The shackles of destiny [V2 Ch14 released] [V2 Ch15 on my Wordpress]

edited February 2016 in Original Stories

The shackles of destiny

What is the meaning of power?

Is it to be able to protect those dear?
Is it to be unrestrained and frivolous?
Is it to be the judge over life and death?
Is is to be respected and worshiped?

One’s star is one’s future, evolve one’s star and evolve oneself to reach the pinnacle of strength!

Follow Philip on his journey to the summit of cultivators and discover the earth-shaking secrets hidden within his bloodline.

Here is my webpage: https://westernxianxianovels.wordpress.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a sixteen year old guy from Sweden. I started this project a couple of weeks ago. I made myself an oath to publish at least 7 chapters a week. Some weeks it might be less and some might be more. Well, I hope you'll enjoy the ride!

Ps. I'm not from an english speaking country so don't expect flawless english. It's also my first novel.

Volume 1 Chapter 1

Volume 1 Chapter 1

*Smack*

“Kiddo, no dawdling when training!” A gigantic man, similar to a brute screamed at him obviously displeased.

“I’m sorry sir! Please forgive me!” The kid said in an innocent tone, seemingly not understanding what he had done wrong. 

The kid had brown colored hair, similar to the color of a hazelnut, and blue eyes like the sky, clear like a ice cold pond in the night. His face had a beautiful yet strong and firm outline. The kid would surely grow up to become a lady killer. He wore basic training garments, same as everyone else given out by the instructor.

The instructor started yet again to explain the basics to those who didn’t get it, paying no heed to the little kid’s answer.

“Kids! This is a very important step in your cultivation, to connect with your own star you first need refine your body so it can handle the pressure from the connection.” he said in a serious tone. 

“Now, give me thirty push-ups!” he continued as a wide grin spread across his face.

The bunch of kids cursed inside but could only obey as per their parent’s orders to train under the instructor and to follow his commands.

The day was coming to its end and Philip was walking his way back home. His muscles were sore and he had an annoying headache from the instructor’s loud speaking, well, yelling to be exact.

“Mom, I’m home.” he said while going into the front door.

“Welcome back home sweetie, did you have a fun day today?” Inside the home, he was greeted by his mother who hurriedly walked forward and gave him warm big hug

“Yeah… I suppose so” he replied while looking rather distant.

They lived in a village north of the capital in the country of canoi. Their village was ruled by the Firecloud sect and it was a great honor if one could become a discipline of the sect.

To become a disciple, you had to pass a trial. To come and take the test in the trial you had to be at the very least ten years of age.

They had this, according to some villagers, Weird-looking stone or that could measure what star you got and rank kr something, he doesn't know really well.

If one was to become a firecloud sect discipline, he or she would be handed out a pill which boosted their training efficiency. 

He had no clue if it was only age they were testing since the village wasn’t exactly a popular traveling place for outsiders. 

The village was rather isolated except for some connection with the firecloud sect now and then.

Of course, passing or not is not something for someone of five years age to be concerned about. 

Philip’s dad was a worker in a farm in the village, that’s what happens when you don’t pass the test, you have to work with ordinary professions such as farmer. Living your life dull and grey without adventures and experiences. 

Philip absolutely didn’t want that, he wanted to become someone of great magnitude. 

His goal was to become a person who could do anything he wanted without restraint. Whilst It may sound childish, it was his dream. 

He felt something lacking with the training under the instructor. Maybe he needs to train differently or elsewhere. He had no clue of what it was, maybe it was intuition or instinct.

“Well, whatever” he thought, he has to follow the wishes of his parents who raised him.

…….

The next day he went to the instructor again to yet again slave under th–

*Ahem* 

“... train diligently” 

Suddenly as everyone were training their body according the commands given to them by the instructor, screams and huge noises were heard nearby in the village.

…….

Everyone ran out to see what had happened but they were met with something horrifying.

In the village which was supposed to be bustling with happy people, blood was flowing on the ground and body parts were all over the place. 

Vile creatures were lurking on the ground savoring human flesh.

The instructor had come out before them to see the horrible vision and quickly screamed “Quick! Go inside and hide in the basement!!”

The kids, even if they were young, understood that this was a matter of life and death and sprinted back into the building towards the basement.

Meanwhile, the instructor sighed loudly and as he released a dazzling light. 

The instructor was actually an elder from the firecloud sect here to teach the children. 
But, even if he was he teaching children, he was by no means a weakling.

The dazzling light converged and formed a ball of light similar to a star in the air over him.”

The creatures, by instinct, felt fear from the man. They immediately tried to retreat but it was to late, the dazzling star shot out bolts of light which pierced the creatures.

“For a couple of lesser shadow lurkers to attack a village in broad daylight, truly out of the ordinary.” He murmured as he drew the light back into his body. 

He thought it was very weird for lesser shadow lurkers to attack in daylight since their strength was diminished from coming into contact with sunshine.

“Let’s see how many people died in this attack.” he continued as he walked around and counted the dead, or what was left of them at least.

…….

Philip as well as the others were hiding in the basement waiting for someone to get them.

“What if everyone have died?” Said a weak-looking guy whose face was a mess, tears streaming down, and snot coming out from his noose.

Nobody could blame him though, the kids were not old and were very worried about their parents and, if they had, siblings.

“Don't think like that, brute is strong!” A strong-built kid said. The kid was one of the stronger one in the group and understood that he had to Call down everyone.

“Exactly.” Another one said

“Let’s just sit down and wait, we can’t do anything with our measly strength either way” 
The strong-built kid continued.

Philip cursed himself inwardly for not having practiced enough. He felt like an ant who could be crushed by practically anything at any moment.

…….

And after what seemed like an endless wait the basement, the door was opened.

“Come out now kids, the danger is over.”
A strong yet familiar voice sounded in their ears.

The group immediately thought of their instructor and rushed towards the stairs to climb out from the horizontal door.

When they came out after walking through the building they were met with a foul stench of blood. 

Some of the kids puked right after they smelled the stench.

“Be strong, stay firm.” Philip thought to himself and gritted his teeth hoping that his parents were okay and that they were not wounded or worse.

“Come with me, this is something you have to get used to, cultivation is not fair or just.” He said 

“The law of the jungle is and has always been that the strong prey on the weak. The weak are only fodder for the strong and if you want to become strong you need to accept your situation as weak and become strong!” He continued. 

“Now, go find your parents dead or alive” he ordered them and walked away to report to the sect about what had transpired.

…….

Philip ran as fast as his legs could carry him towards their house. It was less than a kilometer so he quickly arrived.

“N-n-nooo!! P-p-pplease it c-can't be t-true!”

He screamed as he saw two piles of flesh resembling his parents.

Philip fell down on his knees, tears flowing out like a waterfall as he screamed.

“W-w-why! WHYYYY!!” He continued to scream as his mind slowly succumbed to the darkness as everything went blank.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Volume 1 chapter 2

Volume 1 Chapter 2

*Five years later*

His appearance had changed very much these years both as he aged and of his tragic experience. His eyes were still blue like the sky and similar to a cold pond in the night however it excluded something more, something deep. Almost as if something was hidden in the pond, deep deep down.

He thought back to what happened those years ago:

He slowly opened his eyelids and took a breath of fresh air. He is at… Well, he doesn't know where he is.

*Door opens*

A woman in her early forties came in with a tray off, what it looked like, breakfast.
    The breakfast was simple – bread made by wheat as well as a glas of milk, probably cow milk. 

“Oh… You seem to have woken up.”
    The woman said gently while she sat down beside him on the straw bed. 

She was very beautiful. Her black silk-like hair perfectly suited for her delicate yet mature features. Her eyes, as alluring as her body, became soft when she looked at the boy.

“How do you feel?” The woman asked even more gently than before.

“I’m fi–”

“...M-m-my p-parents? They are…?” Philip asked while looking very pale. His body trembling, tears slowly coming down from his face.

The woman immediately lunged forward and hugged him, trying to comfort him to her best. 

She didn't say anything, only holding him tight in her arms and letting him cry with all his might. Not wanting to make him feel worse, not that it was possible though.

After a very long time he gradually stopped crying. He had no tears left, the sorrow and grief in his heart was unimaginable. 

“Can...can I have a moment for myself?” He said with a crispy voice full of emotions.

“Yes, of course, take your time.” The woman had a sad look on her face as she walked out of the room and closed the door.

Philip’s state of mind was in turmoil. A mix of emotions bubbled up inside of him. Sorrow, anger, grief. He felt weak.

He sat on the bed for a long time, just thinking as he stared into the wall.

His blue eyes, filled with determination. On that day he made an oath to himself, he would become strong. Strong enough to topple the mountains and wreck the seven seas. Strong enough to deliver judgment to those who deserved it and help the innocent.

Philip was now nearly ten years. He was full of anticipation towards his awakening. 
    What kind of star would he get. Would he be able to get a high rank star? 
    He was so excited so that he couldn’t help but tremble, nearly losing his concentration as he was balancing himself on the rocky cliff doing weight training.

By the way, all stars are divided into ranks. The lowest being rank 1 and the highest being rank 10. Only a handful of cultivators in history have been recorded as rank ten’s. It was a silly dream, but he dreamed of getting one of the high ranked stars.

There were also different types of stars. In this world where science was a field of scorn, not much were known about what they looked upon every night. The countless of things in the night sky was things of mystery.

The only thing everyone knew was that every human went through the awakening at the age of 10 when laying his or her hands on a special bead to connected to one of the stars above. 

There was four types of stars one could get. 

The first one was simply called star type, just an ordinary star in the sky. 

The second type was called Sun type, this was one of the brighter stars in the sky and they were very rare. 

The third one was called planet type, this one was rarer than the previous two and even harder to awaken. The planet type had more potential to evolve and there was many secrets in them unknown to mankind.

The problem was, the rarer type you got, the less chance of getting a good rank.
    Many people who awakened a planet type, only got a low rank planet which wasn’t so strong.

The fourth type was the Asteroid. The asteroid is the most rare of them all. Not even one in a milion awakened it. No one knows why it’s named like that. The problem is, an asteroid is simply a rock. Nothing else is known about it except for it being TERRIBLY WEAK.
    No cultivator ever has been successful and gotten to a powerful stage with a asteroid type star. 

Ranks told how much potential of evolving the star had and the type about the power contained.

The test for joining the test is in three months. After the awakening in a couple of days he would try to get familiar with his star to be able to get a good score and join the sect. The better score he got, the better resources for cultivation would be given to him.

Not only would it give him better resources but it would also improve his standing in the sect.
    There were four layers in the sect available for disciplines. 

Since the death of his parents five years ago he was taken in by the beautiful woman who took care of him when he was devastated.

The beautiful woman’s name was Melinda and she was 41 years old. She had no kids and her husband was killed in the attack. The village has come to recall it as “The tragedy”. And there is still grief in the air from it.

Right now he was training his body, it is very important to build a good foundation. Similar to how a house can’t be build on a uneven cliff. A bad foundation will only lead to both internal and external damage when you use your star.

Until he got his star, he could only train his muscles to become stronger. But in a fight, does the opponent only attack your muscles? No. They try to attack your most vulnerable spot to to kill you.

Being awakened also meant that he would awaken his ability to train more of the body.
    For example, depending on which technique he would train in, different results it would yield.

If he for an example trained in a technique which focused on the bone structure and flesh, that where he would be very strong. Training in such techniques would however result in less muscle power. 

There are many techniques and one has to choose carefully since it is very annoying to change afterwards, since training the body is like building a tower, if the tower is made up out of different substances for every floor, how stable would it be? Would the substances fit together or would they crumble. Exactly, they would crumble.

…….

The couple of days went by very quickly as he continued to train. The day before his awakening the instructor came to pick him up and travel to the sect located in the capital, the sect is very powerful and is able to contend there.

The trip by foot took about six hours and they were there about the time for dinner. Brute, as he calls the instructor, took him to a tavern where they ate and then slept. 

