can anyone suggest a good fast paced action/strategy/mystery novel

edited February 2016 in General Novel Discussions
I'm a big Sherlock fan, and love the thriller and mystery genre, and as i just got prescribed rest for a month at home, I'm thinking of picking up a fast-paced wuxia/xianxia. Would prefer if its big on the mind games and deductions, and preferably with an MC who use brains and find different ways to deal with a situation other then just beating the shit out of everything or train until he is able to beat the shit out of everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Ugh, first of all, I wish you a safe recovery, and second of all... those two things you're looking for don't go hand-in-hand.

"Mind games, deductions and mysteries" aren't fast-paced, they last for hundreds of chapters. Furthermore, fast-paced themes usually revolve around the exact same thing you dislike -- ruthless MCs with no brains that just beat the shit out of everything.

Now, as for the recommendations — I suggest you check out ISSTH, if you haven't read it already. It's NOT fast-paced, the mysteries in it get unraveled extremely slowly, to the point where that takes hundreds upon hundreds of chapters, but... Dude, if you're truly the 'Big Sherlock' you said you are, then this is the novel for you, haha. I could write another 10 chapters describing why you should give it a try, but I don't really have the time, and I 'assume' you're already reading ISSTH, like all of us... So! What you should do is tell us what you're currently reading and/or have read. :)
  • Have u ever read Detective Conan?
    Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
  • If you're looking for mysteries, you are better off watching anime or reading manga. Xianxia and wuxia really aren't going in this direction anytime soon~ ;)
    If you'd like more chapters of ISSI or Tales send me a note on patreon!
  • Ugh, first of all, I wish you a safe recovery, and second of all... those two things you're looking for don't go hand-in-hand. 
    Thanks for the wishes man :smiley: 

Have u ever read Detective Conan?
    I have read Conan up till ch 903, and was actually looking for something like that(not exactly the plot but the MC) in Xianxia/Wuxia settings

I think I should have done this in the very beginning, anyway the novels which I have read/currently reading are as follows:
    [THE KIND I REALLY LOVE]
    DESOLATE ERA 
    TRUE MARTIAL WORLD
    ISSTH
    TALE OF GODS AND DEMONS
    THE GREAT RULER
    COILING DRAGON
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    [THE OTHERS I READ WHEN I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO]
    AGAINST THE GOD
    SYWZ
    WDQK
    MARTIAL GOD ASURA
    CLOSE COMBAT MAGE
    LONG LIVE SUMMONS
    DOP
    DD
    PEERLESS MARTIAL GOD
    STELLAR TRANSFORMATION
    SWALLOWED STAR 
    CHAOTIC SWORD GOD(DROPPED)
    PERFECT WORLD(DROPPED)
    CHILD OF LIGHT(DROPPED)

Also, I would like to ask if there is any novel where MC is like Shiba Tatsuya(Not necessary that op, but cold and calculating)

• @Lord I think that perhaps Warlock of the Magus World might suit your taste. The MC is cold and calculating, give it a try, I think that you will come to enjoy it – if now haven’t read it yet! ^.^ :)

Website Link: http://omatranslations.com/

• @Lord I think that perhaps Warlock of the Magus World might suit your taste. The MC is cold and calculating, give it a try, I think that you will come to enjoy it – if now haven’t read it yet! ^.^ :)

Website Link: http://omatranslations.com/

thanks, going to give it a read right now :smile: 

I would not consider this fast-paced at all.
    I would not consider this fast-paced at all.
    He never said it had to be all of them.

Read Transcending the Nine Heavens or Otherworldly Evil Monarch.

Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
  • Also, DC rocks. Who is Rum? Anyone have a guess. Since it can't be the obvious police chief and has to be someone you'd never expect, my guess is an unintroduced character that is put in without u realizing it.
  • unfortunately there are very few mystery type xianxia stories because of how xianxia works. the only ones i can think of right now that can count are 'transcending the nine heavens' and ISSTH. of course there are a number 'intellectual' types, such as True martial world and immortal executioner but they all tend to degrade later as the powers scale up. (not sure about these 2 those as one isn't even finished and the other i haven't read spoilers for)

unless you can read the raws i don't really have anything to recommend since everything that i know of is only at most 200-300 chapters translated and that could be finished in 2-3 days for a slow reader. but if you want a story that has lots strategy, then try 'decent of the phoenix.' although i'm kinda avoiding it right now but the 140 chapters i've read have been very good so far. but this story i think is wuxia instead of xianxia. (i haven't seen any magic or flying people or immortals)
  • for strategy novel I suggest Conquest and Transcending the nine heavens good strategy and nice MC
  • http://mike777ac.com/hardcore-op-ness/

