Awls as weapons?

Friends, 

I think that this is the third or fourth time that I've come across "Magic Awls" as weapons. To me an Awl is simply a rather robust version of an Ice Pick—usually with fatter handles. Awls with wooden grips shaped like a door knob are also common. Does the word "Awl" have a somewhat different meaning to the Chinese? I mean I suppose anything might serve as a weapon if it was supercharged—but one doesn't read of "Devine Grade" Saws, Planes and Claw-Hammers…

Saxon Violence

Comments

• I don't really know, but I assume it is similar to needles being used as a weapon, or even scythes. Both were used as ordinary items, but could possibly be used as a weapon.
    Btw, care to mention the stories?
  • edited June 2016
    I rather see that compared to horsetail wisks. At least with an awl, it can stab, poke, or fly at people The wisk on the other hand, well you pretty much just wisk it or flick it and magical things happens to opponent.
  •  

'Awl' is also an alternative name for an ahlspiess; a spear-like weapon mainly used in 15thand 16th century Germany and Austria. The shape of the weapon resembles that of the tool. 

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahlspiess

Best I can think off.

• I think that this is the third or fourth time that I've come across "Magic Awls" as weapons. To me an Awl is simply a rather robust version of an Ice Pick—usually with fatter handles. Awls with wooden grips shaped like a door knob are also common.

An awl is a tool used in sewing and leatherwork that can easily be used as a weapon: it has a comfortable handle and a stabbity point.

If you have a mystical tool that can puncture the hide of magical beasts that is used to make near-impervious mystical armor, why not repurpose the tool as a weapon against less impressive defenses? Especially if it also has other combat useful magical properties, such as being self-guiding, besides being really really sharp.

• I can see assassins liking these kind of items as they are sharp stab so as long as you don't go for the throats and just stab this is better than a knife.
  • an awl from what i know is like a spear having a long shaft with a blade at the end. pretty much what jason said.
  • I imagine that those awls in novels are more like much larger needles, as i've noticed it being much more popular as throwing weapon
  • edited August 2016
    I sincerely doubt they are talking about the German weapon in most cases since most of the stories I have read have used mostly traditional Chinese weapons.
    But it might help you to visualise it people attacking with flying awls if you were to find out for example, not all awls have handles, which is true. So basically most of the time I just assume they are just attacking with a big ol' metal spike.
  • Actually before anyone points out that some of those stories use 'halberd' (once again I assume this because otherwise it would feel out of place) I am pretty sure they are talking about Chinese halberds or 'ji' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ji_(polearm)