In the morning they walked to the sect headquarters in the city. Philip was completely stunned at the view he got from walking in the city. However suddenly as he was walking beside brute, someone bumped into him. When he turned around he met a sight which made him speechles

• edited February 2016
    Volume 1 Chapter 3

Volume 2 Chapter 3

His eyes could not believe him. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Her delicate features, her black hair in a neat well made ponytail hanging down to her slim attractive waist. Her face didn’t look like anything he’d ever seen. The small cheekbones worked in perfect harmony with her sharp jaw and blue eyes.

“Hey you, country bumpkin, watch where you are going!” The girl said arrogantly and walked past him, seemingly going in the same direction as he was supposed to go if not for the unlucky accident.

Philip stood there shocked. What did he do? She was the one who walked into him and now she gets angry? What the heck just happened?

“Haha kiddo, welcome to the capital!” Said Brute as he could barely hold himself from going down to roll on the floor laughing. 

“What do you mean, brute?” Philip said innocently having no idea what had happened.

*Smack* 

“What have I told you about calling my brute kiddo, my name is Jarvan, you’d better learn it.”
    He said after he had smacked Philip in the head lightly.

“So sorry brute, I am so sorry” Philip said teasingly.

“You little rascal.... Never mind, let’s get going now or we will be late to the examinations”
    He said after sighing how resolute the kid was about his belief. If he wanted to call him brute, nothing in the world could stop him from doing it. He was very firm and determined.

As they got on their way they later, finally, made their way to the headquarters of Firecloud sect.

The headquarters was a district occupied by the sec in the western part of the capital.

As they made their way forward they were stopped by the disciplines on guard duty. The guard duty was only given to those with low cultivation or status in the sect. 

“State your name, status in the sect and what business you have here” the guard to the left said. He wore the basic firecloud sect outer discipline’s garment embroidered with fires in the cloud, trying to signify that fire could climb to the stars. 

“Jarvan firescope, elder.” Brute said to the guards. 

The guards immediately bowed to show their respect and let him and Philip pass without further inspection.

“Y-you are an elder?” Philip asked brute rather surprised not understanding why a cultivator of elder status in Firecloud city would stay in such a low-tier village teaching children basics.

“Haha, it was a long time I became an elder, this status still lets me pass through quickly without trouble, it comes very much in handy” he said jokingly as they continued in the direction to the examination halls.

“But would you stay in such a remote village if you’re a strong cultivator?” Philip asked curiously.

Upon hearing the question brute went quiet for a moment before answering with a voice filled with emotions.

“I did something I regret and failed my loved ones. I swore to myself to never cultivate again”. He said, sorrow present in his eyes.

Philip became quiet and stopped asking questions. He felt that brute didn't want to talk about the subject.

Finally they saw a big crowd walking in through the doors of the some kind of odd building.

Brute furrowed his brows, looking surprised and told Philip to hurry up as they joined up with the crowd walking in through the doors if the building.

After a couple of minutes after they came inside the building, the doors closed.

Everyone one to be tested was told to divide themselves in three lines.

“Good luck kiddo, let the cosmos be with you”
    Brute said with joy in his voice.

“Thanks Brute” Said Philip trembling with excitement even more than before when he was thinking about talking the sect.

He was told to go to the third line to get tested.

A resplendent light shone and a mighty voice could be heard throughout the hall.

“Rank 2, Type star, you failed!”

“Next” The voice said next

The light shone yet again, doing it every time someone was tested.

“Rank 3, type star, you failed!”

“Rank 2, type sun, you succeeded!”

…….

“Rank 1, type star, you failed!”

He was to go next until the voice suddenly trembled. “ Rank 5… T-t-type planet!”

The crowd was in a uproar. 

“The rise of a genius” 

“If only my daughter could have such a star!”

Philip hurried forward to see the so called genius.

He was shocked. It was the girl who bumped into him on the way to the headquarters. Her face was filled with pride and arrogance as she heard the crowd.

After the crowd had calmed itself down the voice said one again but in a more 
    excited voice: “Next”

Philip went forward filled with determination to get a good evaluation.

As he he went forward, he saw a small bead glimmering with different colors – similar to a rainbow. Behind it was an elderly man, apparently the owner of the mighty voice.
    “I suppose this is the mysterious bead which awakens one’s star when you put your hand on it” Philip thought to himself.

“Put your hand on it” The elderly man said.

Philip took a step forward and put his hand on the bead, bracing himself for the light, hoping for the best.”

“R-r-rank 10, Asteroid..” The elderly man said the first words with stutter but later got disappointed when he said “asteroid”. 

The crowd started to laugh.

“Asteroid… Haha, trash.

“Such a failure!”

Philip nearly fainted, asteroid? “

The beautiful girl started to laugh arrogantly as she said

“Pffft.. blaming the bead, the only thing worse than a failure is a failure who doesn’t understands he is a failure!” 

Philip’s face slowly turned devoid of color

“This, this… please re-test me, i can’t have an asteroid! Something has to be wrong with the bead!” He said with stutter, feeling completely helpless. Asteroid is the star type which no one wants, the type which no one can’t be successful with since it was very weak in its early stage and very hard to train in.

“Wrong with the test? You little kid, go back and suck on your mo–

Suddenly an even mightier voice was heard, echoing in the halls. The voice was filled with a strong aura but there was a tinge of anger hidden in it. 

“SHUT YOUR MOUTH” The voice said.

“Y-y-y-you…ancestor, w-w-what are you doing h-here, f-f-forgive t-this lowly servant” the elderly man said, the once mighty voice was full of fear.

“Enough. Boy. Come, let’s go” the voice said again, sounding extremely familiar to Philip. It was the instructor's voice, brute's voice

Brute came forward and picked up the devastated boy and walked out of the hall, obstructed by no one. 

Everyone was shocked. Ancestor, isn’t that the late patriarch of the sect, why would that man be here and what connection did he have with the boy?

After he brute walked out from the hall he looked at the devastated boy and felt sorrow and pain in his heart as he thought about how cruel and unfair fate can be. 

But, nevertheless there was still a chance. Those who had the determination and will could become anything. This is what the boy had lots of. 

“Kiddo, let’s go home.” Brute said as he slowly walked out of the city.

• edited February 2016
    Volume 1 Chapter 4

Their faces looked like the incarnations of demons. He tried to run away, but they followed him, hunting him.

“Trash”

“Failure”

“Useless”

They said, as the they laughed at him

“NOOOOO!” He shouted and ran even faster, he was scared and afraid.

There was no reaction or change from the crowd, just endless insults as they continued to hunt him

“Failure”

“Useless”

“Trash”

“AAH!” Philip woke up with a scream, his body completely sweaty. 

“Heh… this nightmare again.” He said out loud and started to laugh, trying to laugh it away, not succeeding.

This nightmare was a common occurrence nowadays, he would always wake up at exactly the same moment every time – when they caught up with him and were just an inch away from grabbing him, tearing him apart with their filthy claws and savoring his flesh with their sharp yellow teeth.

He rose from the bed to dress himself before going out to train. Even though he failed at the selection and was devastated, brute made him regain his hope. Philip still remembered the exact words brute had told him.

……..

“Kiddo, are you okay?” brute said as he slowly put Philip on the ground and made up a small camp for the night outside the capital.

Philip didn’t answer the question and quietly said as his entire body shook: “I’m a failure?

“No.” Brute said firmly as he was preparing to say something.

“The asteroid might only be a rock, but do you know what the fear of all things in the cosmos is? It is that rock. Philip, make your rock big, become strong and crush those who offend you. Deliver judgment to those things who killed your parents and every other evil you can see. The asteroid might not be strong in the early stages but i believe, with your rank 10, you can make it strong, stronger than anything, even the fiercest planet types.” He continued with a strong voice.

“I-I-Is t-that true, I-II can b-become strong?” Philip asked with a voice full of hope.

“Yes.” Brute answered.

… 

Since that day he decided something. He will not give up at any costs. Even though he may have close to zero talent compared to others, he shall not lose out. What he loses with being talentless, he will back up with hard work. If others practices 10 hours a day, he will practice 11 and if someone practices 11, he will practice 12.

Even though was going to do everything to become strong, he didn’t know if he could truly become strong. He wanted to believe what brute said but he couldn’t do it fully. The concept of an asteroid destroying a planet, sounded a bit far fetched for him.

He tried to show that he was not affected by the dramatic experience of the test in Firecloud sect. But even though he wanted to think he wasn’t, it was the same as believing that he could be strong, he couldn't fully believe it.

But the problem is, he has no Idea how to train himself except for body training. Brute had to leave for sect matters. Apparently he had resigned from matters a long time ago. But since he had a connection with the present patriarch, he had to go visit him since everything was a bit shaken up after his appearance in the test.

So how was he gonna cultivate star energy?
    Well, heck did he know. He heard some chatter about an academy that teaches about it, but that academy is located in the west direction of the village. But If he wanted to go there, he had to cross the wilderness.

The wilderness is a desolate type of forest talking up the majority of Canoi. 

Right now he was, as he usually was, doing weight training. He found out that his body was a lot more resilient now than prior to his star awakening. Maybe everyone who awakened their star had a much more resilient body.

The day was nearing its end and he was about to walk home as he heard a some voices behind him.

“Oh, what is the trash doing here?.” A voice resounded near his ear.

The voice felt familiar. It was the strong-built kid in the village. He was the one who took control of the situation in the group of kids when they were in the basement worrying about brute and the rest of the village.

“Nothing Jake, I was just about to walk towards the village.” Philip said and payed no heed to the strong-built, well not kid anymore, but Philip liked to remember people by what he had always remembered them as.

“Tch, looser.” One of the kids whom were walking after Jake like a fan club said disdainfully.

Surprisingly it was the nasally looking kid who was crying in the basement 5 years ago.
    He was forced to follow Jake like a servant.

“Let's go Berndt and Kyle” Jake said, or rather, commanding them.

He felt disgust for the nasally-looking kid named was Berndt. 

Why did he feel disgust? Was it because Berndt was weak? No. It was because Berndt had no pride, he was a spineless coward without the will to stand up for himself.

He walked home and was met by Melinda , she was like a mother to him. He had lived half his life with her and she felt even more real than his real parents. She was there for him to lay his shoulder upon both times when he was in the most desperate need for it.

He gave her a quick hug out of consideration, not wanting her to get sweaty. 

The days passed and he was gradually starting to adapt being alone, in the beginning it felt pretty lonely and boring to just train but here was something about it that he loved. Not being alone but training that is. The lovely feeling of becoming stronger.

As a year had passed, brute finally returned to the village from the sect.

“Yo kiddo, It has been a while, huh?”
  • edited February 2016
    Volume 1 Chapter 5
    “Hi brute” he said happily, he could hardly wait to ask brute about star energy and body training. “So how did it go... at the sect?” Philip’s eyes becoming a bit distant as he posed the question.

Brute, surprised by the question answered, “It went good, I was just catching up a bit with Brian, the patriarch."
    He clearly didn’t want to go into detail about the sect matters.

Brute continued, “So how is your training going? I can see that your body has gotten stronger”

Philip’s body had indeed become stronger. From doing weight training every day and increasing the weight every day, he had broken down his muscles every time and made them stronger.

“Hey brute, how do I measure my strength? What he wanted to know was if there was some kind of unit measure of strength. “Is there some kind of unit measure?”

Brute had been expected these kind of questions a while ago, the reason why he hadn’t just explained the basics about cultivation was because he wanted Philip to discover it himself and also wanted to know if he had the determination to cultivate not having a cultivation goal.

“Okay Philip, I suppose it’s time to tell you. “ brute said as he signaled Philip to sit down on the ground. As they were seated on the ground brute continued, “There are two types of strength measurements, bodily strength also known as “Force” and star energy also knows as “Power”. All cultivators use both force and star energy. “Force” is the base and “Power” is something you can use to amplify your base, making it stronger. It can also be manifested outside of the body, but that is not something you’ll be able to do now so let’s leave that.

