Original Stories Rules!

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Excuse me, but may I ask a stupid question? (Assuming I may, here it goes:) What's the actual limit/restriction on PG-13 violent scenes? I can't seem to find the details of the regulations in Google. "There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence." is pretty too vague, and it's about films, not books. I mean, how is a scene considered too violent or graphic? I know that it's about using words and how much you can leave out from the narrative and up to the reader's imagination, but I'll be a bit more relieved if there's something I can use as a guideline. Like in my novel, there's a scene (probably) where
     someone eats a corpse.
    Does being PG-13 mean it shouldn't be too bloody?

A bullet-type list stating all the NOs and DONTS would be pretty handy. 
    The meat jelly is watching you.
  • I will continue to be a bit ambiguous but attempt to answer you =D Put it in spoiler just in case ;D

If your character has to eat the corpse for survival and you simply say he has to eat it, it should be fine. If you give gory details on how he eats the entrails, that would be mature. really depends on how detailed you will want to get. even describing how he eats a hand and how revolting and traumatizing that is would be very close to, if not, mature.

same should go for sex. saying sex exists is not mature, giving details of how your character is having sex would be. if you read ATG or MGA those would be borderline mature, in my opinion anyway. you can simply say the character spent a passionate night with a lady of the night.... most of us should understand what that means.

so in short, it's all about the details. the more detailed you are, the higher the age rating. thats all I got for you.

• Oooh~ Thanks, FoxGhost! That's cleared it up a bit, though I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a bullet-list No's and Don'ts. ^^
    The meat jelly is watching you.
  • well....i do a little writing too...but it has a little sex scene ....
    it's not that detailed though ....just " pressing down, moaning and thumping " stuff....
    think...i can post it here...???t
  • edited December 2015
    Samiul404 said:

well....i do a little writing too...but it has a little sex scene ....
    it's not that detailed though ....just " pressing down, moaning and thumping " stuff....
    think...i can post it here...???t

Check out Tale of Vjaira. That story has descriptive sex scenes, though they are put into spoilers with a clear warning before the chapter starts. So, it is completely up to the reader whether or not they want to read it.
  • need help on here I posted a chapter for my story and point the spoiler thing so my story would not take like the whole page yet even though it shows spoiler it does not collapse my chapter so not sure how to fix.
    Follow my story on RRL or on my site TrinityMage hope you enjoy the adventure!
  • edited December 2015
    Yeah I had that trouble too, I know I have to put the spoiler tags but for some reason it never works. If there's a way to fix this please tell us.
  • edited December 2015
    Wrong thread to be asking that, though. ;)
    If you'd like more chapters of ISSI or Tales send me a note on patreon!
  • The meat jelly is watching you.
  • edited December 2015
    Oscblade said:

need help on here I posted a chapter for my story and point the spoiler thing so my story would not take like the whole page yet even though it shows spoiler it does not collapse my chapter so not sure how to fix.

[     spoiler] and then at the end

[/    spoiler] (no spaces obviously if you are doing it right, I am not sure :(
  • Oscblade said:

need help on here I posted a chapter for my story and point the spoiler thing so my story would not take like the whole page yet even though it shows spoiler it does not collapse my chapter so not sure how to fix.

[     spoiler] and then at the end

[/    spoiler] (no spaces obviously if you are doing it right, I am not sure :(
    so I did that the right way yet for chapter 5 of my story it just does not work I dont know if its because my chapter is to long or what. But thanks for the help!
    Follow my story on RRL or on my site TrinityMage hope you enjoy the adventure!
  • edited December 2015
    Hi guys. I am going to write explicit sex scenes in the future with my book. I know Rem said try to keep pg13, but I can't. I wish to make sexual scenes when the time is right, obviously this is something extremely far in the future.

My book is extremely mature content. I was wondering what is your take on the writing of sexual scenes? Do you guys think it is off putting? Maybe its a nice addition?

I am not looking to make people sexually aroused when reading my book but it pretains to my MCs view on females in this world and how he sees them (its nothing bad or degrading, I would never write anything degrading aboyt women. However, this is needed in my point of view and will make sense when it is explained) so it will make the reader understand his actions when he is intimiate with another female.

Obviously no female will be mistreated and lowered to the status of sex doll or men being known for their sexual encounter.

I feel I can write a romance deeper through their actions when being intimiate and making it deeper by explaining why mc does what he does. Also explain their interactions after a scene or meeting mich better and deeper. Please let me know what you guys think.
  • edited December 2015

Hi guys. I am going to write explicit sex scenes in the future with my book. I know Rem said try to keep pg13, but I can't. I wish to make sexual scenes when the time is right, obviously this is something extremely far in the future.

My book is extremely mature content. I was wondering what is your take on the writing of sexual scenes? Do you guys think it is off putting? Maybe its a nice addition?

I am not looking to make people sexually aroused when reading my book but it pretains to my MCs view on females in this world and how he sees them (its nothing bad or degrading, I would never write anything degrading aboyt women. However, this is needed in my point of view and will make sense when it is explained) so it will make the reader understand his actions when he is intimiate with another female.

Obviously no female will be mistreated and lowered to the status of sex doll or men being known for their sexual encounter.

I feel I can write a romance deeper through their actions when being intimiate and making it deeper by explaining why mc does what he does. Also explain their interactions after a scene or meeting mich better and deeper. Please let me know what you guys think.

