficulty for example if no one manages to get into the top 20 for a long time but lots of people get a rank above 30 the difficulty to get a rank between 21-30 increases but the level of difficulty to get into the top 20 stays the same.
    yes and no these are physical tests so they do get harder instead of math consider it like holding your breath the first guy held for 10 seconds so the next guy needs to hold his for 11 then 12 and so on another example would be weight lifting the first lifted 200kg the next 250 and the next 300 the tests get harder because they need to physically surpass the ones before the more times the top ranking changes the harder it gets to place in the top 10 meng hao got to the old man by beating the multiplying mooks that test could get harder by increasing how many mooks you have to fight before reaching the old man and if you reach the old man at this increased difficulty he increases the strength he puts into his 3 blows thus getting into the top 10 in that test becomes harder as more people reach the old man. these tests are designed that the higher you climb the more you change the difficulty for example if no one manages to get into the top 20 for a long time but lots of people get a rank above 30 the difficulty to get a rank between 21-30 increases but the level of difficulty to get into the top 20 stays the same.
    i get the meaning it is just that reading the first post what i get is that you for example the first person get to hold his breath for 10s the next person for him to hold his breath for 10s will be harder, but in truth it is not harder it is just he need to hold his breath longer.

i get you its just that the way you have explained it was a little confusing.

this is the confusing part:"so since meng hao is the fifth to get top 10 in all steles he is better than the previous 4 because his tests were harder and the sixth person to get top 10 in all the tests will be better than meng hao because their tests will be harder" 

i get the meaning of what you wanted to say but reading what you said i get another :p 

• I don't think it's the case. The old man in the 9th gate said that only 4 people reached him (I was wrong, I thought it was 7). So it means that nobody else reached him except these 4. So we can assume that the difficulty is fixed. Same for the first gate, there is a bottom, so it means the maximum is fixed.

And to prove that the 5th gate is illogical: Godmaster said that everybody that reached the top 10 experiences something different. The previous 10th is now 11th. If somebody do better than him but worst than MH, he will be the new 11th. But since he didn't reach the top 10, he will not experience the special event. But the now 12th has experienced it, since he was 10th or better when he did it. So somebody better than him went less far in the test. Illogical isn't it?
  • it is illogical but this type of thing need to be read with a grain of salt, he tried to make everything beautiful but in the logical side it does not work even in life is this way some times sentiments win over logical facts...

anyway just read with a grain of salt, it would probably be better if he explained that every place has a milestone, but since er gen wanted to make something beautiful and easy to understand he made it that MH is seems climbing the places like a race car, maybe it was easier to write this way dont know but i agree that these stone stele for me i just give up trying to understand then when i see the explanation about then, and later when he was in the faith in the sect thing...
  • Ovnidemon said:
    I don't think it's the case. The old man in the 9th gate said that only 4 people reached him (I was wrong, I thought it was 7). So it means that nobody else reached him except these 4. So we can assume that the difficulty is fixed. Same for the first gate, there is a bottom, so it means the maximum is fixed.

And to prove that the 5th gate is illogical: Godmaster said that everybody that reached the top 10 experiences something different. The previous 10th is now 11th. If somebody do better than him but worst than MH, he will be the new 11th. But since he didn't reach the top 10, he will not experience the special event. But the now 12th has experienced it, since he was 10th or better when he did it. So somebody better than him went less far in the test. Illogical isn't it?
    just because their is an end doesn't mean the difficulty is fixed like i said before in the ninth gate the difficulty is reaching the old man then taking if 3 blows as more people reach him they can increase the difficult reaching him and he can increase the difficulty of himself appropriately as for the first gate once again just because it has a bottom doesn't mean the difficulty is fixed meng hao was only at the bottom for a small amount of time but since he was the first to reach this depth he gets first place now in order to overtake him in the ranking someone not only needs to reach the bottom they need to stay there longer than meng hao did and the next person would need to stay even longer again. My original point was that the maximum difficulty is dictated not by the test itself but by the strongest person who takes it if the tests are taken by only weaklings the top spots will be filled with weak people who fail to even reach the ends of the test but as stronger people take the test the difficulty to get into the rankings increases similar to how our world records get harder to beat every time one is broken.

that's not accurate the Godmaster said that everybody experiences the stele itself differently not just the top 10 that is because the fifth test is one of faith so each person experiences a test of faith to the sect with the last one being a an ultimatum such as to destroy their own home in meng hao's case that was planet south haven  if fang wei had reached that point it would be planet east victory the contents of the test is always the same,"have faith in the sect above all else" how it is tested is different for each person making this both the easiest and the hardest gate because to get the first ranking all you have to do is listen to all the commands it gives and hardest because of what those commands are.
  • Sorry but you are wrong for the fifth stele, chapter 1077: It was at this point that Godmaster’s voice spoke into his ear: “Every person’s trial by fire in the fifth golden gate begins exactly the same way. However, those who reach the top 10 all experience different things….”

As for the difficulty, yes it's fixed. However it's like a arcade game, even if the difficulty doesn't change, you can gain more point that the first. As for your comparison if only weakling take the test: yes, if only weakling took a test, if a strone one comes he will be first and go way further than the others. But the test doesn't change it's difficulty because of that. If the difficulty changed, it would as if the first person who took the test encountered a rabbit at the beginning and the second person would encounter a dragon at the beginning. If the difficulty is fixed, it doesn't mean that there is a maximum of points, only that everybody goes through the same situation, with only minor difference.
  • Ovnidemon said:
    Sorry but you are wrong for the fifth stele, chapter 1077: It was at this point that Godmaster’s voice spoke into his ear: “Every person’s trial by fire in the fifth golden gate begins exactly the same way. However, those who reach the top 10 all experience different things….”

As for the difficulty, yes it's fixed. However it's like a arcade game, even if the difficulty doesn't change, you can gain more point that the first. As for your comparison if only weakling take the test: yes, if only weakling took a test, if a strone one comes he will be first and go way further than the others. But the test doesn't change it's difficulty because of that. If the difficulty changed, it would as if the first person who took the test encountered a rabbit at the beginning and the second person would encounter a dragon at the beginning. If the difficulty is fixed, it doesn't mean that there is a maximum of points, only that everybody goes through the same situation, with only minor difference.
    comparing the test difficulty to an arcade game is flawed because even before the first person plays the game has a fixed max score while the difficulty of the stone steles might not increase the difficulty to reach the higher positions will similar to world records everytime someone breaks a world record that record becomes harder to beat the stele tests are the same way
  • edited November 2016

comparing the test difficulty to an arcade game is flawed because even before the first person plays the game has a fixed max score while the difficulty of the stone steles might not increase the difficulty to reach the higher positions will similar to world records everytime someone breaks a world record that record becomes harder to beat the stele tests are the same way
    Euuuuh, I don't know for you but for most of arcade games, the max score is not reachable. The difficulty after a point is so much that nobody can reach it. (Proof, the highscore of Donkey Kong is still raising but very slowly). It's equivalent to world records that you speak of (Btw, there is a lot of world records concerning games). Same with the stele. If someone with the power of a paragon show up, the test will not be able to determine clearly his score, because the test has a limit of capacity. Plus you say that there isn't max score: First stele: there is a bottom, so if somebody can reach the bottom and don't have difficulty with it: maximum depth with infinite time.

Finally, is english your first language? Sorry, I don't want to offend you, but there is a lot of sentences that are really hard to understand.