He also explained that other than doing weight training you use your star energy to increase your “Force”. It is not as effective as using weight but in the long run it’s the best choice as it cleanses and rinses the body which will make it easier to advance in your cultivation . But what makes a cultivator a cultivator is his ability to increase the quantity of star energy by meditating.

"I will not go into detail about how you can amplify star energy, if my predicament is correct, you will learn by yourself in due time and to be told how to amplify asteroid star energy in the ways of how sun star energy, might not be the best idea."

After hearing what brute had said, Philip asked, “How do I meditate?”

“Haha, i knew you would ask that.” brute answered showing a glint of excitement in his eyes.

“Okay, sit like this” Brute sat himself in a lotus position.

Philip sat himself like brute, trying to imitate him.

“Hmm, you can’t begin to meditate” Before Philip had the time to ask why brute continued, “. Unless your legs, hips, and low back are very flexible, lotus postures tend to bow your low back and prevent you from balancing your torso around your spine. This will not only decrease your ability to absorb star energy but it will also cause you to have an increased chance of backlash.” He explained as he rose up to his feet, “Actually, I came to find you for a different thing than to explain these things”.

“Have you heard of the celestial academy in the west?” brute asked Philip not expecting an answer and was just about to explain what it was.

“Umm… well i don’t know if it was correct, but i heard some villages chattering about an academy and said it was some kind of school teaching about how to cultivate star energy” Philip was rather unsure about whether or not it was the the right school since the name “Celestial academy” sounded a bit too prestige for a couple of farmers in a run-down village to talk about.

“The celestial academy is a school which teaches about how to cultivate star energy but it teaches other things as well. To put it simple, it’s a school for cultivators. Brute said as gestured for them to walk back to the village. Right now they were in the forest where philip conducted his weight training.

As they were walking back to the village brute told him more about how one should sit when meditating as well as some tips which might come in handy in the future.

As they arrived in front of Melinda’s and his house and were about to part, brute said, “Philip, would you like to go to the celestial academy?”

Philip was stunned, “M-m-me, go to that academy, would I even be able to pass the test?”

“Haha no worries, the celestial academy is a bit special, the only requirement for one to join is for one to have a rank 8 or higher star. It doesn’t matter whether you have an ordinary star type, a sun type, a planet type or even an asteroid type.”

“But then... I will have leave Melinda…” he said sadly, not wanting to part from her.

“Philip. Do you want to become strong?” He put his hand on Philip’s shoulder before the continued, “Think about it, I’ll come find you in three days, if you haven’t decided by then, you will never have the chance to become strong”. Brute walked away leaving a quiet Philip, deep in his own mid.

After a while Philip went into the house, he was as always met by Melinda.
    dinner was ready and he went and took a seat at the dining table.

“So, how did training go today?” as she put a plate with food on the table where he sat.

Philip was quiet and didn’t answered the question.

Melinda got herself a plate of food, got seated opposite to him at the dining table and asked, “Darling, what’s wrong? Did something happen while you were training?”

“No.. well, the instructor came looking for me and we talked a bit after my training as we walked to the village.” Philip explained.

“Well that’s great, the instructor is a kind and strong man. So what did you talk about? She took a bite of the warm food. It was simple but good. It was some kind of meat stew with herbs. Meat was a rare commodity in the village but the instructor sometimes got some meat for them by hunting. He got them especially much now that he had just returned after a very long time.

Philip, smiled lightly as he said, “haha well, he asked if i wanted to go to a academy in the west to train myself. But I am fine here with you so I told him no.”

“If you are fine here, what do you train for” He got quiet as he heard what she said.

That’s true, if he was fine here, then why did he train so hard, to become a good farmer? No.
    It was to become strong, he wanted to make his own future, not restrained by other, not obeying someone else. He wanted to become strong enough to do whatever he wanted to.

“Umm, you know, to become a good farmer…” He said trying to fool her.

“Darling, you can’t fool me. You know, I am fine here by myself. I know you want to go to that academy. I will miss you, but i know that if I contain you here, you will be sad for the rest of you life.

“ I want to go, I'm so sorry!” He screamed as he began to cry, throwing himself over the table to hug her.

• edited February 2016
    Volume 1 Chapter 6
    Three days passed very quickly. As they say, time goes fast when you are having fun.

During this time Philip had taken a pause from training to spend his last days together with Melinda. Melinda was, as her husband was before he died, working on a farm and Philip was there helping her during these couple of days. In the evenings they were talking chatting and spending time with each other. Similar to how a real mother and son would do.

She even talked to him about a special type of girls. She told him that he should be careful about them since they might have ulterior motive. He thought she meant that some of them would want to hurt him, and in that aspect, he was partly correct.

If felt like It was the most peaceful days he had ever had.

In the evening of the third day, brute came to their house and ate with them.

As they were eating together, he asked, “So Philip, have you decided yet?”

Philip quickly glanced in Melinda’s direction, seeing her nod with a light smile on her face, he knew that it was a real smile and that she wanted him to go and realize his dreams.

He thought for a moment and gathered his courage. “Yes, I want to go” He answered, with a clear goal in his blue eyes staring at brute.

When brute heard Philip’s answer he got satisfied, “Good, you will depart tomorrow for the academy” 

“You’re not coming with me?” Philip grew apprehensive

“No, this is a journey you’ll have to do by yourself, it’s necessary for your cultivation” Brute furrowed his brows as he spoke, knowing it would be a tough journey for the kid.

Then he continued, “I’ll see you tomorrow, prepare yourself and say your farewells to Melina.”

He finished his food as he said“It was a very tasty meal” He nodded a thanks towards Melinda’s direction, opened the door and walked out, leaving Philip and Melinda alone.

In the morning he said his farewells to Melinda, and walked to the west side of the village where he was to met brute.

When he arrived at the west side he saw a silhouette of a big middle aged man standing not too far away.

Philip saw that it was brute, just looking at his body shape would be enough since there wasn’t anyone expect brute who had such a huge frame.

“Good morning kiddo, are you ready to leave?” Brute was dressed in a black leather armor which was looked very cool in philip’s opinion.

“Yup, I’m all set!” Philip wore his training garment which was quite worn-out and could barely fit him anymore.

Brute took a quick glance at him, “Catch” He threw two books, a map and some new clothes to Philip, as if he took them out from thin air.

“The first one is a book about the monsters of this world, read it when you have time, the next one is a book about the major powers in the world.” Brute said as he gestured Philip to follow him towards the forest.

“This is where we say our good bye, take care in the wilderness and remember not to light a fire.” brute said, walking away while waving with his hand backwards.

After he had walked about ten steps he stopped as he heard a yell behind him, “I will pay you back ten-fold for what you have done for me! I definitely will!”

“Yes, I will look forward to when you are strong enough to do that, kiddo” he thought and continued to walk back to the the village

…….

Philip walked into the forest. It was a rather cozy forest, surrounding the village. Inhabited by nearly no animals it was a peaceful forest, it was a miracle for the village to be surrounded by it, since no monster from the wilderness approached it.

He took up the map he got from brute and looked at it.

Apparently this wood was not the wilderness. The wilderness was located about 1 day of walking west from here and it covered a huge circumference.

While he was walking he took up the book about monsters and started reading about it.
    Divulging himself in different monsters.

He kept a steady pace as he walked and slowly it was nightfall. He made up camp by a river so he could both clean himself and drink some fresh water.

He couldn't read when it was dark so he started to train his flexibility so that he could slowly but surely sit in a lotus position later.

The walk was quick and he finally arrived to the exit of the forest. What he saw stunned him.
    He had never seen such a dense forest. What he saw was the wilderness.

Ancient trees that were centuries or millennia old, blotting out the landscape. All sorts of various grasses filled the land as well as thistles and thorns. Dry leaves covered the land, alarming any monster about you position when stepped upon.

Once in there you probably wouldn’t be able to notice what killed you even after you died.
    Since this was only the outer area of wilderness he was to cross to get to the academy, there was not so many dangerous monsters, but even then as he got further inside the section there was a lot of monsters that could easily kill him with but a strike.

Well, nothing could be learnt if one didn’t try. He took a deep breath, exited the cozy forest and entered the dangerous and ancient wilderness.

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 1

Three days passed very quickly. As they say, time goes fast when you are having fun.

During this time Philip had taken a pause from training to spend his last days together with Melinda. Melinda was, as her husband was before he died, working on a farm and Philip was there helping her during these couple of days.  In the evenings they were talking chatting and spending time with each other. Similar to how a real mother and son would do.

She even talked to him about a special type of girls. She told him that he should be careful about them since they might have ulterior motive. He thought she meant that some of them would want to hurt him, and in that aspect, he was partly correct.

If felt like It was the most peaceful days he had ever had.

In the evening of the third day, brute came to their house and ate with them.

As they were eating together, he asked, “So Philip, have you decided yet?”

Philip quickly glanced in Melinda’s direction, seeing her nod with a light smile on her face, he knew that it was a real smile and that she wanted him to go and realize his dreams.

He thought for a moment and gathered his courage. “Yes, I want to go” He answered, with a clear goal in his blue eyes staring at brute.

When brute heard Philip’s answer he got satisfied, “Good, you will depart tomorrow for the academy”  

“You’re not coming with me?” Philip grew apprehensive

“No, this is a journey you’ll have to do by yourself, it’s necessary for your cultivation” Brute furrowed his brows as he spoke, knowing it would be a tough journey for the kid.

Then he continued, “I’ll see you tomorrow, prepare yourself and say your farewells to Melina.”

He finished his food as he said“It was a very tasty meal” He nodded a thanks towards Melinda’s direction, opened the door and walked out, leaving Philip and Melinda alone.

In the morning he said his farewells to Melinda, and walked to the west side of the village where he was to met brute.

When he arrived at the west side he saw a silhouette of a big middle aged man standing not too far away.

Philip saw that it was brute, just looking at his body shape would be enough since there wasn’t anyone expect brute who had such a huge frame.

“Good morning kiddo, are you ready to leave?” Brute was dressed in a black leather armor which was looked very cool in philip’s opinion.

“Yup, I’m all set!” Philip wore his training garment which was quite worn-out and could barely fit him anymore.

Brute took a quick glance at him, “Catch” He threw two books, a map and some new clothes to Philip, as if he took them out from thin air.

“The first one is a book about the monsters of this world, read it when you have time, the next one is a book about the major powers in the world.” Brute said as he gestured Philip to follow him towards the forest.

“This is where we say our good bye, take care in the wilderness and remember not to light a fire.” brute said, walking away while waving with his hand backwards.

After he had walked about ten steps he stopped as he heard a yell behind him, “I will pay you back ten-fold for what you have done for me! I definitely will!”

“Yes, I will look forward to when you are strong enough to do that, kiddo” he thought and continued to walk back to the the village

…….

Philip walked into the forest. It was a rather cozy forest, surrounding the village. Inhabited by nearly no animals it was a peaceful forest, it was a miracle for the village to be surrounded by it, since no monster from the wilderness approached it.

He took up the map he got from brute and looked at it.

Apparently this wood was not the wilderness. The wilderness was located about 1 day of walking west from here and it covered a huge circumference.

While he was walking he took up the book about monsters and started reading about it.
    Divulging himself in different monsters.

He kept a steady pace as he walked and slowly it was nightfall. He made up camp by a river so he could both clean himself and drink some fresh water.

He couldn't read when it was dark so he started to train his flexibility so that he could slowly but surely sit in a lotus position later.

The walk was quick and he finally arrived to the exit of the forest. What he saw stunned him.
    He had never seen such a dense forest. What he saw was the wilderness.

Ancient trees that were centuries or millennia old, blotting out the landscape. All sorts of various grasses filled the land as well as thistles and thorns. Dry leaves covered the land, alarming any monster about you position when stepped upon.