Not it a lot of strategy or xianxia but it's got a lot of action and hilarity. 
  • Visit novelupdates.com its like a site for all the links for light novel you can also search for the top light novel in there.
  • Yeah, Chinese WNs aren't the way you want to go. That's not a genre that's very popular. You're better off with LNs in that respect. If you're willing to take that route, I'd highly, highly recommend Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. Gekkou is a one-off novella with a lighter tone, but it's really good too.

If you're willing to read English fiction, then your options are much better. Here's a few off the top of my head. I'd strongly recommend The Rook, Cuckoo's Calling (the first of JK Rowling's pennamed mystery series; don't read the rest, they suck), Agatha Christie's stuff (but I imagine you've read them already; if not, the Hercule Poirot books + And Then There Were None), and finally S (you need a hardcopy for this one, but it's fantastic and wonderfully unique, to say the least). 
  • Hiyono said:
    Yeah, Chinese WNs aren't the way you want to go. That's not a genre that's very popular. You're better off with LNs in that respect. If you're willing to take that route, I'd highly, highly recommend Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. Gekkou is a one-off novella with a lighter tone, but it's really good too.

If you're willing to read English fiction, then your options are much better. Here's a few off the top of my head. I'd strongly recommend The Rook, Cuckoo's Calling (the first of JK Rowling's pennamed mystery series; don't read the rest, they suck), Agatha Christie's stuff (but I imagine you've read them already; if not, the Hercule Poirot books + And Then There Were None), and finally S (you need a hardcopy for this one, but it's fantastic and wonderfully unique, to say the least). 
    Apparently it's just the Chinese WNs you have read so far aren't the way OP want to go.
    For OP's requirement I suggest "Terror Infinity", "Terror Paradise" and "Jiang Ye".
  • I concur with some of the colleagues before me, Transcending the Nine Heavens's probably the best pick from those chinese novels I've been reading so far
  • Reincarnator is a league above most other stories and so far it is pretty much non stop pressure and action (but well planned out).
  • edited March 2016
    In English, you might consider checking out Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. They're full of mystery and strategy, and Jack Reacher is a super badass MC. (I almost didn't read them because of that crappy Tom Cruise movie version, but thankfully I gave the books a shot, because they rock.) They do become a little formula after a while, but the first book is amazing.

I also have a weird recommendation. (Although maybe not so weird for here!) There's a old German serial novel series called Perry Rhodan which actually fits your criteria in a Sci-fi way. The basic premise is that Perry is an American astronaut who finds a crashed alien starship on the moon, and then decides that he needs to do two things:
    1) Unite the Earth (he lives during the Cold War era of the 1960's)
    2) Beef up humanity in case more aliens come looking.

And he's going to do it using all the advanced alien tech he's gotten his hands on from the alien Starship. How he does this is actually a really entertaining story, and in German the Perry Rhodan serial is still running. You can find English translations of the first 120 or so books (not chapters, books) floating around online. 

Rob

• edited March 2016
    Hiyono said:
    Yeah, Chinese WNs aren't the way you want to go. That's not a genre that's very popular. You're better off with LNs in that respect. If you're willing to take that route, I'd highly, highly recommend Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.
    Came here to recommend this.

Umineko no Naku koro ni, Higurashi no naku koro ni (the visual novels) and Rokka no yuusha (novel) are some others I'd recommend.
  • best mystery ones i know ranked in descending order
    law of the devil 
    joy of life 
    way of choices(slow paced but a gem )
    sage transcending samsara 
    lord of the mysteries(the best you can see in a novel) 
    KINGDOMS BLOODLINE(its on the level of a printed books ,the greatest novel i have ever read ,a bit slow ,just read 20 chs then you wont stop ,he remains a 7 yr old kid for 200 chs ,so filled with politics)