To me, its fine if you write explicit sex scenes, I mean like some series already have those incorporated into it. They usually have it within spoiler tags and warn the reader ahead of time. Or they put a link that brings them to another website.  Personally I don't mind it if it helps with character development and gives us a more deeper understanding, but if its a hit and run...then I find it bad.
  • edited December 2015
    Loetrip said:

To me, its fine if you write explicit sex scenes, I mean like some series already have those incorporated into it. They usually have it within spoiler tags and warn the reader ahead of time. Or they put a link that brings them to another website.  Personally I don't mind it if it helps with character development and gives us a more deeper understanding, but if its a hit and run...then I find it bad.

Yes, no it won't be hit and run. Deep relationship. MC saves this almost damaged female because of his special situation (later explained) bur their souls are joined through this treatment process which only happened to a few couples (meant to be sort of situation) and because their joined through the treatment process it is through their Qi and Blood. And in this world when males cultivate they feel sexually aroused the females are much stronger than males in that regard.

Her being a female in a world where she has been alone and always people being polite to her and not approaching her she wants a confident/aggressive man to take charge and give her what she doesn't know she wants.

The mcs views go deeper from his mom being a slave to how some women are treated in districts they sell their bodies for money because the males need some form of release as I mentioned the Qi makes them susceptible to dirty thoughts..

Thanks anyway
    I shouldn't post anymore end up writing my book here. LOL
  • What are the codes we can use here except the [ spoiler]? I can't seem to create windows or tables. :<
  • Hello Dragnor, we have been doing all chapters in a single thread. You can edit your original post at any time to change your thread name to show an updated chapter. that's how everyone has their chapter number and names up even though they only have one thread.
  • So are original stories going to be kept contained here? I know that Ren said standards would be really high, but I've seen a few stories worthy of promontion and have been proven to be consistent yet have stayed here.
  • edited January 2016
    jsghines said:

So are original stories going to be kept contained here? I know that Ren said standards would be really high, but I've seen a few stories worthy of promontion and have been proven to be consistent yet have stayed here.

Its just another platform to post on. Enjoy writing and don't worry to much about being on front page.
    Gravity tales frequently picks up writers, if you do well you could get an offer to post there.
  • jsghines said:

So are original stories going to be kept contained here? I know that Ren said standards would be really high, but I've seen a few stories worthy of promontion and have been proven to be consistent yet have stayed here.

Its just another platform to post on. Enjoy writing and don't worry to much about being on front page.
    Gravity tales frequently picks up writers, if you do well you could get an offer to post there.
    I didnt mean specifically for me, itd be nice but I just like to use this as a platform for people to see my work yaknow. I was just curious the status of actually being promoted. I guess a little part thought it would be cool, but yeah.

• It's been quite some time since the announcement started. I was just wondering if this is something still being looked at. I know that the original novel quality will have to be of top quality, but will there be any ideas or comments, even guidelines, to know if a novel we created reaches the quality needed to be publish. I've seen some other people novel's in the forum and there are some that I quite liked. So I was wondering if there will be an announcement of some sort. In gravity tales website, in the recruitment bar, there were basic criteria's for an original novel and the authors can give an application form. I thought that it would be nice to have that here also.

It would be great to have some feedback on this announcement.

• It would be great to have some feedback on this announcement.
    Yes, that. Has this project been scrapped or something of the sort? :(
  • Is the project of getting original stories on the front page still ongoing? 

I hope so as I love what I've read so far at gravity tales. I'd imagine the community here is bigger, so there may be more incentive for ppl to work on their stories. 
  • RWX,

Hello, I'm not sure if you have already addressed this, but you have mentioned a key phrase that has made me wonder. 'if the genre is suitable'. What is suitable entail?

I know this is wuxiaworld. Does that mean there must be cultivation in the stories. I have one that I am working on, but I don't want to update it on this forum if it wont be considered as it does not having cultivation.

It is fantasy. It has martial-arts and the like. 

Can you enlighten me?
  • That only applies if you are aiming for the front page. Posting stories of any genre on the forums is totally ok. :)
  • I think j-mitch means he won't post on here if it won't be eligible for front page haha
  • Ah, you are right, I was too tired when reading his post to notice >.>

@j-mitch You should probably PM Ren if you want to get a response, he is unlikely to check this thread.
  • I do wish Ren would clarify some things here :P
  • Is it too shameless if I want to share a link to RRL of my fiction in this forum? 
  • Is it too shameless if I want to share a link to RRL of my fiction in this forum? 
    If you still post your full novel on wuxia world, it should be fine. If you are planning on just doing one post for your novel which has a link to RRL to have everyone read on RRL instead, then no. That is not allowed.
  • Hi, My name is as you see, but in honesty it's a little more bibleish. anyhow I'd like to make a kind request. 

I just started a new blog on wordpress myself, and I wondered if it would be okay to post the prequel on the site here as well, but to place the link to my own site on the end of it, and maybe, knowing my contributions mean almost nothing to nothing at the moment, put your link on my site as a (forgot the terminology) companion site? 

if you're okay with this please do tell so, if not I have another compensation that you might agree more with.

Story: The story is a other world story, fantasy setting. multi dimensional story with the main character being from the origin dimension a murderer who seeks nothing but freedom but gets sucked up into a world of adventure as he seeks the power to give that will give him the truest sense of freedom. 

if it interest you, I would love to hear your opinion. I have to say it works with an original magic system and thus has nothing of leveling, but more aptitude and curses.