Once in there you probably wouldn’t be able to notice what killed you even after you died.
    Since this was only the outer area of wilderness he was to cross to get to the academy, there was not so many dangerous monsters, but even then as he got further inside the section there was a lot of monsters that could easily kill him with but a strike.

Well, nothing could be learnt if one didn’t try. He took a deep breath, exited the cozy forest and entered the dangerous and ancient wilderness.

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 2

“Hello”, Philip said, not quite sure how to approach the guards, he had no letter of invitation nor an elder or instructor to accompany him.

The two cultivators who stood guard at the academy entrance looked at him strangely, his tattered clothes were full of holes, torn from old tree branches in the wilderness. His hair was disheveled and he smelled of old dried blood.

If not for his blue eyes, brown hair and wide smile, they might have mistaken him for a beast in human form.

His hair was disheveled and he smelled of old dried blood.

“Hello, who are you?” The cultivator to the right said, not sure either how to approach. It was not everyday he say someone who looked like Philip did.

Philip explained that he had crossed the wilderness to get here and as well as telling them that he wanted to enroll in the academy.

The same guard who spoke earlier took forth a bead and held it in his hand, “Put your hand on the bead, we need to see if you have the requirements to join the school, its policy.” He said.

Philip touched the bead and a resplendent light appeared.

“Rank 10, Asteroid” The guard confirmed as he gestured for Philip to walk through the entrance. He also gave Philip a map and told him where to go next.

After about ten minutes of walking, Phillip arrived to where he was supposed to go, a room with a door.

He knocked on the door and heard a voice Call out, “come in”

He opened the door and went in.

In he room sat an old man by a oak desk. The old man had white long hair, blue eyes which seemed to be filled with endless mysteries as well as a big white beard beneath his mouth.

“Ah, you must be a new recruit to enroll in the school? Why are you so early and why are your clothes so tattered, did you walk through the wilderness” The old man talked very enthusiastically which surprised Philip.

“Yes, I lived in a remote village. My instructor, brute, gave me directions and told me to go and enroll in his academy.” Somehow Philip had a feeling about not being able to lie to this man, the man’s eyes felt like they could discern any lie.

“Ooh, impressive Indeed... You may call me Garion, I’m the headmaster of this academy.”

Immediately after Philip heard what the old man had said his demeanor changed to one out of respect.

He knew about the law of the jungle and had personally experienced it. To become the headmaster of such a prestigious cultivation academy, Garion ought to be very strong.

“Yes sir, If I may ask, where is all the other students, it seems like I’m the only one here?”

*Sigh*

“Well it’s like this, the academy’s enrollment starts in about two months, so the students haven’t arrived yet.”

“We can fix a room for you in the meantime for you to stay. When you enroll, you’re to share a room with another one of the new students.” Garion explained to Philip.

“Okay, yes please sir”

“Also, if it isn’t too much to ask, could you explain how the school works? My instructor never really told me.” He said to garion.

“What’s your name?” Garion answered Philip’s question with another question. It shouldn't even be allowed to call it answer.

“Philip” He answered.

“Okay, Philip. So this school is called the celestial academy. To graduate, the students have to reach the fifth rank.” When he saw Philip looking like an question mark, he continued with, “In this world, the human power levels are divided into 10 ranks. Beasts power ranks are divided the same, 1 being the lowest while 10 being the highest.”

“Looking at you i can deduce that you have yet to reach the 2 rank. Your body psyche is however similar to a rank 2 cultivator. It seem like you’ve done your strength training.”

“I suspect you haven’t yet begun to cultivate a technique? What star type do you have and what rank is it?” garion asked.

“Asteroid, Rank 10” Philip answered, getting ready to be laughed at.

“That’s quite interesting young man, not many people have rank 10 asteroids, if you are diligent, you may become quite powerful.” Garion said before continuing explaining about the academy, “There are four important places in the academy”

“The first place is the market. Here students can exchange things with each other. they can also sell them to the academy for glory points which is the currency of the academy.”

“The second place is the library. Here students can study different cultivation techniques for a certain amount of time depending on how much glory points are payed. There are five floors in the library. The first floor is free and can be accessed at any given time, it contains common-level techniques. The second floor costs about 1 glory point per hour and has uncommon-level techniques. The third floor costs 10 glory points per hour and contains
    rare-level techniques, rare-level techniques are a lot more powerful than uncommon ones but they take longer time to learn. In comparison the fourth floor contains epic-level techniques, it does however cost 100 glory points per hour. The fifth floor is a restricted area, it is only accessible for me, the headmaster, and those whom i give permission to enter.”

The third place is the cultivation tower and the rooms within. The cultivation room are rooms in which there is easier for cultivators to cultivate star energy. In reality the room is made by a certain material which increases one’s focus and one’s connection to their star.

The fourth and last place is the Arena. Here students can, even if we try to persuade them not to, settle their differences. That is the only place in the academy where students are allowed to fight. If they are discovered fighting outside it, serious punishments will be delivered. even life-and-death battles are allowed in the arena.

There are two events in the school which happens annually. The first is...
  • edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 3
    There are two events in the school which happens annually each year regardless of circumstances.

“The first event is the newcomers tournament. It’s held in the arena and the prizes are very good for new cultivators. Even to cultivators who have graduated, they hold value.

"The prizes are everything from glory points to special privileges or even private apprenticeship to eccentric teachers.

“Well, technically the private apprenticeships are not prizes as they are something totally unrelated to the competition in itself. But if you impress the some teachers or make them take interest in you, they might want to apprentice you. And since the most common occurrence of apprenticeship is at the tournament, it can be seen as such.

“And I can ensure you as eccentric as they are, if they deem you worthy, they will impart everything they know to you…” As Garion said the last sentence sadness was shown in his eyes, “They will do anything to protect you…”

“The second event is simply called “survival training. It encompasses all students in all classes and is made to be a training where they are to survive in the wilderness for one month.

“There will be a ranking at the end of the month which displays all students and ranks them according to whom gathered most beast beads... Garion said before abruptly stopping.

“Boy, do you know what beast beads are?” Garion asked him not knowing wether Philip knew or not.

“Yes, I actually got some on my way here from the beast I killed.” Philip answered. he had no idea if he should be proud or not – he had after all, no idea what the general strength was of cultivators in his age group.”

“Okay, well, killing beasts and selling their beast beads to the school is one of the most efficient way to gain glory points, their skin, fur or scales, may also hold some value for different jobs, such as blacksmiths, alchemists and so on.

“Anyways, about the second annual event, the last thing you need to know is that there are no rules in wilderness – that allows killing

“Well, of you go, get to room 765, it will be yours until the new semester begins.”
    Garion urged Philip off after pointing out where he should go on the map given to Philip by the guard as well as giving him the room key he needed.

He took off and went to room 765 by following the map.

…….

The room was quite spacious but only covered the necessary things human cultivators needed, which is to say – nothing
    The room was completely completely empty.

“Well, It’s not like i need anything else at the moment” he said and sat down on the floor and started to meditate, focusing on increasing his connection with his star.

Strengthening his connection with his asteroid typ star wouldn’t really yield any results until he got a technique but it was better than nothing and either way, his body was very sore from the journey so he couldn’t to strength training.

It was the first time in years after embarking on the journey that he could finally relax, his whole being letting go of the defensive posture.

As such, the months gradually passed as it was time for the new semester of the celestial academy to start.

…….

He had spent these months with quiet meditation, strength training and most of all the longing to select a technique to study in the library, he really wanted to become stronger.

It was finally time for the his enrollment in the academy and it made him very excited. Today was the the day.

He went out of his room and its dormitory.

He was instructed by the headmaster to go to classroom 1D where his class were to gather.

He came to the classroom, took a deep breath and went in.

The classroom was filled with young people. Some of them had extravagant clothes and proud looks on their faces.

He guessed that they were sons or daughters from wealthy families.

He say down in the middle of the classroom.

Suddenly a guy on his right stretched out his hand, “Yo, I’m Lucas, what’s your name?”

Philip took Lucas’s hand, rather shocked by this straightforward guy. The guy, Lucas, had blonde hair and a big smile. Somehow, even with his crude face, Philip believed that Lucas was rather popular with the girls.

“I’m Philip, nice to meet you!” He was guide happy as he said that, he made his first friend in the academy.

…….

“Hello students of class 1D, my name is Sandra and I’ll be the teacher in charge of your class as you stay in the academy.

“Compared to other schoolsoft this academy is quite different. We don’t have any regular schedule, it’s completely up to each of the students to decide how they want to spend their time.

“The crux is however that the students of the academy whom doesn’t perform good enough, are not allowed to stay.

“So I this as your teacher, perform well or I will personally remove you” The students in class 1D all felt chill crawl up on their spines.

“Well well, i hope we can have a good time here together and I hope you all will enjoy yourselves!” Her smile was very bright and enthusiastic but her new students only saw a scary grin upon thinking about the consequences of bad performance.

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 4

Apparently he and Lucas were to be roommates which he was very pleased about. They were each given a copy of room key number 547.

Lucas was the only one in the class whom he had spoke to and had got a good impression from. He was neither arrogant nor foolishly proud. He was actually quite humble but nevertheless, he was fun to talk to.

They had decided upon going to the market and take a look. Philip was very curious to see what price his wilderness acquired beast beads would fetch, how many glory points he would get from the school in exchange for the beads that is.

As they got to the market it was already bustling with cultivators from the academy. Many were trying to advertise their products or items by shouting out loud what they sold and for how much. Lucas had said that the majority of the items weren’t as good as the sellers said they were.

“How do you know stuff like that?” Philip asked Lucas. he was rather surprised how much Lucas knew about cultivating items.

Lucas explained, “Well you see, my father is a cultivator merchant. Even though he is pretty low in terms wealthiness as he only exchanges low-level cultivator items, he knows a lot and had me educated early about such things”.

Philip was just about to reply to Lucas answer as he heard some voices behind him, “pfft, such unrefined people, I feel disgust upon looking at them”. A voice said.

“Young master jake, please be conservative, not everyone is as good looking and brilliant as you”. Another voice replied in a flattering manner, clearly trying to win the favor of this so called “young master”.

Philip and Lucas turned around to see who spoke.

In front of them was a group of cultivators. In the middle stood a young male cultivator waving a white fan. The young master seemed to be about 20 years of age. around him stood other cultivators.

“Yes yes indeed. Not everyone can be like me, I’m unique, let's get away from them, they are very ugly and smell like shit” The young master said once again arrogantly. His words showed a clear lack of proper vocabulary. He had been pampered since birth which clearly showed his family’s wealthiness and he hated poorly dressed people.

Lucas took a step forth angrily and said, “Unique? You're so ugly, every time your mother looks at you she says to herself, “Damn, I should have given head.”

Before the young master had time to respond Lucas continued, “Oh I am sorry, she doesn’t even look at you.”

The young master was shocked. He had never thought someone would dare to verbally attack him as this guy did. he responded, “Good good, I see you got some guts. I hate people who doesn't have a spine, they are worse than dog shit.”
    He was not mad at all.

He then turned around to the rest of the group, “Come let's go”

After they had disappeared into the crowd of the market Philip turned around and asked Lucas, “Why did you get so mad?” He had never seen this side of Lucas and was very surprised.

“I absolutely despise such people, they are worse than scum in my eyes.” Lucas replied to Philip. Philip decided to drop the matter for the moment and asked, “Wanna go check out the place where we can sell items to the academy? I have some beads I would like to sell.”

Lucas answered Philip, “Sure, If i memorized the map correctly, It should be quite close to here.”

As they walked through the market towards the academy’s exchange hall Lucas taught Philip a lot about different cultivation items.

Other than beast beads which were used as a cultivation resource there was also cultivation weapons, cultivation armors and other cultivation accessories. Some could directly amplify his star energy while some could give other effects like improving his connection while wearing it. Those were however quite expensive and was made by the same material as the rooms in the cultivation tower.

Cultivation weapons, cultivation armors and other cultivation accessories were divided into four tiers – uncommon, rare, epic and legendary. Each tier was further divided in low-quality, medium-quality and high-quality. What non-cultivators used was called common tier. For example, a iron sword with made by ordinary metal by an ordinary blacksmith would be called common iron sword. On the other hand, if the blacksmith was a mortal blacksmith and was very skilled, he could make a high-quality common iron sword.

Blacksmiths who also are cultivators could infuse their aura when they make the sword. The cultivation gear made by cultivator blacksmiths would be from uncommon to epic tiered.

Beasts beads and other parts from beast bodies could be used by alchemists to make elixirs and potions. Elixirs can be used to restore star energy in cultivators bodies while potions could be used to heal. Alchemist are very rare and therefore elixirs and potions aren’t common wares.

They finally arrived at the academy’s exchange hall. They walked towards the counter where an old man sat.

Philip took forth some the beads he had collected and asked the man, “How much can I get for these?” He had brought up three albino snake beast beads as well as a couple from different monsters.

“You can have 2 points from each of the albino snake beast beads, they are quite rare and has a bit easier energy to absorb than others of the same rank.” he said.

After pausing for a moment he continued, “I’ll give you 1 point each for the other beast beads, they are ordinary rank 2 beads.”

The old man’s hand flashed and the beads disappeared.

“Here's the glory points for the beast beads, I advise you to go study a cultivation technique in the library, I see you haven’t begun to practice one yet.” The old man gave him the glory points. The glory points were coins made of some sort of orange metal. Afterwards, The old man gestured for them to go away.

Philip and Lucas walked out of the hall and stopped outside. Philip said to Lucas, “I’m gonna go take a look at the library, I need a technique to study.” he really needed to choose a technique

“Okay, well, I’m gonna go take a look at the arena, i’ll catch you later.”

After they had said their goodbyes Philip took out the map and started walking towards the library.

Once he came to the library he saw another old man by the counter. This old man seemed to be even older and sat there very lazily.

“Senior, I wish to go to the third floor of the library, could senior show me the way?” He raised his arm and put 10 glory points on the counter.

The old man replied, “Very well, follow me.”

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 5

Philip followed the old man into a spacious and cozy room.

“This is the third floor. You have one hour, afterwards I’ll come and get you. Use this opportunity well.” The old man said as he transformed into a ray of light and flew out of the room. Philip wondered how the old man pulled that stunt. Maybe it was it a special skill or even possibly, his technique?

Techniques are the foundations of cultivators. He’d asked Lucas about it and Lucas told him that if he collected star energy from his star though the connection he would store it in his mind world.

When a cultivator practices his or her body, he would use the energy gathered in the mind world and force it to go through the body according to the technique. The process would remove impurities and force the body to gradually become stronger by adapting to the star energy. Tempering and strengthening the body is a very arduous and painful progress, it’s one of the reasons many people tend to neglect their bodies and focus on gathering star energy in their mind world.

The use of “star energy gathering-rush” makes the foundation very shaky since the body is the “force” which is amplified by the “Power”. It’s one of reasons not to neglect the body training and the process of improving the “force”.

Skills on the other hand, had no effect on the foundation. You could call it temporary. Skills were just means to use star energy gathered in a peculiar way.

There are four different categories in skills.

Movement skills, skills used to either improve the speed or agility of the user or produce some special effect which is beneficial to the user in movement – Usually chase, run away or in fight.

Offensive skills, skills used to offensively attack the opponent of the user. Not only could the skills produce effects which is good offensively but also amplify star energy by a certain degree when used. Offensive skills can also be used to conjure star energy outside the body.

Defensive skills, skills used for defending. Defensive skills are very usually skills used to strengthening your body temporarily with the use of star energy but can also be used to conjure star energy outside the body

The last category is the category for everything else. A skill which isn’t from the offensive, movement or defensive categories.

The room on the third floor of the library was filled with books of different colors and shapes. Even if they were different in both color and shape, they were neatly stacked in the bookshelves.

He started to look around.

Some books had both a technique and a few skills suited for the technique but most only had one technique or one skill. The most books he checked in weren't suited for asteroid, they weren’t focused so much in tempering and strengthening the body and were more focused on gathering star energy.

He searched and searched but couldn’t find any techniques suited for asteroid.

“Time’s up” The old man said and appeared behind him.

Philip followed the old man out to the main entrance. The old man sat himself behind the counter.

“May I ask for senior’s guidance?” Philip asked the old man. He really needed to find a technique to practice. This old man was the guardian of the library, he probably knew quite a lot which could benefit Philip. Philip was quite bright and understood that if only the old man guarded the library, he ought to be strong.

“You may.” The old man replied and gestured for him to continue.

Philip took a deep breath and said, “Senior, I couldn’t find any techniques which suited me.”

“What star do you have?” The old man asked him.

“I h-have an asteroid, rank 10.” Philip answered the old man’s question. He expected yet again to be laughed at even though he wasn’t at the main entrance to the academy. It was the mental trauma from all those years ago, always resurfacing at times of doubt.

“Oh, very interesting indeed… I remember there should be a suitable technique for you at the first floor. Whether you can find it or not will be up to yourself. If you can find it, I’ll make an exception and give it to you — if you find it, It’s your to take away from the library.” The old man said while pulling his beard up and down as old people did when being in deep thinking.

“Many thanks to senior, junior will take his leave to the first floor, may senior stay well.” Philip said sincerely, bowed toward the old man and began to make his way towards the first floor located beside the entrance.

…….

The first floor was crowded. Many students were sitting or standing as they studied different techniques or skills.

Damn, trying to find the one technique which the library’s guardian recommended would be the same as finding a needle in a haystack, nearly impossible. It wasn’t only a matter of finding the book and go, he had to carefully look in each book and see if it suited him, even those which other people was reading.

But hey, wouldn’t it be worth it? A technique suitable for him which he could bring away from the library for free?

Where should he even start?

He looked around and suddenly saw a sign, it said, “Discarded” He’s usually very curious so he went to take a look.

Below the sign a tray of books lay. apparently these were discarded books. he wondered why they were discarded. He picked up the closest one and opened it. As he read the first few rows of text, he was severely disappointed. he now understood why they were discarded.The techniques in the discarded books had not only very high requirements but they also didn’t yield many benefits in comparison to other techniques with lower standards and easier cultivation method. He searched and searched before finally stopping his hand. On the book’s front page which he stopped his hand at it was written in big letters, “Meteor fist”.

Meteor fist?

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 6

Meteor fist?

He opened the book to take a look at its contents, he was utterly speechless – there was only one sentence, but it felt like so much more for him. It described what a meteor was yet didn’t say anything concrete. It was simply impossible to express with words.

He determinedly flipped a page. On the next page it stood, “Meteor’s hardness”
    The first two lines were explicitly describing how to cultivate star energy according to technique while the two latter ones described how to refine the body, “Refine the body to become like the meteor, hard and indestructible – the bane of all” The process focused on strengthening the whole body with focus on the bones, flesh and skin. The bones are after all the hardest things in the body and the more they’re strengthened the harder the punch would be. The skin had to be strengthened because it’d give a overall good defense. The flesh also had to be strengthened to give a good all round defense.

He flipped to the next page, he was very excited. On the third page was a technique, he was overjoyed. Everyone knew that techniques and skills which were suited for each other would give birth to better synergy which would give birth to more “force”. He casually flipped all the pages in the book and discovered there was about five technique in the book, two offensive, one defensive, one movement and one from the last category, which were neither defensive, offensive or movement.

Philip put the book within his sleeve and walked out to the counter.

“Senior, junior has found a book of his liking and wonders if it’s this book which senior meant?” Philip said. He very much hoped it would be this book, if he could bring it home, it’d simply similar to finding a treasure.

“Oooh, seems like you found the correct book, very well, you may bring it with you.”
    The old man said seemingly quite happy for Philip.

“Thank you senior, junior will leave now, stay well senior.” Philip said to the old man and similar to last time, bowed sincerely.

As Philip was just about to walk out the main entrance he heard the old man, “boy, what’s your name?”

Philip answered with a slight smile, “Junior’s name is Philip.”

…….

Inside room number 547

His room mate Lucas had yet to return and Philip was very eager to start so he began.

He opened the first page of the book. He followed the descriptions. he’d already made a connection with his star so he could directly begin to cultivate star energy. He began.

He thought himself as an empty vial to be filled. The connection was above him and according to the natural laws of the world, it should fall down to him. Sadly it didn’t.
    He tried several different methods which included thinking himself as a fat sheep and the star as a big bad wolf, then it had to come down to him. I mean come on, it was free food for the wolf. It didn’t work either

Suddenly he got inspiration. If he could make a connection with his star, couldn’t he just ask the star to let him have energy. He sat down on the cold wooden floor and started to meditate. When he felt he’d connection with the star he said though the connection, “My friend, could i borrow some of your energy?"

At that moment, he felt something. He couldn’t see it, he couldn’t touch it, he couldn’t smell it, he couldn’t taste it. But somehow, he felt as though he could control it. So he tried.
    To his happiness, he could control it. He took control over the star energy and forced it through his small connection from up above. after what seemed like an eternity, finally some drops of star energy fell down from the connection and into him. The star energy entered his mind and BOOM. He felt his head spinning and everything went black.

…….

Philip woke up and heard a familiar voice behind him, “Good morning phil. It’s okay if I call you that right?”

It was Lucas.

Philip was still not really awake but mumbled, “sure…” He suddenly sat straight up remembering what had happened before he had a blackout.

He sat himself into the meditation posture and tried to feel his mind. There was a whole world inside. It was his mind world which every cultivator had. It contained star energy.

His mind world was very beautiful. Right now he stood in a grove, it was the grove where he’d been attacked by the snow tiger. The still light seeped in from the tree crowns and yet again he was astounded by the sight, it was truly beautiful. he heard birds twittering and a waterfall splashing.

He discovered that the air was weird, it was like there was something intangible in the air. As if something was different from normal air in the world. He felt as though he could control it.
    He finally understood. The star energy wasn’t something he had pulled to him through the connection. He’d simply discovered it.

Everything he thought was wrong. He’d merely discovered his mind world, not created it. His mind world and star had always been connected, the star had provided the world with star energy.

He focused and tried to draw in the energy in his body, it worked. Only some small bits came in though. He used his meteor’s hardness technique and forced it to go through his body. It was quite easy and compared to what had been written in the books and told to him by Lucas, it was a process free of pain. He felt his “Force” gradually becoming more powerful.

What didn’t know was that no one except him could enter their own mind world. For them it was as Lucas had told Philip and how the books described it, the energy was stored in their mind world and they could control and force it through the body. It was a much harder progress for them as they had to force it from the mind world located in their head while Philip could simply to absorb it into his body from the air when he was inside his mind world.

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 7

*Later*

Philip exited his mind world and discovered that he had finally attained rank two.
    Rank one and rank two is the barrier between ordinary mortals and cultivators. Since he only did strength or body training prior to this, he had only been at rank one.

The moment a cultivator begins to cultivate star energy, he attains rank two.
    There are three stages each rank. Early, middle and late. At the moment, he’s early stage rank two in “Power”.

Now, how did Philip know this? Well, actually he received a special bead from Lucas before. The bead wasn’t like the one which could determine star type and star rank, this one could determine what stage in both “Force” and “Power” cultivators were.

His force was actually rank three, which he was surprised about. He remembered the headmaster telling him that he was rank two when he was rank one in star energy.

“Well, nothing comes from guessing, I’ll wait until I’m stronger to determine what’s true and what’s false.” He thought and rose from the lotus position.

He looked around himself, Lucas had yet to come back, why?

“Hmm, I’ll continue to meditate and familiarize myself with the mind world, If he hasn’t come back by the time I open my eyes again, I’ll go look for him”He sat down again in the lotus position, eyes closed.

…….

The next day.

Lucas had yet to come back, Philip was worried. He decided to go look for him even though he had no idea where to begin. After all, it was only the second day of school for him, he had yet to familiarize himself with the academy. After much consideration, he decided to go take a look in the market first, it was the place where Lucas said he would go first.

As he rose up and was about to go look for Lucas, the door was abruptly opened.

“Lucas! What happened?!” Philip asked with a loud voice. Lucas came inside the room and fell down on the floor. Blood seeped out from his side. He was badly hurt and fell down on the floor, coloring the wooden floor crimson red

Lucas could barely breath but still pushed out a few words from his mouth, “He challenged me, I accepted… Don’t go and… don’t…” Lucas’s face was red. He twisted himself in pain clearly on the verge of losing consciousness.

“Don’t worry Lucas, don’t worry, It's going to be alright, you’re going to be alright…” Philip teared apart his ragged clothes, still not changed since he came to the academy. He applied pressure to the wound to stop the flow of blood by temporarily stopping the blood flow with strip from the ragged clothes.

…….

He sat next to Lucas’s current bed in the infirmary. After putting pressure on the wound, he had immediately taken Lucas into his arms and traveled as fast as he could to the infirmary which was beside the library in the academy.

The sitter in the infirmary told Philip that Lucas would be alright as long as he could rest for a couple of weeks. Other than having left lung punctured Lucas had also severely damaged his mind world. He had overused his star energy.

“Whoever did this to you, I’ll get revenge” Philip said to Lucas inwardly, he would definitely get revenge for him. Lucas was his first friend ever both in the academy and the outside world. If it mean fighting, so be it.

*cough* *cough*

Lucas eyes twitched, finally opening. Lucas, not yet adjusted to the light and couldn't see who it was, asked,”who are you?” His panting was still irregular which showed the graveness of his injury. Even though he was given a minor potion to recover.

“Who did this to you?” Philip’s eyes showed killing intent, he was used to kill. What does it matter if it was human. Killing beasts and killing humans. Both involves killing.

“No… he is too strong for you…” Lucas softly said.

But after seeing the killing intent and resoluteness in Philip’s eyes, he finally surrendered.
    He sighed before saying, “The young master we met the other day, he challenged me to the arena. I had luck to even survive...”

Before Lucas had the chance to finish his sentence, Philip had already left. 

…….

The bustling market was the same as usual. The sky was blue, the bright sun stood high and the clouds were white as a maiden’s dress.

Suddenly words boomed out, full of killing intent, in the the market plaza. Louder than everything else, “Jake, you wounded my friend, I challenge to to the arena, do you accept?” Philip's words bellowed like thunder.

The crowd was in an uproar. Everyone knew who jake was. He was the Young master of the Fullblood family, eldest son of the family head.

They were very curious, who was this boy with so much Killing intent, what had Jake Done to him?

Suddenly a group came forward, It was Jake and his followers. They stopped a couple of metres in front of him.

“Hmm, you’re that trash’s friend, did you come for revenge? Jake arrogantly said with a sneer. His followers laughed. His face reminded Philip of a snake's, very sharp and but with hints of viciousness.

The people in the crowd held all their breath. They wanted to know what would happen next. How would this turn out, would Jake accept?

“Accept my challenge. Or are you a despicable coward?” Philip said, trying to taunt Jake.

Jake furrowed his brows, showing a glint of anger in his eyes,“You dare to proclaim me to be a coward, do you have a death wish?” He fell for the bait. Being a young master of the Fullblood family he had grown up being pampered and flattered and never been told that he was a coward.

Philip chuckled inwardly and said, “That’s very insulting for cowards, You are worse than a coward.”

Veins bulged from jake's forehead as he said, “I hope you have dug your grave, trash.”

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 8

“I accept. When do you want to get slaughtered in the arena?” Jake said excluding a sharp chill within his gaze.

Philip smiled slightly and curled his lips as he noticed jake’s gaze. "Hmph, how arrogant."
    “Three days, when the sun is at its highest.” He replied. 

He walked away not even waiting for Jake’s reply. He had to go train. Philip had heard about rumors about jake’s strength, he was early rank two in “Power”. He didn’t really know about jake’s “Force”, but he expected it to be at least late rank two, if not higher.

As he returned to the room, he immediately sat down in lotus position, closing his eyes and returning to his mind world.

…….

As he opened his eyes, he was back in his serene and peaceful mind world. Except the voice of the forest, it was very quiet, the perfect place for cultivation.

He began to absorb the invisible star energy from the air. When he had first entered his mind world yesterday, he could only absorb small small particles through his skin into his body. Now, he had broken through rank two and could absorb noticeably faster. Not a lot faster, but a slightly faster than before.

The energy which resided in his body continuously refined and purified his body. His body cells gradually became stronger and tougher.

He tried to yield energy, coat his arms in it. To his surprise, it worked. The star energy’s color was a bland between dark red and brown and could be manipulated to his will around his body. He could focus it to his fingertips, to his feet, to his face. Essentially everywhere he wanted to. He felt a slight heat from the energy, he could use it if he was cold sometimes in the winter instead of a blanket. He chuckled at the very thought of it.

He would show the conceited jake what power was and punish him for what he did towards Lucas. 

He clenched his fist, the dense star energy around his fists surging bringing about the power of extermination, as if Yama’s invitation had come.

He rose up from lotus position and darted out like an arrow towards the nearest tree, punching it.

His punch exploded the part of the tree it hit like a volcano, throwing countless of tree fragments out in the air.

However, only after less than a second, it reformed. it was as if nothing had happened.
    He tried punching it again, the same thing happened. Hmm, so it doesn’t matter how much here I destroy, it will always reform to its original condition.
    He was sweaty and black impurities covered his body, as if he never had taken a shower in his whole life. 

He walked towards the sound of water splashing, the forest around him was full of life, he could barely believe this was his mind world. How come his mind world was filled with life, only planet types were supposed to be filled with life. “Well, no rush. I’ll discover eventually.

As he neared the lake he took of his clothes and jumped in the lake, enjoying the pure feeling of having it surround his body. He felt very relaxed.

Wait, clothes? He looked towards the pile of clothes on the ground beside the lake.
    Would it be possible for him to store things within his mind world. He hurriedly went up from the beach and put on his clothes on his wet body not caring to dry himself. He covered his whole body with star energy and saw steam rising up from his body. Apparently the steam could dry him from water, sweet.

He ran towards the place where he meditated prior to going to the lake and checked his pockets. yes, he was correct. He still had glory points left from the library which he stored in his pockets.

He put a glory point on the ground and sat down in lotus position, focusing on returning to the real world.

As he came back to the real world and confirmed he was back, he immediately went back to his mind world again.

In the forest he located the glory point on the ground and was overjoyed. He could store items here. He wondered if he could store living things within this world, but he had doubt.

He went back to real world, took the book on the floor beside where he sat before returning to his mind world.

As he sat in the forest he opened the book. The first page had the cultivation technique to gather star energy from his connection with the star and make it flow around his body. But since he was in his mind world, he had no need for the technique in the book since he could directly absorb it from the air in his mind world. He flipped to the second page and read the title, “Meteor fist”
    Philip suspected this was the skill which made the creator of the book famous. He was very eager to learn it as he really needed more power to fight jake. 

He began to follow the instructions to perform the meteor fist

“Strike like a meteor from outer space. Fast, powerful and resolute. The destroyer of planets, the harbinger of destruction. become like it and reign terror upon those whom opposes you.”

As such the days passed, it was the third day and the time to fight jake in the arena.
    In the lotus position within his mind world, Philip’s eyes opened. They showed a hint of mystery and ancient profoundness. 

“We shall see whom of us will destroy who”

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 9

The arena was full of people. Many of the lower ranks, rank one up to rank three, were here to watch the spectacle. Not simply because the young master of the fullblood family had been challenged, but also because he had been challenged by a first-year, a newcomer.

The arena was build like a coliseum. The stands were filled with people and the arena floor was made by marble, signifying the wealth of the academy. 

Not only had the newcomer insulted jake and his bloodline but also showed disrespect. The cultivators who had come today all believed that this newcomer who challenged young master jake would be defeated easily.

Jake had the ability of a early rank three cultivator in power as well as late rank three in Force. The sheer power given by the amplification of both power and force in those stages, gave the ability to a cultivator to kill a mortal with a flick of a finger.

The newcomer whom challenged jake was supposedly named Philip. The cultivators who had come today didn’t believe him to be more than rank two, if even that since most people who come to the academy are of common birth. It means that most of them had yet to be given a chance to practice a cultivation technique before arriving, any less the chance to cultivate a skill.

Jake practiced the famous skill which made the fullblood family known to the world, “blood finger technique”. The technique based itself upon mainly enhancing the finger to entities harder than steel.

With sufficient cultivation, a practitioner of the technique could easily split apart the seven seas and great mountains with a flick of a finger. Of course, jake hadn’t yet reached such a cultivation base and wasn’t nearly as fearful.

Soon the sun would be at its highest point and Philip had yet to arrive.

Jake stood in the middle of the arena with an arrogant look. “So the trash has yet to arrive, I didn’t suspect any less. He said, loud enough for the crowd to hear it.

The crowd though the same, Philip was a coward and didn’t dare to even show up.
    just as they were about to laugh, a silhouette came into their view.

As the silhouette got closer, a smile of ecstasy revealed itself upon jake’s lips, “So the trash came after all” He said clearly mocking the silhouette.

As the silhouette came into view, the crowd saw it was boy, seemingly in the late teens.
    It was Philip.

Philip’s silhouette flickered as he was taking a gentle stroll as he descended onto the arena.
    He and jake stood in front of each other.

“So after this, how do you prepare to tell you parents that their son has died?” Jake said, mocking Philip once again.
    Philip smiled indifferently, “You’re like a dog, you can only bark. 

He looked at Jake, The guy was dressed in nice silk clothes while he himself was dressed in ragged clothes full of blood. It was a miracle they were still wearable to this point. He decided in his heart to buy some new clothes after this.

Jake looked at him and , “I’ll allow you to punch me three times without me retaliating, after that, I’ll kill you.”

The surrounding cultivators shivered. They knew it wasn’t an empty threat. Jake was known for killing people in the arena. Many of them had come to watch the battle between him and another newcomer a couple of days ago. Luckily the newcomer had escaped from the arena with only minor wounds.

“You clearly lack the ability to make me punch you three times and survive.” Philip said before continuing ”I’ll give you an opportunity, if you can take this one punch from me, I’ll refrain from taking you pathetic life.”

*rumble rumble rumble*

As he finished, layers upon layers of brown and dark red star energy twisted itself around his body. He took an imposing step forward and the strong killing intent radiating from his eyes became a formless hurricane as it engulfed everything in the arena including jake.

Every cultivator has the ability to develop killing intent, or pressure as it’s also called. It comes from killing, lots of killing. Philip discovered it when he wandered in the wilderness for years as he made his way to the academy. Killing intent is not something formed by quality or quantity of star energy, power. Neither is it formed by bodily strength, force. Killing intent comes from killing. Pure killing, exterminating other life forms.

Jake was terrified, the pressure almost made him suffocate and the thick scent of blood reeked.

Philip took a step forward and said, “One punch, if you can take it, I will spare your life.”

*whoosh*

His figure flashed and he arrived in front of jake. “Meteor fist” He blurted out and the brown dark red star energy converged itself around his fist as the fist traveled towards jake’s face.

Jake could barely get up his arms to defend himself before the punch hit him.

*bang*

He flew away like a sandbag, hitting the wall of the arena. Blood revealed itself where he landed. No one knew if he was dead or not.

“Whoever hurts or offends me or my friends, I don't care who you are, I will kill you” Philip said coldly to the crowd before slowly walking away from the arena, not even caring to look back.

Everything was quiet, the surrounding cultivators on the stands all held their breath. Jake, the young master of the fullblood family had been defeated just like that, by a newcomer. They had never once believed that Philip would have a chance.

But they now understood they had been totally wrong. Jake never even stood a chance from the beginning. He offended this newcomer by hurting his friend and payed the sin with blood. Jake didn’t know the difference between the sky and the earth and that was his downfall. Philip used only one punch to defeat him. 

With just one move, the victory was decided and jake’s fate was sealed.
  • edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 10

A couple of days already went by and the rumor was spread all across the academy.
    Jake, the ruthless bully, had finally been defeated. And nonetheless, it was by one of the newcomers. He immediately became the laughingstock of the academy and lost face to his family. It was a great humiliation.

Jake didn’t die, but he was still badly wounded and even with the help of several potions from his family, he took some time to recover.

He brought trouble upon many and was an existence which only served the purpose of stopping the emergence potential geniuses. Several students were bullied by him and now had an easier time. Sadly enough, it would only be temporary.

Jake’s older brother was within the top hundred of the school’s ranking list. Even though he was barely inside it, it meant he was at least fourth stage in power, an entity which Philip wouldn’t be able to resist for even one breath if fought with. The difference in strength between ranks increases the higher one cultivates. 

If to look at it from another perspective. A cultivator in early rank two could probably stand his ground versus someone in middle rank two. However, if a cultivator in the early fourth rank faced of versus a cultivator in middle fourth, he would not even stand a chance. That was the difference. The strength multiplied each layer. However, this was only true if the cultivator had the same power and force. 

*A month after the fight*

As of right now, Philip was cultivating in his mind world. His sat in the usual lotus position and revolved the star energy from within his body, constantly refining and improving.

Prior to the battle with jake, or rather, the slaughter of jake, he attained middle rank two in power. Now, he was close to breaking through to the late rank two. He just needed a final push and didn't know if it was because he something else than painstaking cultivation.

In a veteran cultivator’s eyes, it would be called a bottleneck. Bottlenecks are common and they’re the reason why a lot people of doesn’t even break through to rank two.

This was Philip's first bottleneck as he was directly promoted to rank two when he entered his mind world and absorbed star energy. Neither did he have one when he entered middle rank two from early rank two because of an external factor, battle stimulation.

He gave up on trying to break through and exited his mind world. Currently it was less than five months until the newcomer’s competition where he had to perform well if he wanted good rewards. 

He hoped to become the discipline of one of the teacher, so he really had to impress them. Philip also wanted to show the library guardian his power as of a “thank you” for hinting about this book.

He hadn’t yet started to train any other skills from the book and only focused on the meteor fist. The meteor fist skill was very profound. He felt as though he had only mastered a very small part of it. It was deep and contained many mysteries which clearly showed how advanced the creator of the book was.

He exited his mind world, rose up from the lotus position and walked out of the room.

*three days later*

Philip walked through the entrance towards the wilderness. He talked to his class teacher and she told him that he needed external stimulus, namely life and death situation for his star energy to make a qualitative leap and enter late second rank.

After he walked through the gate, he darted like an arrow towards the forest.

The ancient forest which blotted out the landscape was as quiet as it always had been.

Everything was safely stored within his mind world.

As he advanced to middle rank two before the battle with jake he got a new feature of his mind world. He discovered it when he was at home, he could, with a flick of a finger, store thing in his mind world as well as taking them out from within.

It could also further enhance his battle ability when he’d use potions and elixirs or beast beads in the future. After all, potions could heal injuries and elixirs or beads beads could 
    refill his star energy for further use.

As he strolled through the the forest at a slow pace, he discovered his first beastly opponent since joining the academy, a fiery bull.

A fiery bull ranked among the highest within the category of rank two. it had great defensive ability and could even breathe fire from its mouth. It’s every day one sees a bull breathing fire. 

The fiery bull often went solo and its fur was quite valuable for blacksmiths since they could produce cultivation armors from it.

Maybe i should get myself a cultivation armor from it I’ll see if i can find a blacksmith when i get back from the academy. Well of course, only if I can beat this bull that is.

He chuckled lightly before charging towards the bull.

The bull saw him and immediately engaged in breathe of fire.

*Swoosh*

Philip was as vigorous as a monkey and evaded it by a hair's width. Except for some parts his new clothes becoming ash, he was alright.

*ta* *ta* *ta*

His fist became a storm, leaving afterimages in the air as he appeared in front of the bull.

The bull groaned in pain before Philip used his technique’s signature move, meteor fist, to smash a hole in its head, instantly killing it.

His eyes twinkled with delight as he dug out the bead within the beast's head muttering, “Hoo, it seems like I highly underestimated myself”

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 11 (SHORT)

Philip popped a beast bead into his mouth and munched on it, crushing it with his teeth.
    One could tell by the bloody claw mark on his cheek, he was at a severe disadvantage.

He radiated a strong killing intent towards what stood in front of him a couple of metres away. His face was grim yet he had a look of calmness. He understood that useless thoughts would only impede him, slowing down his reaction ability which could very likely turn him into a useless corpse.

The opponent this time was a late rank three baneful hound. Baneful hounds often hunted in packs. But were at the same time often only found in deeper parts of the wilderness, considering its ability to even threaten early rank four beasts. 

Luckily, this one was ahead of its pack and believed it could handle him by itself, therefore it had not yet called for its pack for aid.

He called upon star energy from his mind world, after a while covering his body like a brown dark red armor able to be seen through. 

*cha cha*

The energy made sound as it manifested and increased in intensity. Both him and the beast looked at each other and then, at the same time, they moved.

The hound pounced towards him trying to swipe its claws to shed blood again. Its fierce eyes showed only the thirst for blood. The hound gave of a baleful aura, befitting its name.

*bang* 

He threw a solid fist out, smashing into the paw of the hound. Sadly, the paw contained a larger strength than his fist and he was tossed aside like a ragged doll.

He could barely stand up before the beast came into his view again, this time trying to bite him. 

Philip put force into his right leg, narrowly dodging to the right. 

Countless of thoughts flashed by in his mind.

Am I really going to end like this? Is this all I can amount to? Will I not stand upon the summit of the cultivators? 

As the hound charged towards him time stopped. Everything became still, as if it all was a picture drawn by a painter.

A majestic, soft yet hard voice erupted like a volcano from within his mind, “Brat, do you want me to lend you my power?

• edited February 2016
    Volume 2 Chapter 12

Yes

Subconsciously, without even thinking, he said yes. Not only would it be something which would save his life many times, but it also meant severing the chains which bound him to his destiny.

“Very well, I shall grant you my power.” The voice said within his mind.

Without warning, boundless of star energy erupted forth from his mind world into his body. Violent and frightful star energy, it felt like his own. Yet it didn't

The air around his body twisted and layers upon layers of star energy materialized an armor upon him. The armor shone with an resplendent light. Brown. Dark. Red.

It wasn’t simply an armor of energy, it was real! He had never seen nor heard of star energy materializing, it was a first! 

He was interrupted in his thoughts by the voice which asked him if he wanted power.

“This is how much of my might you can handle at the moment. When you make it out off this predicament, you know where to find me” The same majestic voice said.

Wait, who are you? And why can you speak in my mind??

The voice didn’t reply, it had silently disappeared from his mind. 

Time gradually began to to spin and the originally quiet picture returned to reality.

The hound and the rest of the world frozen in time gradually began to melt before returning to what it once was.

The hound pounced towards him with its fierce eyes and sharp claws.

But, he felt so powerful, he felt as though nothing could bind him. As if he could streak across the sky, soar like an eagle. As if he could float about in the cosmos yet become a force to be reckoned with, a harbinger of destruction. He felt fast, strong and resolute.

It was hard to explain. However, one thing was certain, the beast was already dead.

*ta*

He simply struck his arm out, so fast it ignored the sound. The air compressed itself around his fist as it hit the hound.

What he saw afterwards astounded him. 

The dog was gone, he had almost completely removed it from existence. Other than a couple of minor body parts which lay on the ground. 

He looked at himself, he was wearing an armor similar to the color of his energy. He looked like a knight, yet he held no virtues of the knight nor did he uphold justice.

He looked like an avenger, as he had always wanted to be. Yet he was not. He didn’t care about good or evil, if someone wronged or offended him, he would avenge himself. It didn’t have anything to do with justice or morals, it was a way of living.

This was his path to reach the summit of cultivators. He didn’t cultivate for anyone else but himself.

Gradually his armor started to reform into energy as it once again returned to his mind world through his pores. Only leaving behind a faint memory of supreme strength and the reeking smell of blood in the air.

He dug out the hound’s beast bead and removed himself from the so called crime scene. It would only take a couple of breaths before other beasts caught the intense smell of blood with their nose and came over to see what had happened.

If he was there at that time and something higher than late rank 3 came, he would have some problem. After all he was only in early rank three power. 

It was quite weird. after he heard the voice, he broke through. But he didn’t only break through to late rank two, he broke through directly to early rank three. And what was that voice? It had said he knew where to find it, he had no clue.

As he had walked further away from the crime scene, he climbed up upon a tree. He wanted to meditate so he really needed to find a spot where he wouldn’t be disturbed.

He was rather far up and decided that where he was would be a good place to meditate. 
    So he sat down in lotus position, closed his eyes and entered his mind world.

He opened his eyes but was alarmed. His mind world had changed.
    Up in the sky he saw not only the two heavenly bodies, the sun and the moon but also stars. 

“Stars? How can there be stars in daytime?” He said out loud, very surprised.

“Because you broke through from the second to the third rank” someone said behind him.
    He immediately turned around and saw an old fragile-looking man, supporting himself with a walking stick.

“W-w-who are you? And how can you be here in my mind world?” Philip inquired with a shaky voice. Who was this old man and how could he be here?

The old man’s eyebrows twitched a bit in irritation and replied, “Darn it brat, your head is thicker than mount tai, I’m the one whom you owe your life to”. His face was filled with wrinkles yet had a strong overbearing. His jaw was slightly angular, giving a fierce disposition. It was af if the old man was a sword whom could be unsheathed at any moment. Deadly. 

Philip’s mouth made a small “O” before he said, “Thanks, but still, How and why are you here, in my mind world?” He was grateful for the help of the old man, yet he didn’t understand how the old man could be here.

The old man’s eyebrows twitched even more, he was clearly annoyed. 
    “Let’s just say I’m here to help you become stronger. Do you want to become powerful?” The old man asked.

“Yeah but I–” Philip said before getting interrupted by the old man.
    “Great, nice to meet you. You may call me teacher” The old man said not even noticing Philip’s facial expression.

Philip was shocked, this old man whom had not only entered his mind world now told him that Philip was to become his student.

• Volume 2 Chapter 13

“Now sit down and listen to your teacher. Ah! by the way, you may call me Sam” The old man said and for some reason, he hit the cane in his hand lightly on the ground.

As Philip was about to say something Sam exerted pressure making Philip fall to the ground, down on his knees.

The pressure almost made him suffocate before easing up, allowing him to breathe.

This sam must’ve killed many people or beasts, I’ve never once seen or felt such a strong killing intent in my lifetime before.

“Don’t interrupt your teacher” He continued with a barely noticeable grin on his face.

“B-but I–” Philip exclaimed before he was interrupted by sam.

“I can read your mind.” Sam explained to him. Sam smiled when he saw Philip’s pale face turn even paler upon hearing what Sam said.

Sam’s eyes seemed as they could see through him completely, even more than garion, the headmaster of the academy.

“Hmph, your technique is barely qualified with your lineage, after all, you are his…” Sam muttered quietly not loud enough for Philip to hear.

“Okay so boy, tell me, why do you want to become strong?” Sam asked him, lowering the pressure again so that Philip could speak more easily.

Philip pondered a bit before saying, “I have no specific reason. I just… I suppose I’m just very curious to see what it looks when I stand upon the summit, more powerful than anyone else. Neither do I want for anyone to be stronger than me. I hate being weak, I hate the feeling of being powerless and not being able to defend those close to me.”

As Philip finished speaking, the old man laughed.

“Hahahahahahahaha, that’s the best answer I’ve ever heard! Curious...” Sam said, bellowing the last word as he dried the currently tears coming out from his eyes with his right hand because of this supposedly comical scene.

Sam thought to himself, “That’s right boy, only by wanting it for your own sake can you succeed. To reach it with your own bare hands! A true cultivator doesn’t cultivate friendship or meaningless love, they cultivate strength, pure strength to overcome the heavens and reach the seven seas”.

“Okay, then I’ll teach you how to become strong. Go on, tell me what kind of skill you want!” Sam said and gestured for Philip to tell him. This old man who was earlier annoyed and grumpy, suddenly became eager and happy. Philip didn’t usually believe in miracles. But this time, he really couldn't find anything else to explain this astounding phenomenon.

Philip though for a moment:

hmm, this old guy seems quite knowledgeable and he showed lots of self confidence when he told me to tell him what skill I wanted to learn. But I already have good skills from my book. What I need know isn’t new skills. I need to learn how to battle.

He clenched his fists and said, “I don’t want a skill!” It wasn’t as if he didn’t listen to what the old man asked him, he just wanted something else.

“Hoo, then what do you want brat? Sam replied seemingly interested in Philip's answer. Yet sam's facial expression and speech didn’t reveal what his real thought were,” What the fuck? It’s the first time I’ve told someone that they can choose any skill they want which I know of. Usually men would throw away and give me their wives just for a chance to get a few tips in cultivation for me. And now this brat says he doesn’t even want a skill from me?!”

“I want you to teach me how to fight” Philip said firmly. If his prediction was correct, this old man called sam was even more powerful than the headmaster in the academy. Not only that. He also thought that sam was somehow connected with him or his star and that's the reason why sam wanted him to become strong.

Sam felt his scalp go numb, this kid actually understood what he needed most as a cultivator. Sure, the kid was proficient in killing beast but if faced with a human cultivator who had been trained by in the art of fighting since young, he would be defeated.

If the “force” is amplified by the “power”, how does a cultivator utilize “Force” in the best possible way? Thats right, through the art of fighting. There are different arts of fighting, to make it simple, they are called arts.

“Boy, do you know what an art is?” Sam asked Philip. Seeing him shake his head Sam continued, “While skills are means to use your “power” in a certain way, Arts are means to use your “force” in different sets of movements in coordination with your skills.”

“For example, let’s take that brat you beat up in the arena a bit more than a month ago. He cultivated a bad technique which focused on enhancing his fingers. He also had a skill which focused his star energy, “power”, in his fingers to produce a deadly slash if used.”

“Bad technique? wasn’t that a epic-level technique?” Philip though quickly before resuming with listenening to sam.

“What would happen if he cultivated an art which focused on kicks? Would it make him utilize his force and skills in the best way?” Sam explained before asking him a question.

“No, because the finger technique is not kicks and his skill is not about kicks, it’s about using your fingers, namely hands.” Philip replied after thinking and progressing the information he was given to by sam for a while.

Sam then continued, “Exactly, that’s why choosing an art is very important. however, the good thing about arts is that compared to techniques, they can be switched.”

“Then do you have an art of fighting which suits me?” Philip asked hopefully. His eyes twinkled with happiness as if he had seen a pile of treasure. His clenched his fists for the second time when speaking with sam, this time, out of excitement.

Sam did't respond but wide smile still hung on his face. Philip understood what he meant.
  • Volume 2 chapter 14

*A bit less than 5 months later*

A young man sat in the oak-brown forest of the wilderness. The aged trees had creaking branches, revealing one’s presence to deadly predators if not careful. The morning stars were shining like silver snowflakes, illuminating the man.

His brown hair had grown to his chest, showing the mighty passage of time. Even though the hair was long and not cut, it didn’t seem messy at all.

His young and tender face had matured, with a slightly more angular jaw than before. Yet when he opened his eyes, they were the same as the always had been. Deep and profound, cold like a pond.

His body was no longer the one of a boy. Dense lean muscles covered him his whole body. He was similar to old man sam. Like a sword which could be unsheathed at any time. Only well, if the scrawny figure was disregarded.

That’s right, it was philip

He took his hand towards his head, covering his eyes from the rays of the sun. It was daytime and the wilderness was as it always was, quiet.

“The newcomer’s competition should be in a couple of days now, I need to return. I wonder if lukas is fully recuperated as well as being ready for the competition. The preliminaries starts soon.” he silently mused for himself.

*Swoosh*

Karyl and Daryl, two twin brothers from class 1E stood guard at the entrance. Standing guard yielded them 2 glory points per ten hours. Extremely boring but worthwhile.

They were commoners without techniques, they had to earn enough glory points so that they could go study techniques in the library. But sadly, weren't strong enough to hunt beasts or do other jobs which yielded more glory points.

“So, do you think we’ll even make it past the preliminary rounds daryl?” Karyl asked in a slightly dejected manner to the daryl beside him.

“Of course not Karyl… I know it’s hard to… but we really need to accept the facts, we are new to the world of cultivation, we haven’t even gotten ourselves a technique yet!” Daryl answered also very dejected.

“But I mean, It’s not like we’re in a hurry.” Daryl tried to cheer up his brother.

“Yeah, but maybe we can learn something by watching. I mean, some of the newcomers are really strong.” Daryl said with eyes showing of a glint of excitement.

“Yeah I know. Hey dude, did you hear about that guy called philip?” Karyl asked his brother also very enthusiastically.

“Yes of course! Everyone has. Rumors said he defeated that jake guy with one punch. Just one punch!” Daryl exclaimed with burning passion, “I hope one day I also will be able to defeat my opponents with one punch. It would be amazing.” he continued.

“Aaah, come on brother stop dreaming” Karyl said laughingly giving his brother a friendly punch on the shoulder.

Suddenly Daryl pointed with his left hand, “Hey dude, look! Someone is coming.”

Karyl turned around and looked to where his brother pointed.

As the silhouette from far away came closer, Karyl and Daryl took vigilant postures.

They were after all, hired as guards and had to do their duty.

They looked at him. He seemed to be in their age yet he radiated some sorts of aura presence they hadn’t experienced by someone as young. It was the aura of a cultivator.

Daryl and Karyl looked at each other, Daryl giving a slight nod towards daryl.

“Friend. Are you a student of the academy” The brother on the left, Daryl, asked the stranger.

The stranger replied indifferently with a short sentence, “I am.”

Daryl took a deep breath and said, “Per regulations of the school, what grade are you in and what’s your name?”

The stranger replied in the same voice, indifferently, “Philip, class 1D”

*Swoosh*

The stranger disappeared like a gust of wind through the entrance into the academy leaving Karyl and Daryl dumfounded.

Both brothers looked towards each other. Daryl asked Karyl, “Brother, you know who that was right?

Karyl replied with a wide smile plastered upon his face.

A couple of seconds after they both said at the same time, “Awwwwesomeeee*

After Philip had entered the academy he headed towards his and Lucas room.

As he walked through the opened the door and walked in, a familiar voice was sounded, “Yo, is it you philip?”

Philip sarcastically replied to the question, “No, it's spöket laban.

Lucas came out and gave him a hug. He never expected Lucas to have such friendly feelings towards him. Maybe it was because Philip had gotten revenge for him earlier. After all, saving someone's life is usually regarded as a friendly act.

“Are you ready for the tournament phil? You ought to be pretty strong in this batch of student. After all, you defeated jake” Lukas asked. He hadn’t changed a lot under these past months.

If he had to point out one thing it had to be his smile had gotten even wider. Though it was impossible unless he trained in some devil smile technique. He decided to ask old sam later. Of course, only as a joke. 
    He had truly experienced hell when he cracked some jokes when they were training. He still sometimes felt as though his arm still ached from that goddamn cane. That goddamn cane, it looked like an ordinary wooden cane. Yet it was harder than steel.

• Kool story man. Hope u keep writing!!
  • Bodyrefiner99 said:
    Volume 2 Chapter 3
    There are two events in the school which happens annually each year regardless of circumstances.

“The first event is the newcomers tournament. It’s held in the arena and the prizes are very good for new cultivators. Even to cultivators who have graduated, they hold value.

"The prizes are everything from glory points to special privileges or even private apprenticeship to eccentric teachers.

“Well, technically the private apprenticeships are not prizes as they are something totally unrelated to the competition in itself. But if you impress the some teachers or make them take interest in you, they might want to apprentice you. And since the most common occurrence of apprenticeship is at the tournament, it can be seen as such.

“And I can ensure you as eccentric as they are, if they deem you worthy, they will impart everything they know to you…” As Garion said the last sentence sadness was shown in his eyes, “They will do anything to protect you…”

“The second event is simply called “survival training. It encompasses all students in all classes and is made to be a training where they are to survive in the wilderness for one month.

“There will be a ranking at the end of the month which displays all students and ranks them according to whom gathered most beast beads... Garion said before abruptly stopping.

“Boy, do you know what beast beads are?” Garion asked him not knowing wether Philip knew or not.

“Yes, I actually got some on my way here from the beast I killed.” Philip answered. he had no idea if he should be proud or not – he had after all, no idea what the general strength was of cultivators in his age group.”

“Okay, well, killing beasts and selling their beast beads to the school is one of the most efficient way to gain glory points, their skin, fur or scales, may also hold some value for different jobs, such as blacksmiths, alchemists and so on.

“Anyways, about the second annual event, the last thing you need to know is that there are no rules in wilderness – that allows killing

“Well, of you go, get to room 765, it will be yours until the new semester begins.”
    Garion urged Philip off after pointing out where he should go on the map given to Philip by the guard as well as giving him the room key he needed.

…….

The room was quite spacious but only covered the necessary things human cultivators needed, which is to say – nothing

“Well, It’s not like i need anything else at the moment” he said and sat down on the floor and started to meditate, focusing on increasing his connection with his star.

Strengthening his connection with his asteroid typ star wouldn’t really yield any results until he got a technique but it was better than nothing and either way, his body was very sore from the journey so he couldn’t to strength training.

It was the first time in years after embarking on the journey that he could finally relax, his whole being letting go of the defensive posture.

As such, the months gradually passed as it was time for the new semester of the celestial academy to start.

…….

He had spent these months with quiet meditation, strength training and most of all the longing to select a technique to study in the library, he really wanted to become stronger.

It was finally time for the his enrollment in the academy and it made him very excited. Today was the the day.

He was instructed by the headmaster to go to classroom 1D where his class were to gather.

The classroom was filled with young people. Some of them had extravagant clothes and proud looks on their faces.

Suddenly a guy on his right stretched out his hand, “Yo, I’m Lucas, what’s your name?”

Philip took Lucas’s hand, rather shocked by this straightforward guy. The guy, Lucas, had blonde hair and a big smile. Somehow, even with his crude face, Philip believed that Lucas was rather popular with the girls.

“I’m Philip, nice to meet you!” He was guide happy as he said that, he made his first friend in the academy.

…….

“Hello students of class 1D, my name is Sandra and I’ll be the teacher in charge of your class as you stay in the academy.

“Compared to other schoolsoft this academy is quite different. We don’t have any regular schedule, it’s completely up to each of the students to decide how they want to spend their time.

“The crux is however that the students of the academy whom doesn’t perform good enough, are not allowed to stay.

“So I this as your teacher, perform well or I will personally remove you” The students in class 1D all felt chill crawl up on their spines.

“Well well, i hope we can have a good time here together and I hope you all will enjoy yourselves!” Her smile was very bright and enthusiastic but her new students only saw a scary grin upon thinking about the consequences of bad performance.

• Bodyrefiner99 said:
    Volume 2 Chapter 3

…….

…….

…….